homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
8 for Readiness (critical fail, I think, given Gunriana's curse), so she's completely oblivious to the change at the moment.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
You realise that all the survivors look *a lot* older than you remember from the Kavetseki - perhaps a good twenty years or so older - you look down at your own hands and see them changed by age. Please could the two of you make story outcome posts, up to you if you share this observation with others.

I don't like this much at all...

Yeah, fine, I could have read the updated character sheet really carefully, and then would have spotted that you changed "mid twenties" to "middle aged" in my character description. But that word change is so easy to overlook, in particular with so many other more obvious, drastic changes - and apparently everybody else did overlook this as well.

Such ageing was not clear from the GM introduction posts, in spite of being a major game changer. And it is simply incongruous in character now. It is hard to believe that somebody in his mid twenties would not notice earlier being in their mid forties. Perhaps if they are wandering around solo. But I've been talking to five players already, and seeing at close distance seven players. I don't need a readiness throw to see two decades of ageing in the faces and bodies of so many people that I know!

I think this should have been stated clearly in meta, perhaps with instructions for us to roleplay this as dawning on us in story. Now this needs to be fudged a posteriori.

And more generally speaking, I am a bit astonished at the sheer level of setup interference with the characters here, which is out of player control and simply imposed. And I can't even complain, I've merely lost gear that I had spent quite some time designing for my character, traded a point on my key enabling potential for a skill that I didn't want, and now apparently need to play a different age range than I intended to do. If I had been playing Jetse and lost an arm on a fighter character willy-nilly, I would have simply quit.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Whoops, I posted on the story thread without noticing that Mary's situation had changed. Updated post coming soon!)
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
If I had been playing Jetse and lost an arm on a fighter character willy-nilly, I would have simply quit.

Which is odd, since I see this as a chance to make my otherwise kinda boring meat shield (oh my, an old grizzled soldier with Secrets who doesn't talk much but can kill any bad guy, how original) into a more dynamic character. How does he react to being disabled? Does he even think of himself that way, and why or why not? How has this changed his perception of himself and his role in life? What does it mean that he lost his "bad" arm, the one with the really nasty scar, rather than his (presumably dominant) one? How does a soldier who used to have a trademark two-handed weapon cope with life now that he's only able to use his emergency sidearm; does this make everything an emergency? For that matter, how does he deal with the loss of his weapons, which might be slightly important to him? Does he even mind missing out on 20 years of his life? Does he even think he really did?

There are a lot of questions I'm playing with now, and, the more I do, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that Jetse got off too easily.

Not that our esteemed GM should take that as a hint, mind you.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oops, sorry GM. I rolled a 7 for the ***find hidden***, but forgot to ask you what I'd found as I was looking particularly for my cooking pot. My bad. I wasn't sure how many items I was allowed to find, either, as you posted that finding items (plural) would be easy for me. I was kind of hoping that if I rolled a 4 I could find 4 things, if a 6 then 6 things. A 7 might give me 3 more if the pot, lid, ladle & crab are counted as 4?

[ 03. June 2014, 05:20: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Readiness roll for Clawdine = 2.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
oops, sorry GM. I rolled a 7 for the ***find hidden***, but forgot to ask you what I'd found as I was looking particularly for my cooking pot. My bad. I wasn't sure how many items I was allowed to find, either, as you posted that finding items (plural) would be easy for me. I was kind of hoping that if I rolled a 4 I could find 4 things, if a 6 then 6 things. A 7 might give me 3 more if the pot, lid, ladle & crab are counted as 4?

When you examine what you have found in more detail, you will find them badly damaged by sea water. The cauldron is discoloured, pitted, and in some places rotted through.

[ 03. June 2014, 06:37: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clawdine's Readiness roll - you are still somewhat mazed, and you do not notice how you are changed - unless another character points this out.

[ 03. June 2014, 06:15: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

IngoB, Iam sorry you do not like the set-up.

The fact that you feel/look/are 20 yrs older, does not mean your attitudes and sense of yourself are necessarily those of an older man. From a story perspective, the effects of shock, and the lingering effects of your exposure to the dark magic are seriously dulling/mazing some aspects of your perception.

If/when your character gets to somewhere with traders he will presumably attempt to resupply himself. What you lost was mundane equipment, so that should not be too hard.

However, if you really do not want to play in this scenario, I can take over Jack as an NPC.

[ 03. June 2014, 07:11: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
8 for Readiness (critical fail, I think, given Gunriana's curse), so she's completely oblivious to the change at the moment.

Oh dear, see story thread for outcome.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Anti-social alto, roll to find hidden at easy difficulty - if you succeed you find enough driftwood for a fire. If you fail, the wood you find is too waterlogged to use.

You can write your outcome post on the story thread (unless you roll a 1 - if you roll 1 post here and I will tell you what happens.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Banner Lady, please make an understand nature roll at easy difficulty - and tell me the result here.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel very conscious that I've caused a degree of mess in the game with my clumsy role-playing. Would it be alright to post my prospective contributions on this thread first, so someone (DT or any other player who knows what they're doing) can check it before I post it to the story thread?

BTW, I really like the whole ageing thing. It's quite intriguing as there will obviously be all kinds of implications, and, let's face it, its the drama and intrigue that makes this fun.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, fine, I could have read the updated character sheet really carefully, and then would have spotted that you changed "mid twenties" to "middle aged" in my character description. But that word change is so easy to overlook, in particular with so many other more obvious, drastic changes - and apparently everybody else did overlook this as well.

Such ageing was not clear from the GM introduction posts, in spite of being a major game changer. And it is simply incongruous in character now. It is hard to believe that somebody in his mid twenties would not notice earlier being in their mid forties. Perhaps if they are wandering around solo. But I've been talking to five players already, and seeing at close distance seven players. I don't need a readiness throw to see two decades of ageing in the faces and bodies of so many people that I know!

I had noticed. I didn’t (and don’t) think it particularly implausible that after a severe physical and emotional battering, the aging effect was not immediately obvious to our characters. They have no reason to expect to see it, and the explanation that would most immediately come to mind for their companions looking different is that they have all narrowly escaped drowning extremely recently. My IC posts were shaped by the character changes: Gunriana has lost a rank of Inspiration, so my first post opened on a note of dejection and failure. As she is physically older, I had intended her healing embrace of Daniel to be slightly maternal as well as slightly scary.

TBH, I think it was quite a bold GMing decision to change all the characters significantly. If I were GMing, I would have hesitated to do something like that in a heroic fantasy game (though I’d have done it without qualm in a horror game like Call of Cthulhu, and in a dystopian game like SLA, I’d have tried harder to make sure every character lost something they really cared about). That said, a good story justifies all, in my opinion, and I like it that we have a GM willing to make bold calls. I’m happy to see where we all go with this.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Which is odd, since I see this as a chance to make my otherwise kinda boring meat shield (oh my, an old grizzled soldier with Secrets who doesn't talk much but can kill any bad guy, how original) into a more dynamic character.

Presumably you could have enjoyed all these changes to your character as well if you had been asked first (on meta or by PM) whether you were OK with having your character fundamentally altered. I create characters that I like to play the way I designed them.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
There are a lot of questions I'm playing with now, and, the more I do, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that Jetse got off too easily.

If a character is overpowered for a campaign, then that should be fixed in the pre-game discussions.

quote:
IngoB, Iam sorry you do not like the set-up.

What I actually was complaining about was a lack of communication.
  1. Pre-game negotiations of the characters are there to make both sides happy. For significant changes I would like being asked first OOC, or being able to influence outcomes IC by my own play.
  2. I think something as obvious as two decades of age change at least should have been hinted at on meta ("Something is different about your characters that is visible, but you may not notice it at first.") I need clear info OOC to roleplay IC sensibly.

quote:
However, if you really do not want to play in this scenario, I can take over Jack as an NPC.

Hmm, you keep on pressing the wrong buttons for me. Jack is my character, my "intellectual property". If I stop playing, then so does Jack - unless I give permission for it to be otherwise.

Anyway, I rolled an 8 vs. readiness, so I guess Jack will stay oblivious to the age change until people around him make sufficient noise about it. I think I will simply wait till that happens, and then make an outcome post expressing my surprise.

quote:
I didn’t (and don’t) think it particularly implausible that after a severe physical and emotional battering, the aging effect was not immediately obvious to our characters.

Jack was sufficiently in shape in the set-up mentally and physically to search the beach together with Er. I hence exactly assumed that he had rebounded quickly as appropriate for his character and his youth. Jack knows Er reasonably well, but still missed his greying. Jack then talked to four more people and observed three others, and he still has no clue so far. It's a stretch...

quote:
That said, a good story justifies all, in my opinion, and I like it that we have a GM willing to make bold calls.

Touching my character is like touching my underwear. There's a difference between boldly asking and boldly doing.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a stretch...

But it's not real. It's a story. A fantasy.

That's the whole point, isn't it? I mean, how much fun would it be to role-play the story of a group of office workers in a council department in Droitwich on a Tuesday morning?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Banner Lady, please make an understand nature roll at easy difficulty - and tell me the result here.

rolled a 5

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

IngoB, it is impossible to surprise characters (or players) if I tell them what is happening in advance. Nor can they then use their skills and roleplay to discover for themselves what is going on.

Any enemy you encounter, and any environment you experience potentially changes your character - as I am devising these it is inevitable that I will change and impact your character at times - (but for the rest of the game that will happen in meta and story not in the direct alteration of character sheets). It is part of the continuous experience of the roleplay.

I can't soak you in salt-water and make you experience the grief of loss - making changes in advance is the nearest analogue to that I can manage. Your charaacters need adversity to overcome and some sense of a shared goal to bring them together - the shipwreck provides that in this instance.

(If at some point you withdraw from the game and don't want your character NPCd then you can either kill him off or post about him striking out on his own - this applies to all players.)

[ 03. June 2014, 11:12: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

rolled a 5
Thanks, that's a fail so nothing happens.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not going to do a readiness roll for two reasons:

1) I'm about to go use healing on Gunriana;

2) It's entirely plausible for my character (who has hardly aged at all) to not notice human aging, as he's pretty unfamiliar with it and very shell-shocked.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rolled a 6. I will go find some driftwood...
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Hart, please roll for healing at easy difficulty - please do an outcome post on the story thread (unless you roll a 1 in which case please post here and I will tell you what happens.)

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Any enemy you encounter, and any environment you experience potentially changes your character - as I am devising these it is inevitable that I will change and impact your character at times - (but for the rest of the game that will happen in meta and story not in the direct alteration of character sheets). It is part of the continuous experience of the roleplay.

I can't soak you in salt-water and make you experience the grief of loss - making changes in advance is the nearest analogue to that I can manage. Your charaacters need adversity to overcome and some sense of a shared goal to bring them together - the shipwreck provides that in this instance.

Whereas I was not the most motivated or driving participant from the set-off, I'll throw in that I do think this was a bit far down the railroad (already laid-out tracks) for my taste and, to me, quite a turn-off. I'll stay in the game and might post later, but I'm rather unenthusiastic at this stage. This could probably also be explained with personality and/or generation, but yeah, I think this was a bit too different from what was implicitly signed on for, even if one can choose to see the upside of what it turned out to be, like Ariston does.
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
It's a stretch...

But it's not real. It's a story. A fantasy.

That's the whole point, isn't it? I mean, how much fun would it be to role-play the story of a group of office workers in a council department in Droitwich on a Tuesday morning?

Well, suspension of disbelief only goes so far before it breaks into a different genre. Hamlet can juggle a skull sidelined with gravedigger Cockney comedians, but he doesn't waltz with the skeleton to the music of some wandering chamber orchestra passing by. Even a GM's nylons can have its limits, and hiding 20 years of aging on 5 different faces is a little bit much even for the best of stockings IMO. (I so wish I could truthfully write IME instead of IMO there.)

Still, these are minor issues in the long run, and more of a note for future games and challenges on where the balance should be struck with regards to disbelief suspenders and railreeling. Most importantly, I deeply appreciate the great effort the GM has put in to running this and the previous game. Thank you, Doublethink! (Please don't turn Frithwynne into a newt!)

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I ok-ed it, but can I please swap some other skill for Etiquette on Daniel's character sheet? The more I think about it, the more inappropriate for Daniel's character it is.
Daniel acquired Navigation, based on Readiness, on his last adventure. Would that do instead?

[ 03. June 2014, 13:33: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daniel uses ***Occult*** to work out:
a) whether we've just been unconscious for twenty years, or whether we've been aged twenty years over a shorter period of time;
b) if the second, whether the curse can be lifted by some method (whether or not the means to do so are immediately on hand).
He rolls 9, and 12, if those are two separate questions. Obviously b) is what he really wants to know.

[ETA Duplicate post deleted, DT, Circus Host]

[ 03. June 2014, 17:01: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DT, was your description of the blades Frithwynne finds supposed to tell me that they're too deteriorated for use? Or is it possible that they are usable? And/or is that something we have to work out IC?

~~~~~~~~~

Frithwynne would like to use the water-soaked wool bales to make some useful felted objects such as boots and blankets, quick before they congeal into unusable blocks useful only for building igloos or forts. (Unless fellow characters would like a fort?) Does this require a die roll, and if so, can Frithwynne use a Potential, or is Frithwynne blocked from doing this because she doesn't have a specific ***Making Felt*** Skill?

I don't quite understand when we can use Potentials and when we have to have a specific Skill to do something.

Ironically, even though I was so doubtful about Backgrounds, the reason the felting occurred to Frithwynne is because of her background with sheep... (or it occurred to me because I have sheep on the mind, on Frithwynne's behalf...)

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Daniel uses ***Occult*** to work out:
a) whether we've just been unconscious for twenty years, or whether we've been aged twenty years over a shorter period of time;
b) if the second, whether the curse can be lifted by some method (whether or not the means to do so are immediately on hand).
He rolls 9, and 12, if those are two separate questions. Obviously b) is what he really wants to know.

I would treat that as one train of thought, you role would be at ***easy*** difficulty because you are good at this. Therefore your roll of 9 succeeds.

You realise that you have somehow been caught in the storms dark void this twenty years past. The Kavetseki went down two decades ago.

Time is not reversible.

Please make an appropriate outcome post on the story thread.

(Also note to other players, this is why the flotsam on the shoreline, bar driftwood, is not usable - it has been in the sea for twenty years.)

[ 03. June 2014, 17:13: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I know I ok-ed it, but can I please swap some other skill for Etiquette on Daniel's character sheet? The more I think about it, the more inappropriate for Daniel's character it is.
Daniel acquired Navigation, based on Readiness, on his last adventure. Would that do instead?

Well, I thought it was due to your knowledge and experience re religious status etc. I suggest you hang on in there with your current skillset, etiquette will come in useful, and there will be opportunities to learn another skill later in the game.

[ 03. June 2014, 17:16: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rolled a natural 20.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Er, please roll for your horse butchery, at ***OK*** difficulty. If you pass, you make an excellent job of it (and not too distressing to witness), if you fail you hack it to pieces making a disgusting mess in the process ending up with only just enough meat for the eleven of you to have a small meal. Ridiculous fail, you accidentally puncture the guts, fouling the carcass and making it unusable. Ridiculous success (natural twenty) and you will be able to make jerky overnight using the sea water for salting - and gain skill *preserve meat*.

[Crosspost: Yay ! Please do a story outcome post.]

[ 03. June 2014, 17:31: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Also note to other players, this is why the flotsam on the shoreline, bar driftwood, is not usable - it has been in the sea for twenty years.)

Thanks, DT. I take it this means Frithwynne's painstakingly cleaned blades are unusable.

Ariston/Jetse, can you announce this to a crestfallen Frithwynne, since she's already thought they could be good and presented them to you for evaluation?

Doublethink, I think I'll have Frithwynne examine the bales, and discover they're already too hard to be pulled apart for felting. Is that OK?

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Thanks, DT. I take it this means Frithwynne's painstakingly cleaned blades are unusable.

Ariston/Jetse, can you announce this to a crestfallen Frithwynne, since she's already thought they could be good and presented them to you for evaluation?

Unless, of course, someone else wants to wander along and point this out to Frithwynne. Or I'll think of some other way for this realization to come to Frithwynne. I don't want to be inappropriately saying what other characters should do (I'm still unsure of the proper boundaries here, but I'm trying to be careful while I learn).

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

Doublethink, I think I'll have Frithwynne examine the bales, and discover they're already too hard to be pulled apart for felting. Is that OK?

Thats fine yes.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*[Hopping onto the hosting rock, kipper in hand]

It seems to me that this thread is getting a little confusing as it's being used for two purposes. As I understand it, this metagame thread is for posting rolls, outcome posts etc. So could I suggest (with a wave of the hostly kipper) that those people who feel the need to discuss the running of the game or make some sort of commentary on the game play create another (I hesitate to say "yet another" [Biased] ) thread to do so.

This is especially important for the poor non-RPG hosts who have to read through every thread and work out what on earth you lot are on about.

So to clarify - this thread is for keeping track of progress in the game. Any discussion or commentary on the game itself needs its own thread.

Thank you kindly

*[Hops off hosting rock and waddles off into the distance]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Clawdine wants to ***find freshwater***

I rolled a 7

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You have a gift that allows you to do that without a roll, please write a story post.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM day in half an hour, if anyone wants to get their rolled action before the deadline.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM day

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Frythwynne please roll you intuition at ***OK*** difficulty.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Woot, Frithwynne rolls 11 on her ***OK*** ***Intuition*** task!

Will this count on the old GM day or the new GM day? For rolls close to the deadline, what is the determiner for which GM day it counts for -- when the request to use the Skill happens, when the roll happens, something else?

[ 03. June 2014, 23:05: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well apart from when I tell you to do an extra roll, you only get one non-combat roll per GM day. You did find hidden yesterday, so I was assuming that your roll was for this new GM day.

(Unless you want to change your mind and save it for something else ?)

[ 03. June 2014, 23:27: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Well apart from when I tell you to do an extra roll, you only get one non-combat roll per GM day. You did find hidden yesterday, so I was assuming that your roll was for this new GM day.

(Unless you want to change your mind and save it for something else ?)

You passed your roll - do you want me to do your outcome or would you like to change your mind ?

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Whoops, I got confused about days. Yesterday seemed like at least 2 days worth of fun [Smile] . I'm happy to still use my Intuition roll of 11, on this new GM day. In for a penny, in for a pound.

[ 04. June 2014, 00:25: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I'm happy to use my unneeded roll from before for this new GM day, too.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Whoops, I got confused about days. Yesterday seemed like at least 2 days worth of fun [Smile] . I'm happy to still use my Intuition roll of 11, on this new GM day. In for a penny, in for a pound.

• You notice the time change if you had not done so before, though I believe Daniel had spoken of this aloud.
  • You remember that the storm happened after the mercer's agent took the chest the elf had brought up from the seabed.
  • You realise if the vessel went down, you will all have been given up for dead years ago by those that know you.
  • You recognise that finding out about the mercer at this distance in time will be difficul, but not impossible
  • You notice the increased sensitivity of your hearing
  • You realise you should not sleep on this shore, you have a strong sense of deja vu - you think you have woken many times this way, with these people - but then lain down to sleep again

[ 04. June 2014, 07:22: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
I'm happy to use my unneeded roll from before for this new GM day, too.

I apologise if it is not clear here, but unless the GM asks you to use a skill and do an extra roll (like the invitation for party members to roll readiness) you only get one non-combat roll per GM day - you can't save them up.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

What does the 'binding' we are all under prevent us from discussing?

Gunriana wants to ask Clawdine (and thereafter, everyone else) whether she agrees that the storm was both enchanted and directed specifically against Kavetseki, and that therefore someone or something on board had provoked a powerful enemy, and to find out by talking to people want or who that might be. Can she do that?

I take from the OP that she didn't witness the handover of the chest, but it's completely unclear whether she knew that Dorainen had gone diving for something, or that someone left the ship on the cutter just after that, and before the storm. Again, if she did see any of those things, does the binding stop her mentioning them?

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think 'saying' anything about the wreck or the events leading up to it to another person is out. Not sure of the limits of other forms of communication, but, we should probably role play the testing of the limits and see what the GM does. Is something like ***draw ship in sand*** allowed?

The opening scenario btw only has "Jetse, the sheperd lass and Dorainen" and Mary Drake of the survivors on deck when they exchanged chest for money to the agent.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
The opening scenario btw only has "Jetse, the sheperd lass and Dorainen" and Mary Drake of the survivors on deck when they exchanged chest for money to the agent.

Yes, I get that, but it seems to me that it would be difficult (though not impossible) to anchor a sailing ship out of sight of land to conduct diving operations without passengers noticing, or indeed to launch the cutter and keep it secret from most of the people aboard. We have also just been ship-wrecked - it seems reasonable to assume that as the ship was going down, we weren't all playing our ukuleles, and someone looked to see where the ship's boat had got to.

But obviously I don't want to post anything implying knowledge that Gunriana doesn't have.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, I get that, but it seems to me that it would be difficult (though not impossible) to anchor a sailing ship out of sight of land to conduct diving operations without passengers noticing, or indeed to launch the cutter and keep it secret from most of the people aboard. We have also just been ship-wrecked - it seems reasonable to assume that as the ship was going down, we weren't all playing our ukuleles, and someone looked to see where the ship's boat had got to.

But obviously I don't want to post anything implying knowledge that Gunriana doesn't have.

The cutter was not the ship's boat but a separate fast boat (cutters are fast boats) that met the K. presumably at a pre-arranged point and time (so probably just off-shore at a particular deserted landmark [no other witnesses]) and exchanged money (or the rest of the money) for chest. The captain wouldn't have been able to hide the other passengers if the mercer's agent had been on board the whole time. The diving operation should have been noticed but the details of the transaction were probably always vague except to a couple of people among the survivors.

[ 04. June 2014, 15:27: Message edited by: Net Spinster ]

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016