homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
me too, also, similarly, as above.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And me, but it worked perfectly this morning.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it has to get up early tomorrow.
[Smile]
sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED

Emma can log in without a hitch, but I can't. Same computer (Mac 10.4 with current version of Java).

Is it fussy about passwords with numbers in them?

I've tried while both logged-in and logged-out of the Ship.

I tried changing my password to something without numbers, but no help. Pressing `connect' does nothing - no progress bar, no nothing.

Entering my username incorrectly, or entering any old gibberish throws up the error boxes.

[ 15. March 2008, 22:27: Message edited by: aj ]

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
Attempting to reconnect gets me:

quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : <init> at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 97
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

Logged on and chatted fine this morning and now I get this message when I try to log in.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we broke it again, aj and ebeth, so no-one can play until someone comes and sorts it out again

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah that would explain it...

I've just tried to log in on my nice shiny laptop and it won't let me in [Waterworks] I thought as I had managed to get in earlier it would let me in... but no ....

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did we all fall overboard at the same time then?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like we did luvanddaisies.
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

At least it was egalitarian then. I feel somehow better knowing I wasn't the only one who got unceremoniously chipped into the swirling deep.

--------------------

Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on about 3 times earlier today and just now I twice got the same lovely message the rest of you have been getting.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

- Posted      Profile for Potoroo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too [Frown]

--------------------
Gilbert's Potoroo is Australia's most endangered animal.

Posts: 2778 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
OK, I have to ask: Why is the cafe named after a chicken?

All my coding projects of late have been named after the breeds of my chickens. I'm currently building a CMS called Orpington.

I'm going to need some more hens soon or else I won't be able to take on any new projects.

Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice. [Cool]
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried at lunch time to get in, and again now that I'm home from w*rk. (Halleluia)

This is all I've gotten so far:

IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 97
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jillyb
Shipmate
# 4610

- Posted      Profile for Jillyb   Email Jillyb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
same as above [Frown]

--------------------
I don't do posh!

Posts: 1034 | From: Londinium | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As was stated earlier, the Cafe is down and broken for the moment. Since I suspect that melon and others who know how to fix it are all in time-zones such that they are asleep, it won't be up again for quite some hours.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too! *sniff*

And I've been waiting all patiently and everything!

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, we're open for business again.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very frustrated.

Emma can log in from either of my Macs, but I can't. Has my username and password been blacklisted or something? I changed my password yesterday to one without numbers, wondering if it would work, but no luck. Does the Cafe update its password records straightaway?

I got my Ship password emailed to me to make sure I had the right one.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re those of us permanently logged in who don't remember our passwords:

Go to My Profile, then click on View/Change Profile. In the Password box, clear out the old password and type a new one. BUT make sure you've typed it correctly and written it down--it doesn't ask you to confirm it. THEN try logging out and back in.

{Thought we should save Erin and/or the server some work.) [Biased]

BTW, I can't get into the cafe from this computer--it can't handle higher levels of Java. I do have another, and will try from there.

[ 16. March 2008, 10:27: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

My username is only three characters long and is the one I've always had AFAIK. Is this too short for the Cafe's log-in system?

Here's what happens:

1) Enter username, enter password (having just done a Ship log-out-log-in to confirm password works).

Check logging box.
Press connect.
Nothing happens whatsoever.

2) Enter username slightly differently - e.g. ship-registered-email username (which is eight characters). Enter password.

Check logging box
Press connect
Error log box appears, as per the description of others.

Same result whether I try on a Mac or PC. It's all working fine for Emma on either machine.

--------------------

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy, I think the café should 'just work' with Firefox on the EeePC - St Pixels LIVE certainly does. Last night I tried the café using Kubuntu installed on an EeePC and that worked too, once I had installed Sun Java (although you can't change rooms because the menu falls off the bottom of the screen).

AJ, I'll have a look at the username/password thing.

Everyone else, it looks like there are still some kinks to be got out of the server software, although it's holding up a lot better than last time we tried with real users. The problem is almost certainly on the level of what happens when someone disconnects, gets disconnected, has a power cut or whatever. There are quite a large number of possibilities, and the documentation about what happens in each case is vague (and, in some cases, wrong), so it's probably going to be a case of proceeding one crash at a time.

The good news is that Pease is going to set up the café so that it restarts itself in the case of sudden death, as well as recording its suicide note. Once he does that the café shouldn't be down for more than half an hour at a time, and we should also get the diagnostics we need to fix the problem.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, bless you Melon, Pease and all the others who are working on this!!
BTW: 've been using Firefox as my browser, and didn't have a problem until the error messages everyone was getting.

[ 16. March 2008, 11:57: Message edited by: DaisyM ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

Has it gone again, or is it just me not getting in?
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwaelod did the client-side programming (the bit you get to see) on the basis of Simon's artwork. Pease tidies up the mess we keep making of his server.

--------------------
French Whine

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

It had gone, but it's back now.

--------------------
French Whine

Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Kind of like the Holy Spirit--the wind that blows where it wills!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the work, Monsieur Le Melon and may pease be with you, and us. [Cool]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

AJ, it looks to me like short usernames and passwords should be ok. If you have any exotic characters in your password you might want to try removing them (although anything you can see written on a US/UK keyboard at least really ought to be ok).

You might like to make your password a little longer too while you are there, especially having given several large hints about it on this thread [Smile]

--------------------
French Whine

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems odd though that AJ gets an error when the password is incorrect, but nothing when it isn't. Doesn't sound like a username / password issue to me. Probably more to do with firewalls etc.
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

But Emma isn't getting that problem, on the same machines, presumably on the same Internet connection.

--------------------
French Whine

Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay now I get a different error message, something about "Unexpected disconnection (java.io.EOFEexcetion)"....etc.

Re: names, having a hyphen in my name isn't a problem is it?

I'm on a mac, which I just got a little over a week ago, my first mac, maybe I'm just clued out about something, but so far I haven't been able to get in, hmph.

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Hyphens would have been a problem - I've added hyphens and underscores to allowed characters in usernames - they should work after the next restart, ie the next time it crashes or when Pease restarts it in a while.

If anyone has other non-alphanumeric characters in their username, please drop me a PM.

--------------------
French Whine

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I put in my name (my registered name and screen name are the same), nothing happens.

If I put an 'e' on the end, I get a logging report (which obviously tells me that is doesn't know the name/password combination).

I've just tried random letters for the user name - the report doesn't fire until there are at least four letters (for me).

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody fantastic job.
Thanks for all your hard work on this.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went into the chatroom today. I like it a lot, and find it much better than the old one, because it shows the avatars, so it's not confusing to keep track of who is posting. I like that it is easy on the eyes and has options to make the font bigger. Thanks to everyone who made this chatroom. [Smile]
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All comments appreciated. Remember - official opening April 1st.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible it expects at least four characters in a username? Since Ann, aj, and I can't get past the big blue box?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

ok, not in cafe atm bucause am at w*rk and really would get nothing done if I was, but am taking a 5 minute concentration break.
Thought I'd share my thoughts, exciting as they aren't, on the refurbished cafe.

The Look strikes me as very good - fits well with the look of The Ship, and the room names are good.

i also like the real community feel that naming the chapel after Miss Molly and the bar after Gambit gives. If there is a space where that could be explained, perhaps with links to relevant limbo-ed threads, that might be really helpful for and interesting to newbies.
It's also clear to read and intuitive to navigate.

I really like having people's avatars display - it's like seeing their 'faces'.

Am using a Mac laptop, running Tiger, browsing with Safari, and had no problem getting in or anything up until something in the cafe called 'time' on a bunch of us last night [Big Grin] .

Clever, clever people who made it! [Overused]

--------------------

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

Okay, I think I've got to the bottom of the 'login with small usernames' issue. There's now a slightly updated version on the server - when you next run the cafe software it should automatically update.
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo-hoo! Thanks, Gwaelod!

And I love the Welcome message!

I think I've used up my quota of exclamation marks for this month.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lolly

Ship's Lollygagger
# 13347

- Posted      Profile for Lolly   Email Lolly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That changed the error that I'm getting. It now says "Unknown error: the user attribute is of the wrong type."

Could be the apostrophe in the user name.

--------------------
And draw us near and bind us tight
all your children here in their rags of light - LC

Posts: 179 | From: East of the Sun, West of the Moon | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! Cool. Nicely done, you guys. [Overused]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the room names.

[Smile]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just crashed on me. Before it did it was very slow. It's not my internet connection which is fine otherwise.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

quote:
Originally posted by Siren's Call:
Could be the apostrophe in the user name.

Very likely, mark will know what data the server is receiving here, and why it is reporting this error. I would wait until he is around again to check.
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

I've just restarted the café with a few changes to which user names are accepted (and a capital M for Mess for whoever wanted that).

--------------------
French Whine

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Late Paul, our experience with St Pixels LIVE suggests that ISPs sometimes do silly things with chat-type packets that don't affect web surfing or email. (We get the same symptoms with both the café and St Pixels LIVE, sometimes, for some users, despite the server software being written in different languages by different people.)

--------------------
French Whine

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(hoping this gets through)

Speed's fine again now, but now the boards are slow and I have now failed twice to post to this thread.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016