homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is the strangest thing you saw this week? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is the strangest thing you saw this week?
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be, if they were Irish (or "uilleann") pipes rather than Scottish ones. Bagpipes are not exclusively Scottish but are found in many places, especially those with a Celtic background. But they are not the same as each other.

So, for instance, I have seen and heard Scottish, Breton, Galician and Northumbrian pipes - and I'm sure there are more. (For instance there is a Transylvanian version).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering that. Not wondering enough to ask the players, of course. That would have crushed my several pleasant minutes of idle speculation.

(I was going to make a joke about wanting to get out of earshot as fast as possible--but the truth is that the guy playing the pipes was quite good. This wasn't some amateur.)

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got up one morning and looked in the mirror - very strange sight!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

That's just begging to be made into a blues lyric! (Do I sense a thread coming on?)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

That's just begging to be made into a blues lyric!
Let me get back to you [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an elderly man who regularly does his shopping in my local Sainsburys on Friday afternoons, who sings love songs (rather well) in a loud bass voice as he walks around the aisles.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a place where I walk regularly, there are three maple trees standing closely together. One of them has had new leaves since late January, all other trees around are still barren.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A man in a suit and tie, standing outside a government building and cradling very gently what looked like two baseball sized fluffy pink pom poms.

I still don't know whether they were animate or inanimate objects. And I'm still wondering about it!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did they look anything like this? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Could be, if they were Irish (or "uilleann") pipes rather than Scottish ones. Bagpipes are not exclusively Scottish but are found in many places, especially those with a Celtic background. But they are not the same as each other.

So, for instance, I have seen and heard Scottish, Breton, Galician and Northumbrian pipes - and I'm sure there are more. (For instance there is a Transylvanian version).

Was the person playing them standing up (Scottish) or sitting down (Irish)? And were they blowing into them (Scottish) or using bellows under the arm (Irish)?

The uilleann pipes, by the way, for an shipmates who is unfamiliar with them, are a fantastic instrument, much more versatile than the familiar Scottish pipes, but quite demanding to learn.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live close to the city centre. It is a warm Easter Saturday afternoon. A rooster is crowing. Loudly.

[Confused]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
A man in a suit and tie, standing outside a government building and cradling very gently what looked like two baseball sized fluffy pink pom poms.

I still don't know whether they were animate or inanimate objects. And I'm still wondering about it!

Tribbles?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar P.
Shipmate
# 10412

- Posted      Profile for Oscar P.   Email Oscar P.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An older man came out of the grocery store, pushing a cart with several bags. He stopped at a riding lawnmower parked outside, loaded the groceries, then drove away. The road he used is a busy four-lane street which is one of the heavier travelled routes in my town of 50,000. [Ultra confused]
Posts: 93 | From: Gateway to the West | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar P.:
An older man came out of the grocery store, pushing a cart with several bags. He stopped at a riding lawnmower parked outside, loaded the groceries, then drove away. The road he used is a busy four-lane street which is one of the heavier travelled routes in my town of 50,000. [Ultra confused]

I think this post also works for "That scares the @#$!% out of me...."

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I occasionally see someone in the locality walking her ferret in a little harness (on the ferret that is, not her).

Awwwh! When I was a girl I used to walk my rabbit in a little harness [Smile]
Ha! When I was a very little boy, my mother used to walk me in a little harness! I think that was the done thing at the time, luckily somewhat out of fashion now! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
There is nothing strange about owls! Everyone should have one.
[Razz]

I agree, and so, for a brief moment, appeared to do the Labour Party!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
There's an elderly man who regularly does his shopping in my local Sainsburys on Friday afternoons, who sings love songs (rather well) in a loud bass voice as he walks around the aisles.

I would totally follow him around the store.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of hours ago, it was absolutely pissing it down on one side of the house, and not a drop was falling on the other. Most bizarre. Mind you, we did also get a decent rainbow.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
A couple of hours ago, it was absolutely pissing it down on one side of the house, and not a drop was falling on the other. Most bizarre. Mind you, we did also get a decent rainbow.

AG

[tan] Not this week, I'm afraid, but some winters ago I was coming home from work on the bus one evening. It was cloudy but there wasn't a lot happening weatherwise.

As we got within a hundred yards or so of home, the road ahead exactly level with our house was totally obscured by what looked like impenetrable smoke. Cue much horror.

We drove into it and I heaved an almighty sigh of relief as it turned out to be a ferocious snowstorm with a boundary so sharp it could have been cut by a knife! [/tan]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman sitting in front of me in church had a tattoo on her back that read, "Cheerfully sweet."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went to the Queens Botanical Gardens with my daughter and son-in-law yesterday for my birthday. There was a man doing some sort of ritual practice exercise with a sword.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, I live in the a very urban setting in Northern England. So I was getting the tram after work on Thursday and it being Easter week there were fewer commuters than usual.

The tram, however, was full, with over a dozen black urban youths. There visually was something odd about them; the one definite detail I could pinpoint was the Calvin Klien hat (yes it had that written all over it, no I am not sure it was genuine). However, then an adult with them said something clearly in French.

Now the only thing I can think of that is likely to attract them out that way is the Sheffield Wednesday grounds. That makes it even weirder.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I saw sunshine yesterday. In England.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I saw sunshine yesterday. In England.

[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I always seem to miss the strange sights, but Daughter-Unit lives in the next town over and always sees stuff she really doesn't want to see. Naked (nekkid, as locals say) people dancing around is one of them. This week's version was probably number five over the past six or seven years.

Maybe your daughter-unit is seeing people whacked out on "flakka", a synthetic drug that is the scourge of Broward County, Florida and now moving into other parts of Florida. I just read about this dismal development this morning. I had never even heard of "flakka" until this morning. Google it and you, too, will learn of the strangeness of it all.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I was walking down the street when a pear tart dropped out of the sky onto the pavement right in front of me (the source turned out to be an overambitious seagull).

Well, my other half had a (dead) fish dropped on him by a seagull a few months ago, but I guess a pear tart is a bit upmarket from that! At least it missed you, unlike the fish, the debris from which took some getting out of his sweatshirt. As he quite rightly pointed out, a few inches to one side and it would have hit him on the head rather than the shoulder, so he didn't quite understand why I was laughing, and continued laughing throughout the half-hour we subsequently spent waiting for a train. And for that matter am still laughing when I think about it now.

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On my way home, I walk round the back of Westminster Cathedral, where last night I spotted the discarded remains of a very sorry-looking Christmas tree.

Is it some catholic tradition I've previously been unaware of that you keep the tree until the end of the tax year?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning at the station a young man in a smart suit and shiny shoes with a long ponytail, big glasses and headphones was leaping, playing air guitar and singing loudly to himself as he danced down the platform, weaving his energetic way through the crowd of commuters and back again.

Nobody seemed to notice. It wasn't my regular train so I don't know whether this is an everyday occurrence and they're all just used to it.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I came out into the store parking lot to see at a distance my usually very normal acting older neighbor jumping, hopping, and appearing to dance in a very strange way. It turns out that a bee had flown up her pants leg. She is fine. She shook the bee out and stepped on it. I told her at her age I was very impressed by her moves.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A winbdow cleaner washing my windows.

I hadn't asked him to - i suspect he went to the wrong house by mistake and someone else will get the bill.

I might have paid him except that he left smears and drove off before i had a chance.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I was driving today, I saw a lavender Ford Mustang (as opposed to a wild horse). It put a smile on my face!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
..., cars painted as cows and pigs ...

We have a leopard print smart car that drives around the local area. Also one with Dasterdly spray-painted on one side and Muttley on the other.
There is one in Henley covered in Astroturf!

Neil

It must be on the move, I spotted it's evil twin a couple of days ago.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Once I went to Disneyland and saw a Hummer tricked out to be a Tigger-mobile. Tiger striped paint-job, Tigger plushes in the rear window, faux tiger fur seating, the works. Parked in what seemed to be executive or VIP parking.

[ 15. April 2016, 22:29: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a cafe this morning. Nearby, a grandmother put a child in a carry cot on a ledge that was obviously far too narrow - the child and cot fell to the floor and there was a great fuss.

Some people are stupid.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the bus. Oldish chap wearing a grubby white fleece onsie under a knee-length rainbow striped cardigan. An amount of yellow knitting on his head which could roughly be construed as a hat. But cheerful: very, very cheerful.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
It must be on the move, I spotted it's evil twin a couple of days ago.

There used to be a little car in Oxford made out of wood, shaped vaguely like a truncated pyramid.

There was also someone who used to cycle on a very long, low bike, lying down. He looked as if he'd be quite tall standing up.

And I have seen a tandem built for a family of three (is that a triadem?) but it's that kind of place.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of odd cars, this passed me a few months ago.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if I saw that coming towards me, I'd assume that the Top Gear chaps were up to their old tricks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the grocery store today there was a display of what they called "dish pans" -- which looked like this.
[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a woman with very thick, black with grey around the edges...mutton chops. Just thick as can be, would make Elvis in the 70s look like child's play. She was working as a cashier in the groceries.

It wasn't the transgender thing that shocked me. It was the fact she didn't even shave. I say "she" as the hair was long in a nice bob and she had on lipstick. (What I'm used to is...like a church member going thru transition goes to electrolysis, wears dresses and looks very feminine. Not chops straight of of the 70s). I am not used to seeing this, so I was fascinated. I kept secretly trying to look at those glorious mutton chops, the way I would stare at a John Oats type mustache.

But wrong? I can't say it's wrong. And the only thing people cared about in my line was the talkative SLOW woman holding all of us up. The guy in front of me, turned and even grimaced in my direction as he was cussing up a storm mumbling in Spanglish.

But being Silicon Valley, nobody reacted. We just wanted to quickly buy our groceries and be out of there.

[eta: more flowery description.]

[ 20. April 2016, 03:46: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
talkative woman even apologized to the whole line. She was getting more stickers for her grocery game (you save them up and get a discount). Cashier was unmoved.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bumped into a man coming out of his house with two dachshund puppies dangling from his hands (he was holding them by their collars). they looked very sweet with their little legs dangling, but mighty odd as well.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other day, on my way to work as I walked past St James the Less I passed a guy who was walking slightly slower than me. As I did so, he spoke to me (I was slightly irritated as I was reading a book as I walked) to ask me if we were heading north.

As it was just before 9am and the morning sun was directly behind us, I thought it should have been obvious that we were walking in a north-westerly direction. I said "roughly" rather than give an impromptu lesson in navigation.

He then said to me "So if I keep going, will I end up in Leicester?" I indicated that he would need to veer right just a little bit but that given we were both heading towards Victoria that he might want to consider a train or a coach as a quicker means of getting to his destination than walking. He indicated that they weren't viable options.

I've never considered walking from London to Leicester, though it's only 100 miles, so I'm not considering doing that after I finish the North Downs Way.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd forgotten this!

The other day, I got out of the train with about 3 zillion other people and started walking towards the barrier. As there were a lot of us, we were walking close together and I was having trouble because the man in front of me appeared to have a very odd and uneven gait. I suddenly realised he was avoiding the cracks, just playing a little game to himself.

It made me smile.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was ...

Walking back from church last Sunday evening, I was passed by a car that stopped a few yards in front of me, the driver wound down his window and calmly tossed a takeaway box half full of chips out on to the road.

I was so shocked I just called something like "What?!" He gave me a dirty look like "Want to make something of it?", wound up the window and drove on without turning a hair.

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure this shouldn't be a Hell post...

This morning I arrived at church to discover that some of the guests for the baptism had arrived even earlier and had set up camp in the sanctuary, complete with blankets on the floor, baby-gym, etc, etc. Sidesman hadn't spotted (or was hoping it was a bad dream) so self and a member of the choir approached to point out that the area around the altar was going to be busy and they couldn't stay there.

This was greeted with incredulity and belligerence but eventually they moved to set up 'camp' at the back near the font.

At the end of the service we discovered they'd moved one of our rather fine pews - apparently without noticing that it was fixed into the floor [Confused] so now we have to repair the herringbone parquet floor and then re-fix the pew [Mad]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist, that would have been perfect for any TICTH thread. May the Lord look over that child. [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The season finale of "Lucifer" tonight. Oh my my my! [Eek!] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Talk about unrestful theology!

Track it down and watch it online, on Fox. And there definitely will be a second season! w00t!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't a real thing but an Internet thing, but its existence makes me happy and puzzled at where the concept originated.

Disney Princesses Re-imagined As Cement Mixers

It works, and someone has obviously spent time doing it, but what makes me unreasonably pleased to see it is the wondering of why they did so.

[ 26. April 2016, 22:20: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The wheelie bins are out tonight for collection tomorrow.

Looking out of my window, i saw a local, retired vicar and canon going down the street opening all the bins and looking inside.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016