homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Gambit/James Rawling of London (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit/James Rawling of London
i and i
Shipmate
# 2189

- Posted      Profile for i and i   Author's homepage   Email i and i   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
goodbye, mate- sorry i didn't call you back last night... church won't be the same without you...
lots of great memories... i expect you and my dad will be singing together again... our loss...
[Votive]

Posts: 244 | From: -usually london | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm stunned. Really don't jnow what to say other than I've lost a good friend.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
soggy_amphibian
Shipmate
# 2487

- Posted      Profile for soggy_amphibian   Author's homepage   Email soggy_amphibian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep typing stuff to put in this post, it ends up sounding lame. This is quite a shock!

I met Gambit at a few Shipmeets. He was quite a character, and I will miss him.

[Votive] for Gambit, and for those who knew him better than I.

--------------------
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.
Riley: Yeah, a lot of young people nowadays are experimenting with shortness.

Posts: 712 | From: Back at home | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shoehorn with Teeth

Laughing Vulcan
# 2420

- Posted      Profile for Shoehorn with Teeth   Email Shoehorn with Teeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got the chance to meet Gambit at my First Shipmeet Ever, just a few weeks ago. Made me feel special, all the people who made it out for that--including Ship veterans I'd heard about/read for ages.

Not sure what to say. Saddened. [also still shocked and disbelieving]

Posts: 483 | From: crowded house | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Our thoughts are with you, and all your family.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May God bless and comfort all who are touched by this loss.

[Votive]

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Frown] [Votive]

The last time I saw James was at the shipmeet about 3 weeks ago when we were the only 2 who turned up. We ended up staying until well after closing time putting the world to rights over a few pints.

I shall miss him greatly - especially his sense of humour and understated intelligence.

My thoghts are with his family [Votive]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] with prayers for James, and all who knew and loved him, and love him still. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm completely shocked, Gambit has been one of the mainstays of London meets for so long.

Prayers are with all who love him.

Maddie

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

- Posted      Profile for Never Conforming   Author's homepage   Email Never Conforming   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
I used to poison Student Minds™ and am proud to have done so
Never Conforming in the Surreal World

Posts: 1419 | From: Oop Norf | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never met him, but he was one of those people that really stood out and drew me in when I first found the Ship. He seemed like a genuinely lovely, funny bloke.

Adding my prayers.

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was very much looking forard to meeting him in London in January. I hope the Jan 21 meet will go ahead and we will lift a pint in his memory.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
wanderingstar
Shipmate
# 10444

- Posted      Profile for wanderingstar   Email wanderingstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoah.

I was talking about James just a couple of hours ago, without realising he was Gambit.

Never met him IRL, but these pages are testimony to how many others he touched.

Thank you, Sarah. My deepest sympathies go to you and all who loved James.

--------------------
You know what you shouldn't have done? You should never have let me press all those buttons...

Posts: 273 | From: Hollow lands and hilly lands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not know him, and yet am sad for you. A loss of any one of us is a loss for us all...
Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] James [Votive]
Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
EpiscoWhat
Shipmate
# 9660

- Posted      Profile for EpiscoWhat   Email EpiscoWhat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarah May God be your comfort and your strength. God be your hope and your support. God be your light and your way, and the blessing of God, Creator, Redeemer and Giver of life remain with you now and forever. Amen!

My prayers are with you and your family during this time!

[Votive]

--------------------
Now up and sailing: Fair Havens, the private board for LGBTQ Shipmates. Interested in joining? PM me for details.

Posts: 290 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm remembering Gambit's blog from the time he worked at Lambeth...
[Votive]

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] May light perpetual shine upon him.
My deepest sympathies to you Sarah, and to the rest of his family, and to his friends, especially those here on the Ship.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't really know him, but I'm so sorry to hear about this. Prayers ascending. [Votive]

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

May he rest in peace, and rise with Christ in glory.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope your family is coping as well as it can in the circumstances, Sarah.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gambit was the life and soul of any ship meet. Words fail me at the loss. Meets will never be the same again.
[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Weed
Shipmate
# 4402

- Posted      Profile for Weed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Weed

Posts: 519 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Former Shipmate 'Angel of the North' (aka Angelfish/Reepicheep) wanted me to pass on her love and prayers to those who are grieving.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so shocked and sorry to hear about Gambit leaving us too soon. I enjoyed several glass-in-hand conversations with him at different meets, and really appreciated his wonderfully dry wit. Thanks for posting to let us know the sad news, Sarah. Thinking of you and your family, and those who knew James well.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord and let light perpetual shine upon him.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry.

For James [Votive]
For Sarah and his family [Votive]
For eyeliner [Votive]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to hear about this.
I met a kid ( a long time ago) in the Black country called James Rawling I wonder if they are one the same I guess I'll never know.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I never get to Meets, I never met James, but only Gambit of the Ship. That was more than enough to appreciate what a witty, intelligent and really fine person he was.
We were blessed to know him.
[Votive]

Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Our sympathies are with Gambit/James' family.

We met him at the London meet back in August--I recall a very enthusiastic handshake and a warm, genuine welcome.

[Votive]

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never met him but I am truly saddened by his young passing. God receive his spirt. Also praying for eyeliner, Sarah and everyone else. God comfort them.
In Christ's Name I pray...AMEN. + [Votive]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gambit was the first shipmate I ever met in real life. He was such fun at shipmeets. I shall really miss him.

He also produced one of my favourite ship lines. Posting on a thread where an American visitor had said, "Disclaimer: I'm foreign and don't really know if this pub is any good", Gambit replied "Claimer: I'm English and know a good pub when I see one"! So true, and so like him. The last post I read of his was one scoping out a good pub for the meet of 21st January. I shall certainly try to go to it in his memory.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always thinking, "I'll have to get to a shipmeet of Gambit's when I'm overnight in London". I too remember his blog from the time at Lambeth, during the 'interregnum' between ++Carey and ++Rowan.

[Votive] Requiescat in pace

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was only 27, wasn't he? [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you to everyone who is offering love, support and prayers at this time. I think I speak for his family and close friends as well when I say that all the love and prayers are greatfully received and greatly appreciated.

Someone-probably Sarah but possibly myself or daisymay will keep you posted with details as to funerals, wakes et cetera.

I for one would be up for ensuring that there are monthly Shipmeets throughout 2006 as well, in memory and appreciation of him.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
He was only 27, wasn't he? [Tear] [Votive]

Afraid so. I never got to meet him IRL - although like others, I remember him well from the old cafe during his time working at Lambeth. He always seemed great fun - but caring with it. I'm recalling especially a time when I was concerned about a fellow shipmate and he passed his contact numbers onto me just in case there was anything he could do to help.

As with a few other 'younger' posters, I felt quite 'motherly' towards him (I'm sure he'd have been horrified if he'd known!.) All the more poignant when I realise that at the time he must have been only a few years older than my daughter is now.

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Words fail me.

Well actually, they don't. James how can you conceivably piss off like this?

I love you, you infuriating tosser.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
James how can you conceivably piss off like this?I love you, you infuriating tosser.

My sentiments entirely.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still hasnt quite sunk in...

He was here only a few weeks ago, and I cant believe hes not going to be at future meets. Ive still got a ton of pms from him , full of his usual wit.

My love to all who were close to him,

Id be interested to hear when/ where the funeral will be.

[Tear]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Heavenly Homecoming to Gambit.

Our prayers to your family on earth who will miss you very much. We were proud to have such a gentleman on the ship.

Love and saintly hugs,
Mother and JB

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Very sad to hear about this.
[Votive] So sorry for you Sarah and all Gambit's friends IRL and on the Ship

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fullness of joy to Gambit,

Comfort and peace to Sarah and all.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016