homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2009 Ship Of Fools Celebrity Death Pool game thing (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2009 Ship Of Fools Celebrity Death Pool game thing
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Eunice Kennedy Shriver,
JFK's baby sister, has died.

And founder of Special Olympics.
"She was a living prayer"

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm up to date with the scores. Sorry, EPR - life has been busyish...
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Les Paul at the age of 94.

6 more for EPR, and Petrified makes it onto the board.

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:

Thanks Basso. I'm getting worried - I've now sent four people to their deaths!
[Eek!]

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Good Lord! I had no idea he was still alive! He and Mary Ford contributed much to music. May he rest in peace. [Votive]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Me having points this early has got to be a record.
When I saw the news my first thought was "yay, points at last" - every time someone famous dies the kids ask if I had them. ITTWACW.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If I were being anal, I would note that though you updated me to 50 points in my personal score, you still have me with 38 in the group scores.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
Thanks Basso. I'm getting worried - I've now sent four people to their deaths!
[Eek!]

I wouldn't say that. You're more like the prophet preparing the way for them. [Cool]

[ 17. August 2009, 20:30: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally the Taliban have confirmed that Baitullah Mehsud is dead.

Working out his exact age is complicated (hard to get that kind of information on a shadowy fugitive militant...), but wiki says he was born in 1974, which would make him 34 or 35.

So I'd like to claim 65 points. What say our wise, sage and benevolent judges?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:

So I'd like to claim 65 points. What say our wise, sage and benevolent judges?

65 looks about right to me. I've added that score. I'm sure the real judges, who may qualify on one of those three counts, will be along shortly if we need a correction.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ted Kennedy has passed. [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was on my list, but for a change that was NOT the first thing I thought of when I heard the news.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear] [Tear]

May his memory always be a blessing. [Votive]

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was actually at a party with him (and about 500 other people) once.

When the Concert Hall at the Kennedy Center was re-done, there was a pre-opening gala for those involved in its refurbishment. After the concert, there was a party in one of the top-floor ballrooms. I had an invitation as one of those involved with the re-configuration of the Filene organ.

Both Sen. Kennedy and Newt Gingrich (then Speaker of the House) were at the party. They stood at opposite ends of the very long room--each near a bar. They each partook freely. It was very easy to approach Senator Kennedy and exchange a few words with him--and he was very gracious.

Newt was unapproachable, although as Speaker of the House that may have been because his security detail chose to make him that way.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
May his memory always be a blessing.

Amen.

I've updated scores. Please check them - there were quite a few changes this time.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to display some Olympic-standard stupidity here - how do we check scores? Is it just by going back to one's own posted list or are everybody's scores set out somewhere? I speak as someone who has played the game for a couple of years, but never knowingly scored any points - I must be as good an elixir of life as PeteC. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link to the score card was back on page 2 - my interest will become obvious when you check!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The link to the score card was back on page 2 - my interest will become obvious when you check!

Thanks for that.
I did find it after rather a trawl, and like you, found the search worthwhile!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

For the truly obsessive (see under: the look), not only is this year's scoreboard available, but so are last year's and the previous year's.

(No, I'm not getting paid per click...)

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone for Dominick Dunne?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ellie Greenwich is dead: co-writer of many of the all-time great pop songs running through our brains, from Da Doo Ron Ron to Leader Of The Pack.

RIP

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As usual not a single point to me!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, neither! Wiff Waff, I guess we are a blessing to those on our lists! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Ted Kennedy on my list, but believe me, I'm not happy about it. I keep cryin like a baby at all the tributes on TV. Hitting me harder than I thought it would. [Frown]

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Me, neither! Wiff Waff, I guess we are a blessing to those on our lists ...

... unlike Curiosity Killed, who seems to be a sort of kiss-of-death ...

BTW, thank you, CK, for the link to the score-board (not that I'm likely to appear on it).
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the first year I've scored anything, I'll have you know. The last couple of years I posted wish lists - President Mugabe et al; this year I posted a list of people who could do with the immortality granted by being on my death list - 'cept it didn't work.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon Dee

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keith Waterhouse

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF WE ARE NOW PLAYING FOR 2010? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

All in good time Jacobsen. Check the OP for this thread for details.

Death lists for 2010 will probably not start until the begining of December.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Campbellite, I did read the OP and it didn't answer my question.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The answer is "no".

We are on 2009 now. In December a new thread will be started for making 2010 list entries. Players' ability to make 2010 entries will be ended more or less at 11:59PM Dec. 31, 2009 UK/Ship time. (There has been in the past some wiggle room for people unsure of UK/Ship time. Like us in CA who are sort of airheads to begin with.) But the 2010 thread will stay open throughout 2010 for that game.

After the end of 2009, final points will be tallied and a winner declared for the 2009 game thingy on the 2009 thread. The 2009 thread will be then closed sometime in January. All 2010 activity will be on the 2010 thread.

Makes sense?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Thank you, Lyda Rose. All has been revealed..

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

After the end of 2009, final points will be tallied and a winner declared for the 2009 game thingy on the 2009 thread.

There should be a winner or six for the "kiss of life" prize! [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Patrick Swayze has died at age 57 from pancreatic cancer.

This may not be AS, but I'm adding one anyway: [Votive]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Poor man. He was quite a fighter of that horrid disease. He did some very good work in this past year.

[ 15. September 2009, 01:10: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's odd ... just this evening I used the phrase "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" and was shocked my husband didn't know what movie it came from ... which immediately led me to wonder if Patrick Swayze was dead yet. Then I heard the news. While glad for the points he has earned me, I'm sorry he's gone. [Votive]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Poor Patrick. [Votive]

I finally got some points. [Tear]

--------------------

philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keith Floyd, celeb chef and on-screen tippler, is at the pearly gates, glass of wine in hand.

Anyone spot that coming?

Anyone ever eat in his restaurant? I think it was in Devon and went bust eventually.

[ 15. September 2009, 08:21: Message edited by: philip99a ]

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"wine-fuelled flamboyance"

I love that - sometimes he was so flamboyant he could barely stand.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

My first thought when I heard about Patrick was "I think he's on my list..." [Hot and Hormonal] Then I was properly ashamed of myself. Then I thought "Hmmm.....43 points..."

This is the first year a place on my list hasn't been the kiss of life. I'll have to be more careful next year...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've just picked up my first 43 points (and lost my elixir-of-life status), and I rather wish I hadn't. [Votive]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It's not a good feeling, is it, piglet?

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

It's an odd feeling, playing this game.

Kelly and I saw '9' last weekend. As the credits ran, she said "I thought I recognized Christoper Plummer's voice. I wasn't sure he was still alive."

I said that I was pretty sure that he was, because if he'd died in the last few years, I'd probably have remembered it. She gave me a close relative of the look, and said, "Well, yes. You would, wouldn't you?"

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the two news stories today - and thought what a loss x2. Then I wonder who on the Death Pool got 78 points today.
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. My second response to hearing the news about Mr Swayze was "I bet that he was on several lists."

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
basso - we all have our roles to play on the ship. you are the angel of death.

it's okay. embrace it. we love you for it.

poor patrick, but the point boost is nice. I loved DD, but felt his more memorable roles were in Outsiders and Red Dawn.

I'll never forget lusting after the way that boy could DANCE.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He and Wesley Snipes were good in drag in To Wong Foo thanks for everything, Julie Newmar although the film wasn't a patch on Priscilla.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comic actor Henry Gibson (most famous for "Laugh-In" back in the late sixties) died today.

I don't know if he was on any lists, but I wanted to commemorate his passing.

He was 73, which made me think "man, he was young when he did that series". (I was a lot younger when I watched it [Biased] .

SOCK IT TO ME!

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016