homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2009 Ship Of Fools Celebrity Death Pool game thing (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2009 Ship Of Fools Celebrity Death Pool game thing
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mary Travers - a member of the 1960s US folk group Peter, Paul and Mary - died today at age 72. The band's publicist said she had battled leukaemia for years.

[ 17. September 2009, 05:43: Message edited by: ephemera ]

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm completely gutted. I've wanted to grow up to sing like her all of my life. saw them once live and was transported.

[Frown]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad news indeed; I'd heard she was in remission.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Comic actor Henry Gibson (most famous for "Laugh-In" back in the late sixties) died today.

I don't know if he was on any lists, but I wanted to commemorate his passing.

He was 73, which made me think "man, he was young when he did that series". (I was a lot younger when I watched it [Biased] .

SOCK IT TO ME!

Charlotte

It's rare that I recall a pome, but this is one I know,

" Worms, by Henry Gibson...
I cannot come to terms
With worms".

(I thank you).

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
I said that I was pretty sure that he was, because if he'd died in the last few years, I'd probably have remembered it. She gave me a close relative of the look, and said, "Well, yes. You would, wouldn't you?"

[Confused] I thought I laughed when I said it.I was chiding myself for not asking you first.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
I said that I was pretty sure that he was, because if he'd died in the last few years, I'd probably have remembered it. She gave me a close relative of the look, and said, "Well, yes. You would, wouldn't you?"

[Confused] I thought I laughed when I said it.I was chiding myself for not asking you first.
Oh, I got the humor. Sorry for not being clearer. I was mostly laughing at myself.

s/AngelOfDeath

(Nobody had Mary Travers?? How quickly we forget!)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
saw them once live and was transported.

Ditto.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
basso - we all have our roles to play on the ship. you are the angel of death.

I've decided on a slightly different title. The inspiration is still partly yours.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basso's much more handsome than his Ship's title would have you believe. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem, to topic people. You had me thinking basso had snuffed it for a moment there. [Ultra confused]

Chorister, host.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Yes, Ma'am.

Irving Kristol, modern conservative thinker is dead at 89. Nobody had him.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, Ma'am.

Irving Kristol, modern conservative thinker is dead at 89. Nobody had him.

Modern conservative thinker? How many oxymorons in that short phrase?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt anyone had him on their lists, but Arthur Ferrante of Ferrante & Teicher has died. That wonderful piano duo is no more. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was all ready to put Susan Atkins of Manson Family ill-fame on my 2010 list ... but she has died in prison.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I was all ready to put Susan Atkins of Manson Family ill-fame on my 2010 list ... but she has died in prison.

At 61. That's 39 points to Nunzia.
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alicia de Larrocha has died at 86.

I heard her play in person 30+ years ago and have never forgotten it. You begin to feel your age when all the musicians who informed your musical tastes in college begin to pass.

[Votive]

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks] My time is coming! They can't all live longer than me!

[Axe murder] => 13 kisses of life...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
William Safire has passed.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved his language column in the Times. He once ranted about the verb "read" used as a noun, e.g. "That book is a good read." I wrote him with examples of dozens of other verbs that are used as nouns, including one referring to the conjugal act. He quoted my letter in his next column, stopping short of quoting the last example.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed his "On Language" column, although I had trouble taking a former Nixonite seriously politically.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucy--the girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would rather put this one up myself rather than anyone else do it and it upsets me!

My friend Kevin McGee (Matt Lucas's ex-partner) was found hanged yesterday.

Plenty of points for someone, but I never thought of putting my friends on my list!!

Auntie Doris x

Ps) This might seem in bad taste, but Kev would have thought it hilarious!

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

So very sorry, Auntie Doris.

May light perpetual shine upon him and heal his soul. [Votive]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(( Auntie Doris ))

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I didn't expect Stephen Gately to make it onto this list. A cool 67 points for anyone who has him. Sad though.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
October 12 Ian Wallace aged 90 - he's famous for My Music and Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud
October 13 Al Martino at 82.

Not sure anyone had either, but they are both echoes of a past.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I didn't realise Mr Wallace had lived that long! I remember 'My Music' - not sure I ever knew any of the answers, but I used to love the songs at the end. Ian Wallace was usually the only one who could actually sing.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there's 11 points for anyone who had Ludovic Kennedy

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soupy Sales, age 83. One of the last of the old time TV comedians, he made the "pie in the face" routine famous. May he RIP.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NO, NO. NO not SOUPY !!!!!

Soupy was my hero. I'd visit the relatives in Detroit and saw him on the local TV. He was mesmerizing. He, unfortunately lost his show because one day he told the kids to "go into Mommy's purse and find a paper with numbers on it (dollar bills, this was before credit cards were popular) and send it to him". Evidently, some kids did! [Killing me]

He just had a way of looking in the camera and it seemed like he was talking right to you

I loved that man. [Votive]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSponge2U:
Soupy Sales, age 83. One of the last of the old time TV comedians, he made the "pie in the face" routine famous. May he RIP.

I think it was pretty famous well over 83 years ago! Used in Charlie Chaplin & Mack Sennett silent movies. And presumably on stage before then.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

It's a black day for organists.
Paul Manz has died. [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Paul Manz has died. [Tear] [Votive]

I still remember a wonderful hymn festival in Dallas over twenty years ago. He had panache, and communicated an infectious enthusiasm to the congregation.

He wasn't really an outstanding concert organist, but there were few who understood service playing as well as he. His compositions were satisfying and useful in a manner which is matched all too rarely.

[Votive]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Norman Painting, AKA Phil Archer, has bought his last harvest home.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I opened up Oxford Today (one day I'll find out why they've suddenly started sending me it...) to discover that Margaret Gelling had died as far back as April. [Tear] Shropshire beat her in the end...

I'm not sure that Guardian Education is even big enough to score me anything. [Frown]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Claude Levi Strauss, RIP.

Nul Points

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
And I opened up Oxford Today (one day I'll find out why they've suddenly started sending me it...) to discover that Margaret Gelling had died as far back as April. [Tear] Shropshire beat her in the end...

I'm not sure that Guardian Education is even big enough to score me anything. [Frown]

AG

The Telegraph qualifies easily.

16 points.

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Claude Levi Strauss, RIP.

Nul Points

Gwai had him, but as ken points out a death at the age of 100 only gets you style points here.

quote:

Kelly comments:

Why is it that I feel sorrier for Gwai than for Claude Levi-Strauss?

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, lol!
I'll take the style points over real points any day. It's not like I have enough points of any kind to compete for the dubious honor of this death pool anyway! [Smile]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
The Telegraph qualifies easily. 16 points.

Though it does bugger up my ploy to keep people I'm fond of alive (she was good fun to br taught by, too!). I notice that I posted consecutive links to people who were a bit nifty with their Old English. I wonder what that says about my interest?

AG

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Patriarch Pavle of Serbia, at 95.

5 points to Light User.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got the actor Edward Woodward (of 'The Equalizer' TV series fame)?

(Wiki page here)

RIP.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Actor, and real-life war veteran, Richard Todd, has died at 90.

AG

--------------------

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who starts the 2010 thread?

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
Who starts the 2010 thread?

One of the hosts, usually. Look for it in a week or so.
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This totally sucks, my wish list was way off

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, basso. I couldn't remember when the new thread starts, and suddenly realized it was December already, and I hadn't made a list.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fletch - I've played this for three years and this is the first year I ever got anyone.

chin up. we all eventually die.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only reason I put the choices I did this year was that my previous lists had scored nothing and it seemed to be a way of granting life. Apparently naming people who aren't doing well doesn't grant them life.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...chin up. we all eventually die.

My concern is that I'll die before any of the folks on my list!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016