homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: The adventures of Sven the Moose (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: The adventures of Sven the Moose
rachel
Shipmate
# 249

- Posted      Profile for rachel   Author's homepage   Email rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*****The continuing adventures of Sven*****

Day One

Sven makes a snowmoose

Sven contemplates eating a Nut Goodie but decides to keep it as a souveneir and protect his "moosish" figure. (He & Brigit also feel a bit guilty at being tempted by said candy, since said candy's manufacturer did not even call Rachel for a first interview when she applied at their plant a number of years ago.)

Aidan and Brigit intoduce Sven to the joys of catnip. Sven gets a little crazy.

Sven is very mellow for the rest of the evening.

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: the Angel of the North ]

--------------------
[We live our lives before] the wild, dangerous, unfettered and free character of the living God. --- Walter Bruggeman

Posts: 77 | From: the enchanted treehouse | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rachel
Shipmate
# 249

- Posted      Profile for rachel   Author's homepage   Email rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Day Two

The next day Sven decided to sleep in and have a quiet morning. (At least, I believe that's what he said when my alarm woke him from the 'nip induced hangover. I was guessing at what some of those moose curse-words meant.)

Sven shows Brigit all of his loot.

Brigit helps Sven write a postcard to the shipmates.

They then check his e-mail and see if people are saying nice things about him online.

We go out to run some errands and Sven is horrified to see a parking ticket on my car. He offers to pay it (what a nice guest!) but I don't think the DMV will accept his check.

Groovie man! We love the carwash.

--------------------
[We live our lives before] the wild, dangerous, unfettered and free character of the living God. --- Walter Bruggeman

rachel
Shipmate
# 249

Day Three

Astute viewers will notice that Sven is always accompanied by one cat. This is because Aidan the Wonder Cat decided to show off her hitherto unknown super powers of magically making every photo that she's in turn completely black.

Out and about......
Sven hangs out in front of Governor Jesse Ventura's mansion, hopin' for a little wrestling action. Unfortunately, Jesse's not home.

Then we visit F. Scott Fitzgerald's house. Sven is disappointed to find that he's not home either. (I don't have the heart to break it to the little guy.)

Sven then checks out the cathedral, where we take a lovely tour and admire the renovations.
Fortunately, God is home.

After all of this excitement, Sven is looking forward to a few days' rest in his box as he flies to his next destination.

--------------------

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I have a confession to make.

The next person on the list is Sara Strand, in Connecticut.

But when my computer went down last week, I lost her address.

Sara, if you're reading this... could you send me your address again?

Please?

Pretty Please?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. I've PM'd Sara's address to Rachel.

Brilliant pictures, all of them...

--------------------
Narcissism.

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a FAB snow moose! Though the s.m. looks a little naked compared to sven.

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rachel
Shipmate
# 249

Sven will be leaving in the Friday mail.

I suspect my downstairs neighbors will be glad to stop hearing rowdy moose hooves galloping above their heads. (Personally, I think it just pays them back for making me listen to their awful music at all hours.)

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great Sven photos, Rachel.
I can almost see the smile on his face enjoying every minute.

And the cats seemed to like their new friend, too.

Love and Hugs, Mb

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Sven is now with Sara Strand in Woodstock, CT.

Unfortunately, she's having some kind of problem posting, so any correspondence will go through me. Watch this space, as they say.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

Next up is Nicole.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

OK. Sven should be in the post now.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well thats good timing... i have the week after next off from work, and my daughter has it off from school, so we should be able to take the moose around to see some nice stuff!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WOOO HOOO! the moose has arrived!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

well sven had a rahter quiet first full day in new york, i took him to church today, but thats about all we did. i think he's resting after his trip.

he was appropriatly appreciated in church, and participated in choir rehersal, where his deep bass, lowing, was greatly enjoyed.

i hope to have some pictures posted tomorrow.

--------------------

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"lowing", yeah, that's it. Must have been one of your regulars, Nicolemrw, because this is how moose really sound.

Ignore all the stuff about this guy's dog and scroll to the bottom of the page to hear how Sven really sounds.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Is the small furry one all right, Nicole?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

yeah, sorry, i was rather busy the first two days of this week staying home with my daughter who had a miserable cold, plus my digital camera is... um... well its working but somewhat iffy.

however, i have got some pictures, though of dubious quality.

go here and then click where it says "friends", then click on "svens visit" (the two thimbnails next to "svens visit are pics from the manhatten shipmeet in december, if anyones interested)

under sven's visit, there should be, at this point, four pictures.

the first one, sven at the library.

the second, sven arrives in college point.

the third, sven goes to church on sunday. thats him sitting on the railing.

the fourth, sven at choir practice, with the choir director and several choir member visible. sven's on the piano. honest. i know he's hard to spot.

tuesday night sven went to an alanon meeting. there, obviously, no pictures of that, but sven reports that it gave him much to think about.

--------------------

Wood
# 7

Excellent.

Thank you, Nicole. You can keep him a few more days if you like; meanwhile, I'll sort out Mr. The Moose's international mailing post for you...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

yes, i'm hoping to keep him through next week as thats when i'll have time to actually DO something with him (plans are being made!). besides, thats also when i'll be able to get to the post office.

--------------------

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sven is safe in New York, so now this can be divulged without Wood killing me.
We can relive one of Sven`s experiences:
Sven Astromoose

Following evaluation by NASA (Notional Astro-Sven Association), Sven was cleared for sub-orbital flight only. Fortunately, that was all that was available.

The local club has an arrangement with the Bureau of Land Management to fly rockets from a recreational area offering several thousand acres of high desert. Longest personal recovery walk is about 1.5 miles. It is a bit of an expedition, but Sven joined in and took his seat for the drive to the launch site.
Sven on the way to the launch site

On site, Sven posed with his suborbital vehicle. In the interest of Sven recovery, we decided for him to remain with the rocket the entire flight. Besides, I had left at home the little blue parachute intended for his ejection at apogee for seperate descent.
Sven with launch vehicle

Launch. Motor is Aerotech G64 reload, providing a takeoff peak of 18 lbs thrust, averaging about 14 lbs over about 1.8 seconds. Total impulse 27 lb-sec.
Sven liftoff

The election delay was a nominal 7 seconds, ocurring just after apogee.
Sven flight: parachute ejection near apopgee (telephoto from launch site)

Winds were light; layers moved the descent in three different directions and once offered to make the launch site the landing site. Final descent was easily tracked and close enough to allow telephoto photography. Final recovery distance was only about 1500 feet.
Sven descending, (telephoto from launch site)

Sven greeted the recovery team, He seemed to have had an enjoyable experience.
Sven safely down.
Sven greets recovery team.

No post-flight physical was required.

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

my goodness! no wonder poor sven seems to be enjoying a chance to relax and be calm here!

nothing near so exciting to report here. due to unseasonably warm weather today, sven spen a nice day in the local park.

go to the same site as above, here

and do the same thing, (click on friends, then svens visit)

picture five is sven investigating where we were. its a nice park, on the east river, with a lovely view of the manhatten skyline, (picture six, though not as nice as reality) and, in the other direction, the whitestone pridge (picture seven)

sven played in the playground for a bit (picture eight), and then finally had some refreshments (picture nine).

then alas, the batteries in my camera wore out, so before we have any more pictures, i'll have to replace them.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JB,
I'd say that after the "Miss Monica" incident, Mr. le Moose was up for more adventures in the desert.
Great photos.

Mb

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
then alas, the batteries in my camera wore out, so before we have any more pictures, i'll have to replace them.

I don`t know which is worse, buying film or buying batteries.

--------------------

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

jb, its a digital, so no film, thankfully. but this is the third i think time i've had to replace the batteries since i got it... and it was just this christmas! i think theres a battery vampire attacking my camera...

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

ok, another sven update!

on tuesday sven joined my daughter and i on a trip to flushing meadows - corona park. for those who don't know, this was the site of both the 1939 and 1964 worlds fairs.

so as always, go to the link here, click on the link for friends, then the one for sven's visit.

picture 10 is with the map of the park. picture 11 is sven investigating the mosaic that marks the site of the two time capsules which were buried at the fairs. picture 12 shows sven reading the plaque which describes one of the most famous of worlds fair landmarks, and queens sites... the unisphere, picture 13. after we saw the unisphere, we went ice skating at the old worlds fair rink. alas, there were no moose-sized skates to rent (pictures 14 and 15) so sven had to watch from the side-boards. afterwards we walked around the park some more, and found a site that should be of intrest particularly to roman catholic shipmates (picture 16). lastly, a stop in the dinosaur playground, and a meeting with a new friend. (picture 17) (picture 17 is on the next page)

a good time was had by all!

--------------------

Wood
# 7

Thanks, Nicole.

The final address should be on its way now (and, now I'm back from my holiday, I'll post up the last set of pics from Sara Strand).

--------------------
Narcissism.

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
i think theres a battery vampire attacking my camera...

Digital cameras can be very hungry. The expensive batteries (the lithium ones) actually seem to cost less per picture.

--------------------

Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Wood,

About a year ago or so I was about 7th in the list to have "his mooseness" in Manchester... now I know he's had an atlantic detour, but any chance of him coming to Manchester this Summer? I have plans for the poor little thing! ::evil grin::

Love, pixies, and mooses!

....Lev

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

You never know.

You know, this is possibly the oldest thread still currently running...

--------------------
Narcissism.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it is basically a continuation of a thread that was on the old boards.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

sven is no en route to his next destination. the post office tells me he should arrive in 2-3 days.

there will be more pictures soon, too.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

ooops, that should have been "now" en route, not "no" on route!

however, what i really wanted to say was there is now one more picture at my sven album. once again, click on "friends" the "svens trip", and the second picture on the second page is sven enjoying my daughters basketball practice last week.

tomorrow i will probably have the last ones ready.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

ok, now it can be revealed... the reason why i had sven for so long was.... he refused to leave until he'd seen the statue of liberty. do you know how hard it is to stuff a moose into a shipping box if he doesn't want to go? so on sunday after church, we went to the statue of liberty.

once again, pictures are at this site, click friends then svens visit. the new ones are all on the second page, they start with the third picture.

we took the long island railroad from bayside where my church is rather than the bus for the sake of speed. you can see two pictures of sven looking out the train window. the second one shows a bit of flushing. the train took us to penn station, and we took the subway form there. sadly the pic of sven on the subway didn't come out for some reason. from battery park you take a ferry to liberty island.

a few words here about our current situation and the statue of liberty. liberty island is off the downtown end of manhatten. up until 9/11 the twin towers loomed over battery park, and were the major part of the skyline there. now there is far to much open sky, and more tourists taking pictures of what isn't there then of what still is. since 9/11 the statue has been closed to visitors. liberty island itself was reopened only recently, and boarding the ferry has the same security as an airplane now... bags must be x-rayed, people must go through metal detectors. a handful of change in my daughter's pocket set off the metal detector and she was wanded. it was a very strange sensation to go through all this.

but eventually we got on the ferry (picture 5 on the page), and got underway. the statue of liberty is a very potent symbol of both my country and my city to me, and i'm not ashamed to admit there were tears on my face as we approached the island. we walked around the statue (picture 6) and sven was very impressed (picture 7). we took time to read the historical material, and sven was particularly impressed byt the one relating to the symbols of liberty, especially the emma lazerus poem, the new colossus, (the one with "give me your poor...." etc). (pictures 8 and 9)

at that point once again the vampires struck the batteries in my camera, so alas i do not have pictures of the rest of the day. after the statue of liberty we returned to battery park and walked around for awhile, looking at the momuments there. sven was impressed by a man feeding the pigeons and squirrels, and was unhappy that we couldn't find the norwegian maritime monument, whatever that is... it was on the map, but not in the park.

after battery park, we found the financial district bull statue, and sven was impressed (its a several times larger than life statue of a charging bull... as in "a bull market")

our last stop of the day was grand central station, and the site thats being called "new york's wailing wall", the 9/11 memorial site established by the mta (mass transit authority).

and that was it for svens trip, except that on monday he went to school with my daughter and had a few words to the class at show and tell time. the teacher was quite impressed!

sven was packed up in the same box he arrived in, which is starting to be a bit small now, along with all his souvenirs, including his new york ones, and departed around 4:00 pm tuesday.

i already miss the little dear....

--------------------

Wood
# 7

Thanks Nicole. They're all excellent. They are.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

While we're waiting for Sven to make his way back over the Atlantic ocean, here's - finally - some pictures of Sven's time with Sara Strand in Woodstock, CT.

Sven's day at the cleaners #1

Sven's day at the cleaners #2

Sven gets excited about the superbowl

Sven gets a bit lost on superbowl day

Sven hangs out with some relatives

On top of the world

getting ready to move on

Sven plays the blues

Sven on a boat

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

Sven the moose is now on his way across the Atlantic, back to Wales, after over a year abroad.

When he arrives, he'll spend a few days at ours, and then continue his journey, this time around Britain.

Would those people who still want a visit from Sven the Moose in the UK post here?

--------------------
Narcissism.

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please!

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Wood, are you going to send him with what I can only describe as the most impressive collection of crap that I have ever seen?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood-
Could you post an inventory (or maybe photos) of what Sven brought back with him?

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I'm not in the UK, but I had requested a moose toss at the Bruges shipmeet (which I never got to) or maybe the tulip season. The tulip season might still be possible, only I'm not sure if that would be spring '03 or '04 now. I don't suppose he'll be anywhere near North Wales in the next month and a half? I might at least be able to meet him then, even if he doesn't come and visit.

Cuttle.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No world trip would be complete without a trip to Denbigh.

I am sad however that Sven didn't manage to go back to visit tomb and get taken to visit the pope.

Is Sven going Ozzie at any point?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm not sure that Herts. is the centre of the universe or anything, but Sven is very welcome here if he still wishes to visit. If he times it right, he may get a boat trip out of it..

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still up for a visit from the little one - even if I'm no longer in Aber - nor even Dudley - but in Cambridge!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to bow out I'm afraid.

I'll probably be of No Fixed Abode at some point over next few weeks/months. And of No Bloody Job. Plus, I don't have a scanner.

Sorry Sven. You'll have to seek your thrills elsewhere.

Bongo

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
So Wood, are you going to send him with what I can only describe as the most impressive collection of crap that I have ever seen?

I still haven't seen it... but I suspect that to save on the postage, I'll be justs sending on the Antlered One...

--------------------
Narcissism.

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
he's still very welcome in sheffield!

clare

(new address, pm me when you need it)

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Sven wants to come to Nottingham, I'd love to show him around, and introduce him to the Robin Hood statue, etc etc.

Kirsti

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still haven't got our cat - so Sven welcome to come to us!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

OK.

This, if I am not mistaken, is possibly the chronologically longest thread to have hit the board so far.

But all things must come to an end. Now that Sven's back, shall we start a new one (and, of course, archive this one, hosts, please, pretty please )?

I think so...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you will have to cross me off the list too. Life is on a day to day basis at present. I can't make any plans for the future.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016