homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Back off Sydney (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Back off Sydney
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
This assumes that whenever a word occurs in the Bible it means the same as it does everywhere else in the Bible

OK - so I oversimplified my example coz I was in a hurry

Sorry

Custard

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
The fact that we claim that scripture as a whole has a meaning, which can be reached.

Utter bollocks. So do the liberals. So does virtually evey strand of Christianity.

Oooh - a (non post-) modernist liberal. I genuinely thought you lot were almost extinct.

How about this for a distinctive feature of evangelicalism then?

A belief in "The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture (as originally given), and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct"

quote:
spend some time finding out what those of different traditions actually believe
Silly me. I thought that was what I was doing here!

Custard

--------------------
blog

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
The fact that we claim that scripture as a whole has a meaning, which can be reached.

Utter bollocks. So do the liberals. So does virtually evey strand of Christianity.

Oooh - a (non post-) modernist liberal. I genuinely thought you lot were almost extinct.
And that says just how much you know. Have you been paying any attention at all on the boards (in particular to how well (or otherwise) -Spong is reguarded down here)? Or do you just make a caricature, attack it, and in the process become a poster child for almost all the liberal criticisms conservative evangelicals?

quote:

A belief in "The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture (as originally given), and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct"

I believe that the infalliability of scripture is a discussion in dead horses (is the earth flat and only 4000 years old?)

quote:
quote:
spend some time finding out what those of different traditions actually believe
Silly me. I thought that was what I was doing here!
There are times I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oooh - a (non post-) modernist liberal.
Where? <looks over shoulder>

quote:
I genuinely thought you lot were almost extinct.

Let's see - wild assumptions, walks around with eyes closed....

It's time to play Ignorant And Prejudiced Categorisation Time!!! And who'll be first to make a wild stab at which Christian Tradition this Shipmate comes from?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
And that says just how much you know. Have you been paying any attention at all on the boards (in particular to how well (or otherwise) -Spong is reguarded down here)?

I have noticed, and have been pleasantly surprised in doing so. I certainly know that Spong is an ultra-liberal, but hadn't had the opportunity to check deeper into the grounds of his liberalism (especially whether he is a modern or postmodern liberal).

quote:
I believe that the infalliability of scripture is a discussion in dead horses (is the earth flat and only 4000 years old?)
As you say, that's a dead horse, so there's not much point flogging it here.

OK, so what do you believe then and how is it different to what I believe?

Custard

--------------------
blog

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
As you say, that's a dead horse, so there's not much point flogging it here.

OK, so what do you believe then and how is it different to what I believe?

Custard

I suspect the real difference is that you're looking for the right answer, I'm looking for the right question.

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's still a matter of definition and interpretation. I can agree to the above as long as inspiration doesn't mean "plenary verbal", as long as infallibility means "it will not fail to achieve its purpose" and as long as "supreme authority" is understood in a way which is not inimicable to the proper use of reason and tradition in understanding and interpreting the said Scriptures.

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
I suspect the real difference is that you're looking for the right answer, I'm looking for the right question.

What do you mean by that? Well, the bit about you anyway - I understand what you mean about me.

quote:
Originally posted by linzc:
It's still a matter of definition and interpretation. I can agree to the above as long as inspiration doesn't mean "plenary verbal", as long as infallibility means "it will not fail to achieve its purpose" and as long as "supreme authority" is understood in a way which is not inimicable to the proper use of reason and tradition in understanding and interpreting the said Scriptures.

yeah, but that's one of the problems with words - we need to be very careful that we all mean the same things by them.

Anselm (the shipmate, not the dead chap) made a helpful post here which said this:

quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
IIRC the conclusion they came to, after mapping out various areas of disagreement, was that the key area of difference was the approach to Scripture.
Evangelical theology sees the Bible as the complete, full and authoritative revelation of God.
Liberal theology tends to view the Bible as containing the word of God, or being an historical (but not necessarily unique) record of others' encounter with the divine.

I guess it's the difference of seeing the Bible as an imperative text or simply an indicative text.

Is that useful? I'd certainly agree with the conservative side.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Custard, you would be strongly advised not to assume anyone around here is a liberal (modernist or otherwise) simply because they are not a fuckwit like you.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But according to "Theology for Fuckwits" (ISBN=666-12633-666) those are the only two theological viewpoints that exist.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Sean D.

quote:
Custard, you would be strongly advised not to assume anyone around here is a liberal (modernist or otherwise) simply because they are not a fuckwit like you.
You might also be well advised to clarify what you mean by liberal. Just because someone isn't an inerrantist or a con. evo. doesn't make them a liberal and within the liberal ranks you will find people who are essentially orthodox and people who are less so.

If you endeavour to bracket people into helpful little categories from the GLE book of identifying heresies, as opposed to engaging with what they actually believe and self-identify as you will probably be labelled, as Sean so concisely puts it, as a fuckwit.

Which would be a shame.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
If you endeavour to bracket people into helpful little categories from the GLE book of identifying heresies,

It's a very short book:

Ch 1 - Us.

Ch 2 - Them - neatly subdivided into three - liberals, Catholics and non-Christians (it doesn't include Orthodox).

It does not contain the concept of "credally orthodox but don't agree with Us".

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Please read all my comments here in the light of my comments on the this thread, where I think I clarify my position on liberals / conservatives (and why there are lots of kinds of both). I think there's a very sliding scale on each as well, but that's an implicit assumption in anyone talking about polar positions where one isn't just the negation of the other isn't it?

Custard

--------------------
blog

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Your problem was stupidly assuming Ham'n'Eggs was a liberal, when in fact all he was doing was pointing out how half-witted your comment was. I am an evangelical, for example, but I still think your comment was very inaccurate. So just because the Pig was disagreeing with you, it hardly makes him a modernist liberal who you thought was extinct.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Whom", dear boy, "whom".

For the record, I would not regard myself as either evangelical (as I do not hold to the pre-eminence of Holy Scripture) or liberal (as I do not hold to the pre-eminence of reason).

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Dammit!! Realised as soon as I posted it should be whom but couldn't be arsed to edit...

If you believe in the pre-eminence of neither, what on earth are you?! I need to label! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
postpostevangelical

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seán D:
If you believe in the pre-eminence of neither, what on earth are you?! I need to label! [Ultra confused]

Perhaps Orthodox? [Devil]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

Or even orthodox!

If you must label me, try middle-of-the-road Anglican[1].

[1] Except on Thursdays.

[ 11. June 2004, 14:22: Message edited by: Ham'n'Eggs ]

--------------------

philo25
Shipmate
# 5725

- Posted      Profile for philo25   Email philo25   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By Totoise;
quote:
You seem to believe you have the ability to discern who gets in and who doesn't though some poor half-arsed understanding of God derived from a literal reading of some specific bits of the bible. That, it seems to me to be arrogant, self righteous bullshit. I at least acknowledge that my understanding of the mysterious ways of the ever-loving, ever-living God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, may be a little bit more complicated than my tiny human brain can cope with.
Saviour Tortoise,

I feel you, Ham n Eggs etc not seeing the wood for the trees here. I feel the Bible itself tells us when to take things literally and when not to. For example, if Jesus says 'The only way to the Father is through the Son'..that very statement itself to my mind demands that it be taken literally. Context too obviously is very important. I feel the nature of the statement in combination with the context and in combination with other related parts of scripture, as Custard wisely pointed out, helps us to decide what parts of the Bible are to be taken literally and which are not.

So far from it being a half arsed understanding or self-righteousness, I reckon many Christians genuinely want to know what scripture is saying, and I don't think you have to be a genius to work it out. I don't feel that God is trying his hardest to make his Bible obscure or contradictory in order to flumox us, on the contrary I think anyone who approaches the bible with an 'open-mind' (ok danger word - I mean not overly influenced my today's culture) will understand the Bible as it was intended to be understood.

To my no doubt average mind I don't find much difficulty in understanding which bits are to be taken literally or otherwise. All of you guys posting here are quite intelligent, perhaps many of you find the Bible too easy and wish to complicate matters for yourselves? [Biased] Good luck if so. Of course I don't claim to competely understand God, but I feel I and anyone for that matter can understand what's written in the Bible with a bit of prayer and contemplation. That's why I'm rather bewildered by some in the Church, particularly ECUSA, and also The Catholic Church, want to take their own line rather than what I believe to be the Bible's line on many issues, or in the RC's case on Church structure.

I do feel Jensen overdoes it, he looks to the Bible for the way to operate a church, though he might be skipping over the love and compassion bits! Whereas to my mind some ultra-Liberals are only looking at the love and compassion bits and ignoring the message God has for us that will free us from certain ways of living that the Bible (literally imo) indicates are incompatible with his wishes for us.

No-one's saying ultra-Liberals aren't Christians and won't be saved (assuming they accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour of course), it's just that there is (imho) no way that they can make such moves as they have done over the last few years and claim that they are biblically (bible in its entirety that is) sound. Arguing that the Bible is not clear on some issues or that we will never know the 'mysteries of God' etc is simply poor excuse-making to my mind.

I feel both Jensen and ultra-Liberals are not taking the entirety of scripture and it's self-evident form of revelation -sometimes literal and sometimes symbolic, but always pretty obvious which is which - into account.

[ 11. June 2004, 15:16: Message edited by: philo25 ]

Posts: 246 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you must label me, try middle-of-the-road Anglican[1].

[1] Except on Thursdays.

Okay, now I have to know: what are you on Thursdays?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

I can't be 100% sure - I'll tell you next Thursday. [Devil]

--------------------

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philo25:

I do feel Jensen overdoes it, he looks to the Bible for the way to operate a church, though he might be skipping over the love and compassion bits! Whereas to my mind some ultra-Liberals are only looking at the love and compassion bits and ignoring the message God has for us that will free us from certain ways of living that the Bible (literally imo) indicates are incompatible with his wishes for us.

Well I seem to be in line with "ultra-liberals" in believing that Christianity is pre-eminently about "love and compassion". I believe that's what God is trying to show us. It is the over-arching message of the bible. It is the over-arching message of the church. God is Love. Love God and love your neighbour. There is no other comandment greater than these. And yes, I place this above What The Bible Says(TM).

quote:

I feel both Jensen and ultra-Liberals are not taking the entirety of scripture and it's self-evident form of revelation -sometimes literal and sometimes symbolic, but always pretty obvious which is which - into account.

I'm sure you're right, particularly about these 'ultra-liberals' of which you speak, however, I'm not sure I've met one. I have, however, met plenty of people who are ultra-conservative. I wonder if it's to do with how I define those terms....

[ 11. June 2004, 15:54: Message edited by: Saviour Tortoise ]

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
philo25
Shipmate
# 5725

- Posted      Profile for philo25   Email philo25   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saviour Tortoise says;
quote:
Well I seem to be in line with "ultra-liberals" in believing that Christianity is pre-eminently about "love and compassion". I believe that's what God is trying to show us. It is the over-arching message of the bible. It is the over-arching message of the church. God is Love. Love God and love your neighbour. There is no other comandment greater than these. And yes, I place this above What The Bible Says(TM).
Of course the Bible is about love and compassion. But does that mean then, that whenever God in the Bible tells us how a Christian should live, that he's being 'mean'? Or is it that he knows what's best for us and lets us know what that is, which is imho a v good example of his supreme love and compassion for us. I believe this is 'What The Bible Says (TM)' as you so wittily put it. I personally don't find God's love and compassion for us, and how God says we should try to lead our lives in the Bible, as mutually exclusive, rather the opposite. But it appears some in ECUSA don't accept this, nor perhaps Jensen either; two sides of the same coin?

--------------------
Genesis 29:20
So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, goody. We're back to people squabbling about how they individually interpret their personal version of the bible.

Well, if you want to pursue this direction in Hell, you get to benefit from MY interpretation of the bible. Ready? I just know you're going to love it. Feel free to band together and realize that your differences are relatively minor, so that you can shut the fuck up.

As best I can tell, the bible fundamentally is just the longest-running precursor to modern tabloids and fad magazines. First of all, you've got the reader's digest version of a primitive people's myths, used metaphorically to reinforce and reflect the arbitrary laws and customs of the time. Then you've got seemingly pointless lists of genealogy, which seems a lot like how future generations will consider modern society's hype about the Royals. There's some Rolling-Stone type third person reports about a really cool guy, and the tragic rock-and-roll ending of his gig because "the man" just didn't understand or resented his work. Throw in some overdressed Dear Abby, mix in a pinch of "how to feel smug and superior" Martha Stewart for your soul columns, and garnish with dire warnings from biased sources. The actual tone of the work seems to be greatly affected by the various "version" that exist, which is really unimportant but still amusing.

Basically, I suspect that the bible is the bound collection of People Magazine back issues dating from 4000 BC to 100 AD. My regard for its usefulness for discovering fundamental truths or dictating how modern society should be is attributed accordingly.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think RooK is a bit fed up with this thread.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

RooK is of course free to close the thread if he wants to.

I was reading a bit in Isaiah the other day which I think puts the situation as I see it well. You're probably all familiar with it anyhow...

quote:

Isaiah 28
16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who trusts will never be dismayed.
17 I will make justice the measuring line
and righteousness the plumb line;
hail will sweep away your refuge, the lie,
and water will overflow your hiding place.
18 Your covenant with death will be annulled;
your agreement with the grave will not stand.
When the overwhelming scourge sweeps by,
you will be beaten down by it.
19 As often as it comes it will carry you away;
morning after morning, by day and by night,
it will sweep through."

The understanding of this message
will bring sheer terror.
20 The bed is too short to stretch out on,
the blanket too narrow to wrap around you.
21 The LORD will rise up as he did at Mount Perazim,
he will rouse himself as in the Valley of Gibeon-
to do his work, his strange work,
and perform his task, his alien task.

Judgement is a task that is strange and alien to God. The question seems to be whether he does it or not...

Custard

--------------------
blog

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evo: 'How dare you argue with me don't you know I'm of the one twue faith?'

Liberal: 'Bollocks'

Evo: 'Oh please don't use these nasty nasty words - don't you know Hezekiah 17.4 says 'All who swear online are going to be casteth into eternal darkness.'

Liberal: ' No it doesn't, my understanding of the interpretation of that verse is that it says all evos are stupid and creation is a myth.'

Evo: 'Thats only because you don't understand the one twue faith. My interpretation of the Bible is the only twue one. I know that because God told me.'

Liberal: 'Where did he tell you?'

Evo: 'In the Bible.'

chive: 'Please could someone lend me a shotgun or some other method of causing myself significant pain to avoid the bleeding from my eyes that has just resulted from reading the same fucking argument for the 8 millionth time.'

Yeah I know I don't have to read it but I'm a masochist - anyone have a problem with that?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now, for an alternate interpretation...

quote:
So this is what the Sovereign LORD says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who trusts will never be dismayed.

Simple stuff, really - a metaphor for building almost anything ranging from an essay to a building. So, by saying this, the Sovereign LORD is demonstrating that he/she considers the audience to be particularly dim. It makes me start to believe that perhaps this really was written specifically for Philo69.

quote:
I will make justice the measuring line

So, basically, this is where the Sovereign LORD told Dubya to invade Iraq. I'll be durned.

quote:
Your covenant with death will be annulled;
your agreement with the grave will not stand.
When the overwhelming scourge sweeps by,
you will be beaten down by it.

This sounds kind of like we're being threatened to be mugged, after being exhumed. While this makes this Sovereign LORD person sound like a really sick motherfucker, it does sort of explain their affinity with Dubya.

quote:
As often as it comes it will carry you away;
morning after morning, by day and by night,
it will sweep through."

Most obviously read as being a variation of, "I'll keep in kicking you when you're down." Feel the love.

quote:
The understanding of this message
will bring sheer terror.

Or guys in white coats. It depends on how many goons you bring with you, and how easy it is to connect with 911.

quote:
The bed is too short to stretch out on,
the blanket too narrow to wrap around you.

And here we have an arbitary reference to someone who's still getting used to sleeping with their girlfriend. Maybe this partially explains all the hostility.

quote:
The LORD will rise up as he did at Mount Perazim,
he will rouse himself as in the Valley of Gibeon-
to do his work, his strange work,
and perform his task, his alien task.

I guess I should have watched the X-Files a little more carefully. I think I missed the "alien masturbating on top of the mountain and in the valley" episode.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To my no doubt average mind I don't find much difficulty in understanding which bits are to be taken literally or otherwise. All of you guys posting here are quite intelligent, perhaps many of you find the Bible too easy and wish to complicate matters for yourselves? [Biased] Good luck if so.

To my clearly above average mind I don't find much difficulty in understanding that you are a pissant. You've pointed out in Anselm's post the distinction between those who see the Bible as an unambiguous and authoritative revelation and those who see that the Bible contains the word of God*. Those of us in the second camp are there because that has seemed to be the best position according with what the Bible says about itself, what we observe about the world, and what we have experienced. Nothing to do with complicating matters. So take your patronising little comments, with or without the attempt to ameliorate the offensive things you say with smilies, and fuck off. [Biased]

* Personally I would rather say that the Bible points to the Word of God, which I think enables one both to acknowledge its uniqueness as well as its humaness.

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
And now, for an alternate interpretation...

quote:
I will make justice the measuring line

So, basically, this is where the Sovereign LORD told Dubya to invade Iraq. I'll be durned.
Yep, I can see the basic problem with your interpretation here, RooK. See, one of the problems in Iraq is a lack of water. Dry, arid country, and with all the shelling and fighting, the water pipe system has taken some serious damage. Granted, it's not as bad as for the Palestines in the Gaza strip*, but still, the Iraqis have a whole lack of water. So how can you possibly suggest this verse is about invading Iraq?

It's clearly a reference to how God pre-ordained the film "The Day After Tomorrow". Fuckwit [Roll Eyes]

Sarkycow

*How great am I? Gratuitous reference to the Palestine/Israel problem, which is guarenteed to create another argument. I'm sure we can get this thread to 10 pages now [Biased]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
God pre-ordained the film "The Day After Tomorrow". Fuckwit [Roll Eyes]

I don't think that's a very nice thing to say about God.

I.T.T.W.A.C.W.

[ 11. June 2004, 22:44: Message edited by: Arrietty Clock ]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you RooK

I had often wondered why you hadn't been asked host in kerygmania.

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty Clock:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
God pre-ordained the film "The Day After Tomorrow". Fuckwit [Roll Eyes]

I don't think that's a very nice thing to say about God.

I.T.T.W.A.C.W.

[Snigger] The fuckwit was directed at RooK [Biased] But I guess it would apply to God too, depending on what you thought of the film [Snigger]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
quote:

What do you mean by that? Well, the bit about you anyway - I understand what you mean about me.
I'm not sure I can explain any better than that. The closest I can give is that to almost any question about God (and most other important ones), I can answer "Yes". ("Does God exist?" "Is God merciful?" "Is God loving?" "Is God kind" "Is God arbitrary" "Is the truth laid out in the bible?" "Is God capricious?" "Is God cruel?" "Is the bible a tissue of lies?" "Does God not exist?"). On months with an 'r' in them I tend to answer "No" to all the above questions.

--------------------

mad
Apprentice
# 7442

- Posted      Profile for mad   Email mad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Snigger] The fuckwit was directed at RooK [Biased] But I guess it would apply to God too, depending on what you thought of the film [Snigger]
Very apt that a forum thread entitled hell seems to be going to hell in a hand-basket.
[Mad] [Mad]

[Learn how to quote properly, before you try to insult us again.]

[ 14. June 2004, 14:05: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

Posts: 4 | From: aus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mad:
quote:

Very apt that a forum thread entitled hell seems to be going to hell in a hand-basket.
[Mad] [Mad]

And here's another one. Is it thursday?

quote:

IBPs handy cut-out-and-keep guide to interracting on the Ship Of Fools number 63:

I thought this was supposed to be a Christian Website

Saves you having to type it all out yourself.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We need an I Thought This Was A Christian Website smilie button.

ITTWACW [Waterworks] sort of thing.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

I think RooK would make a good professor of biblical exegesis and interpretation. He would be a fuck of a lot better than the ones who taught me (which probably shows).

--------------------
postpostevangelical

philo25
Shipmate
# 5725

Linzc says

quote:
So take your patronising little comments, with or without the attempt to ameliorate the offensive things you say with smilies, and fuck off. [Biased]
Linzc, not only do you appear to have some problems accepting what the Bible says, confusing your partial rejection of what it's saying as what is it saying, now you also appear to have problems understanding what the word 'offensive' means. I have already apologised for any offence I made, which was unintentional. And by the way, we are in Hell so do stop crying. Don't you understand that if you keep on whining about me offending you, while at the same time calling me a pissant, patronising, fuckwit etc, that you are in fact the one being offensive, and deliberately so? Still, your self-contradictory views on theology don't appear to embarass you, so I guess I shouldn't expect any different with regards your view of other people's and your own offensiveness. I'm interested in the debate, and I do argue my points at least, without substituting arguments for swearing. I'm not doing it to be holier than thou, but to be less juvenile than thou! Smiley faces indicate that I'm trying to be jocular with any forthright opinion I'm making, it means I'm noticicing what I'm saying maybe controversial. I'm sorry if you have problems with this, but you appear to have so many problems I rather don't care anynore as to whether you'll take offence or no, since it appears you were born to take offence.

Moving on, both Rook and Linzc have illustrated two interesting positions one can have on the Bible!

By the Maple-Leafed one
quote:
As best I can tell, the bible fundamentally is just the longest-running precursor to modern tabloids and fad magazines. First of all, you've got the reader's digest version of a primitive people's myths, used metaphorically to reinforce and reflect the arbitrary laws and customs of the time. Then you've got seemingly pointless lists of genealogy, which seems a lot like how future generations will consider modern society's hype about the Royals. There's some Rolling-Stone type third person reports about a really cool guy, and the tragic rock-and-roll ending of his gig because "the man" just didn't understand or resented his work. Throw in some overdressed Dear Abby, mix in a pinch of "how to feel smug and superior" Martha Stewart for your soul columns, and garnish with dire warnings from biased sources. The actual tone of the work seems to be greatly affected by the various "version" that exist, which is really unimportant but still amusing.

Basically, I suspect that the bible is the bound collection of People Magazine back issues dating from 4000 BC to 100 AD. My regard for its usefulness for discovering fundamental truths or dictating how modern society should be is attributed accordingly.

Rook's over-laboured attempt at wit does contain an interesting position at it's core [Biased] , one in fact I used to adopt before I became a Christian. Reading the Bible without belief one would likely find it an interesting but essentially pointless novel, rather like War and Peace but with still more characters. Sure there'd be some wisdom in there and some beautiful ideas, perhaps more than you might find in other books. (Albeit I reckon it's the Bible that has influenced and triggered all the wisdom that future generations produce in any case)

By Lovely-Linzc

quote:
Personally I would rather say that the Bible points to the Word of God, which I think enables one both to acknowledge its uniqueness as well as its humaness.
'Points'? I personally would not like to follow anything unless I'm pretty sure what the Word of God is. Just like when I'm reading instructions on how to cook a meal, I don't want one that 'points' to the right temperature, length of time, when to stir etc, I went clear instructions, otherwise the result might be a culinary disaster! (Not unusual at my house, but I'm a crap cook) And when I'm looking at a map that will get me out of the forest, I'd rather not have a map with a set of 'pointings' in the general direction, but instead a recent Ordnance-Survey eddition. Likewise in life, I want an Ordnance-Survey, not an Ikea instruction leaflet!

I personally feel I'd be a bit of a dumbass (some think I already am on this thread but hey) believing in something intangible, something very mysterious that the Bible only 'points' to. If I shared your opinion on the Bible Linzc, I'd end up like Rook and dismiss the whole thing as a collection of People magazine or whatever Canadian rag he reads [Biased] Although I disagree with Rook's conclusions, I think he's being more sensible in not taking the Bible too seriously given that his faith is not strong (I assume). If the Bible only points to the truth, well perhaps the Bhagavad Gita does too, so why not be a Hindu aswell? Imo I feel Rook's position has greater intellectual integrity. Paul himself says that if there is no resurrection, then our faith is futile. He says himself and quotes from Isaiah, that Jesus will be a stunbling bock for Jews and foolishness to Gentiles. I agree with him, if we only think that the Bible points to the Word of God, then how do we know if the Resurrection was real or not, what if God was not pointing in the right direction that day and Paul relied on his own feelings? If we're not even sure if what is reported in the Bible is real, then we won't know if what Jesus said was real or imagined. Then how can we trust him if he claims he is the Son of God?

I'm not prepared to follow Jesus, have people and family think I'm wierd for not getting drunk, evangelising, sleeping around etc., give up many things in life that humans prize just for a set of 'pointings' in the general direction of God's Word. Still less a Bible that comprises a collection of 'Readers Digests' (shudder), but one that remains after all the millenia, a clear accurate and unambiguous account of God's Word to his prophets and mankind.

I reckon it's important in the light of the arguments put forward by Rook and Linzc to ask ourselves what it is that makes a Christian, Christian. I feel Linzc definition of the Bible pointing to the Word of God would not be accepted by any of the martyrs, Popes, ABC's or even the majority of Christians worldwide, still less Paul and the Apostles. It's not neccessarily the case that the majority within a group is always right of course, but it's a good indication in imo.

[ 14. June 2004, 15:00: Message edited by: philo25 ]

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thus gushed forth Philo, like many a clueless fundy before and after:

quote:

'Points'? I personally would not like to follow anything unless I'm pretty sure what the Word of God is. Just like when I'm reading instructions on how to cook a meal, I don't want one that 'points' to the right temperature, length of time, when to stir etc, I went clear instructions, otherwise the result might be a culinary disaster! (Not unusual at my house, but I'm a crap cook) And when I'm looking at a map that will get me out of the forest, I'd rather not have a map with a set of 'pointings' in the general direction, but instead a recent Ordnance-Survey eddition. Likewise in life, I want an Ordnance-Survey, not an Ikea instruction leaflet!

[sings]You can't always get what you wa-ant[/Sings]

It isn't a case of what would you like. It's a case of what have you got. Your argument here is a bit like arguing that your haddock is in fact cod because you wanted cod. Shame the chipshop only had haddock.

quote:
I personally feel I'd be a bit of a dumbass (some think I already am on this thread but hey) believing in something intangible, something very mysterious that the Bible only 'points' to. If I shared your opinion on the Bible Linzc, I'd end up like Rook and dismiss the whole thing as a collection of People magazine or whatever Canadian rag he reads Although I disagree with Rook's conclusions, I think he's being more sensible in not taking the Bible too seriously given that his faith is not strong (I assume).
RooK is a self described agnostic.

But why your lack of interest in a personal voyage of discovery about what God is really like, based on the pointers of the Bible?

quote:
If the Bible only points to the truth, well perhaps the Bhagavad Gita does too, so why not be a Hindu aswell?
Perhaps it does. Perhaps the Koran is actually the literal word of God. Why do you believe it's the Bible that is so amazing and not the Koran?

quote:
Imo I feel Rook's position has greater intellectual integrity. Paul himself says that if there is no resurrection, then our faith is futile.
Can you spell non-sequitur? Why are we suddenly talking about the resurrection? We were talking about the Bible a paragraph ago!

quote:
He says himself and quotes from Isaiah, that Jesus will be a stunbling bock for Jews and foolishness to Gentiles. I agree with him, if we only think that the Bible points to the Word of God, then how do we know if the Resurrection was real or not
You believe in Jesus rising from the dead just because some people wrote that He did [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Erich von Daniken - I've found you a new market!

quote:
what if God was not pointing in the right direction that day and Paul relied on his own feelings?
Paul was doing exactly what you're trying to do here - construct a cogent argument. Some kind of divine dictation doesn't come into it.

quote:
If we're not even sure if what is reported in the Bible is real, then we won't know if what Jesus said was real or imagined. Then how can we trust him if he claims he is the Son of God?
You believe He is the Son of God just because someone wrote down His claim to be?

Enter David Icke Stage Left with a hopeful look in his eye.

quote:
I'm not prepared to follow Jesus, have people and family think I'm wierd for not getting drunk, evangelising, sleeping around etc.,
Not evangelising is part of your following Jesus (sorry, being a pedantic git)

quote:
give up many things in life that humans prize just for a set of 'pointings' in the general direction of God's Word. Still less a Bible that comprises a collection of 'Readers Digests' (shudder)
But it's take it or leave it. As I said before, we have the Bible we have, not the Bible you want. I think Calvin's Institutues of Religion is more the sort of thing you were wanting.

quote:
but one that remains after all the millenia, a clear accurate and unambiguous account of God's Word to his prophets and mankind.
It self-evidently isn't that though. If it were clear and unambiguous, we would hardly have people killing each other over what it says. If it were accurate, it would be able to count the number of legs locusts have, calculate Pi and be able to say who persuaded David to take his disastrous census.

quote:
I reckon it's important in the light of the arguments put forward by Rook and Linzc to ask ourselves what it is that makes a Christian, Christian.
Bingo! I knew hints of the "better/more faithful/more real Christian than you" subtext that too many fundies have would come through in the end. It always does. Go on, tell us we're not really saved - I know you want to.

quote:
I feel Linzc definition of the Bible pointing to the Word of God would not be accepted by any of the martyrs, Popes, ABC's or even the majority of Christians worldwide, still less Paul and the Apostles. It's not neccessarily the case that the majority within a group is always right of course, but it's a good indication in imo.
And you know what all these illustrious folk thought how exactly? Anything more substantial than "they were really holy so they'd obviously have the same ideas as me"?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

philo25, your homework assignment for tonight is to read, mark and inwardly digest this thread What Is A Christian?

You would probably find it helpful to browse through the boards and read some more of these old threads, as you seem to be keen to go over some very well trodded ground here. Try Dead Horses - plenty of good reading there!

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
Originally posted by mad:
[Mad] [Mad]

<Dislaimer: the following is an analogy, that has limits. Don't bother pushing them, unless you wish to look particularly anal.>

Do you make a habit of bursting unnanounced into rooms full of people located on private property in a foreign country and launching into conversation without taking the trouble to find out:

1) who is taking part
2) what they are talking about
3) what the substance of the conversation is, and
4) what the local customs and accepted standards of behaviour are?

If not, then why are you doing something very similar to this here?

Try reading the separate guidelines for posting on each board, and reading them for a while before diving in with particularly stupid remarks. Then we can give your foolishness the full attention that it deserves.

And if you don't recognise the analogy above, and assume that because this website is part of the Internet so therefore works the same as the rest of it - WRONG!

--------------------

philo25
Shipmate
# 5725

Karl says
quote:
Thus gushed forth Philo, like many a clueless fundy before and after: ..
Clueless? Well how rude, just becuase of that I'm gonna try and be extra clued-up on this post...

It isn't a case of what would you like. It's a case of what have you got. Your argument here is a bit like arguing that your haddock is in fact cod because you wanted cod. Shame the chipshop only had haddock.

Nice try Karl [Biased] No, my argument here, if you would be so good as to allow me to modify your allegory, is that the Haddock many people are mistaking for a Cod, is in fact a Haddock, and always has been! People may be confused as to the nature of the Haddock by the disappointing chips and swamping of vinegar (i.e. life and it's troubles, keep up with me here!) but the Haddock, I'm arguing, is a Haddock. I'm grateful to you for brining up the subject of Haddock and Cod by the way since I now know what I'm having for dinner [Yipee] Perhaps some of that Omega-3 oil will help me with the clueless-fundie disease I've come down with too [Biased] Anyway, leaving those smiley's behind..

quote:
But why your lack of interest in a personal voyage of discovery about what God is really like, based on the pointers of the Bible?

Perhaps the Koran is actually the literal word of God. Why do you believe it's the Bible that is so amazing and not the Koran?

I feel that becoming a Christian and reading the Bible is a voyage of discovery in itself, I don't feel anything else has remotely enriched my life as much as becoming a Christian. But I also feel the beauty of the Bible means it self-evidently is the truth. I trust the fact that it's been written by many people and not just been dictated to one person (a la Koran). And also, having read bits of the Koran I find it quite dull and repetative, half of it goes on about how silly all the Jews and Christians are etc.

quote:
You believe in Jesus rising from the dead just because some people wrote that He did

Erich von Daniken - I've found you a new market!

Yup. I also believe you to be a liberal backslider becuase you say that you are. Shall I get all paranoid and start questioning whether that's true, and that you're not just pretending, or shall I judge what you write on it's merits? I do that with the Bible, I feel it correctly in my view describes the situation of helplessness and sin that we're in, and that the only solution is to trust the one that died in our place. I beleive the Bible correctly diagnoses our condition, therefore I trust the medicine will work too. Erich von Daniken is clearly bonkers! [Big Grin]

quote:
It self-evidently isn't that though. If it were clear and unambiguous, we would hardly have people killing each other over what it says. If it were accurate, it would be able to count the number of legs locusts have, calculate Pi and be able to say who persuaded David to take his disastrous census.
Sorry I don't get what you're saying. Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek. Just becuase people don't, doesn't mean that Jesus was wrong, it means that we don't obey him. As for calculating Pi, what has that to do with the meaning of life and our afterlife? God I feel rather thoughtfully left us to discover scientific advances and his physical rules for our universe.

quote:
And you know what all these illustrious folk thought how exactly? Anything more substantial than "they were really holy so they'd obviously have the same ideas as me"?
Nope, I know what they thought, just as I know what you think, from what they wrote, and what other people wrote about them. Yep, I trust that, perhaps I'm naive, but going to the opposite extreme means one will end up paronoid and not trust the Moon landings etc..I also feel the goodness and 'truth' of what they wrote amongst other thins means that the Bible is God's word.

[ 14. June 2004, 15:46: Message edited by: philo25 ]

--------------------
Genesis 29:20
So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

Philo, have you ever actually read the bible?

If so, perhaps you would have noticed a few things that K:LB was pointing out. Like the fact that it gets the number of legs on a locust wrong. Like the fact that it claims pi is equal to three. Like the fact that there are two versions of creation in Genesis.

If such things were ignored by the bible and not put in at all, there would be no problem. The fact is the bible is WRONG on basic factual matters. If you don't have problems with what the bible says, you have no more brains than a cube of tofu and use them even less effectively.

I'm not aware Erich von Daniken is bonkers enough to claim π=3 or even to contradict himself about his basic theses. Yet you claim he is bonkers (I agree btw), and yet accept unquestioningly the word of a collection of people more bonkers than he.

Also the bible repeatedly looks approvingly on genocide and raping war captives. Do you follow this part of the "Instruction Manual"? If not, why not?

(On an aside, you were wrong in your pedantry, Karl. It's not that he doesn't evangelise- it's that he sleeps around to follow Jesus)

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I also feel the beauty of the Bible means it self-evidently is the truth.

You know, I quite like it when inerrantists come out and say plainly that their believe in inerrant scripture is one of faith, not one that can be rationally argued. At least I can respect that position even if I think it's wrong.

The above, philo25, is on a par with misinterpreting 2 Timothy to say that the Bible is inerrant - whether it says that or not (and it doesn't) it is an utter irrelevance as a proof.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Philo, have you ever actually read the bible?

If so, perhaps you would have noticed a few things that K:LB was pointing out. Like the fact that it gets the number of legs on a locust wrong. Like the fact that it claims pi is equal to three. Like the fact that there are two versions of creation in Genesis.

I learnt many years ago (like first time I saw it) that anyone trying to invoke 1 Ki 7:23 as proof the Bible was wrong via pi clearly a) doesn't know what they are talking about and b) is just looking for reasons not to believe, can't find any good ones and so settles on this.

1 Ki 7:23
23 He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.

Justinian and Karl think this means the Bible claims that pi is EXACTLY 3. Now if any of my 14 year old maths pupils or my GCSE physics kids couldn't see why that was wrong, I'd want them put in remedial classes.

Let me explain.
The number "3" when referring to a continuous variable such as length means "somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5" or "within experimental error". Or do you think that when I say my mass is 80kg, I mean it is 80.0000000000000000kg?
Ditto "10".

Leaving aside any discussion about whether "circular" means "exactly circular", which it obviously doesn't since it is referring to a physical object, this gives a value for pi between 10.5 / 2.5 and 9.5/3.5 - i.e. between 4.2 and 2.7, probably nearish 3. Which is accurate.

Now go and try reading the Bible to see what it actually says, rather than with the specific intention of discrediting it because it doesn't fit in with the way you want to live your life. Yes, I know that's a stereotypical view, but if you're claiming that pi is the reason for you rejecting the Bible, then you're clearly trying to come up with excuses to cover something.

Oh, and locusts. Hebrew classification of animals seems to be based on how they move, so bats are in with birds and whales with fish. Locusts then are described as "moving on all fours", which doesn't descirbe the number of legs, but the way that they move. Poor translation of Hebrew idiom into English...

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but that argument gets on my nerves....

Custard

--------------------
blog

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Custard, perhaps you and Philo should conspire offline to consider the meaning of the word "accurate".
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Oh, forgot to add....

This is all "in my opinion"... In a way, I'd quite like to be wrong on this one, but I can't see how I can be. Please point it out if I've made a howling mistake in my logic.

I'll do Justinian and Karl the credit of saying they seem like intelligent people.

However, they try claiming 1 Ki 7:23 is a valid argument against the inerrancy of the Bible.

Therefore, it seems to me that they have clearly ceased to be rational in this argument. They are arguing based on feelings, which they don't want to bring into the discussion.

So I for one don't see much point in replying to them.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

Custurd

Find something worth getting worked up about, will ya? There's a sweetie.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite late attempts to flatter me, Custard, I can see your agenda very clearly now.

You have taken the opportunity to falsely accuse Justinian and I of wanting not to believe the Bible or some such bullshit.

Nope. Just to demonstrate it isn't accurate, as Philo claimed it was.

I'm sure if you asked your maths students the circumference of an object with diameter 10 cm, and they replied 30cm, you'd mark them wrong. 31.4cm, surely? Possibly 31cm. But this is digression.

Locusts do not move on four legs, regardless of how you attempt to parse the passage. They use all six. It simply gets it wrong. Much easier to accept that (along with geocentrism and a flat earth, windows beyond the stars through which the rain comes and so on) and move on.

My agenda, which you prefer to slander, is simply to find truth. Once a particular religious viewpoint becomes more important than truth, you're shagged.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016