homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Universities - Watch out here they come!! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Universities - Watch out here they come!!
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing that would have been really useful in halls was earplug... Essential when your room is opposite the JCR and can't go to bed till the discos have finished whether you like it or not.

Halls were such random days...

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Offspring e-mailed yesterday to say she'd spotted a mouse run out from under her roomate's bed and head straight for the kitchen area! [Help] I'm now wondering if a trap comes under prohibited items for cabin baggage.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miffy, I would think that mousetraps could be purchased in NYC far easier than it would be to bring one across the Pond.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, mice in university lodgings...... It's a race to see if you can use up the flour from the top of the packet faster than the mouse can eat it from the bottom. (Avoiding the extra protein of mouse droppings, of course.)

Seems to me that kids break all the rules these days - the unspoken rule for every event, scrape or accident used to be: "Don't tell your mother!"

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today we had the second phone call home since offspring left for Uni in September. Sadly it was bad news - he's had his bike stolen. (yes the new bike we bought him and assembled for him outside the hall of residence on arrivals day).
[Frown]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Miffy, I would think that mousetraps could be purchased in NYC far easier than it would be to bring one across the Pond.

Second that, plus taking someone to the store where they can buy them, means next time they should only email you with the news "We've caught the mouse!"

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chorister said:
Seems to me that kids break all the rules these days - the unspoken rule for every event, scrape or accident used to be: "Don't tell your mother!"

Sometimes it's a case of "Tell your mother what you think is important. True tale:
In their second year my brother and his flatmates were evicted because the landlord hadn't paid the mortgage even though the boys had paid their rent. These great big 6 foot lads weren't concerned about the fact that their clothes, books and notes were mainly still locked in the flat till a time could be arranged to collect everything. No, they were worried that the mouse nesting in their scrap paper box would get cold! [Killing me]

This was actually my brother's main issue when he rang Mum to tell us he was back in halls for a few weeks...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear about your son's bike, GR. [Frown] As for the mouse, Ms Miff's got less than two months left out there, anyway, so we're not panicking.

A rat, now, that'd be something else... [Help]

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No just block up all the escape routes and let it die of starvation! That's what we did. We heard rustling was suspicious something was getting in so blocked the hole. Unfortunately for said rat it was "in" at the time and we did not have much food it could eat lying around. We had a lot of tinned food, some fresh veg in the fridge and the bread was kept in the bread bin. So it starved.

Only problem was it hid under the kitchen units while it starved and boy did its decomposing body smell. My friend who decided something must be done, waited until the only male of the household was out of the way (imagine Lance Corporal Jack Jones helping out) and I was busy. She opened up the space under the units found the body and cleaned the whole kitchen with bleach. All kudos to her.

Jengie

[ 06. November 2007, 18:24: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016