homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christus Victor (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  67  68  69 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christus Victor
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. While I find this topic itself to be endlessly entertaining, it helps a lot to be discussing it with people who are not only smart but also gracious. [Overused]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
Me too. While I find this topic itself to be endlessly entertaining, it helps a lot to be discussing it with people who are not only smart but also gracious. [Overused]

As you also always are Freddy! [Angel]

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definition of punishment: AKA 1930's lecture series on the atonement by Leonard Hodgson DD Oxford Professor who says: (my paraphrase)

Punishment is NOT an issue between individuals such as is revenge. It is between an individual and his commnity. It is necessary in order to allow the community to divorce itself from the behaviour of a recalcitrant. Without it, the community would be accepting of evil and consequently compromising its own existence.

How relevant?

Well, he says that God must analogously punish the evil in man. Punishment has the value of divorcing God from evil which has entered he creation through sin. The gospel, though, allows for Christ, the God-man to subsume the punishment due to us into himself and consequently demonstrate his love and willingness to forgive.

The point he makes is that punishment is a necessity in its own right, apart from any reformation or deterrent or other positive spin-off since it is necessary for the moral integrity of the system involved.

Comments?

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
The point he makes is that punishment is a necessity in its own right, apart from any reformation or deterrent or other positive spin-off since it is necessary for the moral integrity of the system involved.

Comments?

This is certainly true in the sense that consequences are a necessity for any action. The integrity of any system demands this.

A community must necessarily respond to destructive crimes or it will not thrive. But the point isn't that punishments, as one form of response, magically restore the moral balance. The point is simply to try to stop the crime.

This in no way transfers to PSA, unless you think that punishments stop crime because they are pleasing to God, who then takes the crime away.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Definition of punishment: AKA 1930's lecture series on the atonement by Leonard Hodgson DD Oxford Professor who says: (my paraphrase)

Punishment is NOT an issue between individuals such as is revenge. It is between an individual and his commnity. It is necessary in order to allow the community to divorce itself from the behaviour of a recalcitrant. Without it, the community would be accepting of evil and consequently compromising its own existence.

How relevant?

Well, he says that God must analogously punish the evil in man. Punishment has the value of divorcing God from evil which has entered he creation through sin. The gospel, though, allows for Christ, the God-man to subsume the punishment due to us into himself and consequently demonstrate his love and willingness to forgive.

Comments?

Well I take the point about vengeance not being a wholly appropriate term, but nevertheless, I couldn't disagree with the good Doctor more, really. Seems to me like a post hoc justification of the moral basis for PSA. And it isn't a developed argument either (though I accept that it is a very distilled version of his thought). It is merely assertion. He gives no reason why punishment should be necessary for the assertion of a society's moral (as opposed to structural) integrity. There are myriad other ways of distancing society from the actions of evildoers within society without invoking punishment. I suspect that it is not so much moral distance which concerns him, but rather self-preservation. Whether, of course, punishment is an appropriate route to self preservation, even in a fallen society, is a debateable point. Girard would say not. But it is also an essentially uitilitatian point, and I don't think it is admissible, from a Christian POV, to conflate a utilitarian approach with moral worth.

But, in any case, the counter cultural nature of the Gospel should make us very wary of reading back societal norms into the economy of the Kingdom.

Oh, and what Freddy said!

[ 19. December 2007, 08:48: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Comments?

Only two things:

God is not subject to necessity.

God is not moral.
Humans are. And our ways are not His ways. God loves us so much, that he blesses, in an active way, both the righteous and the lawless.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, still going. [Big Grin]

Although the thread wasn't quite so lovey-dovey when I left... I think Jamat has gone soft. [Waterworks]

Well, after all our travelling, (as a family) we've finally arrived at our destination - where the dark side of the force holds sway. So I'm now a half South African Pom living in Australia. Let's talk rugby. [Killing me]

More seriously, I'd like to carry on JJ's and Freddy's discussion of scriptural preconditions for forgiveness - I think Freddy was pretty fair in his texts, but I'm still not sure how you both reconcile them?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
More seriously, I'd like to carry on JJ's and Freddy's discussion of scriptural preconditions for forgiveness - I think Freddy was pretty fair in his texts, but I'm still not sure how you both reconcile them?

Glad you are at home down under, Johnny. How do they celebrate Christmas without the deep snow that we here in the North so associate with the holiday?

As for reconciling the texts, I think that it requires a very different understanding of how God works with human sins than the one that people commonly have.

People, I think, commonly think of God being upset by our sins in the same way that a teacher might be irritated by a misbehaving pupil. He then punishes in response, either in this life or after death. This is the way that it is depicted in the Bible, and it is a model that is easy to understand both for children and adults.

I have a hard time understanding, however, how anyone can be so stupid as to think that this is actually how it works. The problems with it are so glaring and irreconcilable that they should be obvious to everyone - in my opinion. I won't even list them.

The alternative to this view, in my opinion, is a system in which God "punishes" evil in the same way that life "punishes" irresponsible living, disease "punishes" unhealthy lifestyles, or gravity "punishes" poor balance. There is no intention by God in these things to punish. The "punishment" is simply the consequence that is inherent in the disorder itself. The whole idea of "punishment" is a human construct to describe these inherent consequences and compare them to the intentional corrections that people use to socialize children and members of communities.

While no one is so simple as to think that God punishes people for the sin of standing in the middle of freeways by having cars run over them, people do think that God punishes people who commit adultery by sending them to hell after death. They don't realize that the misery of hell is inherent in adultery in the same way that getting run over is inherent in standing in freeways.

If sin is seen in this way - as the spiritual equivalent of every other kind of harmful thing in this world - it is very easy to reconcile the texts. Just as a purely loving God can allow gravity to operate, even if it means that things might fall and break, He can also allow people's moral behaviors to expose them to harm. God does not wish the harm in either case - He is unconditionally loving and forgiving.

But if people aren't careful they will fall, or crash, or get sick. The exact same thing is true of spiritual ills and their consequences. The consequences are not willed or caused by God, they are inherent in the system.

Forgiveness is just a way of understanding that just as things can fall and break, they can also be fixed. If the conditions for healing are satisfied the healing will take place. It's all part of an orderly, universal process and system.

This understanding perfectly reconciles these teachings. It makes spiritual life perfectly analagous to the way almost all things work in this world.

The religious language of sin and forgiveness is adapted to the way that socialization works in human experience, but everyone should intuitively see that this is not how God really works.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The alternative to this view, in my opinion, is a system in which God "punishes" evil in the same way that life "punishes" irresponsible living, disease "punishes" unhealthy lifestyles, or gravity "punishes" poor balance. There is no intention by God in these things to punish. The "punishment" is simply the consequence that is inherent in the disorder itself.

G'day Freddy, (you see I'm learning a new language already [Big Grin] )

I think I see your train of thought but don't you just create an even bigger problem? Namely the repeated NT assertion that (in Christ) God does not give us what we deserve. Sin is like gravity and if we fall off a cliff we should (by the 'laws' of physics) get squished. The great news of the gospel is that God 'lets us off' the consequences.

If you are right then where is the justice? How can God let some of us off and not others? (e.g. some drunk drivers get home safely, some do not.)

Hope you have some snow this Christmas!

John.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I think I see your train of thought but don't you just create an even bigger problem? Namely the repeated NT assertion that (in Christ) God does not give us what we deserve.

Why is this a problem? It is perfectly analogous, I think, to the way that all things work.

If we are so foolish as to be bitten by a snake then we "deserve" to die. But the invention of anti-venom rescues us from that fate. Jesus explicitly makes this comparison when He says:
quote:
John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
The people bitten by the snake deserved to die. But the brass serpent that Moses made rescued them from what they deserved. Anti-venom, or any cure, works the same way. The concept is that people are victims of evil just as they are victims of snake-bites. They need to learn how to avoid snakes, and to develop medecines to cure them if they are bitten. This is precisely what Jesus does.
quote:
Sin is like gravity and if we fall off a cliff we should (by the 'laws' of physics) get squished. The great news of the gospel is that God 'lets us off' the consequences.

Yes, He lets us off the consequences in the same way that someone who falls off a cliff can be let off if they have a parachute or some amazing luck.

People fall from all kinds of things in all kinds of situations, and sometimes they hurt themselves and sometimes not. The physical laws governing whether or not you get hurt are perfectly uniform and universal, and almost perfectly predictable. We know that bones exposed to X-amount of force will break or shatter, or not, depending on their strength, flexibility and density. But the factors governing any particular fall are so complex that a minor stumble can result great damage, while a significant fall can miraculously leave a person almost unharmed.

Yet the "justice" is perfect and unquestionable. No one thinks that gravity is capricious.

The great news of the gospel is not that we have been "let off" but that we have been given a cure. The cure works within and according to God's universal laws in the same way that all human cures do.
quote:
If you are right then where is the justice? How can God let some of us off and not others? (e.g. some drunk drivers get home safely, some do not.)

The justice is in the fact that the laws governing what we call, or what the Bible calls, "salvation" are perfectly universal and perfectly fair.

The same is true of the laws that govern whether drunks crash on the way home from the bar. Some do crash and some don't crash. It doesn't seem especially fair, nor is it fair from the point of view of whether one really "deserved" to crash. But it is perfectly fair in the sense that the physical laws governing intoxication and its effects on driving ability, as well as the laws that govern everything connected with how crashes happen, are perfectly constant and absolute. Gravity is never suspended, nor is double gravity ever imposed. Every drunk driver gets fair and equal treatment as far as gravity, and toxicology, are concerned.

The same is true of salvation. God's system is perfectly fair and equal. Everyone on earth is saved or not according to the conditions that Jesus describes in the Gospels. But note how general His conditions are, repeatedly referring to "wickedness" and "righteousness" in various ways. These are concepts that are commonly understood everywhere on earth. So salvation is possible everywhere.

But just as anti-venom is not universally available, knowledge and acceptance of the gospel can also be limited. It is important to spread the knowledge of the gospel in the same way that it is important to spread knowledge of physical cures and health practices.

In the end "faith" is the deciding factor in the same sense that universal standards and practices of good health, sanitation, nutrition, exercise and similar things are deciding factors for human physical health. Without these things a healthy human population is not possible, even if any individual can be healthy in almost any circumstances. Without faith a spiritually healthy human population is not possible, even if it is also true that a well-intentioned individual can be saved regardless of what they know or believe.

So God's system itself is perfectly just and fair - but just and fair only in the same sense that physical laws are just and fair. The purpose of the Incarnation is to work within that perfect system to extend the justice and fairness that comes with the knowledge of who God is and how He works. It is exactly parallel to the advantages that come with increasing knowledge of how the physical world works.

This is why the value of the Lord's coming is so frequently described in terms of light in the darkness and the benefits of that light. And light overcomes darkness, just as Jesus overcame the power of darkness. Knowledge will overcome ignorance, and the benefits of knowledge will overcome its dangers - or so the prophets tell us. It's a matter of trust. [Biased]
quote:
Hope you have some snow this Christmas!

Not likely, unfortunately. It is so totally unfair. [Frown]

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnny S:
[QB] Wow, still going. [Big Grin]

Although the thread wasn't quite so lovey-dovey when I left... I think Jamat has gone soft. [Waterworks]

Johnny S welcome back. You've been missed.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

The same is true of salvation. God's system is perfectly fair and equal. Everyone on earth is saved or not according to the conditions that Jesus describes in the Gospels. But note how general His conditions are, repeatedly referring to "wickedness" and "righteousness" in various ways. These are concepts that are commonly understood everywhere on earth. So salvation is possible everywhere.

Okay, I think I've got you.

This is probably going over old ground but if we believe in a theistic creator then didn't God make these 'physical laws' in the first place? As far as I can see your system falls back to a penal understanding too, just one step removed.

(But as I said, I think we might have had this conversation before ... indulge my amnesia. [Roll Eyes] )

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Okay, I think I've got you.

This is probably going over old ground but if we believe in a theistic creator then didn't God make these 'physical laws' in the first place? As far as I can see your system falls back to a penal understanding too, just one step removed.

(But as I said, I think we might have had this conversation before ... indulge my amnesia. [Roll Eyes] )

I'm sure we've had every possible related conversation before [Biased]

Welcome back, John [Smile]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Freddy:
In the end "faith" is the deciding factor in the same sense that universal standards and practices of good health, sanitation, nutrition, exercise and similar things are deciding factors for human physical health. Without these things a healthy human population is not possible, even if any individual can be healthy in almost any circumstances. Without faith a spiritually healthy human population is not possible, even if it is also true that a well-intentioned individual can be saved regardless of what they know or believe.

I have some problems with the 'analogy' reasoning though I can see the consistency of your thinking Freddy. To see God acting in terms of physical laws seems to beg the question of the supernatural transaction at the centre of the Gospel. The issue for me is the precise nature of that transaction and the reason for its necessity. Think of John Ch 3. Jesus said to Nicodemus that he must be 'born again'. To a ruling pharisee that would not have been a foreign concept as some Jewish Christians have informed me. Nicodemus would have considered hinself 'born again' already in about 3 watershed times of his life, such as his Bar Mitzvah and his marriage and his appointment to the ruling council. For Jesus to suggest another 'new birth' would have puzzled him exceedingly.

So what exactly was Jesus demanding here of him and what is demanded of us, two millenia later and so very far removed from Judaism? Whatever it is, it takes in the heart of what we call the atonement would you agree?

You also suggest in this clip that maybe a "well intentioned individual can be saved regardless of what they know or believe."

This implies, if you believe it, that Jesus is not, as he claimed, the 'only' way to the father, doesn't it?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:

I can't remember either whether this is old ground or not. But I like your thought because it tells me a little more about what you mean by a penal understanding.

I hope that you don't think that I've been saying that punishment doesn't happen. I do believe in punishment, I just don't believe that God is the one who punishes.

As I understand it, God created the universe in such a way that a central feature is the law of opposites. So if closeness to God brings light, warmth, love, truth, and therefore happiness, then distance brings the opposite, and therefore unhappiness.

This feature pervades the universe. In physical terms it means survival and success for anything or anyone who lives in more perfect harmony with physical laws, and suffering, defeat and death for the less perfect.

So, yes, this is in a sense a penal system. Jesus doesn't undo this system or negate its consequences. He just makes it possible for us to succeed within it - not by our power but by His, which is, and always was, the only power that exists.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I have some problems with the 'analogy' reasoning though I can see the consistency of your thinking Freddy. To see God acting in terms of physical laws seems to beg the question of the supernatural transaction at the centre of the Gospel. The issue for me is the precise nature of that transaction and the reason for its necessity.

You're right, I think, that this whole discussion is about the nature of the supernatural transaction that is at the center of the Gospel.

I think that the nature of this transaction is that God came into the world to restore order by overcoming the power of darkness that was threatening to overwhelm humanity, enslave us, and eventually destroy us.
quote:
Think of John Ch 3. Jesus said to Nicodemus that he must be 'born again'...
So what exactly was Jesus demanding here of him and what is demanded of us, two millenia later and so very far removed from Judaism? Whatever it is, it takes in the heart of what we call the atonement would you agree?

Yes, I would agree. The power of hell that would enslave us is the power of the love of self and the love of worldly things, when they become dominant in our hearts. These are the loves and desires that we are born into.

To be born again is to place these two good and useful sets of loves and desires in their rightful place, subordinate to the love of God and the love of the neighbor. The reason that this is compared to a second birth is that through the process of understanding, believing, and practicing God's Word, He causes a new heart or a new will to grow up within us. This is really a whole new person - a second birth. This is often referenced in Scripture:
quote:
Ezekiel 11:19 Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh,

Ezekiel 18:31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit.

Ezekiel 36:26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

The idea is that when people obey Him, and repent of their sins, God creates a new heart in them. In order for this to happen a person has to be willing to give up the old heart, or the old life.

People have to be willing, in effect, to die in order to live. This is at the center of why Jesus died on the cross - to perfectly model the process of internal death and rebirth and overcome the power of hell, which opposes this, in the process.
quote:
You also suggest in this clip that maybe a "well intentioned individual can be saved regardless of what they know or believe."

This implies, if you believe it, that Jesus is not, as he claimed, the 'only' way to the father, doesn't it?

Jesus is the only way to the Father. There is no alternative means of salvation other than what He taught. Nor can humanity as a whole be saved in any other way than by accepting, believing in, and obeying the Gospel.

But this is, according to my analogy, like saying that there is no way for there to be improved health worldwide except by means of better sanitation, hygiene, healthcare and nutrition, as these things are understood in western culture. This may or may not actually be true.

Better yet, it is like saying that unless everyone on earth lives by the healthcare principles of, say, "Dr. Perfect Health" they can never be healthy. This would be setting up a man as the ultimate, perfect authority on health - acknowledging that he was essentially god as far as health was concerned.

The point is that even if we said this, it wouldn't mean that people who had never heard of "Dr Perfect Health" would necessarily be unhealthy. It would only mean, if there was such a thing, that all of the other systems and ideas of health were deficient in some way, and that people are healthy only insofar as their ideas and practices were consistent with the true ideas and practices of Dr. Perfect Health.

So it's not that Jesus as an individual ushers you into God's presence. It is rather that since He is God, He is the ultimate authority on the way to heaven and heavenly happiness. Ultimately everyone who wishes to have heavenly joy in their life must worship Him because He is God and the only possible source of that joy. So everyone in heaven worships Him. Anyone, however, of any religion, who believes and practices similar things to what Jesus taught will easily be able to see Him as God in the next life. He is the embodiment of what they already believe and practice.

So Jesus is the way the truth and the life. There is no other way to heaven.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes Freddy I forget why and over what I ever polarize with you.

Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

So, yes, this is in a sense a penal system. Jesus doesn't undo this system or negate its consequences. He just makes it possible for us to succeed within it - not by our power but by His, which is, and always was, the only power that exists.

Isn't this sense of fulfiling physical laws and making it possible for us to succeed by His power PSA? (In the sense of God creating the laws in the first place.)

This all sounds incredibly like God is constrained by his own 'laws' ... something I thought opponents of PSA were very anti ...?

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
I'm sure we've had every possible related conversation before [Biased]

Welcome back, John [Smile]

Thanks JJ.

Sometimes having the same conversations again is boring and sometimes I notice for the first time what was obvious to you the first time you said it.

Mostly I just like the sound of my own voice. [Big Grin]

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
This all sounds incredibly like God is constrained by his own 'laws' ... something I thought opponents of PSA were very anti ...?

I think that it all depends on how we see the laws and what we mean by Him being constrained by them.

As I see it, He IS the laws, and He is not constrained by them, He simply acts by means of them.

His fundamental purpose springs from the fact that He is love itself, and the laws spring from the same source. They are the means by which love operates for the long term benefit of creation, which He loves. His ultimate purpose is to bring creation, especially humanity, into the happy state that is called heaven, or heaven on earth.

This is different than the idea that justice must be satisfied, because it is not clear how this penal "justice" is consistent with love. I'm not saying that it is clear how everything that goes on in creation is consistent with love - much of it doesn't seem that way at all. But it is important, as I understand it, that these inconsistent features not be associated with God, but rather with hell.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

This is different than the idea that justice must be satisfied, because it is not clear how this penal "justice" is consistent with love. I'm not saying that it is clear how everything that goes on in creation is consistent with love - much of it doesn't seem that way at all. But it is important, as I understand it, that these inconsistent features not be associated with God, but rather with hell.

I suppose this is where we differ. I can see the logic of your argument but it surely leads to a form of dualism rejected by traditional Christianity - i.e. that evil is some kind of power or force which is an 'opposite' to God and outside of his control. It was this kind of dualism that was prevalent in gnostic thought and rejected by the early church councils.

So, we've been here before (thanks JJ [Biased] ) but it does remind you that essentially these debates turn crucially on theodicy - how do we explain evil? CV and PSA seem to have very different answers here.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I can see the logic of your argument but it surely leads to a form of dualism rejected by traditional Christianity - i.e. that evil is some kind of power or force which is an 'opposite' to God and outside of his control.

Evil is not a power except in the sense that it is the power of darkness, as Jesus says.

Evil is not outside the control of God. God permits evil to exist for the sake of a higher good, which is that humanity will freely choose good over evil. So God does not "wield" evil in the sense of directing it. Rather, He permits it to exist because the alternative is not as good, and therefore not as consistent with the divine will, or the divine love.

This is no kind of dualism. God is the only true force.

I would compare it to Durch Elm Disease. To the elms of the world, this disease is evil itself, a very powerful force. From their point of view, goodness is locked in a titanic struggle with this force. They see these two giant forces vying for control of the universe.

But from our point of view this disease is a pesky irritant, harmful to nothing except elm trees. The titanic struggle exists only from the point of view of the elms.

The same is true of the human struggle with evil. The power of evil is miniscule, and exists almost purely in human minds. It is in no way a threat to God, it is just a disease that afflicts humans. It is not a force. There is no dualism.

The whole point of the Incarnation is to help people with this disease, or to take away its power in human minds. The struggle is not really a struggle with evil, but a struggle to keep it from controlling us.

So how does PSA place evil within God's control? [Confused]

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
[QUOTE] As I see it, He IS the laws, and He is not constrained by them, He simply acts by means of them.

The problem here is that the Bible sees God's law as reflective of his very nature. He cannot stand apart from his laws without internal inconsistency which would be a form of schizophrenia. His acting by means of them logically means he must be constrained by them,or am I missing something?

quote:
His fundamental purpose springs from the fact that He is love itself, and the laws spring from the same source. They are the means by which love operates for the long term benefit of creation, which He loves. His ultimate purpose is to bring creation, especially humanity, into the happy state that is called heaven, or heaven on earth.
Just how do you define love then? God's love in the Bible is tough love surely. He acts in such a way as to divide his followers from his supporters. The harmony you seem to see as ideal is not often seen in scripture. Rather what we see as a black and whiteness, a line in the sand, a moral proclamation that is in many ways justified only by the assertion that 'this' in each context is God's word, backed by his power and justified by his unerring sense of good and evil measured by his personality. Take Elisha's calling down fire from heaven on the troops sent to bring him in. This was God's man doing God's will in his age. What sort of love is demonstrated? Now you will no doubt suggest that Jesus wouldn't have done this. Well, no, not the Jesus of the gospels, but the Jesus of Revelation 1-3 is a more dangerous Jesus. How do you fancy having your candlestick removed for your backsliding ways? The question is, is he the same Jesus? If not, then you are guilty of remodelling him into the image of the God you want him to be. In other words seeing only one aspect of his revelation of himself and thereby making him into a being of your own desire rather than the being set forth in the Bible.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamat - if we're talking about bringing fire down on people, then I don't see any love there at all, either tough or otherwise, without putting more semantic stress on the word "love" than it can reasonably be asked to bear, as Sir Humphrey would say.

But fortunately, the Jesus I believe in (most of the time, stumblingly) told His disciples not only not to call fire down from heaven, as Elisha did, but also that their desire to do so showed they did not know what spirit they belonged to. I hope, that as we learn the spirit we do belong to, we will abandon seeing vengeance, death and destruction as being the outworkings of God's love.

To be honest, I read your last post as "You think Jesus is loving, but actually He can be a real bastard and you need to get used to that."

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
As I see it, He IS the laws, and He is not constrained by them, He simply acts by means of them.

The problem here is that the Bible sees God's law as reflective of his very nature. He cannot stand apart from his laws without internal inconsistency which would be a form of schizophrenia. His acting by means of them logically means he must be constrained by them,or am I missing something?
I think that what you are missing is the fact that God only does what He wishes to do. He is not constrained by the laws, He acts by means of them because they ARE Him, or are the extension of His will. He desires the long term benefit of humanity, and the laws are the means by which He brings this about. So He is not constrained, He does what He does because He wants to.

So, yes, God's law is reflective of His very nature. He cannot stand apart from His laws without internal inconsistency which would be a form of schizophrenia.
quote:
Just how do you define love then?

One way of saying it is that love is life. Without love there is no life, and this is what God wishes to give to His creation.

Another way of saying it is that love has three qualities, as I have mentioned before:
  • 1. Love requires an object that is not itself.
  • 2. Love desires to make the object of its love happy.
  • 3. Love desires to be joined freely with what is loved.
Acting from love is therefore doing whatever is required to fulfil these conditions.

Another way to put it is in this quote that is often read in my church:
quote:
The essence of love is not to love self, but to love others and through love to be joined with them. It is also the essence of love to be loved by others, for this is how this joining is achieved.

Love consists in willing what one has to be another's, and in feeling the other's delight as delight within oneself. That is what it is to love. In contrast, to feel one's own delight in another, and not the other's delight within oneself, is not to love; for this is loving self, whereas the first is loving the neighbor.

This is a description of human love, but the divine love doesn't really operate differently. Everything that God does is for the long term benefit of humanity in particular, and creation in general.
quote:
God's love in the Bible is tough love surely. He acts in such a way as to divide his followers from his supporters. The harmony you seem to see as ideal is not often seen in scripture.

I don't disagree. Acting to promote someone's long term welfare does not always look loving in the short term.

This is clearly illustrated in the Bible, so, yes, it doesn't always look like harmony.
quote:
Take Elisha's calling down fire from heaven on the troops sent to bring him in. This was God's man doing God's will in his age. What sort of love is demonstrated? Now you will no doubt suggest that Jesus wouldn't have done this. Well, no, not the Jesus of the gospels, but the Jesus of Revelation 1-3 is a more dangerous Jesus.

Yes, Elijah did that. Then when the disciples wanted to do the same thing Jesus reprimanded them:
quote:
Luke 9:53 But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to Jerusalem. 54 And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?”
55 But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of.

So Jesus would not do that, and yet His parables often contain descriptions of justice meted out as violent retribution. The same is true, as you note, of Jesus in Revelation. How do we explain the inconsistency?

The idea is simple. Here is an explanation as it is given in my church:
quote:
Jehovah God or the Lord never curses anyone, is never angry with anyone, never leads anyone into temptation, and never punishes, let alone curses anybody. It is the devil's crew who do such things. Such things cannot possibly come from the fountain of mercy, peace, and goodness.

The reason why here and elsewhere in the Word it is said that Jehovah God not only turns His face away, is angry, punishes, and tempts, but also slays and even curses, is that people may believe that the Lord rules over and disposes every single thing in the whole world, including evil itself, punishments, and temptations.

And after people have grasped this very general concept, they may then learn in what ways He rules and disposes, and how He converts into good the evil inherent in punishment and the evil inherent in temptation.

In teaching and learning the Word very general concepts have to come first; and therefore the sense of the letter is full of such general concepts.

So God presents Himself in the Bible in a way that ordinary people can understand. But when people study and move to a more sophisticated grasp of what the Bible teaches, these are the things that need to be reconciled.
quote:
The question is, is he the same Jesus? If not, then you are guilty of remodelling him into the image of the God you want him to be. In other words seeing only one aspect of his revelation of himself and thereby making him into a being of your own desire rather than the being set forth in the Bible.

Yes, they are the same Jesus. The idea is to look for the over-arching biblical truths, and then interpret individual passages in their light. It is not remaking God into a being of our own desire, but rather looking for the consistencies within the biblical presentation. If you aren't capable of doing this the Bible becomes hopelessly self-contradictory. But if you believe that the Bible really is God's Word then you have to find a way to reconcile it.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

If Freddy and I virtually agree, it must be right.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

That's right. And I didn't even read Karl's answer before I wrote mine. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
That's right. And I didn't even read Karl's answer before I wrote mine. [Paranoid]

Well in that case,The mouths of two or three witnesses have spoken. I must stand corrected. [Big Grin] Happy Christmas.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Happy Christmas Jamat, Johnny, and everyone! [Angel]

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Happy Christmas Jamat, Johnny, and everyone! [Angel]

Yep, Santa has already been here (Oz)... in his rusty, holden Ute!
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back, what was the question?

Happy Christmas to all on the new calendar.

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump?

The Thread that Dare Not Speak Its Name has a lot that I appreciated first time round in terms of the arguments being put forth now in the "Christ, PSA, and Hell" thread. I don't want to steal Karl's ideas and I don't know the etiquette of quoting other folks across threads, but I thought this:

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
if we're talking about bringing fire down on people, then I don't see any love there at all, either tough or otherwise, without putting more semantic stress on the word "love" than it can reasonably be asked to bear, as Sir Humphrey would say.

But fortunately, the Jesus I believe in (most of the time, stumblingly) told His disciples not only not to call fire down from heaven, as Elisha did, but also that their desire to do so showed they did not know what spirit they belonged to. I hope, that as we learn the spirit we do belong to, we will abandon seeing vengeance, death and destruction as being the outworkings of God's love.

was an especially good bit of food for thought.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Makepiece
Shipmate
# 10454

- Posted      Profile for Makepiece   Email Makepiece   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is different than the idea that justice must be satisfied, because it is not clear how this penal "justice" is consistent with love. [/QB]

It seems from the Bible that there is a spiritual war going on amongst the angels that we don't understand. Satan appears to be battling against God. God is love but Satan hates God and has chosen God as his enemy. As far as I can see God has been very patient with evil and tried to show evil people the error of their ways so that they will turn from sin. We are taught that God sent prophet after prophet but the people would not listen so eventually he sent his son because he thought they would listen to him. We have seen however that although the pharisees saw the love of God revealed in his son they rejected him. Why? They didn't want to love and therefore they didn't want to be loved. Before his crucifixion Jesus said 'shall I not drink from the cup of suffering my father has given me?' Why would God give his own son suffering? In my view it's because he loved the world so much that despite its evil he was willing to suffer in an attempt to convince evil to turn from it's hateful ways to love. It is not God's punishment which is stubborn it is the evil that will not turn in the face of such love. God's message is clear Satan doesn't love you but I do turn to me. Yet many of the pharisees said no we will join your enemies, we choose to be your enemy. So Jesus wept for Jerusalem, but ultimately God must draw the line somewhere and say hate will not rule and must be shown to be wrong. He does not punish because he hates but because he will not allow hate to continue forever. Yet he has persevered with those who hate to the point of offering to take their punishment for them and in doing so demonstrating his great love. Is that not right?

[ 10. February 2008, 21:13: Message edited by: Makepiece ]

--------------------
Don't ask for whom the bell tolls...

Posts: 938 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
Bump?

The Thread that Dare Not Speak Its Name has a lot that I appreciated first time round in terms of the arguments being put forth now in the "Christ, PSA, and Hell" thread. I don't want to steal Karl's ideas and I don't know the etiquette of quoting other folks across threads, but I thought this:

quote:
if we're talking about bringing fire down on people, then I don't see any love there at all, either tough or otherwise, without putting more semantic stress on the word "love" than it can reasonably be asked to bear, as Sir Humphrey would say.

was an especially good bit of food for thought.
What have you done? [Eek!]

I'm not sure (obviously [Roll Eyes] ) that it is as simple as Karl makes out.

The reference he makes to the rebuke over the disciples wanting to rebuke a Samaritan village comes in Luke 9. In the very next chapter, just a few verses later, Jesus sends out the 72. There he speaks a lot about the terrible judgment to come (on Korazin and Bethsaida for example).

How do we reconcile these passages? After all they are both the words of Jesus.

IMHO it makes much more sense of the text if the issue is delayed judgement. In Luke 9 the disciples were wanting present personal revenge. Jesus wants us to love our enemies so he rebukes them for that. Luke 10, OTOH, is about God's future judgment. Let's not conflate the two issues.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Makepiece:
He does not punish because he hates but because he will not allow hate to continue forever. Yet he has persevered with those who hate to the point of offering to take their punishment for them and in doing so demonstrating his great love. Is that not right?

No that's not right, in my opinion. Wouldn't it be easier just to say that hate is self-destructive, and so it is self-punishing. It is just a matter of exposing its real nature - which Jesus did, both in His life and in how He died. The difficulty is that hate and evil are deeply deceitful, so it takes a very long time for it to be fully exposed.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

All that's left now is for you to actually agree. [Biased]
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
quote:

All that's left now is for you to actually agree. [Biased]
We were actually agreeing about the loving nature of God. The point being that anything in the Bible that looks different than that needs explaining.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Yes.

I've been thinking about this whole vexed question, prompted also by some other threads there have been lately. I came to a sort of staging post, as one so often does, in the bath the other night.

Suppose I thought I knew someone really well. Mrs Backslider perhaps. Suppose I knew her to be faithful and honest.

Then someone tells me that actually she's shagging the bloke next door.

Do I believe them? Well, suppose I'm convinced that she is indeed faithful and honest. Then, I can do one of two things. Believe them, and redefine "faithful and honest" to include shagging the bloke next door behind my back, or not believe them, and maintain some meaning to the terms "faithful and honest".

I feel, often, that some evangelicals are asking me to take the first line. To believe that God is indeed good, loving, forgiving and merciful, but to redefine them to include all sorts of things that one would not call good, loving, forgiving or merciful. Just as I would find redefining "honest and faithful" to include "shagging the bloke next door behind my back" bizarre and perverse, so I find what I feel like I'm being asked to do with regard to God.

[ 12. February 2008, 15:05: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Very nice comparison, Karl.

I don't think that it is right to redefine "loving God" in a way that includes being satisfied by punishments, much less slaughtering large populations. There is no question that people get punished, and even slaughtered, but it's not God's love that makes it happen.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

Good comparison Karl - I do think it strikes at the heart of the matter.

Obviously I would have used other analogies, but the point is well made.

It begs another question though - how do we define what 'loving' is?

ISTM that you are coming to Christianity with an a priori assumption of a definition and then filtering the scriptures accordingly.

Now I concede that all of us do this to some degree, but at what point do we actually jettison a concept of 'revelation' altogether? At what point do we admit that God is entirely of our own making and any adherence to the scriptures and Christian tradition is merely a pretence? (In which case, let's all join Madge in his attempt to construct an atheistic morality. [Biased] )

(PS My guess is that you'll say that Jesus defines what love is like ... but, as I have repeatedly pointed out, Jesus has plenty to say about God's judgment.)

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anthropomorphism is a danger, granted. But I submit to you that theopromorphism presents us with an equal, if not more serious, danger. Yes, humans get angry. But human anger is not like God's anger. Likewise, God gets angry but God's anger is not like human anger.

Why in this conversation do we have to accept an anthropocentric and therefore sinful definition of anger as definitive to the argument? Is it not possible that there is an incomprehensiblly theocentric conception of 'anger' that is so holy that it is beyond our comprehension?

[ 12. February 2008, 23:00: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Johnny/Numpty - you are confirming what I said - inviting me to redefine the adjectives used to describe God until they bear little semantic relationship to any other use of them. There seems little point in describing God as "loving" if it means something completely different to what "loving" means in any other context. This is exactly parallel to asking me to redefine "faithful" so that I can reconcile it with shagging the bloke next door.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Meant to add:

If this creates an unresolvable tension with revelation through Scripture, as Johnny suggests, then one of two things can happen:

1) We accept that God is as a literal and face value reading of some of the Scriptures in question suggest, but then have to abandon some of the adjectives which describe God. Unfortunately, they're Scriptural too. Do I reject "God is merciful and just", or do I reject "God ordered the slaughter of entire peoples, including their babes in arms"? If I take the Numpty line, and say that "God is loving, but it means something completely different" to reconcile this problem, and accept God The Homicidal Maniac, then I resolve one problem and create another - an invitation to a love relationship with a completely unlovable and frankly repulsive supreme being.

2) We say that the revelation through Scripture is flawed.

The way some Con evos talk you'd think I'd never thought through their solutions [Roll Eyes] Perhaps they just can't really "bellyfeel" that these solutions just do not convince me.

[ 13. February 2008, 08:55: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if your analogy can be resolved using hats Karl.

God IS loving, merciful, etc. He is these in a more-or-less normal sense of the word. Wearing his father hat, he wants to forgive and accept the whole of humanity.

But God also wears a Judge hat. It is not that when he is wearing this hat, he is not loving. The loving judge metes out an appropriate punishment. That is, his love as a judge takes a different expression to his love as a father.

I agree that you can level the charge against me that I run the risk of distorting the normal definition of love. But something that struck me on the other thread is that there is also a risk of distorting the normal definition of justice. Most Christians who do not subscribe to PSA would agree that God is just. Yet several times on the other thread folk commented along the lines that 'God's justice is not like ours, you are making his justice too anthropocentric.'

The way through this dilemma it seems to me is to note that Christian revelation and tradition think of God as both loving and just and that whilst there is scope for human analogy, neither entirely fit in nice neat human boxes.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I don't think I have a problem per se with God handing out just punishments, except inasmuch that Christianity is based on the premise of forgiveness, and if I want God to forgive me (which I rather do), then I also have to want Him to forgive everyone else, or I'm setting myself up as a special case, and I don't see why I should be.

That aside, that's a very different issue from what's giving me problems here. The Joshua slaughters cannot be interpreted as just; how can it be just to slaughter babes in arms? It isn't; it's monstrous. It's this sort of thing which is more of a problem, as is the Ko-Ko God - "I've got a little list" - and if you're on it, you'll get in. If you're not, then there's no hope for you and you're going to fry.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Johnny/Numpty - you are confirming what I said - inviting me to redefine the adjectives used to describe God until they bear little semantic relationship to any other use of them. There seems little point in describing God as "loving" if it means something completely different to what "loving" means in any other context. This is exactly parallel to asking me to redefine "faithful" so that I can reconcile it with shagging the bloke next door.

Thank you for sticking with this, Karl.

To my mind, the way out of seeming to ignore/abandon Scripture on this is to realize how problematic a literalistic interpretation is.

Instead, Scripture is designed so that it is both literally meaningful and in many places figurative at the same time. Jesus has no trouble telling parables in which the "master" or "king" destroys people who fail to come to his banquet, but in real life when the apostles want to call down fire from heaven He reproves them. Both stories are meaningful, and it requires little thought to realize that the strong statements in Jesus' stories are meant for effect, not as literal descriptions of justice.

The usual response that I get to this idea is "how do you tell the difference between the literal and the figurative?" But I don't think that it is that difficult to discern. One clue, as Karl points out, is to stick with the normal semantic relationships of words and actions. A loving God cannot slaughter and remain loving in the normal meaning of the word. Nor can He be full of wrath against the human race, nor can He be satisfied by the death of His son.

The biblical descriptions of these things are, in my opinion, simply anthropomorphic explanations of a deeper reality that is harder to explain - especially to ancient, poorly educated, people. Good does not punish, evil does. If we sin, God does not punish us, the sin itself punishes us. God did not order the slaughter of the people of Canaan, this is what the sinful nature of the people of the time understood Him to desire. Yet the biblical descriptions can nevertheless serve a good purpose and teach a good message - that evil must be overcome and eradicated.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

Come on Karl of all words in the English language 'loving' is the most elastic. It can mean a million and one things in different contexts. This is not a issue peculiar to evangelicals - 'how do you define love?' is one of the fundamental questions of humanity.

You have to prove your definition of love as much as any conservative does. I've heard people describe drunken, casual sexual encounters as 'making love' - would you agree with the use of the word there? If not, on what grounds?

quote:
2) We say that the revelation through Scripture is flawed.

The way some Con evos talk you'd think I'd never thought through their solutions Perhaps they just can't really "bellyfeel" that these solutions just do not convince me.

Okay, but if we say that revelation is flawed, how do we tell which bits are?

I hear how frustrating you find con evos (don't forget that I have to mix with them all the time [Roll Eyes] ) - as long as you realise that it is exactly the same in reverse ... these issues are hardly new to us as well and we don't 'get' the way you deal with them either.

quote:
To my mind, the way out of seeming to ignore/abandon Scripture on this is to realize how problematic a literalistic interpretation is.

I'm not hearing anyone suggest that we want such an interpretation.

As Karl rightly points out these are deep and painful issues. There are no easy or simplistic answers here.

I respect Karl's integrity and so know he will disagree (usually very eloquently too [Biased] ) but I think that the liberal way out is the easy one... it comes across (even if not intended as such) as if we can just 're-write' the bits we don't like. I'd prefer the Prometheon ( [Razz] ) task of continuing to wrestle.

Shipmate
# 76

Now, Johnny, the funny thing is I see the Con Evo way "accept God on His own terms" as the easy way, submission, and insisting that one cannot simply re-write "love" (it may have a lot of meanings, but equally there are wide swathes of meaning it does not have, like genocide and draconian punishment) but rather have to struggle with it (as I am) as being the "wrestling" way. I was only thinking this on the way home here; if I may be so bold, the Con Evo way looks like Islam - submission, whereas what I'm trying to do is Israel - wrestling with God. If Abraham could tell God what a good and just God can and can't do, so can I.

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That aside, that's a very different issue from what's giving me problems here. The Joshua slaughters cannot be interpreted as just; how can it be just to slaughter babes in arms?

Oh, ok. You're quite right that that's a different point, and I entirely agree with you. I tend towards quite a strong notion of the progressivity of revelation in the Bible so I don't have any problem with saying that that was not just, in the light of what we know about the justice of God in Christ. I'm aware that gives me a whole host of other problems, but I prefer them to that of thinking that God really commanded the slaughter of such innocents (in the New Testament, it's Herod who does that).

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  67  68  69 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016