homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not you indeed, who was it who failed to google and just assumed (making an ass of me but not you)? [Snigger]

That'll teach me. English scholar indeed! [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Razz]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, me again. We went back in to check the power supply but for whatever reason, Mr. Lamb took another whack at the power switch issue. He shorted out two of the pins it plugs into on the motherboard (have I said that correctly?) with the result that the fan started running and the computer made the booting up sound. Does this tell us anything?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Dang we're freaks here. God only knows how, but after Mr. Lamb had been messing around shorting those pins ten or twelve times, it decided to boot and STAY booted. And what's more, allow us to turn it off and ON again.

I am currently rubbing my eyes in disbelief and doing a full backup.

In the "here's a nuisance" category, the keyboard has now died.

d'ye think we need an exorcism?

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, sometimes they go like that. One of our clients had a machine where every single component tested out fine when done with full soak tests, but periodically the whole thing would refuse to work. Solution was to take each bit out and plug it back in firmly. Obviously something was building up/crudding up somewhere, and only the re-seat sorted it, but pinning down exactly what proved impossible.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a problem and I haven't read through this entire long-ass thread to see if anyone else has had this problem... so, forgive me if this is a common problem and it's been addressed before!

I have an iMac G5. It was used when I bought it and used from the person before that too but in really good shape. However, about a year ago it started to develop weird horizontal and vertical lines on the screen. These are lines that flicker on and off and then some of them stay and some of them just come and go whenever they feel like it. Someone at the Apple store said that since my computer was bought used I had no warranty for it and that they could look at it but I'd have to pack it up and haul it in to the store. I don't want to do that as I don't drive and would have to get someone to give me a ride etc., etc., etc.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is an LCD screen, right? If so, I would think it is the video card.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, this appears to be a common problem with some iMac G5s. Try Googling iMac G5 screen lines - or similar.

It is specifically known to affect machines with certain serial numbers, and Apple did run an extended warranty repair scheme. I don't know whether it is still active.

Some people with politeness, persistence and good research appear to have persuaded their local Genius Bar to repair free of charge, many have been told that it will cost them $500+.

I have seen one post where someone identified the problem as faulty capacitors and replaced them, but this is a level of technical ability well beyond me

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The genius bar is maddeningly random in what they will do.worth a try though.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memory.

Yesterday, Photoshop seized up on me - opened, but then went into Not Responding. It's OK today. No point asking Adobe, since it's Elements 8 and they're on to 10.

However, it's caused me to look at my memory, since the application is a massive memory-hog. At startup, the profile is thusly -

Physical Memory
Total 4061
Cached 2004
Available 2654
Free 727

Kernel Memory
Paged 159
Nonpaged 56

With PS open, the Free physical memory halves (the other parameters remaining in roughly the same ballpark). Does this seem to you still adequate for running PS + Firefox (and the usual shedload of background processes)?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I run photoshop on only 3 gigs. I generally am also running Firefox with, and I kid you not, 15 to 20 tabs open; iTunes and windows explorer. I am often running processing filters while playing music and updating apps. iTunes sometimes freaks out, but PS rarely.
Two things that may help..
1. % memory photoshop uses can be set in photoshop's preferences.
2. Set PS to NOT export clipboard upon closing.
3. (three things that might help) clear your firefox cache and clean up your temp files.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm curious about the recent media kerfuffle about the Blackberry outage. Particularly the plethora of blog post comments where people say they're fed up of Blackberry and they might get an iPhone or Android phone instead.

What I'm wondering is - what exactly were Blackberry phones able and not able to do during the outage?

The idea that it was completely impossible to use email or web browsing on Blackberry phones during the outage strikes me as a bit far fetched. It seems to me that quite a lot of the basic functionality of Blackberry phones that you find in pretty much any phone these days was unaffected by the outage; you could still make phone calls, send SMS messages, play MP3's off your microSD cards, and take photos. And you could still install silly ringtones.

It seems that the way that the Blackberry Internet web browser operates is that it uses Blackberry's server infrastructure to partially render and compress HTML web pages, thereby minimising the processing load on end-user Blackberry devices - although, in addition to this, it also encrypts the connection between the end-user Blackberry devices and the central Blackberry servers. That's why the Blackberry Internet web browser won't work if Blackberry's server infrastructure falls over.

However, you'd have thought that the WAP browser would be unaffected - although I realise that WAP is a dying protocol.

But I think Blackberry phones can also run Java ME apps. If that's right, then you'd be able to use other Java browsers on your Blackberry phone, such as Bitsream Bolt, UC, and Opera Mini. And I guess these browsers would have been unaffected by the Blackberry central server outage. Here's a YouTube video from a few years ago that shows a simple comparison of the performance of the Blackberry browser with the BOLT browser - which I suspect would have continued to work during the outage, although, unlike the Blackberry Internet browser, the data transfer between your phone and their central servers is not encrypted.

But I don't know. I'm only guessing. So can anyone confirm what Blackberry phones were and weren't able to do during the outage?

Reason I mention it is because the people who say they're now going to give up their Blackberries, seem to be cutting off their noses to spite their faces. I can't see that any of these other phones can do anything that the Blackberry phone can't do. Even during outages like the one that happened earlier this week. Throwing away your Blackberry phone because the web browser doesn't work, strikes me as a bit like throwing away your car because the sat-nav doesn't work. But I could be wrong. Thanks.

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
... 15 to 20 tabs open ...

Wimp! I've only got twelve Firefox browser tabs open right now but there are also seven in Opera and nine in Chrome.

Four SSH sessions in Putty, seven files in a text editor (unusually low, I usually have more), two email messages, two Windows command lines, itunes, Windows Explorer and a couple of local applications...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessie Phillips:
But I think Blackberry phones can also run Java ME apps. If that's right, then you'd be able to use other Java browsers on your Blackberry phone

Perhaps, but how are you going to download them if you can't get onto the internet!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
... 15 to 20 tabs open ...

Wimp! I've only got twelve Firefox browser tabs open right now but there are also seven in Opera and nine in Chrome.

Four SSH sessions in Putty, seven files in a text editor (unusually low, I usually have more), two email messages, two Windows command lines, itunes, Windows Explorer and a couple of local applications...

Sissy, I did not wish to brag, but I have open...( cue four Yorkshiremen homage)

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know what to do when locked out of Facebook by their request to perform a security check? Sorry if this seems a bit of an onerous story, but I am stuck for a solution.

I received an obvious spam Email on my Instant Messenger account from a family member in another province.
Concerned that his account may have been hacked and used to deliver spam, I tried to reach him by telephone, without success; he works long hours, however.
Knowing that he checks his Facebook fairly often throughout the day, I copied the spam Email and sent it as a message to his Facebook account.
The instant I hit send, my Facebook page disappeared, and a Facebook screen came up asking for a security check; I was asked to provide a cell phone number, to which Facebook would text a code, then enter that code on the screen, and my account would re-open.

I do not have a cell phone, so they can not text me, and there seems to be no way to contact Facebook directly; their Help section provides answers to why they do these things, but no way to reach them and let them know that I can't perform their security check without a cell phone.
If anyone is still reading after all this, can you suggest a way to get my Facebook account re-opened?

[ 19. October 2011, 12:17: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid that I don't think there is a way out other than asking someone else to allow you to give their phone number so that they can pass the code on to you.

I know a number of people who have fallen foul of this (not neccesarily because they don't have mobile phones, but because they aren't prepared to give the number to FB), and as far as I can tell there is no way around it. If you do find one, please let me know!

From experience the only way you can get anything other than a useless automated response from Facebook 'Customer Service' is by using one of a number of buzzwords - stalker, under-age, that sort of thing - and I'm sure that if you use them inappropriately you'll get blacklisted for good.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess a cheap mobile with a prepay arrangement would be sufficient for this. I'm thinking of using my old one, which is just that, for similar purposes, when I don't want to give out my 'new' mobile number.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone running Firefox and Zone Alarm?

FF keeps nagging me to take the upgrade, but also flags that it is incompatible with Zone Alarm. But sometimes you get warnings, install anyway, and it comes back Fine, sorted. But I don't want to take the risk of disabling my security software.

However, FF is behaving oddly at startup - very slow, and, if you check on Task Manager, apparently grabbing 100% of CPU. I may move to Safari.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I've an iPad time machine it appears, since updating to iOS 5. While on the Ship, I will hit the back arrow and be directed to a page several days old. Within the same forum, but definitely not the last page I was on.
Anyone else?

That and Safari randomly crashes.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Is anyone running Firefox and Zone Alarm?

I have Firefox 7.0.1 and Zonealarm Firewall. I didn't receive any warning when updating, didn't close Zonealarm down, and everything is running fine.

Although, having said that, Firefox has crashed a few times in the past couple of weeks - maybe once every three days. I suspect that has more to do with a particular Facebook app rather than Zonealarm though.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, cop this one.

I was rereading a Word document and hit some unintended key combination. The result of this was that I lost control of Word and my computer began emitting a series of beeps that sounded like Morse code (not the kind of beep you can get on startup from your tower but a program-generated beep of some kind).

Everything else continued to work fine. I tried hitting Esc to no avail. I closed down everything else and the beeps continued. Eventually I went into task manager (which reported Word as running properly and didn't show anything else untoward) and clicked to force Word to close. When I did, I got the "Word is not responding" prompt, pressed "cancel" (in the hope of not losing everything since the last auto-save)... and got rid of the beeps and regained control of the program.

So what happened there?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a guess, but could you have somehow filled the keyboard buffer (or convinced Word you had, at any rate)? Either that or got Word locked into a continual end/start of document situation (sticky PgDn key, Scroll Lock on and something weird etc. etc.).

As I say, speculation rather than definitive!

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My impression was that it wasn't that kind of noise. If I'd done that I would have expected incessant Windows-type dings. This really did sound like it was reading my document in Morse or something. Probably just a software crash with a weird result.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps one of the accessiblity options? Beep for every keystroke, for visually impaired users? That or as you say, "a software crash with a weird result".

[ 01. November 2011, 19:35: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you hold down the shift key for 8 seconds or longer it turns on filter keys and makes that sound. Maybe it was that.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pleaes could anyone help me get my cursor keys to work, and the Pg Down and Pg Up, and the scrolling feature on my touchpad....... I have tried re-installing the driver. Faffed about with num lock and scroll lock, funtion key, etc, but nada.

It is driving me mad and giving me RSI having to manually go to the right hand side of the screen and although this is a nice shiny new-to-me laptop, I miss the old one where all the things worked how I wanted.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ61 if that helps....

Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

You can find the pdf-manual for your laptop here here (NOTE: Link opens to pdf file!).

On page 13, there is a picture with description of the touchpad. Apparently, there's a button at the top of the touchpad that enables/disables it.

They also suggest to go to --> Start --> Control panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Mouse, if you want to change settings.

Hope that at least partially answers some of your questions?

--------------------

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Welsey, I hadn't succeeded in finding that .pdf

I do have the touchpad enabled, but the scroll part doesn't work. It did work, when my mother had this laptop, but not now. I will keep trying and googling.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK

Someone with more basic no how than me. Do I need a new network cable to attach my computer to the router?

Today when I switched on my desk computer it did not find the router. On rebooting it did then it became disconnected from the router. Windows on computer insisted it was a cable problem but when I put in another possibly working cable that did not sort it. However when I switched the computer off and on again that did.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

To Laxton's superba:

Have you done any software or system updates lately? If so, it might be worth trying to do a system restore (look in Control Panel). This will undo any software updates after the most recent system restore, but not affect your documents and so on.

Mrs Eutychus' Dell touchpad is very susceptible to crashing at the slightest provocation. Dell have replaced the touchpad and the motherboard, but neither of those was the problem. Doing a system restore has sorted it out every time though, with no other problems having emerged.

[ 03. November 2011, 21:47: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a geek! I want to put up a phpBB forum on my website. The site is completely blank at the moment. I want to set it to forums.sitename.com, and I also want to point my Blogger.com blog to blog.sitename.com.

If you're willing to teach me how, would you mind PMing me? Or if you'd be willing to do the work, would you also PM me so we can work out details?

Thanks!

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Jengie: Windows reporting a cable problem just means that it doesn't detect the cable being present. Unless you're really harsh on your cable, normally it's a misleading message, and the problem is somewhere more fundamental [Frown]

Swap the cable for one that you know is good (or take the suspect cable somewhere else and use it to see if it's OK). Chances are the actual problem lies either in the router (or more specifically, the switch on the router), or the network port (NIC) in the PC.

If you're not in a position to blag a cable, PM me a postal address and I can send you one (a rough idea of required length would help) but IME it won't be the cable, it'll be either a 'system' issue or a dying socket at one end of the link. Which may or may not be a total PITA.

If the router has multiple ports, try switching to a different one (although on a 4-port switch they'll probably all fritz at once). If the PC is a laptop, cart it to a friend's and try it there. Basically, it's an elimination game ...

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Snags.

That confirms what I suspected. I had swapped the cable with another that I am pretty sure was working. It was plugged in between another PC and the router but had not been used for awhile.

Early indications suggest computer (under guarantee so if it is I will need to contact the suppliers), switching port did not fix, only turning computer on and off did. Another box also attached to the router showed no sign of difficulties. However router had been playing up all day before it so I am not sure.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

I found yet another driver and installed it, and now the touchpad scrolling works. No joy with Pg Down and the cursors, but I can live with that now. Thanks for all your suggestions!
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firefox has suddenly stopped remembering what I have previously filled into text boxes; - in the past clicking on a empty box would bring up text strings that had been entered earlier, then I could select the relevant one. I used this as a lazy way to remember my log on name on various sites (including the Church website, for which I am webmaster, so it was rather embarrassing just now when I went to update it and couldn't remember my login details).

How can I get it back to how it used to work? Running Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows XP.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone recommend a free program that will convert Word .doc files to pdf format? I know there are plenty out there, but a recommendation from someone who has used and is happy with one would be good.

I've just run across a site that requires me to upload my CV and covering letter as a pdf (trust me, cross-pondians, this is unusual in the UK!)...

Thanks!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cute PDF - free version is fine for any normal use.

Installs as a virtual printer, so any printing application can create a pdf.

It will probably need to install a subsidiary app (which converts postscript) but it's all safe - no toolbars, malware, or other nastties.

HTH

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I use pdf Creator, which is free and which I like a lot.

BTW, from within the free OpenOffice.org software you can directly turn into pdfs any documents you made. It's built-in, and very handy.

[ 05. November 2011, 13:53: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The latest downloads of PDF Creator are full of bloatware [Frown]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The latest downloads of PDF Creator are full of bloatware [Frown]

Ooops, sorry, mate. I'm using version 0.9.3. This page on sourceforge has some comments of current version users, who indeed are all but pleased.

When I check the old update function, it does say I've got the latest version. So better ---> DO NOT USE any recent versions. Apologies.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A big +1 to Morlader's suggestion of CutePDF. Any application that can print can print to CutePDF which then creates the output as a PDF. Office, Notepad, web browsers, photo software, etc.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Muchly appreciated, folks - Cute PDF has been installed and used!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ack! I think I have a virus. All of a sudden my computer is asking for passwords for everything. For some avast site, for Facebook, for Skype -- anything that has anything to do with the outside world, it's asking for a password for. This is completely new, and I've never seen the particular dialog box it pops up (it's the same pop-up dialog for everything). Most suspicious!

I turned the computer off by pulling the battery (I'm told this can prevent some passwords from logding into your operating system files), but it still is happening after the reboot.

I tried googling to find a virus that does this but without avail. I'm running an avast full system scan as we speak (typing this from a different computer because I'm afraid to try to log into anything with mine!).

Anybody experienced this?

[ 08. November 2011, 15:04: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Assuming it's not an issue with your Internet Provider, it sure sounds like a virus to me. Hope the scan gets it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I've not experienced that. Avast offers an option to scan as the system is booting. There are some viruses that can hide if the OS is already fully loaded. I would also run an anti-malware such as Spyware Doctor or Malwarebytes.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Composite pdfs:

I'm trying to keep the file size of a pdf as few bytes as possible to sneak past an inbound mail filter. That's why I don't want to scan the whole shebang into one pdf.

I've got a couple of spreadsheets which I can save as pdfs using the OpenOffice save as pdf option.

But then, I've got several spreadsheets for which I don't have the source, so I have to scan them rather than save them as pdfs.

Is it possible to compose these several pdfs to make a single pdf?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

I'm trying to keep the file size of a pdf as few bytes as possible

You probably already know this but:

- avoid any graphics
- if you must have graphics png is better than jpg which is better than bitmap (which is a disaster)
- avoid Word but if you have to use it save your document using "save as" to a new filename after the final edit, then close Word, then re-open it again.
- use few fonts and only use common typefaces (though there is still no excuse for Arial and less than no excuse for Comic Sucks)

quote:

... I've got several spreadsheets for which I don't have the source,...

Do you mean that all you have are paper printouts?

OCR can help reduce the filesize dramatically, but there might be a lot of tedious proofreading.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, ken. Sorry to trouble you. I withdraw my question.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the virus went away after I did the scan. Weird.

Anyway now I have a new problem. Microsoft, sweethearts that they are, pushed a bunch of security updates on me last night. And now I can't print. Does anybody know if this is a known problem, and if there is a workaround?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
help me out, beloved geeks.

The Boy (16) is a big fan of World of Warcraft, and plays it on his dying 2 year old PC. Various hardware and software issues have made it pretty obvious we need to get him a new laptop.

He is asking for something called Alienware, which has all the gadgets and gizmos that game freaks want. However, for the price, I lean more towards getting him a mac (the rest of us have macs) because the damn things just last longer and are less susceptible to viri, etc. The Boy is concerned, however, that he will not be able to play his beloved games (in particular, WoW) on a mac.

my priorities, of course, include more of the ability to do research and write papers for homework type stuff. He is getting into video production at school and the mac abilities in that realm are awesome.

so other than telling him he has to suck it up and never play his games again (which will cause Great Dramas and I'm not that mean) what are my best options and ways forward?

is alienware any good for longevity? it is true that you can't play the "cool" games on macs still? is there any PC that has the durability of a mac that is not outrageously priced?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016