homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what program I have. I uninstalled one (as per suggestion on a help site) and then reinstalled it (when it didn't solve the problem and its lack prevented me from getting into the sound dialogue), but now I don't remember what it was. (I wrote it down on a piece of paper but it got tossed [Frown] ) Apparently this problem isn't terribly rare as there are "solutions" (none of which work for me) to it all over the Ubuntu support sites. As I said over on my hell rant, these follow the usual course of discussions on Ubuntu support sites: problem mooted, one or two solutions proposed which the thread originator says don't work, then radio silence, usually for years.

Oh, and that reinstall was done from terminal using apt-get.

[ 21. January 2011, 18:34: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have drop down menus at the top of your screen (or wherever you've put the tool bar)? and if so, do you have the applications menu? Because under Sound and Video it should tell you what programmes you have.

If you load from the Ubuntu Software Centre - bottom of that drop down menu - you will make your life infinitely easier.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Downloads: Not from the System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager?

Re: sound driver. Where on the Applications menu? When I go to the Sound&Video submenu, it just has applications that make noise, such as VLC, Banshee, etc.

Going through Synaptic, I have these sound-related files loaded:

pulseaudio
sox
gstreamer
alsa-base
esound
apport
espeak
freepats
lame
libasound
libcanberra
libesd0 / libgme0 / libjack0
libmp3lame0 / libopenspc0
libpulse / libpython2.6
libsoundtouch1c2
libsox
linux-sound-base

Not sure how many of those are relevant.

[ 21. January 2011, 20:50: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, under Sound and Video in the Applications menu I have:

ALSA Mixer
ALSA player
GNOME ALSA mixer
GNOME MPlayer
Movie Player
PiTiVi video editor (which I suspect I don't use)
Rhythmbox Music Player
Sound Recorder

The advice I've had from everyone is that if you're not sure, you add programmes through the Ubuntu Software Centre, making sure that if you're using GNOME you only download programmes that work with GNOME. I have added the odd thing through the sudo route and it wasn't quick or easy

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT - it does look.. if you've installed .tar files all over the place, that you've basically fried your machine's filesystem.

Do the following.

1 - copy off what you can from your home directory to a USB stick. JUST your home directory.

Shut the machine down, boot with your Ubuntu Live CD in there (if you're running Lucid (10.04) - so much the better).

Allow it to clear everything down, run a Live Test, check you have all hardware visible and usable.
Run a clean install - clear everything out.

Accept all updates through Update Manager.

Once your machine is back up, do NOT install ANYTHING from ANY source outside Software Centre. ONLY install certified Ubuntu packages from Ubuntu repositories. This software has been tested with the OS.

Join a local linux User Group within your area ( I believe you're near Seattle).

if there are software requirements you believe you need, please post back here with a list of the apps and the websites... we'll walk you through what you will need to do. In most cases, you will need to file Needs-Packaging bug requests on Launchpad to request that the app is prepared for inclusion in the Ubuntu distribution at a later date.

This will then engage programmers and release managers - who will then eventually ensure the app will work with Ubuntu.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I don't know what a tar file is. What's a tar file?

Everything in my HOME directory including hidden directories and files, or not including hidden directories and files? You mean my personal documents/files?

My puter didn't come with a Live CD -- I downloaded an .iso from the Ubuntu site; it's called ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso. Is that the same thing? Last time I ran it the only option it gave was "install Ubuntu".

I'll try again and get back to you.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this glossary might be helpful.
quote:
Definition: tar: The GNU tar program saves many files together into one archive and can restore individual files (or all of the files) from the archive. Tar can also be used to add supplemental files to an archive and to update or list files in the archive. Tar includes multivolume support, automatic archive compression/decompression, the ability to perform remote archives and the ability to perform incremental and full backups. If you want to use Tar for remote backups, you'll also need to install the rmt package. You should install the tar package, because you'll find its compression and decompression utilities essential for working with files.
Sounds like the linux version of a zip file to me.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks, Think2.

Alex (or anybody), I notice in the Software Center there is a category called Canonically-maintained. Do you want me to ONLY install canonically-maintained software, or can I trust anything in the Software Center?

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tar file is a "tape archive", although it doesn't have to be written to tape. Essentially it's the tool you'd use to backup a bunch of stuff into a single, portable file.

It's not quite like a zip, in that it doesn't compress unless you explicitly ask it to (or post-process it with gzip).

Conventionally you'll get files named things like "myfile.tar.gz" or "myfile.tgz" which indicates that it's been tar'd then gzip'd although that's just convenience, not system enforced.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT,

Start here - https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/index.html

Read thoroughly.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/add-applications/C/installation-windows-ubuntu.html

Stick to JUST this method of adding software.

"Installing an application

Click Applications → Ubuntu Software Center and search for an application, or select a category and find an application from the list.

Select the application that you are interested in and click Install.

You will be asked to enter your password. Once you have done that the installation will begin, as long as you have a working Internet connection.

The installation usually finishes quickly, but could take a while if you have a slow Internet connection. When it has finished, your new application will be ready to use; most applications can be accessed from the Applications menu.

For more information about using the Ubuntu Software Center, consult the Ubuntu Software Center Manual."

Overview of the Ubuntu repositories form the Ubuntu help files.
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/add-applications/C/default-repos.html

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Thanks, Think2.

Alex (or anybody), I notice in the Software Center there is a category called Canonically-maintained. Do you want me to ONLY install canonically-maintained software, or can I trust anything in the Software Center?

MT, for safety's sake, System/Admin/Software Sources settings should only be the following.

Ubuntu Settings tab -
Canonical supported Open Source software - ticked
Community-maintained open source software - ticked
Proprietary drivers for devices - ticked
Software restricted by copyright - ticked
Source code - UNTICKED
(If you hit this by mistake, hit REVERT to back a change out)

Other software - follow procedures to add the Partner and Medibuntu repositories (I'll link these on, make sure that ONLY these two repos are enabled in this section - and only the ones for the version of Ubuntu you're running).

Ubuntu updates - ONLY enable Security and Recommended updates. Adding backports or proposed means UNSTABLE, UNRELEASED code will be offered.

Release upgrade - leave as LTS (if running 10.04) only.

DON'T ADD OR TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!

Let the repo lists reload...

Adding Medibuntu - Ubuntu process doc

PArtner repository - Commercial software (including Flash etc) -

"Adding Canonical Partner Repositories

The "Third-Party Software" tab is where you will be able to add the Canonical Partner Repositories. You will see two Canonical Partner repositories listed - one for applications and another for source code (src). The partner repositories offer access to proprietary and closed-source software and are not enabled by default. Users must specifically enable these 'partner' repositories. Select "Close" and "Reload" to save and update the database if you chose to add either or both of them. "

ONLY enable "http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner" - LEAVE THE SOURCE CODE ONE DISABLED.

Select Close and Reload.

Apps from those repos will now be in Software Centre.

LEAVE IT WELL ALONE FROM HERE ON IN.

If an app is not supplied, raise a request in Launchpad for the app to be released onto Ubuntu... and wait.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

mousethief, he meant back up to pen drive / USB stick, just your personal files, not anything else. If you've got other stuff in your home directory, it's probably one of the reasons you've got problems - because it's tar files being filed in odd places.

Don't forget (as I managed to do when we updated over the summer) that Pictures are in a different file from Documents as are Videos. Two months of photos no more [Frown] - I'm much better at backing up now!

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A complete re-install seems a bit drastic. I'm not seeing the evidence that MT's system is that screwed.

One thing it occurred to me to ask is whether the chatroom program is written in java because there is (was?) a known problem with sound in java on Linux. Basically if some other sound was already playing then the java app would remain silent and vice-versa. I can't find the references right now but I did look into it quite heavily when I was trying to get sound working with the cafe.

At the time there was no solution.

If you are thinking of re-installing I'd recommend Linux Mint - it's based on Ubuntu but it's got a few tweaks to make it more useable out of the box. In particular it comes with the extra repositories Alex refers to already set up.

The link given should take you to the Mint 10 download page. Avoid the Mint Debian edition as that's more for people who want the latest and greatest software and don't mind that it's not as stable.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Linux mint looks quite nice, but I am not sure I'd want to put myself through the pain of os-switch or dual boot for it. Most of the additional software I've put on this netbook is free anyway. And I am not sure what other benefit I'd get.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was really a suggestion for MT rather than a general one, and only then because he may already be in the process of doing a re-install.

In general if you're happy with your current set-up then you may not get much benefit (or any) from changing. That works whichever OS you start with and go to.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Mint review, Linux Ubuntu review.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

In theory I like the idea of open source, on principle. But I am not sure I have the tech skills to manage. I would tend toward dual boot in order to learn the the new os in the first instance, I have a desktop running windows anyway if it did go horribly wrong on the netbook it would be annoying but not disastrous.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
In theory I like the idea of open source, on principle. But I am not sure I have the tech skills to manage. I would tend toward dual boot in order to learn the the new os in the first instance, I have a desktop running windows anyway if it did go horribly wrong on the netbook it would be annoying but not disastrous.

One wa of trying it all out is to put on a Wubi install - or get hold of VMWare Player and load Ubuntu into a virtual machine atop Windows... if you want to leave your Windows install alone.

In any case, this is why Live CDs exist - so you can try it out without touching your primary OS.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Thanks for that, wubi looks like a good option for getting my head round it and seeing if I like the system. The netbook is sans cd drive, I know you can use iso images but wubi looks a lot simpler as a process.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

On further cafe conversation with Alex, maybe not Wubi after all - I shall download vmplayer and keep all in a safe little box ...

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

T2 - follow the instructions on page 60 of this guide...

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

Install process for Ubuntu 10.04 as a guest OS - including allocating suitable memory etc

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fab thanks, vmplayer is installed [Smile] next step guest os.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well I've reloaded, managed to create a double-boot, and am now running Update Manager. It says I have about 56 minutes left (the download size was in the 100s of MB).

Curiosity: the reason my home folder was so large is that I have music and documents and photographs. Fortunately I also have an external HDD for backups.

Here's a question: back in the early days of my former Ubuntu installation, I changed my DNS lookup servers to an opensource thingee because it was taking ages for my default lookup server to find sites. ("Looking for domain.com"...... and looking..... and looking). Does anybody know (a) which site I found the numbers on, and (b) where in Ubuntu to shove the numbers into? I got it as a suggestion in an email and it's long gone.

RELAX ALEX this isn't software. [Smile]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Alex: once this is all done updating I need permission to install UltraEdit, sir. It's a commercial bit of software that I've been using on the Windows side since 2001. I paid real $$ for the license and would love to use it. It's in the Software Center, but it says

1. This software is available from the 'lucid-partner' source, which you are not currently using.

2. Canonical does not provide updates for UltraEdit. Some updates may be provided by the third party vendor.

Please say I can use it. Nothing but NOTHING I have found on open source can hold a candle to it (which is why I broke down and bought it for Linix).

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Alex: once this is all done updating I need permission to install UltraEdit, sir. It's a commercial bit of software that I've been using on the Windows side since 2001. I paid real $$ for the license and would love to use it. It's in the Software Center, but it says

1. This software is available from the 'lucid-partner' source, which you are not currently using.

2. Canonical does not provide updates for UltraEdit. Some updates may be provided by the third party vendor.

Please say I can use it. Nothing but NOTHING I have found on open source can hold a candle to it (which is why I broke down and bought it for Linix).

OK - go into Software Sources, supply your password, go to the Other Software tab, and enable the line

"http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner".
Click on Close, then Reload.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
Here's a question: back in the early days of my former Ubuntu installation, I changed my DNS lookup servers to an opensource thingee because it was taking ages for my default lookup server to find sites. ("Looking for domain.com"...... and looking..... and looking). Does anybody know (a) which site I found the numbers on, and (b) where in Ubuntu to shove the numbers into? I got it as a suggestion in an email and it's long gone.

Based on emails we exchange back in October it was OpenDNS. I sent you an email on 16th Oct with a step by step guide but I believe you'd already found one online. I can re-send the email if you don't still have it.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Partner is the way that 3rd parties supply updates to commercial software- Canonical may help package the apps for release, but the patches come form the vendor.

Adobe provide Flash through this route, as do Skype etc etc.

Here's more info about it from the horse's mouth -
http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/programme

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Now this is where you have to change your thinking and hesitate. You want to know that someone has made it work first. Do not install from sources outside of the ones supported for the Ubuntu you installed until you know. Please don't. Unlike windows, Linux uses and reuses various library files, if the program you're installing uses a different version of the one you want, you will stand a very good chance of making other progs not run.

I'd be interested in knowing what open source progs you tried before you gave up.

.tar is an abbreviation for tape archive and has stuck around even though tapes are not used anymore. You will see files in the form "file.tar.gzip" It means it has been achived and compressed using an open source zip protocoal. Tar is often called tarball, gzip gunzip. gzip is gnu-zip. gnu means gnu's not unix (an in joke apparently). tgz is the same as tar.gz or tar.gzip.

You are not likely to use tar.gz right now. Suggest you stick to Ubuntu repositories for now.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

@Wilson: Please do send me that email again.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
OK - go into Software Sources, supply your password, go to the Other Software tab, and enable the line

"http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner".
Click on Close, then Reload.

1. It doesn't ask for a password.
2. There is no "Other Software" tab.

quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
I'd be interested in knowing what open source progs you tried before you gave up.

I don't know; it was years* ago. One with a fish, at least. That one really and truly sucked. Maybe it would be better if you told me what one(s) you like, and I can give them a spin.

Here "change your thinking" means "stop thinking about what you need and start settling for what we can provide." Which is one of my gripes with Linux in the first place. The software exists, it was designed for Linux, but since it isn't OpenSource, it's a bad boy and must be punished.

------------------------
*Well, a couple of months anyway. But when you're my age....

[ 22. January 2011, 18:03: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

@Alex: Ah, I see. By "Software Sources" you meant a item buried in the menu structure.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
@Alex: Ah, I see. By "Software Sources" you meant a item buried in the menu structure.

Yup - System/Admin/Software Sources governs where Update manager, Synaptic, and Software Centre pick stuff up from.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:

I don't know; it was years* ago. One with a fish, at least. That one really and truly sucked. Maybe it would be better if you told me what one(s) you like, and I can give them a spin.

Here "change your thinking" means "stop thinking about what you need and start settling for what we can provide." Which is one of my gripes with Linux in the first place. The software exists, it was designed for Linux, but since it isn't OpenSource, it's a bad boy and must be punished.

------------------------
*Well, a couple of months anyway. But when you're my age....

For various different types of editting I use:
[*]open office - word processing
[*]kate - simple text editting
[*]quanta - html
Have some others rarely used.

What sort of editting are you needing to do? No-one will be able to discuss with you what might be helpful if you can't provide such info.

Okay, so you're smarter than me. But I'll take it merely as a demonstration that you're frustrated. Linux has programs because some individual wanted to develop the program. You may understand computers but you do not understand Linux. It does not matter how long you've been using computers and what you think you know. Linux is not windows and it requires you to change how you think. If you don't want to, then perhaps it is not for you. There is no advertising no hype, just people trying to do tasks. Maybe just go ahead and install your prog. A reinstall doesn't take very long anyway and maybe you'll learn something. [Razz]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

I dunno I tend to think having a decent text editor is like having that one really sharp knife in the kitchen or that one screwdriver - it's just so useful that if you've found one you like then stick with it.

Unless of course it's Emacs in which case you're clearly insane! [Razz]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

What Wilson said.

"Change your thinking" -- so far you haven't defined what this means, other than the snippish but clearly-not-too-inaccurate portrayal I gave above. "Ask not what your operating system can do for you, but what you can do for your operating system." So basically you're saying, if you want to actually DO something, get Windows. I have to think there's more to Linux than that.

I want a text editor to edit text. Simple text, html, SQL, etc etc. If you've never used UltraEdit, I will excuse your derision.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

MT, I'm quoting my instructions publicly - so others can help when I'm not around..

"OK - I would suggest the following.

Click on System/Administration/Software Sources.
Type in your password.
Go to the "Other software" tab, and check that the Ubuntu Lucid Partner line is ticked.
Click on Close, then select Reload.

Open up Ubuntu Software Centre, and do the following.

1. Search for Sun Java, and select for install.
Select sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-bin, and select for install (these will probably be picked up as dependencies)
2. Look for OpenJDK, and uninstall.
3. Search for UltraEdit, and select for install.

Supply your password.

Once installed - close Software Centre.

Open Update Manager, click on Check, then Install updates.

Close and reopen your browser.
Reboot.

Log back in, and go to www.sun.com and click on Test Java. You should have Sun Java running."

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

MT - please do NOT PM me; ask publicly from here on in.

We are trying to help you... but I am exhausted.

please read the documents at help.ubuntu.com and digest them. Also, read Linux is NOT Windows.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay, sorry -- I just didn't want to take up the whole thread. Sorry, I didn't see this until I answered your PM -- feel free to ignore my reply.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Here's your last lot...

"Yay, Java is up and running! Thanks!

I have a question. Before reinstalling, I partitioned my 400GB HDD into 2 parts, about 90 and 310. I first installed Windows XP into the first part, then installed Ubuntu, and told it I wanted a dual boot. It has chopped up my hard drive in odd ways -- when I go to "Computer" I get the following three things:

99 GB Filesystem
199 GB Filesystem
File System

The last one is where all of the bin, home, etc. stuff is. If I open the first one, it has the windows stuff. What's the middle one?

I'll email you a picture of the Disk Utility screen."

Middle one could be swapspace... but I couldn't be sure.

But, you really are now verging on where, to be fair, you really should go to shop.canonical.com and buy some commercial support. Or find a local User Group -

Contact these folks - Greater Seattle Linux User Group. They could give you some local training face to face.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I have, by the way, ordered this book.

Also btw, Java is now working super-dee-duper. [Smile]

Unfortunately I still can't hear both the java window and something else at the same time.

Open questions:

1. favourite music players?
2. how do i get codecs for flac, mp3?

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
For those playing at home:

Ubuntu 10.10 has disabled 'Software Sources' in the Admin menu.

quote:

But fear not! You can easily re-enable the Software Sources menu entry. Simply right click the System menu, select "Edit menus" and then scroll down to Administration and check the box next to "Software Sources". And of course, you can still access Software Sources via Synaptic with no tweaking required. For now...

(From here.)
[/tangent]

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I went with 10.04 because it said it had long term support - I thought 10.10 might not be stable yet.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

10.04 has 3 years of support - as opposed to the 6 months that the "standard" (read bleeding-edge) releases have. They also get a lot more bugfixing before release.. and several point-release updates as well.

Good choice, T2.

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
I have, by the way, ordered this book.

Also btw, Java is now working super-dee-duper. [Smile]

Unfortunately I still can't hear both the java window and something else at the same time.

Open questions:

1. favourite music players?
2. how do i get codecs for flac, mp3?

Go to http://help.ubuntu.com

Look up Medibuntu for 10.04.

Fairly straightforward instructions. However, to be completely legal... go

here , and buy the complete playback pack. Follow the instructions. - you'll then be fully DMCA compliant.

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Over music players - look in Ubuntu Software Centre.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

That doesn't tell me if there are any favorites of people here, and why they like them.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

To verify: I can play a music file in Movie Player (the default when I click on it), and a YouTube video in Firefox at the same time and hear them both (yum!), but not the Java-based chatroom. If this is a known problem with no fix, then I live with it. I've seen the light.

I also have a question: this isn't a complaint but just a question. Well, a long and complex question.

Background: When I got the lappie, the HDD had 3 partitions: One big one, and then two very small linux "swap" partitions.

Prior to the reinstall I ran GParter and chopped the large one into two smaller ones: one about 90GB and the other about 310. Roughly. So at that point I had 4 partitions.

I installed Windows in partition 1.

I then installed Ubuntu. Rather than tell it to go into a particular partition, I selected the "create dual-boot system" option.

It seems to have chopped my partition 2 in to all sorts of pieces and I'm not at all sure how I should (or can) use them.

First slide please. Here you can see the file systems on my desktop (ignore Ubermaus - it's the external), and then the "computer" browser showing all of the filesystems/media. The "Filesystem" is clearly the main system where the Ubuntu system and my home directory are installed. Not a problem.

(For subsequent pics please press the "Older" button just above the URH corner of the photo.)

(next slide please) The "99GB" Filesystem is clearly the Windows partition.

(next slide) The "199GB" Filesystem is the one I don't understand.

(next slide) This shows the System>Administration>Disk Utility with the 99GB partition selected. The next 5 slides show the same program, with each of the 6 (six!) partitions highlighted in turn.

So my question is, basically: What is this 199GB Filesystem? Can I use it? It seems like a chunk of my hard drive that I can't effectively use.

Is there an easy way to reference it in a program or something? Its current moniker (file:///media/82f897c0-7057-4577-bbfa-24bd5ac7262d) is horribly unwieldy. (I tried "edit filesystem label" and I didn't have sufficient rights.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ah, just discovered: I cannot create a folder in the 199GB, nor can I drop a file there ("Permission Denied"). Waaah!

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Just as an aside, this is where using virtual machines is easier than dual-boot.

You'd need to start Nautilus from commandline with the command "gksudo nautilus", thereby giving that session root privs to work in that filesystem, as the user and group privs don't match.

But tghat is too complicated to go into now.

One idea for the future would be to reinstall as the sole os, then if you are making less use of Win rather than Lin, and you have a full retail Win licence, then get Linux running... and then install VMWare, create a virtual machine and load Windolws into that. You can then maybe run Samba on Lin, and ujse tghat to easily share files between the two environmwnts.

Read up on virtual machines and vmware on wikipedia.

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

MT - re UIUD labels in Linux - STOP! STEP SLOWLY AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD! Make any changes to UIUDs and you could render your machine unbootable.

Do NOT make any changes like that. Forget EVERYTHING you know about "multiple drives" under Windows. Linux and Unix do NOT manage disks and storage that way.

Everything is mounted under a single root, using the file /etc/fstab. But this is FAR advanced from where you are.

Leave well alone.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

Mousethief - from the pictures the reason you can't use the 199Gb filesystem is that it's not currently mounted. The filesystem needs to be associated with a directory which will be the place under which all its files and directories appear. This is known as the mount point. e.g. if the mount point for a particular filesystem is /disk2 and that filesystem has directories called photos and music then when mounted the directories will appear as /disk2/photos and /disk2/music. Mounting a filesystem means to bring it online and make its files available for access. It's normally something that happens during boot but it can be done afterwards - an external hard drive that you plug in has to be mounted (though usually that's done automatically).

I'm speculating but it's looks as though the mount point for the 199Gb partition hasn't been defined and that's why it's not mounted during boot. Or perhaps it was defined but the directory (of the mount point itself) doesn't exist.

Can you post the contents of the /etc/fstab file? You should be able to open it read-only.

We can tell from that whether the mount point is defined or not.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016