homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Well Hooray. Guardian Readers Will Tell Me How To Vote (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Well Hooray. Guardian Readers Will Tell Me How To Vote
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atmospheric Skull:
When I first heard about the Guardian letter-writing campaign, it sounded like a sane enough idea to me. Apparently, though, this is because I'm a civilised human being.

There are other possible explanations.

quote:
So, I'll return to quietly panicking about the fact that the individual with the strongest influence over how my country is governed is shortly going to be appointed, entirely without my control or consent, by a bunch of foreigners... who appear, again going by the evidence displayed in this thread, to include a startlingly high proportion of cretinous xenophobes.
If you really believe this load of ass-dribble, then what you should be panicked about is your own government not being in control of your country. Why the fuck should anyone take political advice from people who have let their own nation arrive at such a sorry state of affairs?

Your post shows that the extremely broad brush you are using should be applied to you as well. I suggest doing it by shoving the broad brush up your own cretinous, xenophobic ass.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apparently, though, this is because I'm a civilised human being.

Right. You are as qualified to directly engage US voters as a toddler is to play with firearms or construction equipment.
quote:
So, I'll return to quietly panicking about the fact that the individual with the strongest influence over how my country is governed is shortly going to be appointed, entirely without my control or consent, by a bunch of foreigners... who appear, again going by the evidence displayed in this thread, to include a startlingly high proportion of cretinous xenophobes.
Sorry, but the PM, his cabinet and your MPs have the strongest influence over how your country is governed. You are in denial. Do you think that UK foreign and military policy is inextricably bound to US foreign and military policy? Why do you think that is? Who made the decisions that have maintained this special relationship through Labour and Conservative governments? Do you honestly believe that Lib Dems or anyone else will be able to change that in the short term?

And that you didn't already know that the US has shitloads of cretinous xenophobes (oh and the Yanks who have posted here are not actually among these), only confirms that you are too ignorant of American political life to safely try to influence it.

Thanks for not writing to your designated Clark County voter.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Posts: 2165 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barrabas
Lifeman's sockpuppet
# 8632

- Posted      Profile for Barrabas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jerry,

What's your point about the US having 'shitloads of cretious zenophobes'?

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barabas:
What's your point about the US having 'shitloads of cretious zenophobes'?

He means that the US is just like most other places in that regard. Like, for instance, Bristol or Stockport.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Neep
Ship's Meerkat
# 5213

- Posted      Profile for Neep   Email Neep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Why the fuck should anyone take political advice from people who have let their own nation arrive at such a sorry state of affairs?

A fair comment, if the adviser is approaching it from a "Look here, you're doing it all wrong- watch how we do it" direction. However, I don't think Atmospheric Skull was suggesting that- perhaps that both countries are in a political mess (previous US election, war on terror et al) that each could try to pull the other out of; and while a letter of advice from some foreigner would probably be poorly received, it wouldn't be so rude or provocative if written from the latter perspective.

Why aren't there any British acts on the music tours through the swing states? Or are there? That would probably be more agreeable for the target audience, and is a more acceptable political technique. If only Martyn Joseph were more widely appreciated...

--------------------
"Your standing days are done," I cried, "You'll rally me no more!
I don't even know which side we fought on, or what for."

Posts: 293 | From: A burrow, in England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ASkull, you and Barabas blame Americans and the US government for your own political failures. The xenophobia you claim we demonstrate is nothing but your own projection. Your paranoia is pretty nasty, too, BTW.

You both are presumably voters in your country, presumably competently educated, presumably able to differentiate between your ass and a hole in the ground, so you have no excuse for your posts. If you despise your country's current relationship with the US, if you abhor its policies and actions in Iraq, get off your butts and work to change them.

I realize it's comfortable down there in your bunker, like a survivalist, with everyone outside clearly wearing the FRIEND or ENEMY label, and no gray areas. But going from bunker to tomb is only a very small, short step.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ship's Meerkat:
... perhaps that both countries are in a political mess (previous US election, war on terror et al) that each could try to pull the other out of...

This conjures images of two kids about to jump off of something distressingly high into some body of water of uncertain depth, each saying to the other "you first".
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, KenWritez's political posts always remind me of this song.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do indeed go "vrrrrrmmm vrrrrrmmm, problem solved!" You'd be surprised at the high number of political issues successflly resolved at the business end of a chain saw.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Feel my thrumming jealousy.
[In the actual song "Malcolm solves his problems with a chain saw", there's some really great screaming in the background during vvrrrrrrmmm vvrrrrrmmm. Inspirational stuff.]

[ 15. October 2004, 19:53: Message edited by: RooK ]

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it as good as Happy Flowers' "Clown on Fire?"

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not as good as the same Worms's "Me Like Hockey" (probably not actually called that but my daughter has the CD)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have a nice election, guys.

Dude, when you locate your testicles, let me know. I absolutely refuse to believe that the British are so pathetically emasculated that they are helpless in the face of the whims of the US government. If this is really an accurate portrayal of the state of politics in the UK... good God what a bunch of fucking pussies.

[ 16. October 2004, 03:41: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Believe it, Erin, believe it [Frown]

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Posts: 1684 | From: Choson | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To continue with my previous post, Tony Blair has got his head shoved so far up George Bush's ondongi that he doesn't know whether it is day or night. Parliament, despite knowing that a sizeable proportion of the British public didn't want us to go to war in Iraq, rolled over and let the government walk all over them. In the aftermath of the war, we've found out that there are no WMDs and that our government manipulated intelligence to provide a causus beli. And yet Tony Blair is still in his job and that doesn't look like changing any time soon. Very depressing.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parliament isn't the government? What the hell is it, then?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:

It's the place where all the Members of Parliament sit and debate stuff - similar to the House of Congress (Representatives?). The Government is part of Parliament and is made up of elected Members of Parliament, but they're not the same thing.

Actually I've always found it interesting that American administrations usually choose one person from the opposing party to be Secretary of something - usually something low key, but interesting all the same. How does that work out in practice?

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's confusing. I think what you're calling "the government" is what we'd call "the cabinet."

From my perspective "the government" includes the judiciary, the elected officials (including hte president and congress), the appointed officials, and the careerr beaurocrats who run the various services (printers of money, military members, and a zillion various pencil pushers). All that together is "the government".

I don't know anything about cabinet members from the opposite party -- another 'merican will have to help you with that question.

--------------------

Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

Actually, I think you might be right - I've been writing a scientific paper all day and my brain is turning into jelly [brick wall] Can any Brits out there help me explain the system of governance of my own country? [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is the Legislature, namely the House of Commons and the House of Lords. They debate, vote on and amend legislation. The members of the House of Commons are elected. The members of the House of Lords are not.

There is the Executive which is made of Her Majesty's Government headed by the First Lord of the Treasury or Prime Minister. The senior members of the Government (Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Foriegn Secretary etc) form the Cabinet. The Government does not include the Civil Service or any judges (except the Lord Chancellor - see below) or policemen or armed servicemen etc etc, none of whom are elected. All members of the Government and the Cabinet must be members of Parliament, either in the Commons or Lords.

There is the Judiciary made of the judges, again none of whom are elected, merely appointed by the Lord Chancellor.

The curious bit is that some senior judges sit in the House of Lords and thus have limited legislative powers (although it is very rare for a serving Law Lord - as they are known - to vote on a parilamentary bill). They only remain in the Lords whilst they are a judge. In addition the Lord Chancellor, the senior judge, is a member of the Government and thus from the political party in power. He chooses the judges but can be sacked by the Prime Minister in the way that any other minister can be. He also loses his job if the Government switches party. The role and position of the Lord Chancellor may soon be changed.

All of these bodies are appointed by and are under the authority of the Crown, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

That's not to mention the farce that is the European Parliament, European Commission etc etc.

OK?

Please continue with the rest of the conversation.

Cosmo

[ 16. October 2004, 08:09: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:

Well in simplistic terms that I can understand, Parliament is all of our elected representatives (MPs - Members of Parliament) from all different parties, who debate and pass legislation. Wheras the Government is the prime minister and his cabinet etc, basically those MPs who are members of the party that won the last General Election (the party that got the most seats in parliament). The government proposes legislation, but it has to be passed by a vote in parliament.

Does that make it any clearer? Maybe its wrong, but its how I understand it, and ignores complicating factors like the House of Lords, who's composition/mechanism/powers I do not fully comprehend

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I absolutely refuse to believe that the British are so pathetically emasculated that they are helpless in the face of the whims of the US government. If this is really an accurate portrayal of the state of politics in the UK... good God what a bunch of fucking pussies.

But Erin, you must remember we're incapable of making up our minds. We need someone to tell us what to do. I'm sure there are some people in Clark County, Ohio, who will happily write us just before our election and tell us who to vote for.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

Thanks, Cosmo and gracious Rebel - you learn a new thing every day. I didn't know Tony Blair was First Lord of the Treasury. Bet Gordon doesn't like that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

Originally posted some time back by Callan
quote:
Oddly enough your comments in brackets struck me. It seems to me likely that Saddam needed to preserve his status as scourge of the US Imperialists in order to bolster his regime's shaky legitimacy and to prove to potentially dissident elements that he retained his cojones. Presumably he thought that 'doing a Gaddafi' was more of a threat to him internally than any US President might of been - ignoring the fact that Bush jr. was not a realpolitician like Bush snr. or a liberal internationalist like Clinton.

We will never know, I imagine, unless there is a draft of 'Time Has It's Epochs' or 'The Common Weal' by Saddam tucked in a bunker somewhere. I must say that, whilst I disagree with you about the merits of the war, under the circumstances it can hardly be denied that part of the responsibility for its outcome must be placed squarely at the feet of Saddam.

Mind you, in the days when I used to study diplomatic history I was a fully paid up member of the 'Soviet Union - nervous status quo power, rather than ubervillain bent on world dominance' school of thought. So those of you with more robust views on foreign policy can file me under 'hopeless appeaser'.

Saddam's been talking recently to his interrogator. Apparently he kept up the pretence that he had WMD in order to stop Iran from getting any funny ideas. He also thought that America would eventually have to do a deal with him. Guess he didn't understand the shift in American foreign policy that 9/11 wrought.

I think that the Sovs were just as terrified of us invading them as we were of them invading us.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HangerQueen:
Thanks, Cosmo and gracious Rebel - you learn a new thing every day. I didn't know Tony Blair was First Lord of the Treasury. Bet Gordon doesn't like that! [Big Grin]

I don't think he is overly fond of Tony Blair being Prime Minister either. [Big Grin]
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Howdy'all

On Monday BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show will be coming from Midland, TX, George W Bush's hometown.

Here is a link to the show's home page. Note that a poll has been done through the show and (I've checked this with Mrs Sioni) it's fair to say that the Radio 2 listenership is a whole lot more conservative than that of Radio 4, which in turn is probably closer to Britain's typical Shipmate. Also that this show is transmitted at lunchtime so most of the listeners are (again checked with Mrs S) at home parents over 30 and retired folks.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't be arsed to read all four pages of this thread to see if someone (ken I hope) has said it before, but as a gentle unaggressive Guardian reader who doesn't in the least hate Americans, just aware of the damage that power-crazed US presidents can cause, I'd just like to say [a] that there are plenty of crap newspapers in Britain but the Grauniad isn't one of them [b] if the Americans believe in freedom (and a free world) why can't we at least comment -- no-on'es asking for a vote -- on matters that affect all of us [c] the Grauniad's affectionate nickname was given it in the old hot-metal days when it was renowned for typos: these are now rare and no more common than in any other papers. But I take the point that no-one, especially provincial Americans, is going to take much notice of a foreign newspaper or its readers. After all, most people in this country (78% anti-Bush) don't take notice of the predominantly right-wing and pro-Bush British press.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

Angloid, had you read the previous four pages, you'd have seen your point B was repeatedly answered.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I think that the Sovs were just as terrified of us invading them as we were of them invading us.

True enough. And even moreso of nuking them. The US never signed anything promising no-first-strike.

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Angloid, had you read the previous four pages, you'd have seen your point B was repeatedly answered.

What's more, if you'd read the fucking thread, we might give a shit what you have to say about the subject.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
What's more, if you'd read the fucking thread, we might give a shit what you have to say about the subject.

Or maybe not.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Writing to a Clark County voter is a chance to explain how US policies effect you personally
I never knew that writing to Clark County was required for me to personally exist?

{If you personally existed you would get your UBB code correct.}

[ 17. October 2004, 08:12: Message edited by: Níghtlamp ]

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realise that Hell is dangerous territory for Guardian readers, but some of us have lives to live and can't waste time ploughing through pages and pages of other people's rants. I don't have to read them and you don't have to read mine, so let's leave it at that.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
I absolutely refuse to believe that the British are so pathetically emasculated that they are helpless in the face of the whims of the US government. If this is really an accurate portrayal of the state of politics in the UK... good God what a bunch of fucking pussies.

But Erin, you must remember we're incapable of making up our minds. We need someone to tell us what to do. I'm sure there are some people in Clark County, Ohio, who will happily write us just before our election and tell us who to vote for.
Indeed.

I will note that Tony Blair is really popular in this country.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corfe:
Amazing Grace said:
quote:
In this case, the lobbying idea is wooly-minded enough that it would swing things exactly opposite of the way that apparently was intended.
Could, not would. Not many will bother to write these letters (I won't be writing) and most people who receive them will probably ignore them. Only the very stupidest recipients will say to themselves "if these people want X, I'll vote for Y; that'll show them" as no-one will see how they vote. Most will say "well, that's their view but I'm voting for X".

quote:
What part of "It's an amazingly stupid idea" is so incredibly difficult to understand?
Charlotte, I don't particularly support the Guardian scheme but saying you think it's a stupid idea doesn't make it true, even in Hell. Come on, you can do better.

The peevedness across the political spectrum of the Americans at the prospect of this scheme should have been your first farkin' clue.

I have seen at least two people on the ship whom I regard as very intelligent (um, if somewhat contrary) getting their backs up for Bush as a result of British election-nannying. That should have been another huge steaming pile of Cluely Goodness.

I'm absolutely not surprised at their reaction. I know the environment. Numerous of your countrymen seem to have sussed these basics out, for which I salute them. The logical conclusion is that your own powers of observation are seriously lacking.

I have said more than "it's an amazingly stupid idea", and you snipped it. I have also seen you similarly disregard others who have been more eloquent. So, yeah, I'll get RIGHT on that. *snork* If you want a Purgatorial-style debate, grasshopper, you need to at least pretend to be listening.

The way to participate in the US elections is to move to the US and take citizenship. We're hardly alone in restricting that sort of activity to the citizenry. That's the way things work. Deal with it. Some of the Get out the Vote (or election monitoring - I heard that Carter will be sending observers to Florida, and jolly glad I am of that, too) type orgs may allow contributions from foreigners, or you can find out if any of the UK parties is officially* aiding the Dems** and send them a couple of quid.

Or chocolate. You could send Green and Blacks to the poor harangued Clark County voters. That would be actually useful. Don't try to get political with them, they're sick of that right now.

You'll get your own election pretty soon. Please don't do something that might screw up ours. It really is that close a lot of places.

* Does anyone know if this sort of thing happened before Major's attempt to get GHWB re-elected? Which, of course, Clinton returned with interest.

** I'd also hope that the people actually on the ground had enough understanding of "how things work" to avoid pissing off the electorate, which I haven't seen from the people here who think this scheme is even remotely close to being a good idea.

Tinkerty-tonk, and I meant that to sting,

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

quote:
When I first heard about the Guardian letter-writing campaign, it sounded like a sane enough idea to me. Apparently, though, this is because I'm a civilised human being.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Way to win friends and influence people, dood!

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

But Alan, you're married to an American ... you can just ask her how you should vote when the UK holds its next elections. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More importantly, he still has time (I think, depends on whether she is still registered to vote somewhere and has time to mail off an absentee ballot) to tell her how to vote!

(Excuse me while I wander off to google if and how ex-pats married to furriners register to vote...)

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better hurry. Absentee ballots are already being cast.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
Originally posted by angloid:
I realise that Hell is dangerous territory for Guardian readers, but some of us have lives to live and can't waste time ploughing through pages and pages of other people's rants. I don't have to read them and you don't have to read mine, so let's leave it at that.

Then STFU.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Hell is dangerous territory for Guardian readers,

No. Hell is dangerous territory for stupid people. It would appear that you still qualify as being at risk.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
some of us have lives to live and can't waste time ploughing through pages and pages of other people's rants

Then you don't need to post here. If you can't take the time to read the thread, then go find something else to do. But don't jump into the middle of a conversation and expect to be anything other than ridiculed. Because if you act like a fuckwit, you'll get called on it. This is Hell, not the penny sweet shoppe.

Fuckwit.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Remember Rook: There can be only one thing worse than stupid people...and that's stupid people near you.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
More importantly, he still has time (I think, depends on whether she is still registered to vote somewhere and has time to mail off an absentee ballot) to tell her how to vote!

(Excuse me while I wander off to google if and how ex-pats married to furriners register to vote...)

And from his avatar there was me thinking Alan was a Dr. Evil mad scientist type of person.

Oh, you said foreigners. I thought you meant furriers. My bad.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, our dear Dr Alan is indeed an evil scientist type and now he is also married to whatever the Scottish equivalent of 'furriner' is.

Mwahaaaahaaaa.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:

Indeed. Tomorrow I'm going to vote for Bush to spite Guardian readers and other fer'in Comm'rnists. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:

Indeed. Tomorrow I'm going to vote for Bush to spite Guardian readers and other fer'in Comm'rnists. [Big Grin]
D'ya reckon that if I spam a few Yanks who post on here (RuthW, RooK, etc) and tell 'em to vote for Kerry, they will vote for Bush too?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
D'ya reckon that if I spam a few Yanks who post on here (RuthW, RooK, etc) and tell 'em to vote for Kerry, they will vote for Bush too?

Hmmm.

KERRY IS EVEN BETTER THAN HERBAL VIAGRA.

CALVARY GREETINGS FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC. VOTE FOR KERRY.

GET MORE XXX ACTION. VOTE FOR CLINTON, uh, I mean, KERRY!

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

Just to add a little more spice, here are some of the replies the Guardian received.

I particularly like this one:

quote:
Please be advised that I have forwarded this to the CIA and FBI.
United States

Pure comedic genius.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

quote:
Just to add a little more spice, here are some of the replies the Guardian received.

I just want to say I did NOT write this reply:

Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with your own worthless corner of it.
Texas, USA

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016