homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying the oat cake recipe right now, will report back!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Pickled figs - lots more on this site

There ya go

Many thanks!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether this post should be here, or in a new thread of its own, as it might set off a bit of a tangent, but ...

If you're not doing turkey for Christmas lunch/dinner, what are you doing?

I ask because for the first time in 13 years, D. and I will probably be just ourselves on Christmas Day, in a small flat with limited cooking resources (the oven only has one shelf, which is novel, and most of our cooking equipment is in storage).

We're neither of us wild about turkey anyway, and may well do something lamb-related, depending on oven-organisation issues.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No idea really. I am still planning a lunch by myself but perhaps my sons have not thought of that yet. Then I will have to pursuade them that I am fine. I am more than happy with being alone, not lonely at all, and we have family lunch on Boxing Day. Probably fresh prawns. I love seafood and do not really like turkey mush at all. Would eat it if served, but would rather not.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about something like Carluccio's baked chicken with potatoes? Basically, a jointed chicken with chunks of potato (and whatever other veg you might like to roast as well), in a roasting tin, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary needles. Toss the ingredients to coat with oil, bake at 200C for half an hour, mix ingredients together again, bake for another half hour or until the spuds are tender. You could use a disposable foil roasting tin, if yours is still in storage.

I've done loads of variations with different herbs and spices over the years. If you wanted to make a smaller version for 2, you could use a couple of chicken marylands instead of a whole jointed chicken. Or Carluccio himself it could be done with lamb cutlets.

[ 06. December 2016, 23:20: Message edited by: Kittyville ]

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was shown a lovely recipe by a French Chef at a cooking class. You cut a chicken in half, and carefully bone it of all but the wing tip. You stuff the halves with chopped chicken from the rest of the bird and sautéed wild mushrooms. You wrap in pork caul fat and bake.

The result is two chicken halves that can be eaten with a knife and fork and don't take much room to cook.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A possible alternative Christmas Lunch for two:

Peel, chop and par boil for 2 minutes only Potato, Carrot, Celery and Parsnip.

Drain and place in large bowl

Drizzle with Olive Oil - you can add a handful of dried tarragon if you wish

In large skillet brown two Quail (or four Poussin)

Take large heavy roasting dish and melt in a little fat/ add some oil.

Place two-third of vegetables over base of tin, then add poultry, topping with remaining veg.

Cover with foil and place in HOT oven for 15 minutes, then turn to Moderate for a further 40.

The end result is moist meat, yummy veg and limited washing up.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the ideas - I maybe should have said that we eat chicken quite a lot of the time anyway - Costco ready-cooked chickens will more-or-less feed us for about a week in one way or another.

They're so cheap (about $8) that D. reckons buying raw ones is barely worth it (although I quite like the idea of cooking one myself so that I can flavour it however I like).

When we lived in Belfast we occasionally had game birds - IIRC we tried pheasant and duck - but I'm not sure if there's anywhere here that does game. A small-ish lamb joint would give us two meals (one hot, one cold with bread and salads), which would probably work quite well.

We're going to be house-sitting for a couple of friends from just after Christmas to Easter, so we probably don't want to have enough food in the house to feed us for a fortnight - they're expecting us to use up whatever's in their freezer - and I suppose there's no point in having to transport any more than we need to.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb shoulder or a small leg of lamb might work well, Piglet. I keep a jar of mint sauce or mint jelly handy in the store cupboard because lamb is one of my standby dishes. If I have time, I do slow-cooked Greek lamb with oregano, garlic and tomato puree in a low oven for eight hours or overnight.

Yesterday I made my simplified version of Jamie Oliver's Get-Ahead Gravy (without the two star anise he recommends)and stored smallish tubs of it in the deep freeze. At this time of year unexpected visitors sometimes materialise on the doorstep demanding hot cooked meals (even in a heatwave) and if I have to put something other than lasagna or quiche together, it is useful to have gravy or a jus within shouting distance.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

ML, that Greek lamb sounds lovely. Is it done in a roasting-tin covered with foil, and at how low a temperature?

I'm also imagining it would work in a slow-cooker, but that'll have to wait until we get the old house sold and get our stuff out of storage (not sure if the people we're house-sitting for have a slow-cooker).

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, another good thing to slowroast is park belly. I have done this twice recently even though I live by myself. A couple of hot meals from it and lots of meat for lunch salads. Last one was on special , $14/kilo.

The rind is usually scored but I do some more if needed. Rub oil and salt into rind.

I put in pan and cover loosely with foil. Cook at around 100 C for some hours. My oven is unpredictable and can be savage, so I do it extra low. Then turn it up for a while. About 30-40 minutes before eating, I turn oven to about 200 C, remove foil so crackling gets very crunchy.

Let it stand before serving. Enjoy.

One son cooks it at high first, then lowers temperature. That works but youngest son and I are convinced of better results this way. The long slow cooking melts the fat and gives good crackling.

[ 08. December 2016, 22:31: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suggesting pork to a piglet seems terribly insensitive...

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My apologies , Piglet. That escaped my notice entirely. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 09. December 2016, 01:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, a Greek-Cypriot friend told me how to make slow-cooked lamb or lamb kleftiko and it is a very forgiving dish. I use a heavy cast iron pot in the oven.

I use a shoulder of lamb rather than leg unless I'm cooking for a crowd. Leftover lamb goes well in wraps or pita breads.

Then I put the shoulder on top of two large ripe tomatoes cut into thick slices, a sliced onion, two bay leaves, two or three peeled cloves of garlic, some sprigs of fresh rosemary or a shake of dried rosemary, some chopped fresh oreganum or dried oreganum (you could also put in mint or thyme). I splash two tablespoons or so of olive oil and the juice of a lemon and some lemon zest over the lamb and sometimes I sprinkle over a teaspoon of sweet smoked paprika for smokiness. I put in a cup of good red wine or some red-wine vinegar mixed with water to keep the lamb moist.

If you're not using a pot, you could seal the lamb in heavy foil in an oven dish.

I keep the oven as low as 140C although I have done it at at 165C/330F for about five to six hours (depending on size of shoulder) and sometimes take the lid off/foil off for the last 20 minutes and turn up the oven to 200C to brown it but if it has gone for six or seven hours, it is usually crisp on top and meltingly succulent.

Some people add cinnamon, or potatoes. Felicity Cloake gives some alternatives here:

how to cook the perfect kleftiko

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

MaryLouise that's sounds wonderful. Shoulder lamb has more fat than a leg so slow cooking is ideal for it.

I need someone to remind me that I am out of sesame oil. No idea how it all went without my noticing it. Can't see it anywhere in my pantry so have used good olive oil on my chicken. It will be fine, but not what I was planning.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I think you're probably right, Pete - I've tried to replicate my mum's recipe for tiffin (a sort of chocolate/raisin/digestive biscuit confection that is very heavenly) and while mine came close, I don't think it was quite right.

Possibly the unobtainability of Scotbloc™ cooking chocolate had something to do with it.

Hi Piglet, I have a family recipe for tiffin which is pretty good, I can pm it to you if you like.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Please do, Sparrow, unless you don't mind sharing it with everybody, in which case post it here ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK this is our family "tiffin" recipe which we always make at Christmas. It was given to my mother many years ago under the title "Polish cake" and if you google that now you can find something very similar! Ours has adapted over the years to become a bit less rich and sweet.

You need a 7 in square shallow cake tin, lined well with greaseproof paper.

8 oz digestive biscuits (or hobnobs)
4 oz butter
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon golden syrup
Handful of dried fruit of your choice, sultanas, raisins, chopped glace cherries etc
4oz good quality chocolate

Crush the biscuits with a rolling pin, not too finely.

Melt the butter in a large pan, add the cocoa and golden syrup and mix well. Add the crushed biscuits and dried fruit and blend well, and put in the tin, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon. Allow to cool or put in the fridge till cold. Melt the chocolate and spread over the top, and allow to set. Mark into squares before set.

The original recipe had drinking chocolate rather than cocoa, but I found that was rather too sweet. Also the original recipe had no dried fruit.

The alternative version which I tend to make more often nowadays, uses Hobnob biscuits rather than digestives as I think they are a tiny bit healthier, having oats in them!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the dried fruit front, dried apricots are excellent! We also use them in our Christmas pudding instead of the traditional but awful candied peel.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tiffin is excellent for bring and shares as it looks like you've made tonnes of effort but all it takes is biscuit bashing and chocolate melting. The recipe my Mum makes is called 'crowning glory' as it was designed to be moulded into a bundt tin. Extra kudos for very little extra effort (if you line the tin with clingfilm).

Piglet, I think Scotbloc may be a nostalgia thing; as an adult I find it pretty unpleasant, though kids don't seem to care. It's useful for coating apples on sticks for fayres and bake sales.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet - whatever you choose,a selection of leftovers will be an instant way into the heart of the cat you will be house-sitting.
Speaking as one whose DH has purchased a deer - [Eek!] how do I get away from it?

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks very much, Sparrow - that looks fairly similar to the recipe I used (taken from the interweb - every time I go home on holiday I mean to look for Mum's recipe, but never remember once I'm actually there).

I'll certainly give it a go when we regain possession of our, um, possessions (currently in storage).

Fredegund, are there particular leftovers which would be unwise to use as cat-bribery (i.e. would make her ill)?

And when you say your DH has "purchased a deer", how much of it are you talking about? [Eek!]

[ 22. December 2016, 00:19: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean when you say chocolate please? Is it powdered drinking chocolate/cocoa or grated block?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Melted chocolate, try to avoid cooking chocolate and go for the best quality you can afford!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, we were a bit confused by the recipe.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking for a recipe. I think my Mother called it Christmas hash. I remember it had marshmallows, nuts, and cherries in it as well as cream cheese. She made it in a long thin tray and placed it in the freezer and then sliced it and put it on a piece of lettuce each Christmas. Green leaf, red cherries, white background. I was just having a fit of childhood holiday memories and wondered what it was. I remember it seemed festive and fun to see much more then the taste as something I remember with any fondness. Anyone on the ship have any idea what it might have been?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
As requested:

Scottish Oatcakes

Makes 18-20

Ingredients:

• 200g porage oats
• 1 tsp salt [I think 0.5 tsp probably enough]
• 1 tsp cracked black pepper [home grown in our case]
• 50ml extra virgin olive oil [I thought of trying Coconut Oil to give a Kerala flavour]
• A little boiling water

Method:

1. Take half of your porage oats and tip them into a food processor or blender, along with the salt and pepper. Whiz until relatively fine and tip into a mixing bowl.

2. Add the remaining porage oats into the mixing bowl, stir briefly and pour in the olive [or other] oil. Incorporate the oil a little before pouring in a little boiling water – around 2-3 tbsp – enough to transform your oats into a soft, malleable dough.

3. Gently knead your dough for 30 seconds, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll gently until 5mm thick.

4. Take a 6cm round cutter and cut out 18-20 oatcakes - not having such a cutter I use a crumpet ring. Preheat the oven to 160C/180C(fan). Pop the oatcakes onto a lined baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes, until they are crisp and a little browned.

Serve with a nice, tangy cheese or just on their own.

It's still Christmas afternoon here, and the oatcakes are just out of the oven. May the blessings of Heaven pour down upon our brother WW! I have just proved that the recipe is foolproof. Christmas dinner will be mattar paneer and naan, and a little later on there will be oatcakes, old Stilton and Lagavulin. Amen, amen and amen.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that dried fruit counts as one of your 5 a day, but does anyone know if Christmas pudding does?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I am looking for a recipe. I think my Mother called it Christmas hash. I remember it had marshmallows, nuts, and cherries in it as well as cream cheese. She made it in a long thin tray and placed it in the freezer and then sliced it and put it on a piece of lettuce each Christmas. Green leaf, red cherries, white background. I was just having a fit of childhood holiday memories and wondered what it was. I remember it seemed festive and fun to see much more then the taste as something I remember with any fondness. Anyone on the ship have any idea what it might have been?

Does this sound close?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That and its relations underneath sound like versions of the Australian recipe called White Christmas which my sister told me was not worth getting hold of the coconut based ingredient for.

But it has reminded me of the dessert recipe that was served at a local charity run cafe, where I asked for the recipe, but someone had made off with the dessert recipe file. It may have been called Seventh Heaven (or similar). There was a dairy ingredient - I used a blend of whipped cream and (I think, yoghurt - smatana would do, too), soft brown sugar roughly stirred in, so it was distributed like the raspberry stuff in raspberry ripple icecream, and halved seedless grapes. It has the slight sourness of the dairy setting off the sweetness of the grapes, and the partly dissolved sugar giving it an almost alcoholic kick and richness.
I must make some when I've finished the trifle.
And try and remember what the other dessert was that made my heart leap up when I went in on a Saturday.

[ 26. December 2016, 18:02: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Kelly Alves, close indeed. I do not believe that she also added fruit cocktail, but this is a 50 year old memory so who knows. I think I will enjoy the memory does not sound like something that I really want to eat again.

[ 26. December 2016, 18:04: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There had to have been a dozen more hits I didn't bother to check-- this was just the first. I googled "Christmas hash-- cream cheese-- cherries". Poke around and I bet you'll find one that fits your memories!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four young adults borrowed my kitchen to bake on Christmas Eve. They made two discoveries:

A) that by varying the speed of my food processor they could make said food processor play Christmas carols.

B) that egg whites don't whisk properly when the whisk is constantly changing speed to play "God rest you merry gentlemen."

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Kelly - just reading the Heavenly Hash recipe is making my teeth hurt. [Eek!]

NEQ - [Killing me]

[ 26. December 2016, 21:21: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

.There is a reason for White Christmas down here. The weather is hot. 40° C; where I was yesterday for family Boxing Day meal. [Big Grin] No cooking involved in making it and definitely no oven needed.

That said, I do not like it as I prefer savoury food to sweet goo, and White Christmas is sweet,

But served on a lettuce leaf? That makes my mind boggle. Never seen it down here ever. The actual sweet seems to be fading from collective Christmas memory. I have not seen it in years.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Did one actually eat the lettuce? I was presuming it was a mere conduit. #neverheardofthestuff

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

This looks a pretty classic recipe to me, although I'm going on memories 5 decades and more ago. It's not ready to eat in 15 minutes as it needs time to set. Others online use white chocolate melts. They are a recent variation, white chocolate not existing back then. With the copha and the desiccated coconut, it's far from low cholesterol. It is something particularly attractive to children.

Never seen it on sale, but then again, I've never gone looking for it. Back then it was not limited to Christmas but would make a regular appearance at children's parties,.

It was always partnered with home made Rocky Road - another recipe that does not need the oven. You can do a more sophisticated version by substituting hazelnuts for the peanuts, or go very fancy and substitute 150 g or so dark chocolate for that amount of the milk. Or even do both.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, Turkish Delight in Rocky Road - not done that!

My sister was not impressed by copha (hydrogenated coconut oil) as an ingredient, though returned from Oz with a passion for Cherry Ripes (dark chocolate bar with glace cherries and coconut) which she transferred to me. I used to get a supply from the Oz shop in Covent Garden, but they've closed now, and only sell online. I see they sometimes supply copha as well.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D, looking at those recipes made my teeth hurt! The long ago child me would have loved those candies!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Gee D, looking at those recipes made my teeth hurt! The long ago child me would have loved those candies!

When you get around to making them, they are cut into rectangles about 5cm x 2 cm. Close enough to the golden mean.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016