homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
so that some song lyrics could be fit in 2 columns

Columns are sometimes more trouble than they're worth. I often prefer to insert a table with one row and as many columns as I would have if I were using the Columns feature. By default (I think) tables print without lines separating the cells, although you see the lines on the screen. If you want the lines to print, you have to change the table formatting.
That's actually a really good idea - and something I do on my own, at least. You also have to fiddle with the table properties so the cell margins don't mess up your spacing, but that's not too hard.

I doubt I could get my colleagues to switch to that, but really I tend to just quietly fix documents that end up full of detritus from copying & pasting and using older documents as a template.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I tend to just quietly fix documents that end up full of detritus from copying & pasting and using older documents as a template.

And Paste Special is your friend for that.

Sometimes if a document is really screwed up beyond repair, I'll just copy and paste the whole thing into a Notepad file, save the Notepad file in .DOC format (I still use MSWord 2003 -- no pesky .DOCX for me, thank you), and then reformat it from scratch myself the right way.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I tend to just quietly fix documents that end up full of detritus from copying & pasting and using older documents as a template.

And Paste Special is your friend for that.

Sometimes if a document is really screwed up beyond repair, I'll just copy and paste the whole thing into a Notepad file, save the Notepad file in .DOC format (I still use MSWord 2003 -- no pesky .DOCX for me, thank you), and then reformat it from scratch myself the right way.

Another good idea, thanks! Because, of course, you can't just copy and paste the whole thing into a new Word doc - it takes some of the crazy formatting with it. That was why I was copying & pasting piece-meal, to be sure I didn't grab any formatting. But it's more time consuming than your way, which I suppose I'll try next time!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firefox 57, if you type
code:
about:robots

where you type web addresses, a message pops up. Another message with
code:
about:mozilla

, which seems a little weirdly satanic; as far as I can tell there is no such book.

(Both are harmless and do nothing to your operating system or your confuser.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Book of Mozilla

---

I've been very foolish.

Very.

While I have been backing up my files, I have not been creating system restore points since 2015 apparently.

My PC is now in an infinite loop of couldn't repair your PC. These are the options I get, with Automatic Repair and Startup Settings only allowing restarts. For the first message to come again.

I did not create a boot disk/USB either. Yes, I only have myself to blame. If I download this, is there a Repair option that I could try? Or something else?

Or do I just count myself lucky I have my personal files and pictures backed up [I hope!] and re-install?

I tried running chkdsk /f in the Command Prompt and it did fix up some things, but I can find no way to get out of the, to me, infernal, repair loop. Something may well be wrong, but I'd like to see if I could at least load Windows and get some stuff off. Tapping F8 to try and enter Safe Mode does nothing. As soon as the press Del to enter BIOS message goes, Windows starts placing messages at the bottom of the screen that it is checking/doing things -- similar to this.

Thank you, o wise ones! [Overused]

[ 19. December 2017, 20:07: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What version of Windows? If you can boot to recovery console/command prompt try an sfc /scannow

There are also potential other options, but they depend on more detail (Windows version, precise error).

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, using phone and just back from the pub. Have followed links.now. Try the SFC command from Command Prompt.

Also, are you sure there are no restore points? Updates should create them automatically.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Snags. I'll try those when I get home before the New Year.

I thought I had Restore Points, but maybe it was only backups. I had an external hard drive connected via USB that I was backing up to. When Windows Repair came up with Restore points only the one from 2015 showed.

Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian, I am not a wise one, but a fellow sufferer. The screenshot looks like Windows 10? My laptop got into this loop and I, too, could not see restore points although I thought I had set some. I have a system image on an external drive, but it would not use that as a repair option.

I had to go for the Reset option - nothing else worked. Warning: that removed all the additional software I had installed, so you might want to start looking for any disks/download passwords you would need to reinstall.

I gave up and saved up for a Mac.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Back home. Sorry - Windows 10.

Thanks Landlubber; that is my fear. Luckily I've been backing up My Documents and Pictures, and at the Command Prompt I did a copy of all my personal files to a USB drive so they are up to date. Off to check for my install files...

Snags - sfc /scannow reported all is fine:
quote:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Windows could find no restore points except from 2015. I went to the external drive and my personal files were more recent.

Snags
# 15351

There is a repair install option, but it's badly named. I think it's the "Refresh" rather than"Reset" but read the options, carefully as one leaves data intact and the other doesn't.

Might be your best option.

There's also an old school registry restore you can do from the command prompt, but I'm not sure if it works the same on W10.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks Snags; I'll give it a go tonight.
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Win 10 installed, thanks Snags and Landlubber.

The option that left data intact refused to run, Snags. Just kept rebooting and going back to the Blue Screen of Unhelpfulness.

Strangely one program that worked on my previous Windows 10 install refused to install without error. I set it to be run compatible with W7 which seems to have fixed it. My previous Windows did a good job of backing up my personal files externally so I am happy and didn't need the manual copy I made earlier.

Thanks again.

[ 02. January 2018, 05:47: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I have this computer, see, and somehow it was set up with a partition, which suits me fine. Presumably it as so i could keep program files and data etc files separate.

But somehow my E drive, where I keep a million zillion photos and writings and everything that doesn't have Bill Gates' signature on it has become a half full 1.8 Terabytes, while the C drive, where Bill Gates tries to do his stuff, is a measly 99% full 110 Gigabytes.

What the?

Do I need to take it to a fixer, or is there a short process I can carry out so the C drive is a decent size again? [Help]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
So I have this computer, see, and somehow it was set up with a partition, which suits me fine. Presumably it as so i could keep program files and data etc files separate.

But somehow my E drive, where I keep a million zillion photos and writings and everything that doesn't have Bill Gates' signature on it has become a half full 1.8 Terabytes, while the C drive, where Bill Gates tries to do his stuff, is a measly 99% full 110 Gigabytes.

What the?

Do I need to take it to a fixer, or is there a short process I can carry out so the C drive is a decent size again? [Help]

Well, short of repartitioning, it will remain the same size. If you mean you wish to reduce the percentage full, there are a few things you can do.
In the Administrative Tools under the Control Panel, you can Free up disk space. This will get rid of Temp Files, Install files, etc.
If that doesn't give you enough space, you can uninstall programs and, if you need them, reinstall them on the E drive.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... done those (well, I think I have) ... so it looks like repartioning ... via an expert!

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... done those (well, I think I have) ... so it looks like repartioning ... via an expert!

BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST ! ! ! !

BTW, You will not gain space on your C drive by partitioning without destroying your data. You will still need to copy your data off and when it is copied back onto your new drive, the programs might not work properly. You might still need to re-install them.

[ 04. January 2018, 22:57: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Okay ... thanks ... my critical stuff is in the Cloud, and on a back up computer. I think I've covered my bases, though I really don't understand computers at all.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Hope it went well Zappa. Or goes well if it is yet to start.

Google Inbox website. Is there a way to mark a message unread? I am using Thunderbird as my client [IMAP] so I do it there, but just curious if I can mark them bold/unread in Inbox? Can't see an option.

I know this may not be efficient (suggestions welcome) but I like to mark items yet to be actioned/replied to as unread.

[ 15. January 2018, 05:17: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My query is about re-charging a Samsung tablet which I mainly use to borrow books from the Library using Overdrive.

I use the Samsung adapter supplied and plug it into the mains. Full recharging seems to take forever.

Should it make any difference if I have Wi-Fi connected? Or have it switched or not switched to airplane mode?

I routinely have Wi-Fi disabled and airplane mode on when reading because I remember being told it uses less battery power when using a kindle - is this accurate for a tablet?

Thanks for any help given and please keep answers simple for the technologically challenged
[Hot and Hormonal] [Frown]

Huia

[ 16. January 2018, 06:44: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am about to update to a new router. If I pass on or sell the old one, is there anything I need to do to it from a security point of view? E.g. I know about wiping the drive of an old laptop, but is there anything I need to do to the router?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I am about to update to a new router. If I pass on or sell the old one, is there anything I need to do to it from a security point of view?

I'd press the Reset button to restore it to Factory Default (thus wiping out any password change you may have made to the admin account and restoring it to the default password).

You may have to hold the reset button while recycling the power off/on. Consult the owner's manual for specifics.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

I routinely have Wi-Fi disabled and airplane mode on when reading because I remember being told it uses less battery power when using a kindle - is this accurate for a tablet?

Yes - any kind of computery device will turn off the power to the WiFi when it's disabled. Making heavy use of the network will use a lot more power than "not using the network" but having it turned on; having the WiFi on but "not using it" uses more power than having it off.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are using Windows, check that the tablet is actually switching off when you switch it off. This is in the Power Settings. The latest Windows updates are leaving the system set up so that shut down uses the fast start up option, which leaves too much running for the tablet to be able to charge properly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

I use the Samsung adapter supplied and plug it into the mains. Full recharging seems to take forever.

It could be that your charger or cable are damaged. I had a similar problem and found an app you can download which measures the charging current. It's called "Ampere". If your charger and cable are fine you should be getting over 1000 mA, but as long as you are getting at least a few hundred it's OK. I have a few chargers dotted round different rooms and at work. Some were giving me under 100 mA which is pretty worthless. Sometimes jiggling the connection helps, sometimes you just have to bin it.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonah and CK I think both the Windows thing and the cable may be at fault. The adapter has been a problem from the beginning as it was difficult to fit and the slightest movement nearby detached it.

As foe Windows I know that must be turned on at times because notification of Windows up dates mysteriously appear in the morning., and weird changes happen with the time/date configuration.

Thanks so much. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need some translation work done from Geek to English. I have always had a computer manager to buy the hardware I need to use.
But I am between jobs with a possibility of some freelance work.
I need a PC laptop (I am writing this on my Mac, but work has to be on PCs [Mad] ).

I have to run Autocad and some other building programmes. The Autodesk system requirements, CPU type says "1GHz or faster 32-bit (x-86) or 64-bit (x64) processor." What is the difference between Ghz and bit? The Autocad 2017 programme can be a 64 bit version can I run that with the 2.7GHz on the computer I want to buy?

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
I need some translation work done from Geek to English. I have always had a computer manager to buy the hardware I need to use.
But I am between jobs with a possibility of some freelance work.
I need a PC laptop (I am writing this on my Mac, but work has to be on PCs [Mad] ).

I have to run Autocad and some other building programmes. The Autodesk system requirements, CPU type says "1GHz or faster 32-bit (x-86) or 64-bit (x64) processor." What is the difference between Ghz and bit? The Autocad 2017 programme can be a 64 bit version can I run that with the 2.7GHz on the computer I want to buy?

GHz is the speed the processor works at, the number of clock cycles each second. 32/64-bit refers to the length of the word, the number of binary digits the processor can deal with in one go. Essentially virtually anything will meet the spec you've been given.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

64-bit refers to the size of the individual lumps of computational data the processor throws around. GHz refers to how quickly it does it, although it's not a totally linear measure, as a slower speed with more cores running software that supports multi-core will be faster than a higher speed with fewer cores etc...

However, it's a handy rule of thumb.

If the CAD work is 3D you may want to factor in a posh video card, otherwise on board graphics will probably be OK.

You will also want a reasonable amount of RAM (the space the bits are thrown in) and an SSD rather than HDD (type of main storage) will improve performance.

Hard to say more without knowing how demanding the work is. And how impatient you are [Smile]

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your replies - I would always have the computer with as much speed and memory as I can afford.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may at some point get a new deskie, which I imagine will be with Windows 10 Pro. Not a big fan of Windows 10, myself, but hey, what can you do.

Perhaps a partition with Linux might be nice? The HDD will be about 2TB, probably with a 256GB SDD as a starter drive. Additional HDDs/SDDs can be installed, there's room and slots for that.

Question 1:
How much HDD space would you reserve for a Linux installation? I guess this would then be 'dual-boot', won't it? (The new machine will come with Win 10 pre-installed.)

Question 2:
Can Linux access files on Win 10, and vice versa? By which I mean things like music, videos, office files - or would they neeed to be stored on each partition separately, Linus as well as Win 10?

Question 3:
One of my old and most useful external gadgets is a fabulous Voice and Fax modem with answerphone, which I like a lot. It worked well with Win XP, and it works nicely with Win 7 Pro/Ultimate on my current machines - provided they have a serial port. - I know there are connector cables Serial to USB. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Question 4:
Finally, I'd like to check on the Win 7 Ultimate deskie machine, which I may replace, if any further externals, like printers, scanners etc. are compatible with Windows 10 Pro. - Is there a decent Win 10 Upgrade Advisor out there? (I ran one from Win XP to Win 7 on that very machine, which did help.)

Many thanks to all. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found Windows 10 almost invisible, which is what an operating system should be. I tried to run a dual boot and found it frustrating as hell. I'm not sure why you'd want to. If you have one or two Windows programs you can't live without, you can always put them in a Virtualbox. Contrariwise Linux.

I have not found any reason to have Linux, frankly. I've run a few Linux boxes, and Linux dual boots, and Linux in Virtualbox. They offered no advantages over Windows that I could see.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think virtualbox is the way to go. It runs well boxing windows on Linux. I can't see that linux on windows would be a problem.

Linux can access FAT and NTFS files, but Windows can't access Linux EXTx files, so I would keep all your data in an NTFS partition.

Your new box can probably handle a heavyweight Linux Distribution, eg Fedora, Linux Mint etc. My Toshiba Netbook was always slow on Windows 7 starter, and painfully slow on Windows 10, but works reasonably well under Peppermint 8.

I need Windows only for MediaMonkey, but the OCR of MsOffice which came installed on a cheap 2nd hand laptop comes in handy, though that is meant to run on Linux. I have a 2.75 Gb dropbox installed on everything including my android phone so I can access all the files I edit there. I have also google drive installed and that has 14 Gb out of 15Gb still unused.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I have not found any reason to have Linux, frankly. I've run a few Linux boxes, and Linux dual boots, and Linux in Virtualbox. They offered no advantages over Windows that I could see.

Price. In my office we get HP laptops off lease for ~$150 (eg ncix or tigerdirect as they come up), put free Linux on them, add remote desktop and they connect to a Linux server running a Windows server (applications requiring it) and a Linux server both inside a virtual machine for filing. These have enough when 5-6 yrs from manufacture to run anything needed, like video streaming services like Netflix and Crave.

Yearly licensing costs went down by 90% and hardware by abt $300 per laptop because all programs are free and open source. There's also no virus stuff to worry about.

If you're just an end user, don't want to spend any effort, are okay with paying more for convenience, and don't mind built in obsolescence, no reason to bother. It's a bit like a holiday in an all inclusive resort versus arranging your own trip and exploring.

There are some lovely little computers for less than $15 like RaspberryPi which we use to automate some tasks. You can web surf, do documents, and watch videos but one thing at a time. They're really good for teaching coding to kids too.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Price.

I wouldn't say that others haven't found any reason. For my needs, price isn't enough. Open Office just is not a substitute for MS Office, and some rather weird software the school district uses that is only made for Windows is only made for Windows.

Further those who say there is no learning curve for Linux are liars. Just sayin'.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WPS Office is more compatible with MsOffice than Libre Office. Some may not like that it is Chinese software (what's hidden in the black box).

Very few people use the collaborative functionality of MsOffice. I used to when running Requirements and Design reviews in systems development, but that was in the late 90s. After that, the MsOffice technical skills of software developers tailed off. And writing excel macros was regarded by most as another language ;-)

Learning new operating systems always takes time. XP -> 7 -> 10; leaves many baffled and complaining and requiring training sessions. I always tell people to play with them, but many don't have the inclination or confidence.

[ 23. January 2018, 03:49: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I can't imagine what there is that's so hard to learn about Win10. I never interact with it except to find programs, and that's a breeze. Far easier than Win7. Otherwise it stays in the background and leaves me alone, like a good operating system should.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I an frequently surprised when, what appears to me to be a straightforward and simpler path to accomplish something, completely baffles others who have to be taught a new procedure and are not prepared to look up how the new OS works for that task.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was new in my current role I need to help one of the retired researchers (i.e. the USS pays them rather than the University). It was just on the changeover from Dos to Windows. She was struggling to use the new visual interface but went away totally happy when I showed her how to get into SPSS from the dos prompt so she could type in commands. Apparently, that was lots easier.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Indeed. What ever you start from tends to be what you judge anything new. I don't notice the user interface with Linux and I certainly do with Apple or any version of Windows. I do use Windows when I consult to a gov't organization. Just do what I have to and get out.

The other issues for us as a business is Microsoft's monetization and data mining. Not interested in any info going to any company, nor push updates which can be disruptive.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows got removed from my desktop system in 2006. I have never felt any real need to use it since. If you are thinking about trying it, by all means set up a dual boot system, but do think carefully why you are giving an alternative operating system a go.

You definitely need to have some genuine motivation and understanding of what you are doing and why. Depending on where you are coming from the learning curve can be steep. I would certainly suggest sticking with it for several months to give yourself time to develop new 'muscle memories' and understanding of the new system and the application software.

Definitely do your research, and if you can find someone who already knows the ropes and is happy to help, that may be very helpful.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
When I was new in my current role I need to help one of the retired researchers (i.e. the USS pays them rather than the University). It was just on the changeover from Dos to Windows. She was struggling to use the new visual interface but went away totally happy when I showed her how to get into SPSS from the dos prompt so she could type in commands. Apparently, that was lots easier.

I remember making that switch. For me, the hardest thing was learning to use a mouse. That particular kind of coordination wasn't natural for me.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where has my printer driver gone?

I am using a laptop running Windows 10, I have a collection of photos from an Aunt who recently passed away, but when I came to scan them nothing happened. I am using a HP all in one machine.

Going through Install New device does not seem to work.

Can anyone help? I last installed the printer on this laptop using Windows 8.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a cable to the printer? Sometimes plugging it into the computer / laptop makes the computer look for the drivers and give you advice on how to update drivers.

If it is not supported, you'll have to find the drivers on the HP site.

(My old Epson printer works wirelessly, but I have had to plug it into the laptop to persuade the laptop to upload the drivers for scanning. The tablet prints fine wirelessly, but I haven't needed to convince it to work with the scanner.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Search the printer by name and include windows 10 and compatibility. Hopefully they didn't obsolete-ize your printer.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all for the thoughtful advice to my queries here, re purchase of a new Windows 10 vs. Linux machine.

The Linux question I've put aside for now, after reading your comments. And playing with a Raspberry Pi could definitely be fun, so I'll see what comes out of that.

Concerning compatibility with Windows 10: I schlepped some hardware to one place of work, where we have Windows 7 and also Win 10 machines - everything connected well, so that was a relief! In addition, I invested a (reasonable) amount of cash to get time, hints and tips from a local computer shop, where they confirmed my observations. If need be, they are able to assist further. And things like their serial port-to-USB converters actually do work, they assure me. Good to have that local, professional uber-geek connection!

Talking with them, the question that arose of course was: do I buy a pre-assembled system (not from their shop), or set up my own machine from separate components; this was, and is, extremely tempting and had indeed crossed my mind. After careful consideration, we finally found that the overall costs would be about the same as the machine I had in mind, so I finally decided to buy the one out of the box. According to their suggestions, I did tweak a few things for best performance upon ordering, money well invested!

Invested, in fact, in this lovely high-spec beauty here. [Yipee]

Because, after nearly 13 years (which was May 2005), methinks I deserve a new desktop machine!

I should get it in a few days, and I may well report back. Beware. [Smile]

Thank you again for the useful tips! [Overused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the orientation of a Google map, i.e. so the long side is north-south rather than east-west but with the place names the right way up?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the orientation of a Google map, i.e. so the long side is north-south rather than east-west but with the place names the right way up?

Rotating my mobile works for that, so.... [Biased]

On my mobile now, so I I cannot check for sure, but is there a compass rose on the screen? If so, try clicking that. Or look to the preferences.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Got to a computer and Google maps doesn't appear to have that function. Google Earth does, however. That can be accessed through the Google Chrome browser or downloaded onto your computer and run from there.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Got to a computer and Google maps doesn't appear to have that function. Google Earth does, however. That can be accessed through the Google Chrome browser or downloaded onto your computer and run from there.

Google maps does seem to have that function on mine. But I'm using a Surface Pro 4, so that may have something to do with it. (The SP4 has the same positioning accelerometers that a smartphone does, whereas the average laptop doesn't.) If that's true you should also be OK on an iPad or Android equivalent).

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016