homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
It was mentioned to me that Barney Rubble has not aged well. What do you think of the hands?

He seems to have lost one finger entirely.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
But what comes out of his lips are (as Scripture suggests) very equivalent to what comes out of his other orifices.

Especially the one in front . . . oh, wait, nothing probably comes out of that one anymore. And I don't mean liquid waste.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Extreme vetting

Syrian refugees stopped. Citizens from several countries banned for 90 days.

Any news on what the replacement inscription on the Statue of Liberty will read?

[I'm not having a go at Americans btw; DT still has some way before he reaches the depths of our immigration system...]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The statue of liberty was a gift to the USA from France. It has lost its meaning - they should take it back.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If places T proposes to visit extremely vet *him*...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Oh for fucks sake. I'm quite confident Trump has not inspired his followers to read a book.

All I know is that sales of 1984 have increased. That doesn't mean the people buying it will actually read it. It can join the small selection of books his followers have on their book shelf, unread, that they say they know what it says and how it supports their political views. Like The Bible.
This is just too fucking stupid, Alan.

Having won the election, with their dear leader successfully installed in office and the hated opposition swept away, Trump's followers then celebrate by suddenly rushing to buy copies of a book that portrays the ultimate destruction of the human spirit by a totalitarian state?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the buyers are anti-Trump folks, plus people saying "wait a minute...", plus people who never read it and want to know what the fuss is.

I confess I've never read it, except for some quotes. Just how bleak is it? I'm kind of allergic to extremely bleak books, especially if there's no hope. (E.g. "Foucault's Pendulum".)

Thx.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Just how bleak is it?

[Killing me]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

[Razz]

I take it that means it's unremittingly bleak? If so, it stays on my "Uh, no, just no" list.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Razz]

I take it that means it's unremittingly bleak? If so, it stays on my "Uh, no, just no" list.

I would call it serious dystopian bleakness, and I didn't find Foucault's Pendulum particularly bad.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I'm concerned, Trump can Foucault-ff.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

SC--Thanks!

Wes-- [Biased]

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to get into the mindset, I wouldn't start with 1984 (which being good literature is always worth reading anyway). Start with Ayn Rand, probably "Atlas Shrugged".

Actually, scrub that. Don't read Ayn Rand. It's boring. Read some summary of her Objectivism by somebody else who has had to plough through the original. North American conservatism will lie gridded out before you.

The question of the modes of dereliction of the opposition to conservatism (cf. Orwell) is an interesting one too, but separate. Probably merits a separate mass hand-wringing, though I suspect covered elsewhere in part already.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Extreme vetting

Syrian refugees stopped. Citizens from several countries banned for 90 days.

Any news on what the replacement inscription on the Statue of Liberty will read?

[I'm not having a go at Americans btw; DT still has some way before he reaches the depths of our immigration system...]

It has been said that some US universities are advising staff from affected countries (who are legally in the US with appropriate visas) not to leave as they may not be allowed back in.

I've also heard it said (although with less solid verification) that there are some who have already left - for example to go to a conference - who have been prevented from returning to their families.

--------------------
arse

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard on the radio that Google has advised staff currently abroad to return at once.

If true, they've just moved off my don't use list.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's on BBC news (so it must be true...):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38781420

What will the mad tyrant do next, I wonder?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Just how bleak is it?

[Killing me]
If you only read the first 40% it's fine! It's about a guy who becomes woke and manages to snatch moments of joy in a harsh world - not too different to most YA post-apocalyptic fiction. You might seriously want to stop there if you're having a bad day.

For me, Animal Farm is almost as grim. Both are very powerful books.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
USA creates refugee crisis with invasion of Iraq. president trumpette now says refugees are someone else's problem.

"there's a war in our streets
and we're loading our minds
with the word self-defence
take someone's life for crossing over our fence
that's the freedom" (SOTW)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
If you want to get into the mindset, I wouldn't start with 1984 (which being good literature is always worth reading anyway). Start with Ayn Rand, probably "Atlas Shrugged".

Actually, scrub that. Don't read Ayn Rand. It's boring. Read some summary of her Objectivism by somebody else who has had to plough through the original. North American conservatism will lie gridded out before you.

I read some of Rand's tomes in my distant youth...not sure I ever finished one, they really are quite mind-bendingly monomaniacal and tedious. AIR, Rand's "objectivist" philosophy was based on reality, and rejected anything that claimed to transcend reality or contradict observed facts. I'm pretty sure she would have been horrified by Trump, but she wasn't entirely consistent in her thinking.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny you should mention "war in the streets" as Trump is using imaginary increases in urban crime as part of his justification for his draconian and fascist policies.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hamaseh Tayari, a UK resident who holds an Iranian passport, has been on holiday in Costa Rica with her boyfriend for the last week. She was due to fly back to Glasgow, where she works as a vet, this morning but was denied entry onto the flight because her flight went via New York and she would need a transit visa, which was revoked....

“I am destroyed. I did not know that I could cry for so long. It feels like the beginning of the end. How this is possible? I am really afraid about what is going on.”

Source

I can't find anything more to say beyond what is already in the link in my sig.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Mr Trump and Mrs May are now BFFs perhaps she needs to get him to let UK residents through.

Except, she won't because she's doing all she can to pander to the racists who don't want people like that, foreigners with their strange names and letters after their name, in the UK either.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How long will it be, I wonder, before Jews and Gipsies are banned from entering The Land Of The Free?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Since Mr Trump and Mrs May are now BFFs perhaps she needs to get him to let UK residents through.

Except, she won't because she's doing all she can to pander to the racists who don't want people like that, foreigners with their strange names and letters after their name, in the UK either.

According to the same site May, pressed by journalists, has refused to condemn this latest executive order.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Exactly. What's sauce for Pussygrabber is sauce for Wacky May.

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone explain how he gets to be leader of the free world if that free world has no choice about him and has to knuckle under what not a majority of his own subjects has chosen? Looks remarkably like dictatorship to me.
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy -

1. He's not the leader of the free world.

2. The world isn't being required to "knuckle under" in this instance. It's widely recognized that each country's visa policy is properly its own jurisdiction, regardless of how stupid, misguided, and vindictive that policy may be.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have read Atlas Shrugged. Don't bother. It is very long and boring.

The US hasn't been the "Land of the Free" since some of the restrictions after 9/11. Trump is not the leader of the Free World - he is the dictator in a large and nuclear equipped country.

Interesting question form the Purg thread - could Trump get a second term? Or are his supporters as appalled by him as his opponents?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it is time to drop references to "the free world" too.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me a little bit of one of Colin Forbes' novels......

The Power

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I have read Atlas Shrugged. Don't bother. It is very long and boring.

The US hasn't been the "Land of the Free" since some of the restrictions after 9/11. Trump is not the leader of the Free World - he is the dictator in a large and nuclear equipped country.

Interesting question form the Purg thread - could Trump get a second term? Or are his supporters as appalled by him as his opponents?

Depends if his opponents get up off their arses and VOTE. Always the bane of the left in this country. ("Left" such as it is.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I heard someone use the expression today. Or I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dick Cheney. Dick. Cheney.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is only one week (seven days!!!!) into the Groper in Chief's term. It is too soon to talk about his second term. [crosses self, avert signs, clutches crucifix]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So apparently being only 6/11th of the people killed in the Holocaust is not enough to actually use the word Jew in a statement about Holocaust Remembrance Day.

CNN page here

Nah, they will just be able to keep that alt-right Nazi dude at bay those Republicans.

So what if he's in on national security discussions and the top general isn't. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Incompetent Fascist Nazi loving ftards.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Dick Cheney. Dick. Cheney.
Hmm. Positively surprised. But that was December 2015. The wonderful thing about the sudden election of a pariah is many people's ability to rethink their reality and bring it into line with the new perceptions at the centre of power. So if D.C. were to renew his statement this week, I would be much heartened.

More frighteningly though, it shows that the far right wing of G.W.'s administration is considerably to the left of DT.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might wish to read the thread in Hell with Dick Cheney's name on it.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Ruth. Have in the meantime. [Smile]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

There's a crumb of comfort in the thought that if, before long, Pussygrabber brings about WW3, we'll all be in it together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs&nohtml5=False

IJ

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the same theme, WWIII is almost upon us by popular demand

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Tom Lehrer's retired now, of course (and nearly 90 years old), but, from his Wikipedia entry:

'Despite their topical subjects and references, the popularity of these songs has endured; Lehrer quoted a friend's explanation: "Always predict the worst and you'll be hailed as a prophet."'

IJ

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

Silly strategy - there'd be nobody left to congratulate you. It's better to preach that it will all work out after all in the face of certain doom.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Blessed are the strong, for they will tread the weak underfoot
Blessed are the rich, for they will become richer
Blessed are the perverts, for they will sexually assault
Blessed are those who close borders, for they will create terror which they will exploit for their benefit
Blessed are the bombs, for they will kill the innocent

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blessed are those who have kin in power, for they shall make out like bandits.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Blessed are the MILLION-PLUS in the UK who have signed a Petition to Prevent Pussygrabber Polluting our fair land by His Presence!

We are going to need an awful lot of Pink Pussy Hats - Brenda, start knitting.....

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've signed. And how very dare he lay down the rules for how he is entertained? I want to play the sovereign's private golf course! I don't want any talk about climate change!

Cue HRH: "I am so sorry, Mr President, but the weather has been so wet this year that the course is unplayable, and according to our Meteorological Office, is unlikely to be usable for the foreseeable future."

[ 30. January 2017, 13:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is there a handy link to the petition? I thought I'd get one from a Certain Source, but no.

IJ

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just search on petition parliament and up will come the "popular" ones running at the moment.

Latest figure is 1.25 million !

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks! All done - the figure is 1,300,000+ now - and I've emailed my MP.

IJ

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016