homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I liked gripe water. Dinneford's, no longer available. I could quite take to it as a party drink. Currently available versions not nearly as pleasant.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's rubbish, LVER, you can certainly have my sympathy and I'm sure we can muster up some green tea too. I'm with you on that: its slight bitterness is just the thing when you're feeling ill.
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
La Vie, sorry to hear you've been poorly - tummy bugs can be really horrid. Virtual tea and toast on their way. [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Congratulations, Piglet and D.! [Big Grin]

Are we allowed to ask the number of years being celebrated?

You are indeed - 29. [Smile]

We went out to a brunch buffet on Sunday after church, and if we're honest, it was a bit of a disappointment. We were rather late, but not so late that they didn't let us in, and I think they could have been a bit more gracious than they were. I went to the loo just after we'd arrived and when I got back the door of the restaurant (it was part of a hotel) was locked, and I had to make signs at departing guests that yes, I was going in and no, I wasn't all that late. Coupled with that, the staff started clearing plates and cutlery almost before we'd finished eating the course we were on, and started hoovering while we were still at our food. Not many points awarded there.

However, ...

This afternoon we took a wee jaunt down to St. Andrews (on the southern NB coast), and had a v. nice dinner in a restaurant there: shared cheese-and-charcuterie plate to start (with v. good bread), then Wiener Schnitzel for D. and excellent rack of lamb for me. Much better. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I liked gripe water. Dinneford's, no longer available. I could quite take to it as a party drink. Currently available versions not nearly as pleasant.

The taste of gripe water is my earliest memory!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had my first baby in Belfast, and gripe water is what kept me, my husband, and the baby sane.

I had the second in the US, and gripe water was not available. Fortunately her colic was very mild.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
29 years. Dear God, you get less for murder....

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I write this from a B&B in central Virginia, where we have come to celebrate our 40th anniversary with a mini-vacation capped by a supernally expensive dinner.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dinneford's was not the original gripe water - that was made by Woodward's and is still available.

One of mine suffered from colic and we used Woodward's - it worked!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brenda (congratulations, BTW), do please regale us lesser mortals with a description (leaving no details undetailed) of your Dinner.

Meanwhile, I shall go and scrape the Green Bits off the Episcopal Cheese, saving them for later, if I need penicillin...

Now, where did I put that last crust of bread....?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
29 years. Dear God, you get less for murder....

I've heard people say "if you'd killed him, you'd be out by now". [Killing me]

BF's right, Brenda - details of outrageously expensive food are always appreciated. [Big Grin]

Congratulations to you and Mr. BC!

By the time you read this, the lemon CAKE I made this afternoon should be cooled and ready for virtual tasting - help yourselves. [Smile]

It's ages since I made CAKE - this is the first one since we moved here nearly a year ago. I'm delighted to report that baking in the new château is far easier than it was in our old house, as there's loads of counter-space in the kitchen (and power-points in the right places). [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It tastes virtually the same as Lemon Drizzle CAKE!

CAKE, ALE, and GIN, are all proof that God loves us.

[Cool]

IJ

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...as there's loads of counter-space in the kitchen (and power-points in the right places). [Yipee]

The in the right places is so important! Running extension leads in the kitchen is a huge pain! - been there, done that in previous places but here we designed the kitchen ourselves so if they are in the wrong place we know just who to blame!

A little crisis just now with the twins having taken themselves off into a bedroom and then slid the bolt across at the bottom of the door. Whilst the men of the house and extended family were talking about how to break down the door with the least damage Herself got hold of a long steel tube and went round to the open window, called the kids to her so they were out of danger and unbolted the bolt, which has since been disabled.

I think sexist comments will be anathema in this house for a long time after that little episode.

[ 05. July 2017, 09:19: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something similar happened when eldest son was possibly 15 months old. He flipped a clip on the very old lock to the bathroom and was locked in. House was old for Sydnery, about 100 years then.

Fortunately there was a very large window over the wall and door into the hall. I too found a long piece of wood or metal, climbed ladder and leant through window It took a bit of manoeuvring, but I managed to push the lock open.

Lock was then fixed to allow door to open and close without actually locking.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It tastes virtually the same as Lemon Drizzle CAKE!

CAKE, ALE, and GIN, are all proof that God loves us.

Nah, if God loved us she'd have made CAKE, ALE, and GIN health foods!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to the Inn at Little Washington, which is in rural Virginia a couple hours south of Washington DC. The town is named thus because George Washington, in his earlier gig as a surveyor, laid out the place. Most of the other locales of the name, like the nation's capital or the Pacific Northwest state, are named in honor of Washington even though he had little part in organizing the place.
Here is the menu! My husband ordered the first sampler and I the second, so by sharing we got a good all-around tasting.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Wow, Brenda - seriously tasty (and pricey!) stuff....mmmmmm........

Boogie, CAKE, ALE, and GIN are all health foods/drinks. This is proved by the fact that one feels better after consuming them...

IJ

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder whether a lot of people in rural Virginia get to their 40th wedding anniversary. For any less of an occasion, that is seriously dear, I've never spent more than a quarter of that on a meal. Were there lots of people there ?

Of course I have heard of very expensive places over here too, but I've never been to one to see how busy they are or what kind of people go.

Cakes and ale I agree with but gin as Michael Flanders said is a drink I can well do without. Just a way of spoiling the taste of tonic water as far as I can see.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Brenda Clough - that menu sounds lovely. We (husband, son and I) have taken to going out to expensive restuarants to celebrate our birthdays. We went to a Michelin starred Indian one for mine in May. I'd never had a tasting menu before, but it was great. I really enjoyed having different wines through-out the evening and trying to identify what was in the various interesting plates that kept on appearing.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It books up solid six or eight months out. We went with two other couples and began setting up the event a year ago.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Forgot to add, we have never spent so much on a meal before and are unlikely to ever again.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I wonder whether a lot of people in rural Virginia get to their 40th wedding anniversary..

Of course they do.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... if God loved us she'd have made CAKE, ALE, and GIN health foods!

But they are!

Lemons are a fruit (so one of your five-a-day)
ALE contains healthy things like barley and hops
GIN is made from juniper berries, which grow on a bush, so another of your five-a-day.

Not to mention the slice of lemon in the GIN... [Big Grin]

Brenda, that menu looks utterly divine, but eye-wateringly expensive! Glad you and Mr. C. enjoyed it.

D. and I had planned to go back to Sam Snead's tonight for their (extremely good-value) steak night, but I took a bit of a gyppy tummy today (mercifully not something I suffer from very often), so we decided not to risk it. There's always next Wednesday. [Smile]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, that looks like a fabulous place altogether, Brenda.

Congratulations on your anniversary!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, looks great but my bank manager might react rather differently!

A friend's son runs his own place in Brighton [UK] and for his birthday chooses a different place each year to go and spy on the competition and his parents, crazy people, pay!

[ 06. July 2017, 08:34: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

CHOCOLATE is also a Health Food, and a gift from God, on account of being made from Beans, which are Vegetables, and therefore legitimately classed as one of your Five-A-Day.

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Er ... the NHS doesn't seem to agree.

I write this having just returned from eating delicious dairy (and thus obviously healthy) comestibles at a local ice-cream parlour.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, they do admit that beans (and pulses) are good, but that they only count as 1 of the 5, however many you eat. I guess that means topping up CHOCOLATE throughout the day with CAKE, ALE, and GIN, in order to achieve the 5.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
CHOCOLATE is also a Health Food, and a gift from God, on account of being made from Beans, which are Vegetables, and therefore legitimately classed as one of your Five-A-Day.

By this standard coffee also qualifies.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coffee (or at least good coffee) is ambrosial. Of course it's healthy.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As D. has just brought me a Timmy's™, I'll heartily agree with that.

And it was free, as they're doing a special Roll Up the Rim for Canada's 150th anniversary, and I gagnezed un cafe. [Yipee]

It's been very warm here today - currently (at about 8:30 p.m.) 25°, so I've had a fairly lazy day apart from filling up the birdie feeder and doing a spot of ironing.

D. has been buying different sorts of bird-seed, which seem to last longer than the original stuff we bought - maybe it's so warm that the birds can't be bothered to eat!

We seem to be getting a wider variety of little feathered friends at the birdie bistro - grackles, cowbirds, sparrows and mourning doves (which I've decided should be called hoover birds, as they seem content to eat up the seeds that fall on to the deck, because they're too big to perch on the feeder).

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have a seed tray (with attached roof) stuck onto my office window with plastic suction cups. It is 2 stories above the ground, and I get tufted titmice, chickadees, various woodpeckers, blue jays, cardinals and bluebirds. There is a difference between winter and summer customers. I get one demanding chickadee, who complains and even bangs on the glass if the seed runs out, and I have named him the Angry Chickadee. The bluebird is of course the Bluebird of Happiness.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend, K, had the day off so we took a trip to Cartwright Hall, basically Bradford Art Gallery. A new David Hockney exhibit for the artists' 80th birthday started today. There was also a whole gallery given over to the work of local children of all ages.

I know there's not much use for food talk on this thread, but I have to tell you we followed the trip with smoked salmon, and lingonbery cheesecake at the nearby Ikea.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Very healthy, though - Fish and Fruit!

[Biased]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The bluebird is of course the Bluebird of Happiness.

So not this famous little guy then?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Is he the avian equivalent of the Grumpy Cat?

Actually that's unfair to the wee bird - I think he's rather cute. [Smile]

D. kicked off this summer's Music at the Cathedral concert series today; for the last 20 years or so there have been Friday lunch-time concerts given by assorted local musicians during July and August. The series was well underway when we arrived here last July, and D. decided that he'd start a regular organ recital on Fridays (which started in Advent and have kept going), so it seemed logical for him to do the opening concert of the season.

It was well-attended: as well as our "regulars" there was a goodly crowd who have presumably been regulars of the summer series over the years. It was mostly quite light-hearted (he billed it as "Music for an Estival Festival") - he opened with The Liberty Bell (complete with solo piglet on handbell [Big Grin] ) and ended with the Fantasia on British Sea Songs by Henry Wood, as played at the Last Night of the Proms. The audience joined in with enthusiastic foot-stamping during the Sailor's Hornpipe, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

There are all sorts of things lined up for the rest of the series - singers, guitarists, bassoonists, pianists, you name it - so it should be quite an interesting summer.

[ 07. July 2017, 22:08: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Same breed, but because I feed them they are less surly.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Very healthy, though - Fish and Fruit!

[Biased]

IJ

Precisely. Also the dill in the sauce is a green leaf, which I've been led to believe are healthy...

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He opened with The Liberty Bell (complete with solo piglet on handbell [Big Grin] ) and ended with the Fantasia on British Sea Songs

But no big squidgy foot as per Monty Python? [Devil]

Sounds as if you had an excellent evening.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Kerala Tourism has upgraded us on their three point scale from Silver to GOLD!!

quote:
Bow, bow, ye lower middle classes. etc.
This is very nice of them but I'm not 100% certain we deserve it plus, of course, it means we have to pay more for our annual registration!

Last night I sent off email invitations to friends in Foreign Psrts to the Big Party a week tomorrow for the twins 1st birthday so lots of very nice refusals in my inbox this morning - we would be im a right pickle if they had all decided to accept!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First birthday party!! Happy birthday to them, but goodness that seems to have gone quickly.

Well done on the gold accreditation. Even if they charge you more for it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Happy birthday twins!

We are sixty in two weeks (my husband and I) and, since we can't abide surprises, we have organised a Big Birthday Bash with function room, food, cakes, bar and balloons! My husband's covers band is playing.

100 guests are coming and our house will be full of 6 German visitors for the weekend (friends we've made on our many trips to Heidelberg )

I'm looking forward to it - I think!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

The photographer who took that owns the copyright, and he has made a mint. He has mixed feelings about this; he is a very serious bird photographer and works hard to photograph various species engaged in their normal behavior.

He noticed the mad bluebird and snapped it on impulse. Now he has made far more money from this than from what he considers his best work.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
He opened with The Liberty Bell (complete with solo piglet on handbell [Big Grin] ) and ended with the Fantasia on British Sea Songs

But no big squidgy foot as per Monty Python?
No. That would have been Silly. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Kerala Tourism has upgraded us on their three point scale from Silver to GOLD!!

quote:
Bow, bow, ye lower middle classes. etc.
This is very nice of them but I'm not 100% certain we deserve it ...
I'm sure you do - congratulations! [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Thanks for the earworm! [Big Grin]

Another hot day here (27° at the moment). D. decided he couldn't really put off cutting the grass chez Piglet any longer, but did it in two stages*; while he was doing the first stage I cooked lunch, and cleared up afterwards while he was doing the second.

He's discovered that part of the lawn isn't just grass, but tiny little wild strawberries. At the moment they're only about the size of a coffee-bean (and rather cute), but v. sweet.

* It has to be done like that anyway, as the mower's battery life is just too short to do the whole thing in one go. [Roll Eyes]

[ 08. July 2017, 21:09: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O what a shame - part of the lawn is actually a Wild Fruit Garden, and therefore should not be mown over...

Still, comfort yourselves with the thought that the wild strawberries count towards your 5 a day.

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There's a thought - if he left the wild strawberry "patch", would the battery life be long enough?

Sadly, I suspect that the estate-management people might have something to say if the whole lawn wasn't cut. [Frown]

Another v. warm day - according to Environment Canada it's currently 24° although I reckon it's hotter than that, and it was very hot and sticky in church this morning.

The Diocese here runs a Choir School at a boarding-school out of town in the first week of July, and they're singing Choral Evensong at the Cathedral this afternoon. I was planning to go (D. and I haven't been involved, but he's playing the prelude and postlude at the service, and feels he ought to be there to Show Willing) but I really don't relish the thought of sitting in that heat again.

The lure of the air-conditioning chez Piglet is just too strong ... [Cool]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

27 degrees C here! Humid and sticky - not Nice at all, with Thunderystrums forecast for tomorrow, so painting of the rest of the Episcopal Palace is not likely to proceed.

[Frown]

IJ

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A trip to the supermarket this afternoon very much done en famille - the blessing is that it is about 15 minutes car ride away which is just long enough for the kids to fall asleep and then be carried, still sleeping, around the store on a parental shoulder whilst I, almost as blind as the blindest of proverbial bats, push the trolley up and down the aisles.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

With someone else putting things (e.g. fresh mango, and ice cream) in the trolley meanwhile, I hope!

My daily shopping trip this morning resulted in the purchase of bread, cheese, potato/carrot/swede mash, a bottle of single malt WHISKY (Aberlour, one of the fruity Speysides, for them wot knos), and two bottles of nice traditional CIDER, as immortalised by the late, great, Adge Cutler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7onOJ-QgXY0

Cheers!

(Mind you, I'm sure that, back in the days when I went a-folk singing, it was the milk maids that got rolled over in the clover, not the churns. That would be Silly.)

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Oh, and remembering Adge Cutler reminded me of this song, in Bristolian, rather than English!

Thee's Got'n Where Thee Cassn't Back'n, Hassn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKjwOLiBTg

Ah, happy days....

(And this must be the only song ever written about the problems of car parking in Bristol and Paris).

BTW, did you hear the story about the lass who walked into a pub, and asked for a Double Entendre ? The barman gave her one.

I'll get me coat...

IJ

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our thunderstorm was apocalyptic [Help] The most rainfall ever recorded in the space of an hour. The roads and pavements were like a swimming pool. Apparently at one point the fire brigade were so overwhelmed that they asked people to stop calling for anything except emergencies.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016