homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread is dragging me back into my anecdotage, yet again... Many years ago the Kirkgate Bar, almost across the road from Marischal College in Aberdeen, several times had an anonymous keg of powerful cider. When we heard about it, we were over there after the noon lecture, and lost the rest of the day on account of remarkably small quantities of it. It was cloudy, gloriously tasty and diabolically strong. I don't think I've drunk cider since then. If they serve cider in Heaven it will be a lot like that. What the rest of us will get in the other place is anybody's guess.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps what was once known as cider down here many years ago, but is now known as sparkling apple juice? Tastes more like sugar than apples.

[ 20. March 2017, 20:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Ah... This has finally cleared up my confusion as to why someone in a Heralds of Valdemar book was drinking cider when in the infirmary and wishing for alcohol.

In the UK that's just called apple juice, possibly with 'cloudy' on the label (but equally possibly not).

In the US much of the apple cider sold has been pasteurized or had a preservative added. If you buy untreated cider and let it sit, it will become alcoholic.

Living in New Hampshire, I learned that the best cider is made with at least three different varieties of apple.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only time alcohol has made me ill was 2½ pints of something cloudy that could almost be cut with a knife. The name, Black Rat, should have been a clue.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
... I still ended up with the room rotating round me ...

Been there, done that, got the paracetamol. [Eek!] Thankfully, the last time was probably about 20 years ago.

The dining-table chez Piglet has now been assembled, accomplished by D. in about 10 minutes with hardly any swearing (especially when I suggested that the tool-box might have the sort of Allen key that was needed, which it did).

We now have an enormous pile of dismantled boxes on the kitchen counter ready to go either back to the movers if they'll take them, or to the recycling centre if they won't. Once they're out of the way, the kitchen/dining-room is going to look really rather nice (and our fears that the dining-table wouldn't fit when fully extended came to nothing).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
D. has contacted the movers, and not only will they take the dismantled boxes back, they'll come and collect them. [Yipee]

They're going to contact him, which may mean an earlier-than-planned start at some point, but it'll be worth it.

We were emptying the last box with pictures in it this afternoon and discovered another casualty - not a picture, but D's crumhorn, the end of which has got broken. [Waterworks]

Not quite sure how they managed that, as it's made of plastic ... [Confused]

I think it's as well we're going to return Tabby to the care of her usual humans in a week or so; one of the "sidebar" adverts just said "What is your Car Worth?" and I read it as "what is your cat worth?".

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news about collection, Piglet. Those flat boxes are hard to manoeuvre . Sorry about another breakage.

[ 21. March 2017, 20:36: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A plastic crumhorn?

Not a Renaissance-period original, then...

...though it's still a shame it got broken.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a rum 'un, that crumhorn.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It wasn't just the room rotating. I managed to stumble back two doors to my home, up the two flights of stairs, and dropped on the bed, completely without any control over myself for some time after.
I tried to recall the name, to avoid it thereafter, and have never, ever, drunk anything without a meal since.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't like Kopparberg fruit cider, it tastes tinny. My mum in law likes the non alcoholic version which tastes like expensive Vimto.

I do quite like Rekorderlig fruit cider though. I think of that in the same category as Belgian fruit beers - a proper drink rather than an alcopop.

[ 22. March 2017, 11:07: Message edited by: Gill H ]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You'll have seen the news from Westminster. Just letting you know I'm fine. Had a lunchtime meeting so wasn't in Parliament Square as I normally would be at that time on a Wednesday.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My office is just near Whitehall, am also fine.

Lots of sirens and helicopters.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hugal and I both work nearby - we're fine.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Thinking of you all.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have just posted on prayer thread but am very glad to see these posts from Shipmates.

Terrible.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear from those of you who are in London and are OK; prayers ascending for those who are not. [Tear]

Gill's post about Belgian fruit beer has reminded me how nice the raspberry one was - I wonder if we can get it here?

Boxes now all gone except for the picture ones (which got forgotten about) and a couple that have been used as general dumping-grounds. We've now had a session of hanging pictures and it's really beginning to look the way Château Piglet should. [Smile]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I now have an image of Chateau Piglet looking like a smaller version of the Louvre.... [Eek!]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not quite. [Big Grin]

We do have quite a few pictures (wedding presents, farewell presents, you name it), but we're gradually finding the right places for them. Several of them are temporarily on nails that the previous owners had hammered into all sorts of odd places on the walls, but will be positioned as we want them once the painting's been done.*

D. having discovered a large plastic sack full of Small Bears, I spent a pleasant while this afternoon rehousing them.

* The plan was that we'd paint over the rather nasty yellow in the kitchen and hallway before the furniture arrived, but we were scuppered by the 2½ feet of snow that fell a couple of days before, and everything ground to a halt. [Mad]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Perhaps we could send you our current easterly wind (the Very Breath Of Sauron) to blow away the sn*w?

IJ

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I still have pictures in a box which have not yet been hung in the present Chateau StEverild...and we have lived here for nearly 11 years....

In my defence, some of them need to be hung away from sunlight and too much light, which is not good for prints and pictures....or embroidery and tapestry either, come to that...

Nice sunny day here now

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suspect that we have a few pictures that never made it on to the walls of the former Château Piglet as well.

There's also a rather nice print of part of St. Magnus Cathedral which hasn't even made it to Canada. A few years ago, D. played for the wedding of the organist's daughter, and as it was a favour to a friend, the "payment" he received was this lovely print. Alas, it's just too big to fit into any of our suitcases, and it's been reposing at D's mum's house ever since, as we haven't quite worked out the best way of getting it over the Pond. Taking it on the plane would be really awkward and having it sent by post or courier would probably cost an arm and several legs. [Eek!]

BF - thanks, but you can keep your easterly winds to yourself. [Big Grin] After a couple of rather blustrous days here, it's calmed down considerably; the Weather Channel actually described the wind speed as "calm" yesterday, which is a rarity indeed.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I hate the east wind - it makes my ears feel far too tight...
[Frown]

IJ

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banned from banging nails into walls, yet very grateful for some picture rails.....i am now flummoxed by the loss of our old and beautiful brass picture rail hooks.

So our pictures will have to continue sitting there on the floor....

[ 25. March 2017, 11:24: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O woe. Only for a while, though - surely new old-style (IYSWIM) picture hooks can be purchased? No substitute for the Original Brass Ones, I know...

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

BF - is this the sort of thing you mean? And are they any good?

I'm messing about here while D. plays for the Holy Joes' annual service to mark the feast of St. Joseph, then heading to the farmers' market to get some charcuterie - the chutney I made should be about ready to eat, so it'll need some company.

Then with any luck I'll be able to persuade him that going to buy some paint for the new château would be a good idea. [Roll Eyes]

eta: that's just reminded me - we need to get some more picture-hooks, so we'd be going to the hardware shop anyway ... [Big Grin]

[ 25. March 2017, 13:24: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, this is what I was thinking of:

Picture hook

(O rats. Could some kindly Hostly Person please shorten the link? My brain hurts today....)

These are hangy or dangly, rather than sticky, things. Much kinder to the décor!

IJ

[Link shortened - Piglet, AS host]

[ 26. March 2017, 15:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
O woe. Only for a while, though - surely new old-style (IYSWIM) picture hooks can be purchased? No substitute for the Original Brass Ones, I know...

IJ

I think Ethne Alba means her* owned. As from a big DIY chain I found Brass Effect Picture Hooks and one's that claim to be brass from a former bookseller

Jengie

*Guessed pronoun - no insult intended.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, that's them! I've some of the brass effect type myself - I think they might even be genuine Olde Ones, inherited from My Old Mum. I must purchase some Brasso, and some Elbow Grease to go with it.

Even if they're just 'brass effect', £2.21 for 10 is a good price.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... I must purchase some Brasso, and some Elbow Grease to go with it ...

Where do you buy the elbow-grease? Can you buy it in bulk? I could do with some ... [Big Grin]

D. got our picture-hooks in the dollar store, where they probably cost about $2 for really quite a lot.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that question was asked by Charles Pooter in "The Diary of a Nobody" many years ago!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Elbow-Grease is available from the same shop which stocks Holes For Bus Tickets, Polo-Mints, and Fishing-Nets.

Every town should have one, and, whilst you're looking for it, I'll get me coat...

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That must be where you buy the round tuits, which are essential at the beginning of any task. How often, when someone asks you when you're going to fix something, do you say, "I'll get a round tuit."

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never gotten a round tuit.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have any idea what someone who herds pigs might be called (I don't mean Bob or Steve)?

We had our spring mini-fayre yesterday and are left with half a pig's worth of pulled pork. I've made a non-shepherd's pie with it today, but am unsure what to call it.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The same shop also stocks Lerts, as in 'Keep a Lert'...

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

ArachnidinElmet - swineherds?

IJ

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swineherds, question mark unnecessary.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
That must be where you buy the round tuits, which are essential at the beginning of any task. How often, when someone asks you when you're going to fix something, do you say, "I'll get a round tuit."

I had On in the 1970s. They were everywhere in gift shops with a message similar to the above printed on it. Mine was a plate.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from the works outing – three days skiing in the Alps. I’d never been on a pair of skis before and didn’t find the first day very fun, with a big group and too much falling over in the snow. The monitors decided to start by only putting us on one ski to learn to balance, which I conclude is harder than having two skis [Eek!] . I liked it better on the second day when the group had lost two thirds of its members (either because they were partying until 3 am and didn’t get up or because they didn’t enjoy it the first day) leaving the courageous few with much more personal attention from the monitors. After that I started to get the hang of it and managed to get down the (admittedly quite small and pathetically unslopy) hill all by myself without falling over or breaking any limbs which is good enough for me [Smile] .

Saturday afternoon was a team-building exercise involving things like sledging and playing golf in the snow. Would have been quite fun had the weather not been ghastly with lots of the white stuff falling out of the sky. OTOH the massive snowfall (apparently 60 cm on the highest slopes and even a good 20 cm lower down) meant that it all looked very pretty on Sunday morning. I managed to sneak off by myself (introvert heaven!) to the village in search of Savoyard cheese to take home and procured a very yummy chunk of Abondance. I will leave you to imagine the smell ten hours later when I opened my suitcase [Biased] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah - memories of my first skiing holiday in the French Alps, at half-term, February 1989! To my great surprise, as a complete newbie, I found I was actually quite good at keeping upright, and going at a fair pace down some very slopy slopes...

Can't recall any particular cheese, but lots of cafe noir and cognac seem to be stuck in the memory, along with Dr. Rosie, a GP from South Wales who was also in the newbie class...

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Swineherd Pie it is, thank you, Bishops Finger and Gee D. I pronounce it a tasty success, whatever it's name.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... without falling over or breaking any limbs ...

I've never skied, but I think that would be the definition of a good skiing holiday. [Big Grin]

Talking of sn*w, it's been falling here in gentle flurries since about lunchtime but appears to be easing off a bit now. Hopefully it'll not be enough to necessitate shovelling ... [Eek!]

"Spring", my fat aunt. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. So I'd probably best not mention the glorious blue skies and sun in central Scotland today. Washing dried on the line, and I even needed to break out the sun cream for the Elf Lass earlier.

Today's the last forecast good day for a while though, I gather.

In other news, our back court appears to have been adopted by a stray rabbit, we suspect it is from a gang of them who live in a nearby cemetery. When we had an allotment we had to try and rabbit proof it (wire fencing going several inches below the surface of the ground, etc), but I never imagined having to rabbit proof a 1m x 2m raised bed in a tarmacked back court.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
... I'd probably best not mention the glorious blue skies and sun in central Scotland ...

No need - I was speaking to my sister (in Edinburgh) yesterday and she gave me chapter and verse.

Enjoy it while it lasts! [Big Grin]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My awesome sister-in-law is visiting Paris from California! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

She is coming round for dinner tonight and there is a damn tasty coq-au-vin waiting in my fridge. I’m so proud of it I’m probably going to end up eating grass like a donkey or something.

Big question: do I buy foie gras on the way home? That I am buying dessert from the patissier’s goes without saying [Big Grin] Also the Savoyard cheese isn't finished and an excellent bottle of Burgundy will be making its way up from the cellar. I love France.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... Big question: do I buy foie gras on the way home?

Absolutely. [Smile] And some nice bread to eat it with.

Hope you and your sis-in-law have a great time - the food sounds excellent.

We were singing/playing for a funeral at the Cathedral this morning, and I'm just dropping in after the reception, which was held in the hall (where D's office and the computer are).

I really ought to b*gger off now and start organising things for our friends' return on Friday - do a spot of cleaning and tidying up, and pack up our clothes and bits and bobs so that we'll be ready to move in to the new Château Piglet on Friday.

Beginning to get excited ... [Yipee]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Does anyone have any idea what someone who herds pigs might be called (I don't mean Bob or Steve)?

We had our spring mini-fayre yesterday and are left with half a pig's worth of pulled pork. I've made a non-shepherd's pie with it today, but am unsure what to call it.

A person who herds pigs is called a Swineherd.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jengie jon.....you are correct [Biased]

+ i do mean those types of picture hooks....only yes, they were ours...old....somewhat battered,,,,and Brass.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O what a glorious, balmy, sunshiny Spring day it has been here in this sequestered corner of an otherwise benighted country! The east wind (aka Breath of Sauron) of earlier in the week has become a gentle south-westerly zephyr...

Mind you, I gather that school holidays begin (for some) tomorrow, so We Shall Pay For It, You Mark My Words (again)...

In other (but related) news, I find that our local Co-Op is selling a most refreshing light Golden ALE, just the job after a saunter from the Bus Stop.

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016