homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The old ones are still the old ones, aren't they?

Anyway, we really need to head to Clapham Junction

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is probably not very safe but how about

North Sheen

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two options at this point - to do as did the veteran German player Ken Zincktonheisstriet did at last year's European symposium, and basically throw a hissy fit...

...or to play Tottenham Court Road and await the fallout from those diagonals.

Oh, and that means that the Northern line has castled and the Central Line's in Nidd.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RooK to Knightsbridge

[ 04. December 2012, 14:54: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
RooK to Knightsbridge

I saw what you did there.

Barking, and down the snake you go!

You need a six to start again.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

[Snigger]
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Six Mile bottom

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sevenoaks.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Five Ways

You forgot it's a Tuesday! Nyer-nyer-a-nyer-yer.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Earl's Court
From where you can go three ways - up, down or sideways. (Remember to check the colour of the interior metalware before boarding.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Upton Park

because I'm feeling bloody grumpy.

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sure you will agre that the next stop should logically be "Downton Abbey".

So off we go to Horsted Keynes which was used in the series.

** Nerd alert!!! **

Although I do not know how a Southern Railway (post-1923) locomotive hauling Metropolitan Railway carriages could possibly represent a country station in Yorkshire in 1916 (and yes, I am thinking of series 2)!

Anyway, the Cotswold stone was all wrong.

** Alert ends!!! **

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... Hard to imagine Jesus being born in Essex - where'd you find three wise men? ...

Point of order:

Under amendments brought in under the Race Relations Act (Unkind Remarks Made About Minorities) 1984 KLB should miss a turn for disrepect to Essex Men. I married one, and (obviously) he's very Wise indeed. Anyway, they came from the East, and Essex is as far East as you can get without running into Baptist Trainfan.

Just to prove my point: Epping [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I, too, was born in Essex but I'm not sure which side of the arguments that supports.

Staying with God's Own County - Hainault

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Essex is as far East as you can get without running into Baptist Trainfan.

Not true - there's always Lowestoft (change at Ipswich for the East Suffolk line, new hourly service starts on Monday now that they've completed the Beccles Loop!)
Shipmate
# 76

Dear me! Are we really going to re-enact the Daily Fail reader's wet dream that was the Aylesbury Extension Fracas of 1997? Isn't the canonical view still that although old William "Wimble" Don could have been more careful with his choice of jokes and anecdotes, he didn't really intend any offence towards the inhabitants of the Isle of Wight, and no-one really thinks there's any actual truth in the old "daughter was his sister and his son was his brother" jokes about the good citizens of Shanklin.

Everyone knows that's Ventnor.

The fuss that was made is possibly the only real example of "Political Correctness Gone Mad" there's ever been. Common Sense does appear to have been restored however and the one about the Yorkshireman, the ewe and the hot water bottle told the following year by Lou Isham at Rochdale was both hilarious and received without incident. Well, if you don't count the Tetley's Enema, but that was just high spirits.

In honour of which:

Ryde Pier Head

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wigan
If that's not too Orwellian for this stage of the game.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Very good. I see what you did there, as they say.

Am I correct that all lines are now out of Nidd. If so, doesn't the first person to say:

JINX!

get a free pass to Rayner's Lane, Ł200 for passing Go, and get a special +5 against attacks from the Elemental Plane of Earth for the next three segments?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

That sounds positively Meridianic, if not Elliptic, especially as we are so close to the Winter Solstice. Clearly a trip to the Royal Observatory is what is required - I think that Maze Hill might be a shorter walk than Greenwich itself, but you'll still need to climb the Hill.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

K:LB - I can't recall at the moment - was the Tetley's Enema beer or tea?

I think we are being called back to Essex and Rainham, which was always referred to in my childhood when travelling backwards and forwards to Fenchurch Street, as Rainham Marshes.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

It was beer, of course. I have never been able to decide which would be worse.

Goodge Street, btw.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

From Rainham?

Good grief!

Oh well, if you want to be like that then

Enfield Lock

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's at times like this that I recall the move made by the great George Stephenson, (who started life as an amateur trainspotter before moving to a more dignified hobby), when playing against Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (portrayed marvellously by Sidney James in the epic biographic film Carry On up the Severn).

A move that IMVHO should have been recorded among the greats of the time. In memory of these two determined players I give you

Monument

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very definitely

Paddington

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That leads me inexorably south of the river [sorry about that but then I believe some people actually have to live down there!] to

Surrey Quays

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember that film. With Barbara Windsor as Queen Victoria and Hattie Jacques as Disraeli.

But anyway -

Penge West

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, I suppose Harold Wood...

...he always struck me as that sort of chap.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

A bit like Stan More, then.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Are we playing word association or Mornington Crescent?

Mudchute will soon put a stop to that. Red chip, please.

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A red chip you say Chorister? I believe that according to the Mrs Trellis amendment we should land on

Debden

putting zones 1, 3, 4 and 5 in nidd between 03.00 and 13.37, excluding bank holidays and major saints days.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
East Molesey

Don't get your Hampton caught in the door on the way out! [Razz]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
East Acton

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think this calls for something a little drastic

Roding Valley

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ah, the infamous Fairlop Loop Night-time Reversal, designed to swap your "A" end with your "D" end and turn all your comings into goings.

You do realise that the Piccadilly Line folk have to copy, don't you? Heathrow Airport Terminal 4.

Assuming, of course, that there is no snow on the runways to add to the confusion.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Now I am in a quandary, partially caused by watching Portaloo wandering England [& the Continent] with an elderly Bradshaw and wearing MOST unsuitable clothing for someone who would purport to be a gentleman.

So, it has to be a diagonal from there, should I go up or down?

I know:

Knockholt

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

You could always see-saw, Wodders.

Anyhow, time to move north to Crianlarich

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Due to an unprecedented number of Golden Haggi on the Line, last-minute diversion to Gretna Green. Bonus points for elopement.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Due to an unprecedented number of Golden Haggi on the Line, last-minute diversion to Gretna Green. Bonus points for elopement.

The plural of Haggis is clearly Hagges, not Haggi - only second declension nouns take a plural in -i, and they all end in -us or -er in the nominative singular, never -is. Nouns in -is are almost invariably third declension masculine or feminine and take a plural in -es.

Which means I can play Birmingham New Street and start to bring things to a more exciting pass.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Since when has Birmingham New Street been exciting?? I've spent far too many bored hours there waiting for a Norwich train.

Anyhow, I think we'd be much better heading for Rhyll

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Since when has Birmingham New Street been exciting?? I've spent far too many bored hours there waiting for a Norwich train.

Anyhow, I think we'd be much better heading for Rhyll

Are we getting crossover from the pedantry game here?

I'll see your Rhyl and raise you Penrhyndeudraeth

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

This is all going to end in tears and
Dovey Junction

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Llaniog Station , home of Ivor The Engine. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Llareggub

You know why.

[ 06. December 2012, 21:39: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Resorting to inverse vulgarity is really not tha answer, KLB, no matter how carefully you disguise it to look like a place in Wales. Back north, I think, to boldly go* even further than Kingsfold did:

Thurso

* I know, I know ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Showing my age, I suppose, but, considering the time of year and the possibility of inclement weather north of the border I think we need to head south again via Manchester London Road.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Resorting to inverse vulgarity is really not tha answer, KLB, no matter how carefully you disguise it to look like a place in Wales. Back north, I think, to boldly go* even further than Kingsfold did:

Thurso

* I know, I know ... [Roll Eyes]

ACtually, Thomas did a bad job there; for one thing you never get a double g in Welsh, and what he put down would actually be pronounced Hlarreggib.

Hyde Park Corner

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Do you know, I suspect that a moment of sanity may have actually prevailed?

But for those allergic to Christmas crowds:

Berney Arms - for the windmill.

Told you it wouldn't last.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Aha, the Windmill Connection takes us up to Merseyside and Bidston

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

moving east...

Cullercoats

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Which brings me neatly to Purfleet

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016