homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Miscellaneous questions of a liturgical nature (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Miscellaneous questions of a liturgical nature
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since Gaudete Sunday is coming up - do shades of rose for vestments vary much? It seems that out of the four main liturgical colours, only green vestments vary much in hue.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Since Gaudete Sunday is coming up - do shades of rose for vestments vary much? It seems that out of the four main liturgical colours, only green vestments vary much in hue.

I've seen Pepto-Bismol pink "rose" vestments, and I've seen ours, which are of a slightly orange salmon-like hue, and the orphreys are a dill-like green. Sounds weird, but as salmon and dill go well together, so do those two colors. Have a look.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

I'd say red's the most constant. Purple's the hardest to match when you have two people wearing vestments not from a set, as there are so many shades of purple around. White should be simple, but white vestments are rarely pure white, so it's the other colors (including any yellow/gold) that ends up varying. Red tends to just be red though.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I'd say red's the most constant.

Hmm, Passion red? Martyr's red? Palm Sunday red? dark red? bright red? Fire engine red? Post boz red? I'd say that red has about as many difficulties in matching as the other colours - maybe black and Lenten array are about the only two 'fixed' - though I'm more than ready to be shown to be wrong (again!)

[ 13. December 2013, 02:19: Message edited by: Emendator Liturgia ]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oblatus

Those vestments are ORANGE. You can say salmon all you like but the only kind of salmon that colour falls into the category "cheap, smoked". And Dill the colour of those orfrey's would be long past its best.

Rose colour vestments should have the gentle hue of sloe gin and water 50/50. Ideally Laetare vestments should have purple or mauve orfreys.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd say those vestments are coral but certainly treading a fine line between pink and orange. A nice colour but not sure I'd approve of their use for rose vestments.

Has anyone seen a darker rose used?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Roman rubrics and related documents actually use the word violet, rather than purple. Still, I have seen numerous hues of this, including an attempt to say that the violet in Advent should be lighter than it is in Lent. This is not supported by the rubrics or any other document from the Holy See.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Went to a wedding on Saturday- lovely service- but slightly surprised to see the Vicar in eucharistic vestments (the usual stuff: cassock-alb, stole, chasuble), although there wasn't a nuptial Mass.

Is this - specifically the chasuble- as unusual as I think it is? We're talking AffCath CinW, btw.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Perhaps his other vestments were at the cleaners. [Devil]

(I'm afraid I know nothing about these things).

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
Seems a bit strange to me, never come across this before...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post 
Yes it is definitely as unusual as you think, IMHO!

Eucharistic vestments with no Eucharistic celebration? As odd as someone wearing a diving suit on a train.

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The cope is worn in place of the chasuble if the service (nuptial or otherwise) is non-eucharistic. Any cleric wearing a chasuble for non-eucharistic worship, is IMHO going one-step-too-far trendy.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vicar probably thought, "If everyone else is dressed to the nines, by golly, I will be too!".

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He could at least have gotten out his biretta.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two years ago, as I reported here, Solemn Evensong for Candlesmas Transferred at Truro Cathedral was presided over by a priest in a red chasuble.

I appreciate that was not Boring Middle of the Road, but it was still unnecessary, to my mind. Just because Rome would use a Gold cope, doesn't mean you can't.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

She hasn't got one, AFAIK.
She's a very good Vicar and I have a lot of time for her but she can be a bit random at times. Still, that's part of what makes her what she is.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Rose colour vestments should have the gentle hue of sloe gin and water 50/50. Ideally Laetare vestments should have purple or mauve orfreys.

It's very Eccles to describe vestment colours by reference to gin! [Overused]

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

She hasn't got one, AFAIK.
She's a very good Vicar and I have a lot of time for her but she can be a bit random at times. Still, that's part of what makes her what she is.

Laughs, indeed. This is what happens when you let a priest dress themself. She was already attired when I entered the vestry and I was in off duty mode and didn't think chasuble for wedding= odd I'm afraid, even when I entered duty mode to sort microphones out.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Rose colour vestments should have the gentle hue of sloe gin and water 50/50.

Water in sloe gin? Sacrilege!!!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Posted this a few days ago but it ended up at the bottom of the last page and I think it got missed.

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
When I'm serving I sometimes find that the priest moves on to the offertory prayers before I've got the lavabo ready, but they've fitted it in after the offertory prayers. Well, the starting on the next bit before the lavabo happened today except in that order there aren't any offertory prayers, so what she started on was the sursum corda, so I put down the lavabo, but she'd noticed me getting ready and so stopped after the sursum corda to do the lavabo. I felt this was odd. What do others think?

Carys

Realised today there is an offertory prayer in that order, but she skipped it.

(This is a different church/priest to last post)

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't generally have lavabos to worry about but my take would be that once you've started the Eucharistic Prayer you carry on unless you discover a major omission (bread or wine for example!).

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:

When I'm serving I sometimes find that the priest moves on to the offertory prayers before I've got the lavabo ready, but they've fitted it in after the offertory prayers. Well, the starting on the next bit before the lavabo happened today except in that order there aren't any offertory prayers, so what she started on was the sursum corda, so I put down the lavabo, but she'd noticed me getting ready and so stopped after the sursum corda to do the lavabo. I felt this was odd. What do others think?

Carys

We usually have the lavabo between the incense and the "Suscipe, Sancte Trinitas"--i.e., after the offering of the elements. It kind of makes sense that you'd rinse your hands after handling the thurible.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is one of the reasons why using different orders is such a singularly a bad idea: we spend so much time thinking about how to do it that we forget to remember that we are doing it.

The ritual impedes the myth, when it is supposed to serve it.

Then when we have broken the integrity of the whole, we set off in search of strange forms of meditation to recover the mindfulness we lost by mucking around too much with the rite, one, two, three, and 3A.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
This is one of the reasons why using different orders is such a singularly a bad idea: we spend so much time thinking about how to do it that we forget to remember that we are doing it.

The ritual impedes the myth, when it is supposed to serve it.

Then when we have broken the integrity of the whole, we set off in search of strange forms of meditation to recover the mindfulness we lost by mucking around too much with the rite, one, two, three, and 3A.

Vox clamantis in deserto!

(a voice crying in the wilderness)

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree. The point about having ritual directions is that you don't have to take any notice of the ritual for its own sake.

The question is which ritual directions to choose, and even before the liturgical movement there were always options and nuances.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question about adding saints to the Eucharistic Prayers used in the Episcopal Church. I'm not being too exhaustive here, but I know in Prayer B and D in the Book of Common Prayer and Prayers 1, 2, and 3 in Enriching our Worship allow for this. My question: is there any order, rhyme, or reason, beyond adding the saint whose day is commemorated? In Christmas is it usual to add Mary and Joseph? In Advent, John the Baptist? Also, is there a formula? Must Peter and Paul always be included? Or the patron saint of a church?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NatDogg:
I have a question about adding saints to the Eucharistic Prayers used in the Episcopal Church. I'm not being too exhaustive here, but I know in Prayer B and D in the Book of Common Prayer and Prayers 1, 2, and 3 in Enriching our Worship allow for this. My question: is there any order, rhyme, or reason, beyond adding the saint whose day is commemorated? In Christmas is it usual to add Mary and Joseph? In Advent, John the Baptist? Also, is there a formula? Must Peter and Paul always be included? Or the patron saint of a church?

Our celebrants' standard practice is to say, "...the ever-blessed Virgin Mary; St. Anne, her mother; St. Michael the Archangel, our patron; and all your saints..." Our parish is served by the sisters of the Order of St. Anne, and the parish cornerstone was laid under the patronage of St. Michael the Archangel. Other saints having to do with the day, such as St. John the Baptist last Sunday, are added at the end. One former priest associate at the parish would always add the saint of the day after St. Anne, thus always ending with St. Michael, possibly for better flow. I do that pattern at Evening Prayer when there's a similar spot (Suffrages B, for instance).
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I would expect Mary to be added at every celebration. There seem to be two schools of thought,either naming her first or last. Both patterns are presumably meant to give her star billing.

I don't know about TEC, but there's no official guidance on this question in the C of E.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Yes, at my church Mary is always added, with St Paul our patron and any saint being commemorated that day, if there is one.

Naturally, evangelical churches in the CoE do not mention Mary or individual saints, if they mention saints at all.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend is to be priested in January and would value an ordination gift with a bit of history, rather than out of M*****s catalogue. I vaguely recall hearing years ago of somewhere that adopted 'pre-loved' mass sets, vestments etc and sold them on to deserving causes.

Ring any bells with anyone?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
A friend is to be priested in January and would value an ordination gift with a bit of history, rather than out of M*****s catalogue. I vaguely recall hearing years ago of somewhere that adopted 'pre-loved' mass sets, vestments etc and sold them on to deserving causes.

Ring any bells with anyone?

French Treasures may be the site you are thinking of. They used to be very much specialized in French RC vestments of the pre-Vatican II era, but they seem to have branched out, so you can now find Gothic as well as Roman chasubles, etc...
Luzar Vestments is another site, one which I just stumbled upon via google.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NatDogg:

I would not go so far as to call it a formula - it isn't in the rubrics- but in my experience when specific saints are mentioned in Prayer B the form used is The Blessed Virgin Mary, then the Parish's patron saints, if any, and finally the saint of the day. So in St. John's Church on December 6 the form would be "with the ever Blessed Virgin Mary, the holy saints John, St. Nicholas and all your saints". I can't recall a saint of the day ever being mentioned on a Sunday that was not a patronal festival. Of course, in Prayer D, if you mention any saints at all, you must put the Blessed virgin first, and mention many categories of saints, before you come to any specifics. I suspect that any priest low-church enough to omit the Blessed Virgin is also low-church enough to object to mentioning specific saints at all.

[ 24. December 2013, 18:04: Message edited by: Try ]

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
History of Church of England/Anglican vestments after the Reformation but prior to the Oxford Movement (what is now called Anglican "choir dress"):

Did Anglican choir dress, other than the surplice, just come from academic dress?

I can see the surplice as having become the norm for what clergy wear to Sunday services because it was not explicitly associated with a Sacrificial Mass like a chasuble or with an ordained priesthood like a stole - but was tippett, which largely replaced the stole until the Oxford movement, something taken from academic wear or did it come from somewhere else? Was it associated with preaching before it began to be used in the Church of England? Before scarves like it began to be used by Protestants?

As for a bishop's rochet, chimere, and canterbury cap - was there any ecclesiastical use of these - especially in worship - before the Reformation? Were they academic dress, choir vestments, clerical street wear, or fashion that lay people wore as well? When did they start to be worn in worship? Did they originally represent anything other than the office of bishop?

Academic hoods, I assume, started out in universities and began to be worn by Anglican clergy as evidence of the education that gave them authority to preach. Is this true? Is there anything more to how they began to be used in worship?

I could ask similar questions about preaching tabs, for those who wore them. Did they originate in academia? Were they stricly associated with the reformation?

I know that prior to the Oxford movement (and until much later in many places) Morning Prayer was the principal Anglican Sunday service. However, when Holy Communion was celebrated, how long was it after the Reformation that surplice (possibly with tippett and/or academic hood and/or preaching tabs) for priests/ministers and rochet, chimere, canterbury cap (was this worn in worship?), etc., for bishops became the norm to the exclusion of all other vestments even at the eucharist (with the exception of copes in some places)? I know there was a dispute over legally authorized/required vestments up to and during the Elizabethan settlement but when did the controversy die down and a period of relative vestment conformity set in (with the exception of Puritans who preferred no vestments at all)?

When did ministers in the C of E stop wearing different vestments for Holy Communion than they would at other worship services? When did chasubles, maniples, mitres, croziers, etc., stop being used? I know Ritualists argued they were never prohibited, but prior to the Oxford movement, did most Anglicans believe that they were prohibited? If so why? If not, why didn't they wear them?

Should this have its own thread?

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was anyone watching 'Call the Midwife' on Christmas Day? Did anyone spot what I think was quite a serious liturgical error, a special Christmas gift to ecclesiastical nerds everywhere?

Answer tomorrow.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I noticed that in the church in which the (Church ofEngland) wedding scene was set the altar was placed as for ad populum celebrations - an anachronism.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
I noticed that in the church in which the (Church of England) wedding scene was set the altar was placed as for ad populum celebrations - an anachronism.

Bang on. I'm surprised it's taken all day for someone to spot it. Award yourself six gold candlesticks.

There was a reference to girls all wanting a wedding dress like Princess Grace's. That dates the episode as in 1956 give or take a few months.

In the 1956 CofE, whether you were high, low or whatever, altars were virtually invariably up agains the far eastern wall with a communion rail in front of them. At that date, I'd query whether anyone had even thought of laying them out any other way, rather than arguing about how many candles they should have on them or where the priest should stand. They didn't start being moved forwards so that he could stand behind them even in the most progressive places until the 1970s.

The one in the wedding also didn't have a rail. Altars without rails aren't that usual even now, but I'd recall them as being as good as unknown then.

So as anachronisms go, this is even more serious than a railway engine in the wrong livery or the wrong sort of aeroplane in the wrong war.

There was a smaller anachronism in that there was a Dansette in one scene. They may have been available that early, but they really belong to the next decade.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope you've written to the producers!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently the episode was dated 1958 according to the RT. Nave altars were extremely rare in the late 1950s, but not unknown. I have seen a picture of a westward-facing Nave Altar celebration from that time in St Mary Primrose Hill (for the family service) and several other London churches began using them experimentally in the early 60s. Of course, these were makeshift ones that stood in the Nave for the service and were then wheeled - or carried - away. IIRC St Paul's Bow Common also opened in 1958, with its revolutionary new design. But despite all this, communion was always received kneeling at a rail.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lay person question, hope it hasn't been asked, I did read back a few pages -- all praise to the moderators.

After my Lutheran pastor puts the wafer into my hand and says her line, I turn toward the assistant (the silent acolyte?) with the cup for intinction. At that point should I say "Thank you," or "Amen" or nothing at all?

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
amen or nothing

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most Lutheran liturgical books will give a direction like "The communicant may respond, 'Amen.'"

It's all a matter of personal devotion. In many Lutheran churches, it runs from people crossing themselves and saying amen, to people simply receiving and walking away. Do what feels right to you, and be assured that you're free to do so. Luther himself clarified this--that acts of devotion or piety are neither forbidden nor essential.

(Edited to add: I've never heard Thank you, so you might get an eyebrow raise or two, until people become used to you. I have heard Thanks be to God on a couple occasions.)

[ 29. December 2013, 15:47: Message edited by: Olaf ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Lily Pad and Olaf. I usually say "Amen," but never hear anyone else say anything so maybe they're just very soft spoken or "nothing," is the custom in this particular church. I was raised Methodist so Lutheranism is all new to me.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Thanks, Lily Pad and Olaf. I usually say "Amen," but never hear anyone else say anything so maybe they're just very soft spoken or "nothing," is the custom in this particular church. I was raised Methodist so Lutheranism is all new to me.

Even I give a soft spoken amen. When it comes to action with the liturgy, Lutherans tend to be quite soft-spoken, almost apologetic. We are also very hesitant, thus explaining why we do not enthusiastically stand or sit even though we know very well when to do so. Instead we wait for someone else to start it.

Our soft spoken ways do not extend to budget meetings, coffee hours, or gossip.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As Garrison Keillor says, those people who go crazy with an assault rifle in a local grocery store are never Lutherans: Lutherans just wouldn't feel comfortable drawing that much attention to themselves. [Smile]
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A quick question regarding (Catholic) Morning and Evening Prayer for January 2.

There is a Memoria set down that day for St Basil and St Gregory Nazianzen in the General Calendar, with Propers for the Benedictus anthem and the Concluding Prayer. The Ordinary?/Proper? for January 2 in Christmastide also has a Benedictus anthem and Concluding Prayer (among other things) set down for the same day.

Given that an Obligatory Memoria in the General Calendar (as is the memoria for St B and St GN) outranks a weekday of Christmastide from January 2 onwards - and given that paragraph 126 C of the Introduction says that the Concluding Prayer on an obligatory memoria is taken from the Office of the Saint - WHY does the office for 2 January specify a Concluding Prayer (and Benedictus anthem) when these are ALWAYS going to be outranked either by the memoria for St B and St GN in the General Calendar, or by some higher ranking celebration in a particular calendar?

Am I missing something? The Concluding Prayer of the office for 2 January in Christmastide appears to be a prayer that NEVER should be said. Why then is it there? Have I misunderstood the rules governing precedence and the celebration of memorias in Christmastide (from 2 January onwards)?

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll use that prayer (the Jan-2 prayer) to conclude the PotF at Mass, thus situating the Memorial within its seasonal context.

[ 31. December 2013, 13:02: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
We'll use that prayer (the Jan-2 prayer) to conclude the PotF at Mass, thus situating the Memorial within its seasonal context.

As a general note, that approach would also allow you to commemorate several unrelated saints whose days happen to coincide (e.g. 20 January has two optional memorias - St Fabian and also St Sebastian).

Presumably the Opening Prayer at Mass on 2 January should be from the Proper for St B and St GN, rather than from the Thursday in Christmastide between 2 January and Epiphany?

My particular puzzle, though, concerns Morning and Evening Prayer: why do they provide a Concluding Prayer for 2 January in Christmastide when you should always use the Concluding Prayer from the Proper for St B and ST GN on that day (or else the Concluding Prayer from some other celebration, like a saint in a particular calendar or - on a Sunday - the Concluding Prayer from the Second Sunday after Christmas)?

This has me stumped.

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
My particular puzzle, though, concerns Morning and Evening Prayer: why do they provide a Concluding Prayer for 2 January in Christmastide when you should always use the Concluding Prayer from the Proper for St B and ST GN on that day (or else the Concluding Prayer from some other celebration, like a saint in a particular calendar or - on a Sunday - the Concluding Prayer from the Second Sunday after Christmas)?

This has me stumped.

Perhaps it allows for transferring the feast day to a Sunday for a patronal festival? Do patronal festivals get transferred in the Catholic Church?
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:

This has me stumped.

Perhaps it allows for transferring the feast day to a Sunday for a patronal festival? Do patronal festivals get transferred in the Catholic Church?
That's an interesting thought.

As far as I can see, being the "Titular of one's own church" (=patronal festival?) would plausibly elevate the saints' day to a solemnity, and that would take precedence over a Sunday in Christmastide.

I haven't found any indication that it could be transferred to another day, such that the ordinary 2 January would be celebrated instead, but Epiphany is often transferred to Sunday, so maybe it is customary for some other solemnities to be transferred in a similar fashion. This is not a subject I know much about. I only have the book with Morning and Evening Prayer and the rules provided in the introduction and calendar.

The possibility of the saints' day being celebrated on (transferred to) another date, such as you have suggested, is the only solution I can see at present.

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Year = time for a new miscellaneous thread, no? [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A quick question sparked off in my mind by Forthview's questions about Pope Francis.

Is it 'allowed' for a cantor to sing the Eucharistic preface if a priest can't sing?

I know in Cathedrals of the Church of England lay people sing the priest's part in Evensong if the priest can't. Does that happen at the Eucharist?

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:
A quick question sparked off in my mind by Forthview's questions about Pope Francis.

Is it 'allowed' for a cantor to sing the Eucharistic preface if a priest can't sing?

I know in Cathedrals of the Church of England lay people sing the priest's part in Evensong if the priest can't. Does that happen at the Eucharist?

Nope. Certainly from a Catholic perspective, it cannot be done, as the preface is a priestly prayer. It is part of the action of the anaphora.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016