homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Apple Pie and Baseball - USA 2014
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although generally a fan of roundabouts in UK there are some "New" towns that have millions of them that seem to breed overnight and they are Hell-on-wheels! Slough and Stevenage most readily come to mind.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Slough and Stevenage most readily come to mind ...

... or Hemel Hempstead.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Washington, D.C. has a lot of traffic circles, but they have a much larger diameter than those elsewhere. They seem to work better.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I so agree Moo. I came of age driving in Washington D.C. No problem with the circles. I now live on the West Coast and there is a small traffic circle in a near by town that freaks me out. I feel like I am driving into one of those carnival rides where everyone drives little cars around trying to bump into each other. In the case of traffic circles size does matter. [Ultra confused]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like the theory of traffic circles, but the only small one I can think of nearby is a bit concerning because cars regularly drive around it the wrong way!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Although generally a fan of roundabouts in UK there are some "New" towns that have millions of them that seem to breed overnight and they are Hell-on-wheels! Slough and Stevenage most readily come to mind.

Another reason I'll never drive in Great Britain, besides the driving on the left thing and the fact that I'll probably never have the means to get there. [Frown]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every time I wait at a stop light with no other traffic in sight, I wish we had more traffic circles. And we could afford them. The trial lawyers' association would gladly subsidize their installation. After all, using one requires far more knowledge and judgment (especially if they have more than one lane) than stop lights.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I like the theory of traffic circles, but the only small one I can think of nearby is a bit concerning because cars regularly drive around it the wrong way!

We have a few in Britain that permit that! They are large roundabouts with five or six smaller ones where each road adjoins it. The roundabout becomes a (sort of) circular two-way road, except you have to negotiate a mini-roundabout to get on and off.

Serious problems arise with longer vehicles, out-of-towners and anyone who cuts across the mini-roundabouts.

The major argument for roundabouts in and around towns is to provide a convenient U-turn if you miss your junction.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
Every time I wait at a stop light with no other traffic in sight, I wish we had more traffic circles. And we could afford them. The trial lawyers' association would gladly subsidize their installation. After all, using one requires far more knowledge and judgment (especially if they have more than one lane) than stop lights.

JB, we have roundabouts with lights! Some have peak-hour/part-time lights such as those just outside my place of w*rk which also has pedestrian-controlled crossings on two of the approaches to the roundabout (oh, and a bus-only lane, with lights controlled by the bus driver!)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

There are a couple of small ones down the road from my house, but apparently the natives got to confused, because they now proudly sport 4-way stop signs, rather defeating the point (and causing an interesting logical quandary for anyone who understands that a roundabout at the intersection of two roads isn't a 4-way junction at all - it's four 3-way junctions with traffic entering the roundabout yielding to that already on it.)
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
got to confused

I could swear that that had two 'o's when I typed it...
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Washington, D.C. has a lot of traffic circles, but they have a much larger diameter than those elsewhere. They seem to work better.

Moo

Pierre L'Enfant, who designed to layout of Washington, thought that the circles would be valuable in case the city was invaded. If you have your guns in the middle of the circle, you can train them on whichever street the enemy is approaching on.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This discussion has become very topical: on the local news here tonight they reported on the City Council debating whether to remove the one roundabout they've installed (at a cost of $60,000) in St. John's because people don't know how to use it.

They even had footage of some blithering idiot in a truck going round it the wrong way, even though there are chevrons to show you which is the right way ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Moo

Pierre L'Enfant, who designed to layout of Washington, thought that the circles would be valuable in case the city was invaded. If you have your guns in the middle of the circle, you can train them on whichever street the enemy is approaching on.

Moo

Now that's the best justification I've ever heard for those things. Almost thou persuadest me to become a roundaboutian!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings from Juneau! The closest thing we have to a real city in these parts.

Chasee#3 swore his oath to uphold the constition, etc, this morning. Also known as getting his citizenship. He was born up in Whitehorse on Sept 18, 2001, so needless to say his paperwork got all screwed up at the time. 12 years on, he's no longer the family's little token wetback. (though INS, godlove'em, lost his paperwork so apparently it will be in the mail.) he was by far the youngest and only anglo being sworn in.

Here's the thing- find out when your local federal courthouse is having one of these ceremonies and attend. It's awesome. i won't lie; I cried a little. It's a little different for my kid ("everyone please stand and tell us where you're originally from." "Uh... Talkeetna?") but for some of those folks it was the culmination of a pretty epic journey. The speeches, the oaths, the music, the stories.

I came over all patriotic and shit. Thing is, despite our problems and differences, we're a pretty cool place. I don't even know how to say what I feel without drowning all of you in cliches. Yadda yadda melting pot yadda yadda equality yadda yadda opportunity yadda yadda liberty.

Just go to one of these things before you die. It's kind of beautiful. And I speak as a classic sour old bitch.

Now we're sitting in the park with the drunks, reading our books and waiting for tonight's ferry home. Thankfully it's not raining; C3 wore his pinstripe suit for the occasion.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There's a (British) chap in our choir who'd lived in Newfoundland for almost 40 years, and married a local lady, but hadn't got round to getting citizenship, and when he did, we went to his ceremony (we were fighting for our Permanent Residence at the time and it was an uphill struggle). We're hoping that it'll soon be our turn - we've been here nearly 11 years and had PR status for nearly four, and we're thinking to apply for full citizenship probably next year when D. turns 60 (when our friend applied they told him he didn't have to sit the test as he'd turned 60).

Having said that, with our luck in these matters they'll change the rules again and we'll probably have to sit the bloody thing in French ... [Help]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I become eligible to apply for naturalisation when I'm 71, should I live that long, which suits me fine as if I applied at under 70 I would have to show competence in an Indian language - as I can barely manage English this might have caused a problem! It's a bit bizarre as I could have chosen something like Assamese which is spoken a couple of thousand miles away from here!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(cross posted with the Indian wetback) [Big Grin]

I had that thought today... Our legislature voted this year to make all Alaskan Native languages (13, I think) our "official" languages. I was imagining how looooooong the ceremony would take... Thankfully this was Da Feds who still fear anything non-english.

When your time comes I'd love to hear about the ceremony there. We can compare notes. [Biased] and I know it's perverse, but I'm a little heartened to hear the red tape next door can take as long as ours.

As a side note, while hanging in the park with the drunks (we're still here!) two Canadian destroyers(? I actually have no clue. Fighty People Boats) came into harbor, with accompanying helicopters. Myself and one of The Drunks decided to call it The Maple Invasion™. You heard it here first, folks. [Big Grin]

[ 15. May 2014, 03:10: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That was the Canadian navy, Comet. They fairly get about - they were in St. John's last week.

[Snigger]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

speedy little suckers. was that the whole thing? [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think "I hope not" is the correct answer to that question ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
speedy little suckers. was that the whole thing? [Biased]

Nearly. The last 4 governments have been downplaying and undercutting the Navy.

But I am in agreement with pigliet [Frown]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you know what day this is????
Everyone still here?

JUST CHECKING! look here for the answer

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last time we talked about NoCal wildlife, it was tigers.

This time nobody gets killed, but they did get video. A couple of paddleboarders had a very close look at a pair of whales off San Francisco. Cool footage.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today is Day 1 of the great new series Churchgeek: Road to Motown.

[coding]

[ 22. May 2014, 06:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Day 2: CG has reported she has made it to Santa Barbara! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

This does not mean we are off prayer duty, folks she has 2 weeks to go...

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for safe and happy travels for Churchgeek.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Church Geek, good to hear you were in Santa Barbara: it's a lovely county, home the world's safest public beach (Carpinteria State Beach) and former home to me and my late mother. I hope and pray you arrive safe and sound in Detroit later this month!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Late double-post, courtesy of today's Telegraph:

"A gunman went on a drive-by shooting rampage in a Santa Barbara student enclave and at least seven people were killed, including the attacker.
Investigators in the United States believe a gunman driving a black BMW acted alone in the shootings late on Friday night near the University of California, Santa Barbara."

I hope to God that my friend CG has left the area. I am praying she is alive and well.
[Votive]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
Everyone still here?

JUST CHECKING! look here for the answer

Camping had originally said the world would end in 1994. That obviously didn't happen. Later he predicted that Jesus would return on May 21, 2011, and that the world would end six months later on October 21, 2011. When Jesus didn't return, he revised his predictions again, and after those didn't come true, he recanted the whole thing, saying that no one could know when the end would come. He's the one predictor of the apocalypse who actually came out and said he was wrong not only about when the world would end but wrong about thinking he could know all this in the first place. (How do I know? The guy I'm dating studies apocalyptic movements.)

On another note ... [Votive] for those in Isla Vista last night.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Late double-post, courtesy of today's Telegraph:

"A gunman went on a drive-by shooting rampage in a Santa Barbara student enclave and at least seven people were killed, including the attacker.
Investigators in the United States believe a gunman driving a black BMW acted alone in the shootings late on Friday night near the University of California, Santa Barbara."

I hope to God that my friend CG has left the area. I am praying she is alive and well.
[Votive]

Still in town, as far as I know safe in a friend's house-- her last post was 6 hours ago.

So good to have solid evidence of her safety.

Prayers for those affected in Santa Barbara-- the victims, their families, and the gunman and his family. And for the community as a whole.

[ 25. May 2014, 00:13: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(.. and she just checked in a couple minutes ago! [Yipee] )

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:

Yes! It's Towel Day!!!

Took mine to church. Told the choir it was Towel Day and they thought maybe they had missed a mission request! Actually, that's a good idea. I'm going to suggest it to the Mission Committee for next year.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Day 9: Churchgeek is on her way to Santa Fe!

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The travels of Churchgeek - today to Denver.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Keep her safe, Elmo!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Day 14 (yesterday) she checked in from Wisconsin . Almost home!

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I went on a Senior Center trip yesterday to two churches in North Carolina that have frescoes painted in the 1970s and 1980s.

In one church the fresco was of the Last Supper. It was very well done, but it didn't inspire me. The other church had two wonderful frescoes. Behind the altar was a fresco of Christ on the cross, and behind him, larger and paler, was Christ the King. I have never seen those images juxtaposed, and I loved it.

The other fresco that I loved was of Mary, pregnant. I have never seen a representation of Mary pregnant. Now that I come to think of it, many in the church seem to feel uncomfortable with the idea. Mary with a baby in her arms is what people like to see. Mary with a bulge is something else.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know you folks were talking about me here! Thanks for the prayers. My trip's going quite well. I'm in Chicago now, staying with Mamacita. Last night I met Bullfrog and Gwai and their little ones as we all had Chicago-style pizza for dinner.

Kelly had told me how great the Chicago Shipmates were, and it got me thinking that I should've come bearing the Nth Epistle of Kelly Alves to the Shipmates in Chicago, which might begin something like this:

quote:
Kelly Alves to the Shipmates in Chicago. Greetings! I rejoice when I think of you, and what a cool bunch of people you are. I am sending churchgeek to you; receive her as you would me...
Well, I guess we'd have to let Kelly say how her epistle would go.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now I'm in Detroit! Back home to stay. [Yipee] [Big Grin] [Cool]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I didn't know you folks were talking about me here! Thanks for the prayers. My trip's going quite well. I'm in Chicago now, staying with Mamacita. Last night I met Bullfrog and Gwai and their little ones as we all had Chicago-style pizza for dinner.

Kelly had told me how great the Chicago Shipmates were, and it got me thinking that I should've come bearing the Nth Epistle of Kelly Alves to the Shipmates in Chicago, which might begin something like this:

quote:
Kelly Alves to the Shipmates in Chicago. Greetings! I rejoice when I think of you, and what a cool bunch of people you are. I am sending churchgeek to you; receive her as you would me...
Well, I guess we'd have to let Kelly say how her epistle would go.
(Damn! Hindsight is 20/20...)

"Greet Elmo with a holy kiss..."

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
And now I'm in Detroit! Back home to stay. [Yipee] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Hooray!

i'm telling you, that van ran on prayer...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, Churchgeek - health to enjoy being back home! [Smile]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I went on a Senior Center trip yesterday to two churches in North Carolina that have frescoes painted in the 1970s and 1980s.

In one church the fresco was of the Last Supper. It was very well done, but it didn't inspire me. The other church had two wonderful frescoes. Behind the altar was a fresco of Christ on the cross, and behind him, larger and paler, was Christ the King. I have never seen those images juxtaposed, and I loved it.

The other fresco that I loved was of Mary, pregnant. I have never seen a representation of Mary pregnant. Now that I come to think of it, many in the church seem to feel uncomfortable with the idea. Mary with a baby in her arms is what people like to see. Mary with a bulge is something else.

Moo

Oh, awesome! Are there any pics?

One painting that moved me showed Mary crashed out asleep after labor and delivery, with Joseph left to mind the baby. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nice. Would love to see both.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

here's the one I mentioned:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/164381455120395944/

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Concordia!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well, no surprise there. We have a startling lack of originality in names. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Are there any pics?

The church website shows a picture of the exterior of the church, which is nothing special.

They list another website, but the link doesn't work.

The story of these frescoes is interesting. The artist is an American named Ben Long. He wanted to learn fresco painting, but there were very few fresco artists left in the world. There was one in Europe who agreed to take Ben as a pupil.

When Ben came back to this country, he tried to find a church in North Carolina where he could paint frescoes. All the big city churches said no, and he ended up in the mountainous northwest corner of North Carolina, near the Virginia and Tennessee borders. The people there are delighted with the frescoes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

It just occurred to me to google Ben Long fresco, and I found this. It shows not only the fresco behind the altar, but also the two at the front of the nave.

Mary is the figure on the left. John the Baptist is on the right. It would be nice if there were larger images of them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016