homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The people who called LBC 97.3 to insist on the existence of the devil, and that all people who did not decide to take Jesus as their personal favour would be consigned to his care, except innocent little babies who died and immediately became angels, and claimed that everything evil, in which they included earthquakes and disease etc., was the direct result of Adam and Eve's disobedience, and God had not set up the world so that these things happened, and it was no good being an atheist who secretly gave away all their wealth to the poor, because they were only doing it to buy their way into heaven, and that wouldn't work.
Nobody sane and believing rang in (or was allowed to speak). Only lapsed Catholic atheists opposed the vile dualist universe. Do these people really think that their fantastic world view is going to bring people to God? Do they honestly think that saying that the most effective trick of Satan is to persuade people that he doesn't exist, when it is really those people who argue that who drive others from God?

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yahoo - for letting some idiot play around their their mail servers so that one can't download emails on to phone or email client.

But praise be to those clever people on various users' help pages who have found out how to remedy the situation that has bewitched us for the past 3 days.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The idiot who programmed the voice menu system of the office I just called. "Thank you for allowing us to enrich your waiting experience!" the voice said, before placing me on interminable hold while vapid music-like sounds played in the background. If that's an "enriched waiting experience" I'll take the non-enriched version, thank you very much.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The people who called LBC 97.3 to insist on the existence of the devil, and that all people who did not decide to take Jesus as their personal favour would be consigned to his care, except innocent little babies who died and immediately became angels, and claimed that everything evil, in which they included earthquakes and disease etc., was the direct result of Adam and Eve's disobedience, and God had not set up the world so that these things happened, and it was no good being an atheist who secretly gave away all their wealth to the poor, because they were only doing it to buy their way into heaven, and that wouldn't work.
Nobody sane and believing rang in (or was allowed to speak). Only lapsed Catholic atheists opposed the vile dualist universe. Do these people really think that their fantastic world view is going to bring people to God? Do they honestly think that saying that the most effective trick of Satan is to persuade people that he doesn't exist, when it is really those people who argue that who drive others from God?

The alternative would be to not listen to that shitty little excuse for a radio station

[ 06. January 2014, 17:29: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It would be really NICE if, just occasionally, when I try to make someone a priority and arrange my day to better suit their needs, the favour got reciprocated. [Mad]

I sure identify with this. I am pissed off because during the holidays I sent a priest, who I thought was a friend, an email saying that I was in a faith crisis and that I am probably leaving the Catholic Church. He's a school chaplain and they have had school closed for the weather so what the feck is the reason he's not even dropping a note to say; I'm praying for ya, fuck off, go to hell, anything???? I also sent an urgent email to a friend, thought she was a close friend, and she sent an online card, no mention of prayers of anything. I've cleared calendars for people, can't they even ring me up or pretend they give a shit?!

I am always there for my friends. No I don't want a damn cookie, I want reciprocal relationships. ACT like you care, it would be a start. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box
http://rosarygirl1962.blogspot.com/

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
The idiot who programmed the voice menu system of the office I just called. "Thank you for allowing us to enrich your waiting experience!" the voice said, before placing me on interminable hold while vapid music-like sounds played in the background. If that's an "enriched waiting experience" I'll take the non-enriched version, thank you very much.

Please relax and enjoy this 30-minute flute solo, [Killing me]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie-in-the-box:
I am pissed off because during the holidays I sent a priest, who I thought was a friend, an email saying that I was in a faith crisis and that I am probably leaving the Catholic Church. He's a school chaplain and they have had school closed for the weather so what the feck is the reason he's not even dropping a note to say; I'm praying for ya, fuck off, go to hell, anything????

nobody is obliged to check their email, you know.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
I am pissed off because during the holidays I sent a priest, who I thought was a friend, an email saying that I was in a faith crisis and that I am probably leaving the Catholic Church. He's a school chaplain and they have had school closed for the weather so what the feck is the reason he's not even dropping a note to say; I'm praying for ya, fuck off, go to hell, anything????

Very true.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are times when Radio 4 isn't broadcasting anything interesting, and I can't get a digital talk station with no drivelly music in between, and LBC actually has some interesting people and discussions on.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am pissed off because during the holidays I sent a priest, who I thought was a friend, an email . . . so what the feck is the reason he's not even dropping a note?

If he has Yahoo Mail, he may not have gotten it or, if he did, his reply may not have gone out.

The chairman of a donations drive my choral group recently undertook sent a thank-you note to donors who responded. He sent the note to a mailing list of 250 names. People with Yahoo Mail got 250 copies of the note.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(after reading the 876th meme on this matter)

Is there anybody left in the free world who doesn't have the common sense to turn off autocorrect?

Because if you don't -- nobody to blame but you, really. So perhaps you have a deep, sick need to shock your mother with "accidental" sex talk.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Exes, almosts and rekindles, make up your fucking minds. And remembering, where is my fucking Eternal Sunshine?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH our county water management folks. We live in a drafty, rinky-dink doublewide house trailer and we planned ahead, prepared, and kept our pipes from freezing on Sunday night when the temps dropped so low. The county, however, managed to let some vital piece of equipment at a the water tower freeze solid last evening. Now, the prolonged lack of pressure has caused what water was in our pipes to freeze and BAM, we have busted plumbing. From the calls and visits I've had this morning, we're not the only one. I'm thinking of organizing an angry mob of villagers to storm the water tower...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICT the burning, acidic, acrid bowels of H the useless, cowardly, immature, fragile-flower, stunted, simple-minded piece of absolute diseased dog shit that my daughter married.

Listen, you little freak of nature: when your wife is pregnant and gets ill enough to be rushed to the emergency room, you get off your lazy, useless ass and you drive her in. You don't say you just don't feel well enough to drive so she needs to call her relatives to get out of bed and drive 20 miles to go fetch her and bring her in. and you don't catch a ride so you can hang around whining about how inconvenient it all is and how hard your little excuse for a life is.

I have put up with your pathetic, poor-me routine far too long. not because you, you slimy little fraction of a man, are worth one measley moment of concern, but because my deluded daughter seemed to extend her need to take in strays and make you her project.

Let's face it. without her, you'd be in fucking prison if you got lucky. You'd be broke and unhoused and unfed and still wondering why everyone hates you.

I used to think you were just paranoid and pathetic; but no. It's true. everyone hates you. you're a waste of oxygen. If I came across you on the side of the road after a truck hit you, I wouldn't waste the bullet to put you down.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And your son in law loves you too.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Public transport in New Zealand. I have the job interview of my dreams in Christchurch, however it is physically impossible for me to attend right now because although I am willing to go 24 hours without sleep to move my shifts so I have the time to, there are NO BUSES after my interview to get me back home again. Seriously, one bus a day at 2.30pm IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Five bus companies who all have their buses/shuttles leave at this time is also NOT ACCEPTABLE.

GAH! I love this freaking country but right now I feel like I am being suffocated to death by giant white balls in a South Canterbury sized set of 'The Prisoner'.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... when your wife is pregnant and gets ill enough to be rushed to the emergency room...

Unhellish, but I hope your daughter and grandbaby are o.k.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those who whine about the weather. Just put on a proper coat, a toque, scarf and boots, and deal with it. You're not cold until it's in the -40s (C and F coincide there), and don't tell me dramatically about the temp + wind chill and tell me that you'll freeze in 5 minutes. You won't unless you're an idiot. (I was 45 minutes on my bicycle so I know, numb brain!)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In other news: no prophet's teeny tiny little bank account of sympathy goes unspent yet again.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Australia's right-wing racists who think it's acceptable to bombard complete strangers with abuse. Yes, I've been in the news, folks.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(after reading the 876th meme on this matter)

Is there anybody left in the free world who doesn't have the common sense to turn off autocorrect?

Because if you don't -- nobody to blame but you, really. So perhaps you have a deep, sick need to shock your mother with "accidental" sex talk.

Or just, you know, read what you've typed before you press send?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Those who whine about the weather. Just put on a proper coat, a toque, scarf and boots, and deal with it.

WTF is a toque?

Oh, and no-one has a right to complain about flooding ever. Just spend sixty billion (at today's prices) on flood defences like we did in London. Or build big polders like in the Netherlands. All those whingers in places like New Orleans and New York and Devon and Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and China...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A toque is one of those tall white chef's hats. I always wear mine when venturing out in gale force winds.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

a tuque is different to different people.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh. A woolly bobble hat. We didn't need to use a French word for one of those.

--------------------
Ken

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

think of it as a Canadian word.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Those who whine about the weather. Just put on a proper coat, a toque, scarf and boots, and deal with it. You're not cold until it's in the -40s (C and F coincide there), and don't tell me dramatically about the temp + wind chill and tell me that you'll freeze in 5 minutes. You won't unless you're an idiot. (I was 45 minutes on my bicycle so I know, numb brain!)

Poor wee NP. Extreme cold has obviously affected your ability to see anyone elses's point of view. Other Canadian posters don't have the same judgemental scathing attitude towards other people's experiences.

It dropped to 5c here last night and I was cold, delicate wee flower that I am [Razz]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

But this is Hell, and whenever you say that C word a certain shipmate will come along to tell you how everyone and everything is shit except for that big country begining with C wghich is the only place where they have proper politcs or churches (especially of the Refoprmed sort) or weather and how tyou are an iognorant wally because you forgot to takwe into account the career and writings of some person from country C who you never heard of...

--------------------
Ken

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
... some person from country C who you never heard of...

or have heard of, but always thought they were American.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
In other news: no prophet's teeny tiny little bank account of sympathy goes unspent yet again.

[Roll Eyes]

But I think we might have happened upon the explanation:
quote:
I was 45 minutes on my bicycle so I know, numb brain!

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Basketball has-been Dennis Rodman, for saying that he has bonded with North Korean tyrant Kim Jong Un over their mutual love of basketball, and that Baby Kim is "a really nice guy".

That's like the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millan) saying he could have bonded with Adolf Hitler over their mutual love of German Shepherds.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It wasn't about you lovable hateful people. It was about the local whining Canadians. Who won't stop it.

Use Google if you don't know a word. I was abused and roasted by some of you unwiped anuses when I asked about a chitsly dialect word in Hell, so bite me.

Sympathy jn Hell? You think this place is exothemic? Feel the love of Satan and her giant red hot fork. Gerbils.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want this TICTH thread to continue, the chit-chat about Canadians will now cease. Either that or I'll fuck you all using the specially sharpened end of my lyre.

orfeo
Hellhost

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Have a nice day," I was told by shop assistants at least four times today. I wonder if the bosses who make them say this have any idea how hollow it is.

It is not a nice day, hasn't been since little granddaughter was diagnosed with leukaemia a few days ago. Some of the treatment has already given her pancreatitis. Today is the first session of chemotherapy which will last probably at least two years.

And just what is a nice day? What a colourless word.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fuck!
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH filling in annual appraisal forms AKA a colossal waste of everybody’s time, the only purpose of which is to destroy the morale of the workforce and give the HR department something to do to justify their sad existence.

We hates it, we hates it forever.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jury duty. [Mad] There are so many other things I should be doing today.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am (despite the online revolutionary fervour) a mild-mannered individual, and it normally takes a lot to get my dander up.

I am absolutely fucking furious with someone whose professional and personal integrity should have been unimpeachable, who has simply, calmly and with forethought, betrayed my trust entirely.

I am not shouting and screaming. I am so coldly and righteously angry that I will be quite happy not to rest until any pretence they have at a moral high ground is naught but dust under my feet.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH teeth, a filling that has been in place for less than a month has fallen out and it's bloody uncomfortable. To make matters worse the dentist cannot see me until Tuesday week

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You're not cold until it's in the -40s (C and F coincide there), and don't tell me dramatically about the temp + wind chill and tell me that you'll freeze in 5 minutes. You won't unless you're an idiot.

Tell that to the four men who died the other day in our cold snap. It got down to about 30F, which is more than enough to die of hypothermia.

Fucktard.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

People who get cross about having to play their part in the governance of a (reasonably) free society because there are other things they'd rather be doing.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

quote:
quote:
quote:

Very true.
OK I am going to send myself to hell along with my shitty attitude. My priest-friend apologized, saying he had been off work due to the storm. He was very concerned about my feelings so I will join all the crap in hell for my being so rude.
[Eek!]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

go and sin no more, my child.

Most of the time when people think I've snubbed them it's either because I hate telephones and email or because the power was out.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sure, next you'll claim its the 8116 miles that's stopping you from dropping in for coffee.

Shit, we have driveways longer than that.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Daw... you counted!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

People who get cross about having to play their part in the governance of a (reasonably) free society because there are other things they'd rather be doing.
If they treated prospective jurors a little better it wouldn't be so bad, but not knowing until late afternoon the day before, having everyone check in early and then sit around forever, being treated like a herd of cattle, etc., etc. The last time I was called they showed a video of some judge telling us how we were just as important a part of the process as the judge and lawyers -- yeah, like they'd put up with being treated like that for a few pennies a day. (And in Arizona you only get those pennies if you're called for a trial, not if you're stuck waiting around all day.) Give us some consideration, give us the opportunity to work with our schedules, etc., and most of us would feel different about it.

--------------------
~Tortuf

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the new neighbors in the single-wide across the field. They couldn't be more trailer-trash if they tried. Motley collection of vehicles in various shades of rust and bondo, loud boom-boom music played at all hours, mangy pregnant pitt bull bitch who is allowed to roam free, sticky ill-behaved children, and the ever-popular domestic squabbles carried out on the front porch so everyone else can share in the magic that is your relationship. [Mad]

My only solace is in waiting for the inevitable meth-bust...

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

If they treated prospective jurors a little better it wouldn't be so bad, but not knowing until late afternoon the day before, having everyone check in early and then sit around forever, being treated like a herd of cattle, etc., etc. The last time I was called they showed a video of some judge telling us how we were just as important a part of the process as the judge and lawyers -- yeah, like they'd put up with being treated like that for a few pennies a day. (And in Arizona you only get those pennies if you're called for a trial, not if you're stuck waiting around all day.) Give us some consideration, give us the opportunity to work with our schedules, etc., and most of us would feel different about it.
Pretty much my own experience of jury duty here in the UK (though here they give you rather more than a day's notice that you're being called up). Sure, it could be better organised: but on the whole it's a privilege to have to do it, even though they do bugger you about.

[ 11. January 2014, 15:37: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
TICTH the new neighbors in the single-wide across the field. They couldn't be more trailer-trash if they tried. Motley collection of vehicles in various shades of rust and bondo, loud boom-boom music played at all hours, mangy pregnant pitt bull bitch who is allowed to roam free, sticky ill-behaved children, and the ever-popular domestic squabbles carried out on the front porch so everyone else can share in the magic that is your relationship. [Mad]

My only solace is in waiting for the inevitable meth-bust...

Are the children safe ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

They're at school/grandma's most of the day, or at my house squabbling over video games. I haven't seen anything I could report to the law, but I'm waiting...

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016