homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my day, the HSC results were no longer published in the paper, you had to wait for the postman to bring your result letter, although university offers were published in the paper about a week later and yes you had to wait 'til after Christmas.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Commonwealth and teachers' college scholarships were also listed and uni offer too. We did not question it. A law of the Medes and Persians, it had been done that way for years.

[ 13. December 2016, 19:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely Nativity play at school today performed by the 5 and 6 year olds. The older ones perform at the final Assembly on Friday.

Kids and teachers seem really tired this term and very much in need of a break. It can't come soon enough for me either. I think the Kaikoura quake kind of reset uncertainty levels, especially as most live within an area at greatest risk of a tsunami and Civil Defense did not handle things well.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday blokes came and put a camera down the gully trap to find out where the blockage in the wastewater system is. I was out for most of this enjoying the Nativity play. Today other blokes are digging up my front lawn because the painted X marks the spot (which sounds like a childhood story about buried treasure, but it's much noisier and not as much fun). I can't leave because the computer geek is coming to sort out the computer and printer.

I realise this is a tiny thing compared to people losing their homes and such, but I am over all this.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(((Huia))). I can understand your feelings. Will it ever end for your city?

A very hot night here, 29° all night. I turned the aircon on to sleep. Over 38 °C forecast again today. Zappa would be happy. A southerly late afternoon or early evening will drop those numbers. Western Sydney was even hotter yesterday than where I am.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
.. Over 38 °C forecast again today. Zappa would be happy ...

Piglet wouldn't. [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had the most amazing work Christmas party adventure on Monday because of the weather. It was beautifully sunny in the morning, overcast forecast for the afternoon with temp remaining in the late teens.

However, just as we were all leaving for the restaurant, the skies opened: hail, lightening, rain by the tonne. Most of us wearing summer clothes as the temperature plunged from 18 to 9 in the space of 5 minutes.

We had our lunch, then went on a treasure hunt that involved all sorts of weather dependent activities, such as paddling in the ocean. We went ahead and did them in the pouring rain, and had a fantastic time! But everyone was very happy to end up at the pub.

((Huia))

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We also are sweltering - 39degC here in the valley yesterday and the raging bushfire a couple of kilometres down the road. One of our young families had flames come to within a metre of the house. This morning both the DC-10 and Hercules waterbombers are in action. The main road to Cessnock has been closed again after being closed throughout yesterday afternoon. It hasn't been that bad here since 2004. Praying that the predicted rain for tonight comes swiftly to relieve the firefighters.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the double post but for those who are in the appropriate timezones, have just discovered that the National Library of Australia is broadcasting the Igitur Nos Christmas concert live from the library on their Facebook page. You can probably view it on demand later as well.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had a bush/grass fire out of control about 15km away for a few days; it is now under control. I was in Sydney Monday and Tuesday, and at lunchtime yesterday I checked to see how the fire was going, only to see fresh information about a grass fire within 2km of our place!

Cue phone calls home and the premature return of Mr Vulpior from work. Fortunately the firies had been prompt and it was extinguished quickly. The lack of a sea breeze helped in not sending it our way.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

We owe a huge debt to RFS series and those from other states. They respond as volunteers. Arrive quickly and stay as long as needed. They work in those heavy protective uniforms in weather like today. Dirty, dangerous work. Did I say they are volunteers/? [Overused]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Sorry for the double post but for those who are in the appropriate timezones, have just discovered that the National Library of Australia is broadcasting the Igitur Nos Christmas concert live from the library on their Facebook page. You can probably view it on demand later as well.

Thanks for this. I miss the Carols from Kings which ABC has not had for some years. Seeing as they are pretty well broadcasting repeats of things they already own I wonder if those carols could be dragged from their vault ?

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Arabella, that sounds like an amazing party. I bet people will be talking about it for years to come.

Well the blokes have gone, leaving a hole in the lawn, which means they'll be back (I hope). They start and finish early to avoid the heat of the day. Physical work in 25c when you're wearing heavy high vis gear isn't much fun. They left the rose I planted in Dad's memory intact [Cool] I am always amazed how precise skilled digger operators can be.

Tomorrow I'm arranging to be out all day, a large part of the time in the Botanic Gardens and Dean's Bush, which is a small remnant of the kahikatea trees in suburban Christchurch.

Actually they are doing me a favour because I would never have thought of going there otherwise.

Huia

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks for this. I miss the Carols from Kings which ABC has not had for some years. Seeing as they are pretty well broadcasting repeats of things they already own I wonder if those carols could be dragged from their vault ?

A search for this returns many results youtube kings college lessons and carols

e.g. This is 2015

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There are now two fires on ridge above Patonga on Central Coast. RFS in attendance.

There are concerns that with cool change, the direction of fires may change and they will come down steep slope to Umina. Grandson and his mum will be in path as will grandson's school.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My neighbours and I could not locate the dead animal smell that's been around the last few days. A neighbour a little further away has just discovered a dead cow on the council land bordering on all our properties.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

What a pong in the heat of summer. I hope the council removes it quickly with a front end loader or similar.

When we travelled in summer in a truck with no air conditioning, it was the job of the youngest to keep an eye out ahead for roos or wombats struck by cars and dead on roadside. That gave us time to wind all windows up till we were well past.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I miss the Carols from Kings ...

You can get the radio broadcast on the BBC web-site (Christmas Eve, 3:00 p.m. GMT, BBC Radio 4) - it tends to be the one that the aficionados go for.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Grandson did reasonably well in HSC, not as well as his intelligence could have done. All his school life he has had no confidence in himself at all at school , but has put intelligence towards captains state soccer teams, athletic performance, how to make good game plans, working the angles to be best for shooting goals etc. Cricket was in there too till he concentrated on soccer. Son is going to help him explore and see if there is some part time study he would like. The like part is 90% of the battle.

He has been doing labouring jobs since he left school. Some money and a taste of work. Above all, it has meant having a boss and all that entails about punctuality,effort etc. Starting work at 6:00 am is not his usual way of life.

[ 15. December 2016, 04:08: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to a lovely Christmas concert last night. Both cathedrals in Wellington sustained considerable damage to their organs in the big earthquake, and the concert was a fundraiser for the Basilica of the Sacred Heart organ. Somehow the Music Director had put together an orchestra to accompany the choir in a range of Christmas music, including the Vaughan Williams Fantasia on Christmas Carols, all in the space of about 2 weeks. I was seriously impressed with the choir, which was the Basilica choir with added extras, and the young bass soloist (who I know from the choir I sing in) sang astoundingly well (he's very shy, so I had no idea what a great voice he had).

It was a happy thing at the end of a stressful day.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

quote:
Son is going to help him explore and see if there is some part time study he would like. The like part is 90% of the battle.

He has been doing labouring jobs since he left school. Some money and a taste of work. Above all, it has meant having a boss and all that entails about punctuality,effort etc. Starting work at 6:00 am is not his usual way of life.

We recently caught up with a friend of ours who went from labouring into university study. He's now studying engineering, after his boss suggested that he would support him to upskill and keep him employed while he studies. Guaranteed job at the end of it. There are some good people around.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks for the encouragement. The labouring is a stop gap thing as he has just left school. However, it is possible there is something mre available for him to move to in study. Motivation is the problem.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any news from you Mr Curly?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Any news from you Mr Curly?

All good from Chez Curly, in that results are as expected, with no disasters but also no big pleasant surprises. Permit the proud dad boast, marks as follows:

Music 96
Advanced English 90
Eng Ext 1 - 44/50
Eng Ext 2 - 43/50
Modern History - 86
Ext History - 42/50
Maths 81

He's a little disappointed with the 2 extension English subjects, and delighted with Maths.

Many would kill for these marks, he could have worked much harder. Nuff said.

ATAR for uni admission comes tomorrow. He'll be in the 93-95 range, which will place him comfortably over the expected 89 needed for his first preference of Bachelor of Communications (Creative Writing)/Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation double degree at UTS.

At work, a colleague's daughter did much better than expected and looks like admission to uni is now likely. Another colleague's cousin did much worse than expected in three subjects and prob won't get in to what she had her heart set on, and has been sobbing all day. It's tough.

Middle's exams at the end of his effective first term of Yr 12 were a mixed bag. He's very tired.

We all are.

Time to focus on Advent, me thinks.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done to him. A. may get a score which will get him a place, In which case, does her really want it? Will he work t it?

He is not a student. However his girlfriend's marks, not as high as Biggest's but well on the way will see her into whatever she wants.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done BIggest, and we hope he enjoys Communications. And UTS is very easy for transport.

Lothlorien, may that your grandson is able to find work in an area that interests him (never easy) and perhaps find a course to keep him going also

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations to the lesser Curlies, and to Loth's grandson. I know it's almost heretical to suggest this these days, but if he's of a practical turn of mind, would some sort of apprenticeship be an option rather than university? After all, people will always need builders, carpenters and plumbers, and they're accordingly very well paid.

APW, that concert sounds excellent, and I hope they raised lots and lots for restoring the organ.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Son is a marker and panel leader for an NCEAStage 3 paper. All done now except for one paper which the student has elected to sit in Te Reo Maori – as s/he's entitled to, since it's an official language in Aotearoa/New Zealand, along with English and NZSign language. Problem is, after it's bee translated into Te Reo at some expense, the answers have to be translated into English for the marker's benefit, and the translator hasn't done so yet. Son says candidates have been known to elect to sit the paper in Te Reo but then answer in English, which would make things easier.
Many years ago I marked School Certificate French; I recently found my collection of howlers: LoL – yes I mean that literally.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I do not know A's ATAR nor any of his ideas. He is prepared to work, labouring job starts at 6:00 am. Lots of good qualities and is a leader in many areas. Study just does not interest him much at all and he had a couple of teachers where for a year there were clashes. Year 12 was OK but damage was done. He would like to return to Uganda and work with young people there. He was there a couple of months with school in Year 10 and received many good reports from the staff and also the staff of the school where he helped.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Arabella , do you know how the organ at Old St Paul's fared? I remember my middle brother and I paying for one of the pipes probably about 30 or so years ago.

School has ended for the year, and none to soon, everyone seemed ready for it. The choir were delightful and sang really well.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well, that's my year done - last words on my feet for the year today (DV) but still some chamber work for next week and a general tidying up. Probably finish by midday Thursday and then Madame and I shall take my secretary and her husband to lunch. We've started what will be a rather long and involved process of selling Madame Pty Ltd and when that's finished - perhaps a year, perhaps 18 months - we can both retire. Perhaps famous last words. We'll both turn 70 very soon.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biggest's ATAR came in on target at 92.7. Stories of both pleasant and nasty surprises are circulating among the various groups. One of his friends did very well (96.7), but what was important to him was that he achieved 0.1 more than his older sister. I don't want to delve into those family dynamics.

I took him shopping and out to lunch today.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Study just does not interest him much at all ...

One of my nephews went through a phase like that at the end of his schooldays - he just sort of stopped going. He's not stupid by any stretch of the imagination; it just took him a while of bumming around doing bar work and the odd road traffic survey before he found his niche. He got a job working with a painter and decorator and he's never looked back; he's been to a trade school and won a national design award.

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Arabella , do you know how the organ at Old St Paul's fared? I remember my middle brother and I paying for one of the pipes probably about 30 or so years ago.

I haven't heard anything about Old St Pauls, and given that I've been moving amongst organists recently... I'm guessing it didn't sustain major damage.

The Anglican Cathedral had pipes fall out of the organ box onto the floor, which made for some dramatic pictures and a lot of giving thanks that the earthquake happened at night - several singers and the Canon in Residence would have been killed if it had happened during a service.

The Basilica organ is still usable if you don't want to be too excitable about what stops you can use.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Arabella, I have a particular attachment to Old St Paul's.

Yes, although earthquakes at night can be really scary, especially if power is lost, fewer people have been killed or injured then.

My front lawn no longer has a hole, so I hope I've seen last of the high viz crew. It's not that I'm ungrateful for the work done, but it's lovely to have the relative peace of the street restored.

And the rose I planted in memory of Dad (Freesia) seems to be OK [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
End of school year saw B1.2 narrating for the last school assembly. As a little chatty man, this was probably a perfect fit for him. As for B1.1 I am pleased to report he is still alive. I want nothing more than to see him survive the next four years of life, hopefully with some sense of humour still intact. He passed all of his subjects - just.

Caught up with Rowen briefly today - 22 degrees seemed like a positive heatwave to her, and I suspect she will be glad to get back to the alps. Of course I have a woollen jumper on. What happened to summer?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nine Lessons and Carols today which was well recived by everyone involved. I was given the task of singing the introit solo verse of Once in Royal plus another solo which was rather daunting as I'm struggling with a heavy chest cold and asthma (my doctor calls it GOLD = Getting old Lady Disease). However, I survived the experience without too much angst and there is just the midnight service to sing at on Christmas Eve before the choir is on holiday for January. Many of the congregation complain that we take a month's break, but after all we are a voluntary choir and need holidays just as others do after a year's hard work. Happy Christmas everyone.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Bib, it seems to me that the complaint is a backhanded kind of compliment. I wouldn't complain if our organists took a break, but I would miss them. (we don't have a choir).

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I am so glad I took my last cake out of the oven at 9am. The outside temperature has reached 30c. We're in Zappa's range.

Meanwhile I'm melting and rapidly drinking the portion of my emergency water supply that was in the fridge. My next move is a lukewarm shower - if I can raise the energy.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Put some cold water in bath and sit with feet up to ankles in it. Run cold water over the inside of your wrists. Over thirty here today but what else to expect. December in Sydney. At least it is not yet humid as well.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Loth. Mum used to have us run cold water over our inner wrists and I showed it to the children when I was teaching, but I never came across the feet in cold water, which makes good sense.

The easterly wind, which people here call the beasterly easterly in winter is very welcome in summer.

I must also see if I can find some sandals that fit my orthotics - lace-up shoes are really uncomfortable, even when I take them off as soon as I get home.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I am so glad I took my last cake out of the oven at 9am. The outside temperature has reached 30c. We're in Zappa's range.

[Axe murder]

Snuck around the high 20s here ... but pleasant enough .... I'll be in Brisbane in February so I'd better keep in training

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Huia, cucumber peel on the inside of your wrists is a traditional country way to help you deal with heat. Sounds strange but it does work.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I forgot that one. Very cooling. I have just taken rubbish downstairs for collection tomorrow and have also checked mailbox. I was wrong about the humidity. Quite sticky. I am glad I was able this morning to take aircon remote control unit apart to change batteries. They were five years old and the cheap and nasty type originally supplied by manufacturer. I don't use it a lot, pretty well always at night, but it means the difference between sleeping and tossing and turning. Currently it is set to 25° C. Sea breeze almost every summer day helps a great deal here.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will be 30 here over Christmas! Our summers are short but hot.
However, traditionally. My church has no Christmas service.... Something to do with the distances farmers have to drive in....
So, on Froday, I am going to friends at a beach, for ten days. Can't wait. Also it will be cooler there. yay! First Christmas off in decades.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds wonderful Rowen. Enjoy yourself. Next week in Sydney itself 37 is forecast, more to the west.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Run cold water over the inside of your wrists ...

I do that every morning, no matter what the outside temperature is; today it was -1, which is really rather warm for this time of year. At least the windows had un-frozen, so I was able to open them while I was drying my hair.

I like the idea of the cucumber-peel wrist-band - I may give that a go when the weather gets warmer (above about 15°). [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trickled arund 30C here today - so I mowed the lawns! Driving up to the Sides of the North overnight ... Kuruman and kuruzaplet# 2 are already there, Kuruzapplet # 1 and a recuperating dog are coming with me. House-sitter in to mind the remaining two dogs, turtles, tropical fish and ostensible pond fish.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Accounts of varying 'comfortable' temperatures are always fascinating.
My heatpump is on 18°C in the winter and usually that's cosy enough.
If It gets hot enough to put it on air con mode in summer. I still go for 18°C, which is then pleasantly cool.
Actually, today's forecast maximum was 15°C, so I used it to warm us.

My family Christmas cake recipe is a small one but I double it and make two – which I hadn't done for several chaotic years, and couldn't have done without three teenagers to help with the heavy stirring. Now I hope the extra few minutes I gave them hasn't made them dry. I'd forgotten my mother's rule to always listen to a cake to check whether it's done, and these did have the reassuring faint dying sizzle.

Incidentally the recipe, written before I took to getting jumbo eggs, required six eggs, so I took out five, but when three of the first four were double yolkers I decided that was enough.

I'd better go before someone tells me I'm on the wrong thread. Okay, I'm off. Happy Christmas feasting, everyone!

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016