homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Greenbelt 2007 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Greenbelt 2007
wesleyswig
Shipmate
# 5436

- Posted      Profile for wesleyswig   Author's homepage   Email wesleyswig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So then, Greenbelt 2007 is around 358 days away and one suspects diaries are already cleared etc so I thought i would be the one to start the suitable thread.

As ever
1) Who is going
2) Who needs somewhere to camp
3) What should we be looking out for
4) who may not be returning after being at 2006 and possibly *shock* not getting on with it

Warm Regards
john

[ 08. October 2007, 15:15: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
"I am still a Methodist, You can never get it's special glow out of your blood" Ellen Wilkinson
Read my ramblings

Posts: 878 | From: Chained to my desk.... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic John [Smile]

I am up for a little pitville posse if others fancy it?? It was 25 pounds a night (99 for all four nights 89 for 3 nights) last year which for an ensuite with shower and a cooked breakfast works for me....

Wed have to book soonish and say we were together - it worked fab for me this year [Smile] So id definately recoomend it!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

this has made me smile!

I have barely been able to process the one just gone, let alone think about a 2007 one, although I do have to 'fess that my diary is also blank for this weekend.

L

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well you know - bank holidays get booked up quickly... .got to plan ahead [Biased] **grin**
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm... I, too, had thought about starting this thread!!!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Genie
Shipmate
# 3282

- Posted      Profile for Genie   Email Genie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm definately up for next year. I'm going to have to camp though. It just wouldn't be the same without a damp sleeping bag and losing my hairbrush under my airbed. Not to mention the earwigs and whatever it was that bit me during the night. Call me antisocial, but I enjoyed having a tent all to myself.

What's the deadline for getting the cheap tickets? I'm a little wiped out right now after the last one.

--------------------
Alleluia, Christ is risen!

Posts: 762 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Hm... I, too, had thought about starting this thread!!!

Ditto - typical to be beaten to the punch [Frown]

Looks like this year the first 'cheap' deadline is October 31 (that's what it said in the site Ticket Office) but there's nothing on the website yet (why not? They've had three whole days... [Razz] )

No doubt we'll be there - the kids wouldn't forgive us for missing GB, but I may have to negotiate the Sunday with my incumbent as baldly stating 'I'm going to Greenbelt' when he was also on holiday left the rota in a bit of a state [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've booked the same B&B, and need to book tickets. We wouldn't know what else to do that weekend. The theme "Heaven in Ordinary" sounds potentially more useful for those of us in deepest suburbia- John Davies started talking about it this year and was excellent. (And it probably won't involve Exodus themes for the communion for once!) [Biased]

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
No doubt we'll be there - the kids wouldn't forgive us for missing GB

You know, I'd really like to say "the kids wouldn't forgive us for missing GB", but I doubt that'll happen. By the time they're old enough to know what's happening and ask "why aren't we going to GB?" they'll be old enough to be in school so the answer will be "because you have to go to school". Unless, of course, something unlikely happens like the organisers of the festival shift it to a weekend where we wouldn't need to take at least three school days (more if we can't do the trip down on Friday and back on Tuesday) to go.

But, while the wee wan is still too young for school we'll be there. I can't see any reason at the moment that will mean us missing out next year. We'll need to get a bigger tent though.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're working on how to get into GB cheaply next year. Probably means me volunteering & Chuk giving a seminar.

We even provisionally have some Very Organised People to camp with (who even brought a gas powered fridge with them this year!), should I abandon my principles and agree to spend the weekend in a tent.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be there, in my little 2 man tent (Ideally it is one man, one women - still open for offers).

I was so gutted to miss this year, but next year I will go even if any friends get married, that will be their bad planning.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
No doubt we'll be there - the kids wouldn't forgive us for missing GB

You know, I'd really like to say "the kids wouldn't forgive us for missing GB", but I doubt that'll happen. By the time they're old enough to know what's happening and ask "why aren't we going to GB?" they'll be old enough to be in school so the answer will be "because you have to go to school". Unless, of course, something unlikely happens like the organisers of the festival shift it to a weekend where we wouldn't need to take at least three school days (more if we can't do the trip down on Friday and back on Tuesday) to go.
While I have to cross the border to get to Cheltenham, we still work to the same timetable as England - so our Bank Holiday fits with the Greenbelt timing.

quote:
But, while the wee wan is still too young for school we'll be there. I can't see any reason at the moment that will mean us missing out next year. We'll need to get a bigger tent though.
Why do I hear echoes of 'Jaws'? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
I will be there, in my little 2 man tent (Ideally it is one man, one women - still open for offers).

Maybe I'll stay the whole weekend in that case [Biased] [Razz]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last time Greenbelt moved from its normal Bank Holiday slot, it attracted just 5000 people. I doubt that'll happen again [Biased]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Last time Greenbelt moved from its normal Bank Holiday slot, it attracted just 5000 people. I doubt that'll happen again [Biased]

Though, that experiment tested several things at once - not just a different date, but a different venue (the first year at Cheltenham). And, they also tried the "see what will happen if we get every one confused about whether there's one or two festivals, whether one's aimed at 'young people' and the other at 'older people', and then have one of them collapse and not happen at all". Hardly a fair experiment of whether the earlier date would work.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point. Can anyone remind me of the details of that one?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

As I recall the details, through the mists of time, what happened was ...

"The Plan" (or maybe it was a Plot) was announced at the last GB at Deane Park that the following year there would be two festivals. One at Cheltenham Racecourse, and the other in some muddy field somewhere.

The Cheltenham one was intended to appeal to the more refined and mature GBers - a venue with proper loos, indoor venues, proper roads (hence a lot less mud), and local accommodation for those who'd outgrown tents. Plus, moving it to the start of August would result (on average) in better weather. I can't recall if not discriminating against those with school aged children (and teachers) from parts of the UK where the last weekend in August is already several days into the school year was something mentioned.

The other festival was going to stick to the traditional end-of-August weekend (the English/Welsh Bank Holiday) and old format of all-camping. I seem to recall something to do with a collaboration with another Christian Festival organisation. That one fell through because of several factors. I suupose at least one of which was that organising one festival is hard work, organising two proved impossible.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

quote:
Looks like this year the first 'cheap' deadline is October 31 (that's what it said in the site Ticket Office) but there's nothing on the website yet (why not? They've had three whole days... [Razz] )
My apologies: it's just turned up here on the website, for those who need to book straight away!

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
As I recall the details, through the mists of time, what happened was ...

"The Plan" (or maybe it was a Plot) was announced at the last GB at Deane Park that the following year there would be two festivals. One at Cheltenham Racecourse, and the other in some muddy field somewhere.

The Cheltenham one was intended to appeal to the more refined and mature GBers - a venue with proper loos, indoor venues, proper roads (hence a lot less mud), and local accommodation for those who'd outgrown tents. Plus, moving it to the start of August would result (on average) in better weather. I can't recall if not discriminating against those with school aged children (and teachers) from parts of the UK where the last weekend in August is already several days into the school year was something mentioned.

The other festival was going to stick to the traditional end-of-August weekend (the English/Welsh Bank Holiday) and old format of all-camping. I seem to recall something to do with a collaboration with another Christian Festival organisation. That one fell through because of several factors. I suupose at least one of which was that organising one festival is hard work, organising two proved impossible.

Ah yes. I remember now.

I also remember a year or two later someone tried to put on a "sounder" Christian festival at the same time as Greenbelt. I also further seem to recall that Wesley Owen went with the competition, which then went tits up, by which time Greenbelt had got a deal with SPCK, and Wesley Owen haven't been seen at Greenbelt since. I think that St Andrews do all the book selling now.

The twisted part of me recalls that the relationship between Wesley Owen (or its previous incarnation as Scripture Union) and GB was sometimes a bit flaky; WO was required to sell the speakers' books but often considered them a tad unsound, which was clear from the other books they always put next to them [Biased]

--------------------

Jonm
Shipmate
# 1246

- Posted      Profile for Jonm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
My apologies: it's just turned up here on the website, for those who need to book straight away!
where it also seems to claim Pittville is either sold out already or not being used. Having finally seen the light after the Greenbelt from hell and decided to lobby hard at home for an end to camping, this is bad news....

--------------------
"My God, My God, why hast thou accepted me?"---Caedmon's Call

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there, hopefully for free.

You should all volunteer if you're a bit short on cash. It's great fun!

What about the line-up?

I expect they'll try and get Walter Wink in considering he had to cancel this year.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by madferret:
...We even provisionally have some Very Organised People to camp with (who even brought a gas powered fridge with them this year!)....

Well it's important to keep the GIN cold you know [Biased]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The other festival was going to stick to the traditional end-of-August weekend (the English/Welsh Bank Holiday) and old format of all-camping.

Does this mean if they'd had that one they would have turned you away at the door if you couldn't prove you'd camped??! [Eek!]

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonm:
where it also seems to claim Pittville is either sold out already or not being used. Having finally seen the light after the Greenbelt from hell and decided to lobby hard at home for an end to camping, this is bad news....

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that it means that they just haven't finalised the details with whoever runs Pitville Campus yet, and so aren't taking bookings at the moment.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person who isn't bothered (and in fact quite likes!) by the camping bit of Greenbelt?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
quote:
The other festival was going to stick to the traditional end-of-August weekend (the English/Welsh Bank Holiday) and old format of all-camping.

Does this mean if they'd had that one they would have turned you away at the door if you couldn't prove you'd camped??! [Eek!]
No, but like the previous sites (I was at Deane Park and Castle Ashby) there was effectively no local accomodation. So if you weren't camping on the site you had a long drive in and out from where you were staying. Plus, of course, there was no official non-tent accomodation like the Pittville Campus.

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I booked already [Big Grin]

I'm kinda thinking about working it next year though, so I might have a ticket for sale closer to the time. But then, I was planning to work this year, and got as far as filling in the form but didn't send it off. So we'll see.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia
Shipmate
# 3136

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really really want to go next year. The only thing I'm not too sure about is taking a three year old. I like the idea of camping with her - that part wouldn't be a problem. Its just that I don't really know much about what there is for very young children, being, as I am, a Greenbelt virgin.

Anyone with any experience of this? (Pants? [Smile] )

--------------------
Just as I am, without one flea...

Posts: 523 | From: Ottery St. Catchpole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clergyman'sdaughter:
I really really want to go next year.

Oh please come... it will be so much fun [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Am I the only person who isn't bothered (and in fact quite likes!) by the camping bit of Greenbelt?

Auntie Doris x

Nope. Me too. I'd forgotten just how much I totally love camping.

quote:
Originally posted by Clergyman'sdaughter:
I really really want to go next year. The only thing I'm not too sure about is taking a three year old. I like the idea of camping with her - that part wouldn't be a problem. Its just that I don't really know much about what there is for very young children, being, as I am, a Greenbelt virgin.

Anyone with any experience of this? (Pants? )

In laws are wonderful things. Little people love to spend time with their Granny and Grandad!! [Biased] Alien stayed with them overnight, and was supposed to be with me during the day, but one day stayed with them!! It was the perfect way to do it for me. I didn't see the point of going with little person camping with me, cos although I thought she'd be fine, I didn't fancy not being able to drink, or go to anything after 'bedtime'.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

No, I love the whole camping thing.

Actually next year I may have to resort to staying in the uni accommodation as I will be jetting in from furrin parts just for the festival and then jetting out again, and I'm rather sad about that. It just won't be the same at all.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
I am up for a little pitville posse if others fancy it??

I might be up for this, depending on money. Remember, my ticket's about to get about thirty quid more expensive...

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But at least you'll be able to get served in the bar then. [Big Grin]

Paul W

[ 01. September 2006, 23:46: Message edited by: Paul W. ]

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
But at least you'll be able to get served in the bar then. [Big Grin]

Paul W

[blinks]
Then?
I wasn't supposed to be drinking in the bar for the past three years I've gone for?

Bugger!

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

No dear - you'll notice he said *served* at the bar, not just drinking on the steps.

It means that from next year you can legitimately *buy* the rounds [Big Grin]

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bar has really lost a lot of its appeal now there's an organic beer tent, hasn't it?

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll be going again (and a certain person is rather excited about the idea of having her birthday & becoming a teenager at Greenbelt next year).

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Ophthalmos:
The bar has really lost a lot of its appeal now there's an organic beer tent, hasn't it?

No.

Although the noise in the Winged Ox was rather loud.

--------------------

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
It means that from next year you can legitimately *buy* the rounds [Big Grin]

Bugger!

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Yay for the beer tent" commented Papio, intelligently.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:

It never had any appeal. No proper beer=no appeal.

--------------------

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My band have been provisionally invited back to the YMCA tent. Karl, guessing from your comments on the 2006 thread you're going to be really pleased to here us again [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[typo]hear[/typo]

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

It never had any appeal. No proper beer=no appeal.
And, quite often far too noisy inside to sit and chat with anyone, and the steps made chatting with more than a couple of people impossible. Though, the one time I poked my head into the beer tent last year it was no better. I never did get a pint there - I never saw any Ship people there, though I was assured that there should have been.

But, if you want to sit and chat with people I suppose the Tiny Tea Tent is a better option anyway. Greenebelt isn't really an event that lends itself to lots of drinking. Far too many other things to do (including getting enough sleep to be up to do things in the morning).

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanna come but I don't want to camp. Will the uni accomodation be available next year?
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read up a bit, I think its on this thread, Emma is talking about booking. So, yeah, I am assuming it will be available, but how quickly it all sells out from the moment booking is allowed I dont know!

No convincing you that camping really enhances the Gb experience? [Biased]

L

(edited to add - ok, so dont read up as I cant find it, but I am sure Emma was talking about it somewhere-maybe the other thread)

[ 04. September 2006, 12:10: Message edited by: Lookin ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping to convince my husband that non-camping is the way forward. we'll see!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:
My band have been provisionally invited back to the YMCA tent. Karl, guessing from your comments on the 2006 thread you're going to be really pleased to here us again [Big Grin]

Just practice singing in tune for an entire year and it might be bearable.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously thinking about it. I've never made it to Greenbelt before. Mrs B and I camp. I'm sure 64 isn't too old ....

Think it was the ref to Jonny Baker (other thread) that did it. He's a good guy. I've known him since he worked for YFC but haven't seen him for a few years.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn R:
I'm hoping to convince my husband that non-camping is the way forward. we'll see!

you sound pretty convinced, lol.

having said that, if I was in a position of having someone to convince that maybe camping wasnt the best, then I think I would be doing it!

Although, despite Saturday morning problems with the loo's, I have to say it really wasnt *that* bad an experience.

And the rain, well, they were light showers compared to the two weeks camping experience I had had just before.

If I make it, which I am hoping to now, (feeling a bit more positive about the whole weekend after catching up on sleep) I think camping will be the way for me mind.

Geordie : I managed to miss every single set of yours during the weekend, and literally made it to the Ymca tent during your last song on the last night. Hope you enjoyed yourselves, and I had good things about the Ska Mass you did.
Shame I missed it, as I had it down as things I wanted to do.

Maybe next year ...

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016