homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Through the Lens (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Through the Lens
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just thinking of having a go at Project 365, I registered today; I'm an ardent taker of photos and have been since I got a Brownie 127 as a present when I was 11, over half a century ago! My current #1 camera is a slight advance on the Brownie!

Anyone else thinking of doing, or actually doing, Project 365? [I know there are from Facebook but I'm not about to out anyone.]

Anyone else want to talk about photography?

If this sinks like a stone then I suppose I will have my answer.

[ 03. January 2012, 07:00: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter Erin has done this project twice, posting her photos on flikr. (Hope I've spelled it right!)
She found it arduous at times, feeling pressure to find something worth photographing and putting online every day.
But she must have missed it once she'd finished the first one as she quite soon did the second.
As for me, I loved seeing a picture from her everyday.
She's so creative, and I could see what she was up to!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I were but a lass, I were really into photography - had an non-automatic camera with built-in light meter. Have just spent a year totally cameraless and am about to remedy that, so might join project 365 in celebration. I'll have to think about it. I will seriously think about it.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't done it, but I know people who have. For me, the difficulty would be taking just one photo a day. Parceling out my photos, I guess—I don't take pictures every day, but on days I do take them, I take a lot. One time I went out, with a fresh camera battery, for a walk around the lake right in front of my building (it's 3 miles around the lake's shore) and came home with a dead battery and over 300 photos. Oops. See, almost a year's worth in one afternoon! Thank God for digital cameras!

NB: I'm not a real photographer. I use a point & shoot automatic setting. My only talent in photography is composition. The rest I need to let my camera do, and often I'm frustrated at not being able to focus just how I want to or at not getting the light settings quite right. So I consider myself a "snapshot photographer," and the art, such as it is, for me is in framing something in order to see it deliberately and perhaps differently than one would ordinarily.

I've done a different sort of exercise on my own, though. Once when I was walking the 6-1/2 miles home from school (I try to do that once a week for the exercise and leisure) I decided to find a picture to take every 100 steps. It was an interesting way to force myself to look at my surroundings very deliberate and find something to get a picture of even where nothing obvious presented itself. It slowed my walk down quite a bit, though, so I haven't done it again.

So anyway, I wanted to ask this question of those of you doing Project 365: I imagine you take more than one photo at least some of the days; do you find it hard to be deliberate about what you choose for your 365 focus? Is the challenge really in taking a photograph every day, or is it more in sharing it online? I suppose if you're going to share them all online, you want to be sure they're both interesting and good.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm one of the facebookers Wodders mentions above. I'm not a photographer in any sense. in fact, all my my photos are being taken on my little iPhone.

I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it. It's making me think differently. looking for the photo of the day. it makes me look at everything differently. noticing detail, light, what's in the background.
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

So anyway, I wanted to ask this question of those of you doing Project 365: I imagine you take more than one photo at least some of the days; do you find it hard to be deliberate about what you choose for your 365 focus? Is the challenge really in taking a photograph every day, or is it more in sharing it online? I suppose if you're going to share them all online, you want to be sure they're both interesting and good.

I have days where my last action of the day is taking a quick picture of the cat, because I was so busy. it's not perfect. that's probably my biggest problem.

I take lots of pictures on the days that I remember. I don't struggle really with picking one. I look at them all and decide which one best reflects the day for me. I might have some really interesting, beautiful shots, but instead use the silly picture of my son hunting for eggs because it's easter. (for instance) if I want to share the rest in other ways I can.

the fun thing about this project is that "interesting and good" sometimes would keep me from sharing anything at all. one day the only thing I had was this weird blurry jobby that I have no idea what was going on what I took it. but it's all I had for that day so I used it. I have a lot of those kinds of photos, actually.

but - I still really enjoy the challenge of finding just one image that day to reflect that day for me somehow. it's altering the way I look at things.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd consider it but there's a drawback. I have an Olympus digital camera which has given me very good service for many years. I've only ever really been a point and shoot photographer, although some have been very good indeed. However, it's getting a bit tired and grumpy now, so when I received some money, I bought a Nikon D3100 digital SLR. Sort of entry level for that sort of camera but a huge jump for me. It's been a steep learning curve for me as my mind tends to blur over when faced with pages about apertures etc.

I'm getting there but I wonder if the pressure of a daily photo is going to make me reluctant to take any.

It would be a good way of getting practice in. I'll think about it.

[ 25. April 2011, 21:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
NB: I'm not a real photographer.

No, no, no, this is not the attitude to take!
First, do not underplay composition. It is one of the key elements of a good photo, if not the most important. The focus and lighting issues are likely due to your camera in large part. Most point and clicks have serious limitations.
One can work within those limitations and still produce very nice images.
The biggest mistake most people make, IMO, is not taking any camera they use as a potential serious tool. Often imposing limits on oneself forces one to think in new ways.

I am seriously considering doing project 365. My hesitations are I am fairly reticent to show my work. I make the effort from time to time, but it is difficult.The project may help with this and also force me to break entrenched shooting habits.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a corollary to Lil Buddha's point, the thing that made the most difference to my photography was... Wait for it, you're going to enjoy this!

Discovering the simple pleasures of the box camera!

I kid you not - falling in with someone clearing a fridge of old film and with a love of elderly cameras did wonders for my photography, because with just eight shots to a roll I had to THINK about what I was doing.

AG

Wot no sig?

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
However, it's getting a bit tired and grumpy now, so when I received some money, I bought a Nikon D3100 digital SLR. Sort of entry level for that sort of camera but a huge jump for me. It's been a steep learning curve for me as my mind tends to blur over when faced with pages about apertures etc.

I'm getting there but I wonder if the pressure of a daily photo is going to make me reluctant to take any.

It would be a good way of getting practice in. I'll think about it.

Forget the manual for a bit, just shoot. The P mode should give you all the flexibility needed until you are more comfortable with the camera.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I leave my camera on Auto most of the time so it is like a point and press, except bulkier - I am still learning about what it can and cannot do. Composition is the key thing for me.

I'm hoping to get my little compact camera back today so then I will be able to just slip a camera in my pocket if I am going somewhere where I don't want to take the bulkier one - I can't tell you the number of times over the years I have been caught camera-less when a good subject has appeared in front of me.

I took a photo of a couple of Teddy Bears last night to start me off on the 365 - it wasn't all that good but it was a start, so now I just have to keep going. As I have already taken well over 1,000 photos since the beginning of the year it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I treat my SLR as a "real" camera, but often treat my pocket camera as a toy. As a result, photos from the smaller camera have been less than they could be.
If I do this Project, I shall use the pocket camera more.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I still really enjoy the challenge of finding just one image that day to reflect that day for me somehow. it's altering the way I look at things.

I am hoping this exercise will do the same for me. I am also looking at it as a meditation of a sort. And a way of appreciating what is around me.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As I am alone this morning and my morning appointment has been cancelled I had breakfast alone on the verandah and had my camera with me, then I wandered around the front yard taking a few snaps, a couple of which would easily "do" for today - and it is not 09.30 yet!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am another one who could easily get involved in this. I have folders and folders of photos from last week (taking pictures for the church website, which I'm yet to put up on line - it's been busy). I did take pictures every day between Wednesday (PeteC meet) and yesterday. I'll have a think about it.

How are you going to post it on Flickr? A separate set?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm interested, but not sure about signing up on the website.

Lothlorien - my mind also tends to blur over when faced with a table of apertures, but it's still possible to either rely on the automatic settings or experiment and find that a photo works. Most photographers started this way. I'm getting there with the aperture/shutter thing, as I think it's a bit silly having a DSLR and not using it to its best advantage after months of having it, but agree it is something of a learning curve.

I also have a compact as backup which mostly takes better pictures than the automatic settings on the DSLR. Composition is half the key; don't be afraid to crop pictures when necessary to frame them better.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The idea of taking one photo a day seems . . . well, excessive. And a chore for someone like me who spends a nice bit of time traversing the same paths—I'm not sure how many photos of my bookshelf other people really want to see.

Plus, aren't there already enough hipsters out there who think photography is an easy art form and that owning a DSLR or something from Lomography makes them a Creative?

Which is why we're so much better—my toy camera is vintage. It's even more pretentious than yours could ever be. I would tell you what I use, but you've probably never heard of it.

/sarcasticpseudohipster

In all seriousness, though, I do love my old film cameras, even if medium format film for the Diana 151 gets expensive. I'm quite willing to admit that the primary reason my photos sometimes turn out so well is because of my outdated and quirky equipment—the Diana leaks light and doesn't focus at the edges, the 70-year-old Argus C3 Colormatic hasn't got a shutter speed faster than 300 (and requires you to focus it using a prism and lens system in a separate viewfinder), to say nothing of its nasty tendency to jolt when the shutter arming lever thumps against your hand when you press the red button—but it's all part of their Charm.

Actually, even my "modern" cameras have Issues—the digital point-and-shoot I carried through Europe broke its lens cover before I hit Chartres, so several of my photos taken with it have an odd shadow in the "corners" (you know, everything but a diagonal stripe running through the middle of the frame), and I think my phone's camera must have been a reject that made it to the production line anyway. Even Hipstamatic can't make it look like a "real" camera.

In my vanity, though, I actually kinda like some of my silly little photos.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Three of my FB friends are doing 365. I really enjoy following them. I find they are endlessly inventive in their photo taking - and take some brilliant shots.

I intend to join in when I have time - which will mean when I've finished my MA.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DP to add:
Those of you who wear/should wear glasses and use a manual focus SLR . . . keep 'em on. Back when I was younger, we had an automatic nothing Vivitar SLR—I think the only aid you got was a rudimentary light meter off to the side of the viewfinder. No autofocus, autozoom, autolightmetering, nothing. Also, this was back in the day where film was still the rule, not the weird exception for oddball hobbyists—so no viewscreen to tell you if you'd mucked something up.
I've been pretty durn nearsighted in my right eye for most my life, but was able to ignore it, since my left one is mostly alright—farsighted, if anything. Thus, I never wore glasses regularly.

Seeing a whole roll of film focused properly for my blind-as-a-bat bad eye was what convinced my parents that the Time of No Glasses needed to end.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm using this site for my photo a day thing and I use Flickr for my more general photo sharing; I suppose I could use Facebook for that but it is just another task and I'm told that the resolution for Facebook pics isn't that good.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
The idea of taking one photo a day seems . . . well, excessive. And a chore for someone like me who spends a nice bit of time traversing the same paths—I'm not sure how many photos of my bookshelf other people really want to see.

It's not compulsory. [Biased]

The weather has been so beautiful in the past few days that I've been out each day and have nearly 200 photos. OK, some are trial photos which I'll delete, but I'll be left with a decent bank of spring and seasonal images.

I usually find something is worth looking at even in day to day surroundings: one point of photography is to take something ordinary out of context, and try to show the intrinsic beauty of it, so that you see it as if almost for the first time. That can be in the light and shadow, or in a play of colours, or in the outlines, the texture, the pattern something makes.

If you look around you, almost everything you see in your home has been designed by somebody; there's been a conscious choice to make it like "this" and not like "that". We're surrounded by minor little art creations all the time and are so saturated by them that we don't even notice most of them any more. Your bookshelf is probably full of colours and designs, logos, pictures on covers. I'm not suggesting you rush over and photograph it, just that it might be more interesting than you think.

I think the project would also tell each photographer something about themselves: what they choose to focus on over the course of a year (people? places? work settings?) as well as being good practice. Some days will be easier than others, but I'm intrigued.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooops - I took over 300 on Wednesday, another 200+ on Friday (children's Good Friday service, Churches Together Walk of Witness), quite a few on Thursday, Saturday I took 150 ish and 100 on Sunday. Yesterday I only took a handful and the reflections were so unhelpful I deleted all but 2 of them.

There will be photo pages on the church website out of this, and most were action pictures of people doing things, so not carefully composed and considered pictures, but desperately trying to catch something fun.

One I missed and would have loved a shot of was the children choristers all running down to the front to get their Easter eggs on Easter Sunday, but I wasn't quick enough.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jack the lass is doing project 365, if I remember correctly. The photos are on her blog.

[ 26. April 2011, 09:18: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I signed up on WW's link. First photo here. I was hurrying out to get to a family reunion this morning a couple of hours away and was taken by the raindrops on my bedroom window. It was very dark and I had trouble getting the setting right. Am planning on using this as a learning experience. Rain drops are fuzzy.

Thanks to those who suggested it re using P function on camera. I have done this but want to expand my knowledge. This photo was an attempt.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Loth, I think that is where manual focus comes in, if you can leave exposure and aperture on automatic and just manually focus on the raindrops that should help. Depending on how fuzzy you want stuff outside the window you could then mess with the other stuff.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:

It's not compulsory. [Biased]

I usually find something is worth looking at even in day to day surroundings: one point of photography is to take something ordinary out of context, and try to show the intrinsic beauty of it, so that you see it as if almost for the first time. That can be in the light and shadow, or in a play of colours, or in the outlines, the texture, the pattern something makes.

If you look around you, almost everything you see in your home has been designed by somebody; there's been a conscious choice to make it like "this" and not like "that". We're surrounded by minor little art creations all the time and are so saturated by them that we don't even notice most of them any more. Your bookshelf is probably full of colours and designs, logos, pictures on covers. I'm not suggesting you rush over and photograph it, just that it might be more interesting than you think.

See, and that's exactly the problem: people like me who spend hours staring at our bookshelves* because they're unintentional art should *not* be given cameras!

*Sadly, I'm not exaggerating.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Ariel and Lothlorian,

In the P mode, one can shift the aperture/shutter-speed combination. The ratio between them remains the same, but the resultant photo is different. By experimenting with this, one can ease into a more manual approach.
WW is correct about using manual focus in such situations. Also, your camera likely has multiple focus zones. By default, many cameras are set to choose their own spot. Most will allow one to force the camera to use a particular zone. Personally, I lock mine to the center focus zone. Aim the focus zone at that which you want to be sharpest, press the shutter release halfway, recompose and depress fully.

AA, much more of that hipster garbage and, after we put paid to MT for his heresy, I shall be slapping you with a glove next.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
AA & Loth - I found a useful "Insider Secrets" book by Chris Weston that I'm gradually working through having finally got a digital SLR late last year - it's helping me to understand what the camera offers me, as well as suggested practices. I often go back to the more automatic settings, or even to my little happy-snappy camera, but slowly and (hopefully) surely I'm getting there with the new one. Maybe this project is what I need to keep the momentum up - one of the practices is to imagine a title for what you are taking and ask yourself who your audience would be for it... I usually only keep a handful of what I take even when I'm not doing any familiarisation shots and I wonder if these extra guidelines have slowed me down even further.

For a few times this year I will have absolutely no www access, for up to 2 weeks at a time. Does anyone know what happens then? Do I post the daily ones all at once after I get back online?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
...For a few times this year I will have absolutely no www access, for up to 2 weeks at a time. Does anyone know what happens then? Do I post the daily ones all at once after I get back online?

From what I understood when skimming through the guidelines yesterday the answer to that is yes, you can upload stuff later.

I must try and replicate one of my shots this morning sometime tomorrow as I think I want to post it as tomorrow's pic - or perhaps I'll keep that idea in reserve for later and see what I see in the city tomorrow.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh, what fun! My old Sanyo died (lens jammed in extruded position - would have cost more to fix than a new one) so I've recently bought a Fujifilm AV100 - nothing terribly special as I'm not a terribly special photographer (tho' the new camera has 14 megapixels compared to the 8.1 on the previous one and was actually cheaper in absolute terms as well!).

Thanks very much, WW, for the 365project site - my flickr's nearly full and I don't really want to pay for the pro upgrade. Looking forward to a year's photodocumenting which will, hopefully, improve my skills from the current *point and click* mode.

First effort

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well OK. I'm in, up and running. So let's see how long it takes before I pull out.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Alright, I am up with a self-portrait.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
brill [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
my goodness, lilbuddha, you certainly caught the sun there

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm up with some photos here

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently sold this guy a handlebar bag: he comes across like a nice guy so here's a plug.

http://www.ninasbuick.com/

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our daughter got a superior camera (don't ask me!) and did an internet-based photography course. She takes lots of photos most days, and has been doing the 365 project since early this year. We love finding them each day – the grandchildren are very photogenic and are past putting on pose or a face for the camera, but they are not her sole subjects.

On a rare day when she hasn't had her camera out she uses an earlier shot.

Having been a keen photographer in my younger days I bought an excellent camera a few years ago, but about that time I developed shaky hands, so I need something pretty solid to rest it on, and I'm not prepared to cart around a tripod. So I won't be doing the 365 project.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Well done, Welease Woderick, your chair picture is up in the new faces selection! (You may need to shuffle to find it)

Has anyone else noticed the weekly themes? This week it is remembrance, chosen by the winner last week, because ANZAC day was earlier this week, but as wide as you want it. (I took the Easter Lilies partly to see if I could take a picture to a theme, partly to refocus after an *interesting* morning.)

Is anyone manipulating their photos here? The tips on using black and white were all about how to manipulate the photographs. How do others feel about that?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It depends what you mean by "manipulation". I entered a photographic competition last year (and got nowhere) and one of the rules was "Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated. Entrants can enhance the picture to make it brighter, clearer etc, but not manipulate the content."

My own feelings are that some cropping is acceptable (but not airbrushing), as is a little lightening if the picture is too dark, though I draw the line at retouching different bits of the picture to different levels and think you shouldn't need to use "unsharp mask". If you have to do that, then your photographic skills need improvement.

I don't see the point in taking pics in colour then desaturating them if you have a black and white setting on your camera. If you don't have one and you want greyscale, I don't see anything wrong with using software to greyscale it, provided you're honest about it. I'm not sure this counts as manipulation as such - it's not like blending in an image from somewhere else.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yes, for the church website I regularly crop to fit and I do occasionally lighten images if they are too dark, but then I'm taking action shots and don't often have the time to compose or reset anything and record what is happening. The other one is straightening by a degree or so.

The images on the 365 project I've put up are as I've taken them, although I think I might have straightened one. I used the black and white option on the camera, partly as a way of looking at things differently. But for me it's an exercise in composition and learning the camera functions better.

On the 365 Project site remembrance theme there are a number of black and white images with just one thing coloured - one poppy or similar. There are also two versions of the same picture with the sky photoshopped in two different ways. Looking around the site, I'd say more than half the images being put up are manipulated to a greater or lesser extent. One picture of the view through a window that is on the new faces page had the sky made bluer and additional light lines added - which seems to me more an exercise in manipulation than photography.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks, CK, I was very chuffed to find my chair on New Faces, though I so wish I had swept the floor of the dead beetle before I took the shot! Perhaps folks will think it was placed artfully, or something!

I sometimes crop a shot, two of the shots I have put on the site have been cropped. I sometimes try monochrome but usually take in colour then convert on the PC though there is a very handy setting on the camera. I also straighten shots on the PC even though I usually have the lines switched on in the viewfinder, or on the screen.

I have just had the thought that one day I shall have a B&W day and leave the camera on that setting all day just to experiment, back in the 1960s colour film was way beyond the means of a poor schoolboy with a rather disgusting nicotine habit so it was all black and white.

My current frustration is that I am taking shots in the morning, liking one enough to post it then taking more shots later, some of which I like even more! One of the "problems" of living here and having a fair amount of time is that there is just so much to photograph!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just discovered that my camera has a Sunset* setting so I tried it and it is fab! I'm not sure that tonight's sunset will be tomorrow's photo as

a] it wasn't that wonderful as sunsets here go; and

b] we have a busy day tomorrow planned with loads of good photo opportunities

but it's an idea I can keep for the future.

*It apparently intensifies colours in the sunset spectrum so on days of spectacular sunsets it will be a boon - and with monsoon approaching we should get a fair few of them!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

CK, your Easter Lilies is on New Faces as well!

Congrats!

--------------------

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A photo a day seems like a great challenge. Unfortunately, not for me as I don't have the opportunity to take photos most days. Work keeps getting in the way [Frown]

WW, good luck with this as it's a great way to push yourself to find great pictures among the ordinary. Also a good way to discover what your camera can do - there are so many settings to play with on modern cameras.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It depends what you mean by "manipulation". I entered a photographic competition last year (and got nowhere) and one of the rules was "Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated. Entrants can enhance the picture to make it brighter, clearer etc, but not manipulate the content."

My own feelings are that some cropping is acceptable (but not airbrushing), as is a little lightening if the picture is too dark, though I draw the line at retouching different bits of the picture to different levels and think you shouldn't need to use "unsharp mask". If you have to do that, then your photographic skills need improvement.

I don't see the point in taking pics in colour then desaturating them if you have a black and white setting on your camera. If you don't have one and you want greyscale, I don't see anything wrong with using software to greyscale it, provided you're honest about it. I'm not sure this counts as manipulation as such - it's not like blending in an image from somewhere else.

Where to start.
1st: The black and white setting on your camera is using software to remove the colour data.* The only difference between doing this in camera or in computer is the level of control. And the algorithms.
2nd: Many of the great photographers of the film era manipulated their images in the darkroom. Burning, dodging, filters to increase contrast, etc. This is why an Ansel Adams print done by him, or under his direction, fetches a far greater sum than one printed from his negatives by anyone else.
Digital sensors in small format** photography have less tonal sensitivity than 35mm film. You also cannot switch sensors for a different tonal effects as you can film.
In a nutshell, to obtain equivalency with film, the digital photographer often must manipulate the image.
In terms of viewing an image, I believe any means are acceptable.
For my own photos, I attempt to do only what could have been done in a darkroom.

* Digital sensors are sensitive to blue, green or red and intensity.
** 35mm equivalent and the smaller sensored P&S cameras

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I am finding this project a little frustrating. I am attempting to use my pocket camera, but its lack of control is difficult to adjust to. The worst is the lack of control over focus. The camera does have a manual focus mode, but is is woefully inadequate.
On my photbucket page, you can see I am fairly traditional in my approach.*
With project 360, I am attempting to be more spur of the moment, more find an opportunity anywhere. Not the way my photographic mind works for the most part. This will be good in the end, I hope. Rocky start though.

*manipulation limited to darkroom techniques for all images. Two of the moon shots are double exposure.

ETA: Ever try to edit a misspelling and end up spelling it even worse?

[ 29. April 2011, 16:54: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

L'ilBuddha, I'm using a pocket camera and I know the pictures I want to achieve are mostly produced on SLR or DSLR cameras. The pocket camera doesn't have the control to produce the macro pictures, for example, or the ability to change the focus or aperture beyond what is there. You can't change lenses.

But that still leaves composition and lighting and tracking things in action shots within my control, and improving them will improve my photography

There are a couple of people on Project 365 seeing what they can achieve with the camera on their mobile phone - both the manipulation and taking of the pictures.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

This is my challenge, to see beyond the camera. I am trying. It has only been a few days, perhaps I need to work on my patience as well. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

lilBuddha, the photos on your photobucket page are amazing!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

[Hot and Hormonal] Thank you WW!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Both my elderly Canon S3-1S and my new Fuji S1800 don't like Ni-MH batteries. The Fuji was unhappy this morning despite the brand new Ni-MH batteries being put in last night, fully charged and with the thingy being swapped over to Ni-MH; so I swapped back during the homily to Alkalines, swapped the thingy back to Alkalines and it started to behave itself and performed impeccably from then on.

The Canon was never happy on Ni-MH and they never seemed to last long.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016