homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings, all...

With the permission of the hosts, I thought I'd try posting a general support thread for those of us who are unemployed, underemployed, simply looking for a better job, or exploring a complete change in vocation.

Here's a couple of websites I've found to be of help:

I've got a couple questions of my own, but I thought I would at least get the thread up and running for now.

[Votive] Heavenly Father, we remember before you those who suffer want and anxiety from lack of work. Guide the people of this land so to use our public and private wealth that all may find suitable and fulfilling employment, and receive just payment for their labor; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (BCP, p. 824)

[ 28. May 2013, 14:31: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay...

Due to some personal issues mentioned elsewhere, I've bumped around a lot between jobs in the past few years, without spending too much time at any one particular company. Also, some health issues have been a factor in me being let go from several jobs.

Is there a good way to put a positive "spin" on this either in my cover letter and/or during an interview without being misleading, yet without airing ten years worth of my medical history or personal dirty laundry?

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In constructing the resume, one way to avoid drawing attention to employment gaps is to do a "functional" type of resume instead of a chronological one. Instead of starting with a list of jobs and job descriptions, write descriptions of your key accomplishments/achievements and then sort them into categories. For you as an architect, I imagine there would be categories like design, implementation, that sort of thing.

Just one quick thought off the top of my head...

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good idea for a thread, Living in Gin. I am a (recent) graduate doing a menial clerical job and living with my parents while I try and find work in publishing. It's not proving as easy as I naively imagined...

I can't offer resume advice, as I've no idea about conventions in the US (beyond that they're different to UK ones), but I hope you can find a way round it. [Votive]

[ 25. February 2005, 09:11: Message edited by: Linguo ]

Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Living in Gin,

I agree with Mamacita about writing your CV to reflect your skills and experience, rather than writing a chronological list of jobs that you have had.

It is best to write a fresh curriculum vitae for each job you are applying for (or for each organisation you are sending a speculative CV to). This will allow you to place greater emphasis on the skills and experience you possess that you feel different employers are looking for.

This can be difficult if you are asked to complete an application form, as these will usually be chronological. In which case you will have to be honest but don't go into too much detail. Having been involved in recruitment and selection in the past, I can say that most employers really don't want to know about your 'personal dirty laundry' unless it has a direct impact on the job they want you to do. They recognise that people have lives outside the workplace that do not necessarily fit with their corporate image.

When you get to your interview you may wish to discuss health issues with the panel. This serves two purposes: 1. the employer may be able to accommodate any special needs that you have, 2. you can judge from the panel's response whether you will feel comfortable working in their organisation's culture.

It is important to let a prospective employer know about any health issues that could affect your ability to do your job BEFORE you start work. If an employer feels that you have misled them, you may find yourself out of a job very quickly. If on the otherhand, you are open about your needs you will be surprised how accommodating many organisations will be to support staff (that's my experience in the UK).

Remember that there is a skills shortage in many countries. This is not just about IT skills, plumbing etc.. but about transferable skills. As an example my organisation uses computers as a central part of its job but does not look for computer skills in potential employees. What it looks for are people who can work well in teams, communicate well with customers and colleagues, can take responsibility for their work, etc. If your CV provides specific examples of how you possess these skills (either in or out of the workplace), you will be on to a winner.

Sorry for the rambling reply. Good luck to everyone looking for a job.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to say Ill be joining you in the quest...

wanted - meaningful employment that wont lead to nervous breakdown, that uses my skilss, with nice colleagues and enough pay to live on and relatively near nice peeps [Smile]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
wanted - meaningful employment that wont lead to nervous breakdown, that uses my skilss, with nice colleagues and enough pay to live on and relatively near nice peeps [Smile]

When you find it, do let me know!
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

- Posted      Profile for Gambit   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Foolishly hoped for by Emma.:
Wanted - meaningful employment that won't lead to nervous breakdown, that uses my skills, with nice colleagues and enough pay to live on and relatively near nice peeps

Doesn't exist honey. When you get to Heaven perhaps, but not in this fleshy life. However, this fleshy life has fringe benefits.

All and sundry, don't forget the London Anniversary Meet tomorrow. Museum Tavern, 7.30pm.

--------------------
There is a little bit of my mitral regurgitation that is forever yours.

Wiblog: Now being updated less than regularly (again).

Posts: 1105 | From: the best bar in Heaven | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:

Come up to Scotland and job hunt with me. [Big Grin] There's all sorts of different job opportunities, your money will stretch farther here, and the Scots are lovely people.

[ 25. February 2005, 16:23: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:
Foolishly hoped for by Emma.:
Wanted - meaningful employment that won't lead to nervous breakdown, that uses my skills, with nice colleagues and enough pay to live on and relatively near nice peeps

Doesn't exist honey. When you get to Heaven perhaps, but not in this fleshy life. However, this fleshy life has fringe benefits.

These jobs do exist, but there are so many people and so many jobs that coming across *your* job is a pretty remote chance.

Best option (which I once achieved, within a gnat's whisker) was to take a job that was close to what I wanted then alter the job from within by getting involved in areas of choice as the overall amount of work in our area grew. It collapsed when the work I enjoyed disappeared leaving only those tasks I didn't like - which had been hived off to colleagues!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've an interview tomorrow for something that seems really interesting- I've hurt my wrist so can't type much so was given some time at work to think about any skunkworks, and surfing around toolsmiths noticed one of the companies was hiring.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a bit confused about why there are two adjacent threads running on the same topic?

As a general rule, I'd counsel that you don't apply for jobs which require you to fill in an online form, they're for lazy, undiscerning HR departments. In fact, I'd avoid HR departments like the plague until the happy day when a functional line manager wheels you in to fill in your pay details. Ditto recruitment firms, why put your future into the hands of someone who'd be doing your job themselves if they knew anything about it?
Be pro-active, do some research, find a mentor, and then approach employers directly without waiting to see a job ad. Send your CV to the manager next up the line from whoever runs the department you want to join. So if you're a new graduate mech eng, looking for a design engineer job at GM, find out who is the boss of the boss running the design department. The sheer exercise of research necessary to select your target is worthwhile in itself, and will impress a selector. And the armour-plating which you develop from taking the first few, or few hundred!, knock-backs is character-building. Write or e-mail to your pre-researched target with your CV and a cover-letter which highlights your building-block skills (team player, energy, quick mind, loyalty, whatever), say that you'll call in a couple of days or so to ask for a meeting (not too soon, give time to read and consider, not too late, no more than four or five days) and then CALL and ASK FOR A MEETING.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it partly depends on the job sector youre going for tho? (to above post)

and to flausa - hmmm lovely idea.

Ive decided to finish my pgce (if i can find placements ) which means my pgce and my accomodation finish in july...

after then im a free bird!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all who are looking for work.

I [Votive] for your interviews

and for your cover letters

and for you all to be guided to the people who know somebody who knows somebody who will get you in the right place at the right time for that job you enjoy.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now, for the other side of me to speak:

I understand many of you guys will know this stuff, but just a quick point.

What foaming draught is describing is a variation on what is called the informational interview. I guess in Australia, as in Canada, it really helps in finding a job. I don't want to suggest this technique is universally a good idea. But, it did help me decide what sort of job I wanted, and helped me to see the jobs that, although I thought I would really enjoy them, I found I would probably hate.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all. And I'll be joining you all soon. I will, God willing, finish my TESOL PG Certificate in June, and then be off finding a job. After (only) six years in IT, I can't wait to get out -- but I'm a tad nervous about the career change now!

I'm hoping to get a job in Germany for a year or so; both for experience, and so I can attend friends' weddings over there! [Big Grin] I think I better start the research soon so I can get everything in order.

[ 04. March 2005, 03:16: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still hunting here (whilst temping to keep a bit of money coming in). I've actually had 3 additional offers for interviews, but they have either been for crap shift hours or not enough hours to justify the travelling time.

But it has been nice to find out that my qualifications/skills are interesting enough to warrant interviews. Oh, and the company that I did interview for but turned down (again because of bad shift hours), asked if they could please keep my information on file in case something more suitable comes up. [Big Grin]

I have to say that something that's making this search easier is that I can be a bit selective and look for the best hours/location/pay for me. Hubby's being very supportive as well.

ONUnicorn
Shipmate
# 7331

- Posted      Profile for ONUnicorn   Email ONUnicorn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a question - What do people think about professional resume writers? Has anyone ever used one? Do they help? Are they worth the money they charge?

--------------------
"A pig's snout is NOT an electrical outlet."

Posts: 637 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I'll hop onto this thread as I have recently been struck with the realization that graduation (for a Masters in my second career area) is only 2 months away and I have no clear idea what I want to do after that ... also, I have no actual job-hunting skills, as every job I've ever had in my life has been handed to me (someone I know calling up to say, "We have an opening, you should apply" sort of thing) as opposed to ever having to go out and look for a job. In this new field I have very few connections so I don't think jobs will be handed to me; my ultimate goal is to start my own business (private counselling practice) but I don't think it's practical to jump straight from grad school to private practice ... so I have to figure out how to sell myself to potential employers and get an actual job. Very daunting.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ONUnicorn:
Here's a question - What do people think about professional resume writers? Has anyone ever used one? Do they help? Are they worth the money they charge?

I'm a professional reader of CVs. A professionally-written one stands out a mile and makes me suspicious; why do this candidate's qualities need this cosmetic? Another problem with them is that each CV should be targeted for the post to which you're applying, there is no One Size Fits All.
And I look between the lines of a CV or cover letter to try to find a person, not an engineer or accountant or sales manager. A professionally written CV might hide that person.
Perhaps they're more use if you're applying speculatively to a company (or school or hospital) which isn't advertising. But even then, the CV should be edited for the target.
However, job-seekers need a confidence-boost, I know, and if feeling good about yourself because your CV is elegantly laid-out gives you that boost, perhaps the expenditure is worth it.
As with any other area of life, one knowledgeable, concerned lay friend is worth half a dozen detached professional advisers.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How soon is too soon to start looking for another job? The one I have is interesting, but the pay rises won't cover my bills for much longer, and the commuting is getting me down. (I don't earn enough to be able to relocate anywhere nearer.) I've done nearly 6 months in this one. Is it unreasonable to start applying now?

[ 05. March 2005, 04:44: Message edited by: Ariel ]

# 3200

It's Monday...the day that many people lose jobs, or realise they have to look for work now after the weekend, or have realised once again they really hate their job and want to get out.

For all those facing employment issues, [Votive]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK. I've been wondering about retraining to go into IT support. I've been looking at some courses advertised on the web, but they seem phenomenally expensive. Also, I'm not sure what would be a good qualification to have. Any suggestions?

And how easy is it to get into IT support by way of a mid-life career change, anyway? I have no formal experience in this area, just years of being the first point of contact for troubleshooting in almost every job I've had.

Pros and cons please? Apart from users who don't want to remember what you tell them and possibly the working unsociable hours thing, I've found my limited experience of it interesting and rewarding.

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
OK. I've been wondering about retraining to go into IT support.

There is a worldwide shortage of good IT support people. Finding your way into a particular job after training might not be simple, so training with an outfit which has good employer contacts is important. This might not be a commercial organisation which says that it "guarantees" a job, it might be your friendly local college of further education. Career-change new entrants ought to be more sought-after than they are, they have maturity, a grasp of the business of which IT is just a tool and often they have battle-experience of desktop support in the real world.
Microsoft still dominate IT environments (not mine it doesn't), proof that evil flourishes, so a MCSE is always a useful qualification. Depending on your prior experience, a so-called A+ certificate is a good foundation for understanding hardware. I think that you'd find tuition for that at a local college, you don't have to fork out huge sums to a commercial training outfit.
Hardware is dead dependable nowadays (he says inviting a power-failure), so software, especially networking protocols and set-up, is the way to go.
Cisco courses will make you useful to IT departments. As Voice-over-IP (VOIP or VoiP)takes over from traditional PSTN telephony, Cisco people will be worth their weight in gold for voice communications alone.
Do you have any experience, even as a user, of Unix or its Linux-flavoured or Sun Solaris operating systems? Linux is making big inroads into business computing, and perhaps all that stops many firms from migrating is a shortage of support engineers. RedHat is the most frequently encountered Linux "distribution" for business, but once you've got a grip of any Unix variant, you can look after any of them.
Go for it, I'd say, mature entrants to IT have lots to offer. Does an online course allow you to earn money elsewhere while you're studying?
Microsoft (MCSE) certification is perhaps a more assured path to a job right now, Cisco certification will soon be a killer qualification, and Unix (or Linux or Sun Solaris) training will bring more personal satisfaction and the assurance that the organisation you're working for is deploying IT products from an ethical supplier [Biased]

--------------------

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By no means wanting to appear exclusive in my focus...

I feel I should write a post in support of those who have skills, qualifications, and interests in working in the area of performing arts, media production, visual arts and the like.

If there are any people in this situation feel free to pipe up.

The entertainment production industry is quite unusual in that it has people working at high levels who don't possess much in the way of formal qualifications.
At times I feel I am the only one who understands what I do and that can be depressing, even though it's not true.

I work in sound production (mainly for television at the moment) and have side interests in photography and would love to do some writing of sorts.
Like many in the industry, I work as a freelancer, and there are times of feeling seriously underemployed, counteracted by periods of intense work. It has always paid the bills so far, and apart from a short stint working in retail, it is the only life I've known since embarking on the career. Making a living from an overgrown hobby is excellent (as long as you have other leisure interests that are not work-related). In the last year I've had something of a fairly stable and predictable work schedule with one particular employer. Other gigs that pop up I am usually able to fit around this.

Until you feel you are truly established and known around the place, it is necessary to do all sorts of gigs within the industry to pay the bills and build up experience.
The good thing about freelancing is that from time to time really interesting projects come up and it's wonderful for the ego [Smile] to get a call asking for your involvement.
One of the downsides is that you have no official `leave' and organising financial affairs on unpredictable income is a challenge to be met.

The hard thing is that, on the surface at least, there are many more graduates from film school, or recording college or whatever than there are work positions, and this can be soul destroying when you are starting out. The better news is that if you are prepared to dig around a bit you can find all sorts of things to do. It's hard to be patient, with bills creeping in, and that job behind the counter at Borders looks pretty appealing to bring in some cash while you wait for prospects to improve.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Many thanks FD, that was really useful. I did actually study the A+ course some years ago when it first came in, out of interest, but as nobody in our IT department at work had heard of it (two even asked if it was some sort of A level!) I didn't bother with the exam as I thought it wouldn't be any use. [Roll Eyes]

Online courses are a good idea, it's just that I'm usually not fit for much after a full day at work, but I'll look into it anyway.

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Well, this coming week I'll be sending out another flurry of CV's. I was at a solicitor's this week getting some papers notorized, and I asked her thoughts about trying to use my experience to get a paralegal position here. She said that there are no special qualifications, and that mostly they look for people with good admin skills and any legal experience is a bonus. She encouraged me to do a mass mailing, including a letter to her firm. If any of them pan out it would be fab because most of the firms are in the middle of the shopping centre across from our flat!

Continued good wishes to others out there searching.

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
I'm joining this thread because I really must find another job.

I need something more restful and less traumatic to my precarious mental health. I'm a nurse but have other good skills that I've picked up along the way in jobs outside my field. I've kept coming back to nursing because the pay is better and I took my present job seven years ago, in administration - foolishly thinking it would be less stressful. It is killing me.

I've been rather passively looking for alternatives, but the prospect of lower pay is positively scary. Plus I have a nice flexible schedule with lots of vacation, which I hate to forsake...but it must be done - I've become a freaking nervous wreck.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

bessie rosebride: Is it just the particular stress of yr present job which is killing you, or do you (like lots of folk) have difficulty in coping with stress anyway? If the latter, you might want to address that first, because, sadly, most work nowadays is stressful. I can't help on how to cope with stress I'm sorry, but it's a growing challenge to our well-being and my heart goes out to its victims. [Votive]
But as for alternative occupations if stress isn't a general problem for you: Nurse tutoring, depending on your level of professional experience and qualifications? A complete career-shift to teaching any subject or age? An amalgamation of nursing and a new career, eg pharmaceutical sales? Or customer-support at a health IT supplier? Or shift to another para-clinical profession, eg physiotherapy, occupational therapy or radiology technician? There'll be an initial hit for the re-training cost, but afterwards, all of those roles pay better than nursing.
Or that most parasite-like of trades, recruitment, majoring in health roles?
Agency nursing, where you pick your hours?
Keep us posted.
FD

quote:
Originally posted by bessie rosebride:
I'm joining this thread because I really must find another job.
I need something more restful and less traumatic to my precarious mental health. I'm a nurse but have other good skills that I've picked up along the way in jobs outside my field. I've kept coming back to nursing because the pay is better and I took my present job seven years ago, in administration - foolishly thinking it would be less stressful. It is killing me.
I've been rather passively looking for alternatives, but the prospect of lower pay is positively scary. Plus I have a nice flexible schedule with lots of vacation, which I hate to forsake...but it must be done - I've become a freaking nervous wreck.

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Well, I spent several fruitless hours hunting for jobs online this morning, making me feel completely depressed about the whole thing. But I did go ahead and make an appointment to register with another temp agency tomorrow. The agency seems to list several local positions with higher pay than the temp agency I'm currently with.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
..Organising financial affairs on an unpredictable income is a challenge to be met....

Oh yes!
....tshirt, post card, been there and doing it.....

I need to find two (specific) days employment in my geographical area.
The alternative is a punishing schedual juggling a nightshift, 2 teenagers, their school bags, sleepovers with Dad and a drop off with friends.

Today a teenager left bus and lunch money in a bag at a friends.
(don't ask. it really does get that complicated)

ANYway. Enough.
Can't take anymore of this. None of us can.
I would appreciate those two days.
Then we can all breathe again.

It's do-able.
It just needs to happen.
Thanks

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
bessie rosebride: Is it just the particular stress of yr present job which is killing you, or do you (like lots of folk) have difficulty in coping with stress anyway? If the latter, you might want to address that first, because, sadly, most work nowadays is stressful. I can't help on how to cope with stress I'm sorry, but it's a growing challenge to our well-being and my heart goes out to its victims. [Votive]

Thanks for your post! [Smile] The answer is: yes, I am one eternally unnerved person - therefore I attempt to keep my life simplified in an effort to avoid stress - this job seemed fairly worry-free when I took it eight years ago - it has worsened and I have worsened.

It has occurred to me that I would be futile to attempt one of those "geographical cures" in which I just move my nerved-wracked self into a new position with orientation and whatever; that would further frazzle me - but on the other hand if I stay where I am, my mental health will just continue sliding further into the ditch.

It's a conundrum. (sigh...) I've already decided to get into some therapy for a bit, in an attempt to decompress and heal...ironically, psychiatry seems to be a field I should have looked into when I was younger - most of the clinics I've called are overbooked and the earliest appointment I can get with anyone, anywhere is 7 weeks away. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're hunting for work in the San Francisco Bay area; I won't quit this job till I have one there to go to. Please pray!

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone have any opinions on how long a resume should be? I was priding myself on my ability to tighten everything up and get it all on one page, and then when it all was on one page, I thought, "Does this make me look like a lightweight: a one-page resume?" Not sure if I should expand a little more and go onto a second page, or keep it tight. Any opinions?

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you):
Anyone have any opinions on how long a resume should be? I was priding myself on my ability to tighten everything up and get it all on one page, and then when it all was on one page, I thought, "Does this make me look like a lightweight: a one-page resume?" Not sure if I should expand a little more and go onto a second page, or keep it tight. Any opinions?

I just participated in interviewing three candidates for a job with our company, and all three had two-page resumes. I didn't see any problem with that. What's probably more important is to make sure the resume is scannable, so it can be easily faxed or scanned into a system where they can search for keywords (and make sure the right keywords are in your resume so you get picked up if they search).
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Expert' advice is that a resume (or C.V.) should be between 1 and 3 pages long. That's very helpful!

In practice a two page resume is the standard. It allows enough room to set out qualifications and experience without boring the reader. It also reduces the temptation to cram everything onto one page by reducing the font size, white spaces and content, to the point wheere the resume becomes unreadable.

However, I would also produce a one-page resume as these are sometimes specifically asked for by employers or recruitment agencies. There's no quicker way of losing out on a job than by sending in two pages when asked for only one.

For those coming out of school or university, a one page resume will probably suffice. Waffling is another cardinal sin that I commit all the time [Biased]

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I've just realized that the position(s) I'm applying for (it's a general application for all guidance counsellor jobs with the school district) requires a three-page application form, which actually duplicates a lot of the material that will be in my CV/resume. So I think I am going to go with the one-page resume and smokin' hot cover letter to attach with the application form, thus convincing them that despite having previously blown off a perfectly good permanent position with this board, I am worth re-hiring.

--------------------
Books and things.

ONUnicorn
Shipmate
# 7331

- Posted      Profile for ONUnicorn   Email ONUnicorn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any advice on how honest to be in an interview?

--------------------
"A pig's snout is NOT an electrical outlet."

Posts: 637 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It really depends but as a general rule I'd suggest 1) don't claim anything you can't substantiate, 2) never be rude about your last employer and the fact that you are totally disenchanted, 3) never mention money as a factor in wanting a job.

Also 4) don't lie to yourself, if things come up at the interview you're not happy about - the conditions of the job or maybe the way the interviewer came across - because if you get the job you will probably have to deal with these things on a day to day basis and they may ultimately bug you enough to form part of the reasons you will want to move on.

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's sitting down and sending emails, and letters and application forms.........
And there's getting out the there and doing the foot work and meeting the people.....
I favour the latter approach and wonder if anyone else take this view?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also realise you are interviewing them. Your role in the interview is not just to sell yourself but also to suss out whether you want to work for these people. Ask awkward questions if they are important to you, if something sets you on edge not it, be prepared to ask about the company style and even whether you could meet other employees informally.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

I am feeling completely and utterly frustrated. My temp agency won't put me up for decent permanent positions (the perm person admitted to me that she didn't know what all my skills are after telling me I wasn't qualified for a position I asked about), and the temp side is just sending me to crap data entry or 2 week jobs.

My stack of "thanks for your CV, but we've got no openings" letters from solicitors is growing.

I am almost completely at my wits end and ready to give up. I hate, I hate, I hate job hunting! I won't to go back home where I know how to get a job.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I've done in the past and am doing now is this: Rather than look in the want ads, I figure out what kind of job, at what kind of place, I'm looking for, and where. (Usually this has been local; this time it's cross-country.) Then I get the telephone directory and put about 5 or 6 places of that kind, in the right area, with their numbers on each piece of paper. (This gives enough room to write next to them.) Then I call them, one after the other, and, after introducing myself as politely and professionally as possible, ask:

• 1. Are you hiring?
  • 2. May I send you my resume? (Whether for a job now or one coming up in future)
  • 3. To whose attention should I send it?

and thank them very much. On the paper I put down that information, including the date, so I can say something like this in the cover letter:

Dear NAME:

As per our conversation of DATE, I am enclosing my resume for POSITION TITLE/any positions which may come available for which I may be qualified. Thank you for your help (etc.).

Sincerely,

ME with CONTACT INFORMATION

When I lived in Florida, I found the three jobs I had after grad school this way, though the government job I have here now I found via the gov't website. But this worked well; I don't even think two of them had put the jobs in the paper! And if something is not open yet, but is going to be coming up in a month, they may tell you about it. [Smile]

David

--------------------

# 3200

A few things just skimming through:

Resume length is culturally specific.
Rumour has it New York is down to 1 page.
Canada is 2.
India is 2-7, from what I've been told.

IT support jobs are not prevalent here in Canada.

Most jobs on the internet have 4000 other people applying. If you are not one of the first 20 people who's key words fit the scan, you are not going to get looked at.

[Votive]

--------------------

# 3200

Flausa, your "Sorry, but no." letters back from employers:

They don't do that in Canada anymore. It takes too much time and is no longer expected. [Frown]

[ 24. March 2005, 18:53: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------

Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can sympathise with the temp jobs. I am currently in a long term temp job whicb is not in the field I want to be in (EVER).

Agencies (registered with most of the main ones (all rubbish) send me for jobs which sound quite good, and then I dont get the job because I HAVENT GOT THE EXPERIENCE! (Sorry bit of a rant there!).

Why waste my time (which is paid for by the hour - no work no pay) and send me for interviews which both the company and agency know I havent got a chance of getting!? [brick wall]

Any other ideas where to try, I am fed up with the agency route!

Prayers for all those looking for work because they have to be earning or want to be in a different one! [Votive]

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

ChasteM...thanks, helpful.

[ 28. March 2005, 19:28: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Annichka
Shipmate
# 3897

- Posted      Profile for Annichka   Author's homepage   Email Annichka   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ChastMastr, you're a genius. After reading this thread on Tuesday I pulled out my phonebook and started calling. The third call was a "actually, we do have an opening. Bring in your resume." Brought in the resume yesterday. Today I got called for a "working interview" - I've had one of those before, and IMO they tend to mean they're taking you seriously. [Yipee] We shall see.
My dilemma at this point is that this job would definitely send my career in a certain direction, but I am in DIRE need of the money, so I'll take it if they offer, regardless. My BA is in English Lit. This is a job as a veterinary hospital assistant. Very diverse fields.

--------------------
The Lord is compassionate and merciful, longsuffering and of great goodness.

More Than You Should Want to Know About Annichka

Posts: 2073 | From: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

[Hot and Hormonal] Thank you! [Smile] Any prayers for my own job-hunt would be great -- the biggest problem I am having with it is I am dead tired when I get home (which may really be a scheduling thing -- i.e., more sleep at night. My own apparent corneal abrasion comes back when I don't sleep enough too).

And I relate; my own degree is in English Lit. [Big Grin]

[ 31. March 2005, 18:12: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

The Artisan
Shipmate
# 4277

- Posted      Profile for The Artisan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was made redundant last November and have been looking for work since January. Actually I applied, interviewed and was offered a job in February. I went in for some briefing sessions but then the next week got a letter saying they were withdrawing their job offer - no explanations given. It was quite upsetting especially as I'd withdrawn from a couple of interviews because I'd accepted their offer. So now I am back on the "putting in applications" stage. I have a temporary part-time job at the moment but it's not enough to live on - just a bit better than jobseekers' allowance.

Flausa - have you tried your local government (city, metropolitan borough or county council) website - if it is anything like ours they have loads of admin jobs going and you may find something to suit your skills.

In the UK I'd always advise applying for posts that have actually been advertised rather than spending a lot of time on "on spec" letters. Then make sure you write your details, experience etc to match the person specification for the post as closely as possible.

While I was officially unemployed and claiming jobseekers allowance I was able to access something called "Jobshop" via my local job centre. I was able to get loads of useful advice on how to format my C.V and how to complete the skills and experience bit of an application form.

--------------------
Sometimes our best intentions do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen: may it happen for you Sheenagh Pugh

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016