homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Bareback Mountain (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Bareback Mountain
mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

- Posted      Profile for mrmister   Email mrmister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just point out that dubbing the film "bareback mountain" is offensive and homophobic.

--------------------
Just because you believe something is true, that doesn't mean it is.

Check out this link about Carl Sagan's Dragon: http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well seeing who started this thread, and chose the title for it, I hardly think you have a leg to stand on! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

- Posted      Profile for mrmister   Email mrmister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I DO have a leg to stand on.

Homophobia is not just the preserve of supposedly straight people.

It's about internalised societal assumptions.

Calling a film which seeks to address serious issues "bareback mountain", especially in this day and age following the eighties nightmare of AIDS (yes, I remember it only too well), is homophobic.

It is immaterial whether or not the OP is considered to be beyond reproach

--------------------

Check out this link about Carl Sagan's Dragon: http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't mean to imply he was beyond reproach (sorry Sine! [Snigger] ), simply that it seems to me his reputation on the Ship consists almost entirely of:-
1) having exceedingly good manners
2) the fact that he is homosexual

Bearing these in mind, I hardly thought that you could accuse him of homophobia, in any usual sense of the word.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

Read what I wrote more carefully.

It is immaterial whether the OP is considered to be beyond reproach, whether because of reputation or sexuality.

Mocking the name of the film in a homophobic way is not on. I don't give a hoot whether Sine is gay or not; calling the film "Bareback mountain" is childish and offensive.

Barebacking is having unprotected anal sex.

--------------------

The Expatriate Theolinguist
Shipmate
# 6064

- Posted      Profile for The Expatriate Theolinguist   Email The Expatriate Theolinguist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How very kind of you to take offense on behalf of the many gay people on the Ship. Let's see how many gay Shipmates will agree with you...

***waits for days***

Nope, seems like they don't mind. Offense is in the ear of the listener. That's why comedians get away with so much.

Good to see you back on the Ship, mrmister! Have you seen the film?

--------------------
Je suis une petite pomme de terre.

Formerly mr_ricarno, many moons ago.

Posts: 731 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

Yes, it was very good.

Reinforced my view as a deconstructed gay that white picket fences and homosexuality don't mix, though.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrmister:
Barebacking is having unprotected anal sex.

And is such a practice the sole preserve of the homosexual?

I think not.

And in any case, the term 'bareback' refers to any sexual act carried out without a condom and by straight or gay protaganists alike.

BTW, I watched Bareback Mountain on Friday and, apart from the first 40 minutes (which I spent enjoying the scenery and wondering if Heath Ledger had had his lips sewn together at some Wyoming fat camp), I didn't really rate it much. There were too many obvious pointers at what was going to happen. Some parts of it reminded of those Second World War films where a young RAF man will say 'It's my last OP tonight, Skipper, and then I'm off to marry the best girl in the world!'. And we all know what's going to happen.

Cosmo

[ 05. February 2006, 14:57: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

Don't be so PC, I never claimed it was.

I personally find the use of the term "bareback mountain" offensive. Just as women might find sexist humour offensive.

Whether or not the OP is gay, and whether or not straight people bareback, are utterly irrelevant.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

quote:
I personally find the use of the term "bareback mountain" offensive.

And we should give a shit why?

Cosmo

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mrmister, my gay male friends at work refer to the movie as Bareback Mountain. It's a pun, a play on words. Live with it.

Glad you enjoyed the film, but what on earth is a 'deconstructed gay?'

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

If you do not give a shit about others, then why should others give a shit about you?

So why does it matter about a gay film?

Why does it matter about civil rights and the ability to be who you are without oppression from either other people or from internalised assumptions?

After all, you're the only one that matters in your universe, aren't you?

Am I causing you offense? So what

--------------------

mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

I do not accept that just because of same-sex attraction I have to accept a caricatured and obnoxious mindset commonplace in the mainstream.

I do not accept that just because the film concerns gay people, that it simultaneously is laughable.

It would not be laughable were it a moving love story between man and woman.

It would not be laughable were it a moving tragedy between man and woman.

So why, just because it concerns two men, should it be OK to laugh at it?

Oh, and just because some men at work choose to laugh along with it, that makes it OK doesn't it

Don't even.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

quote:
If you do not give a shit about others, then why should others give a shit about you?

I'm a Church of England parson so they don't.

Cosmo

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can I just point out that dubbing the film "bareback mountain" is offensive and homophobic.

Of course you can.

Just so long as you are prepared to be told exactly how fuckwitted it is to point this out on this thread.

HTH, H&E Esq.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evo1
Shipmate
# 10249

- Posted      Profile for Evo1   Email Evo1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It would not be laughable were it a moving love story between man and woman.

It would not be laughable were it a moving tragedy between man and woman.

You sound pretty easy to please. Good to see you back, why not cool the hot-headedness a bit though.

--------------------
Just think how horrid I would be if I didn't have a Personal Relationship with Jesus

Posts: 1058 | From: Hull, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mrmister
Shipmate
# 10850

You wouldn't have it any other way.

--------------------

Evo1
Shipmate
# 10249

- Posted      Profile for Evo1   Email Evo1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Biased]

--------------------
Just think how horrid I would be if I didn't have a Personal Relationship with Jesus

Posts: 1058 | From: Hull, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's okay mrmister - you're not the only one offended by the thread title. But there it is.

I'm just trying to keep a sense of humor about it, which is hard to do as, like so many, I have a certain reverence for this beautiful work of art.

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sincere apologies to anyone I offended by being amused at the thread title. I, too, consider Brokeback Mountain to be a very beautiful work of art and would be most happy if we could get back to discussing the film itself.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fionn
Shipmate
# 8534

- Posted      Profile for fionn   Email fionn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand the hoopla surrounding The Kiss. In one of the episodes of 'Stargate: Atlantis', David Hewlett plants a much shorter but more passionate kiss on the lips of Paul McGillion. The kiss in 'Brokeback Mountain' looked more like a fumbling wrestling match.

My primary response to the movie was a sudden desire to go dancing and to plan a trip to Wyoming during the week of summer.

There was no tittering or snickering in the theater at any time.

Posts: 179 | From: horsecountry | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I live there was no hoopla surrounding a kiss, but there was some surrounding the fuck.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fionn
Shipmate
# 8534

- Posted      Profile for fionn   Email fionn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning my pastor mentioned it as a movie to be spurned. I sent him an e-mail suggesting that the movie with some slight editting would be useful in the home missionary effort.

Ennis and Jack both had a huge gaping hole in their lives and a 'dash of Jesus' would have done them wonders. To see someone (even cinematically) with such a longing for love touched me deeply. Especially knowing that Jesus could possibly fill that gaping longing and allowed them to eventually come to grips with their situation. Ennis might have found the strength to admit his love and agree to live with Jack. Jack might have been able to keep his pants zipped except around Ennis.

Posts: 179 | From: horsecountry | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ennis and Jack both had a huge gaping hole in their lives and a 'dash of Jesus' would have done them wonders.
To someone who has suffered a lot at the hands of the Church, fionn, that sounds more than a little hollow. There have been times when a 'dash of Jesus' have cost some of us friends, lovers, and very nearly our lives.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think fionn was talking about a "dash" of Jesus so much as finding some hope in Jesus Christ. Something that is denied many gay people when they are driven away from the church. There are many ways in which the film could be instructive to churchfolk.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

- Posted      Profile for CDLauffer   Email CDLauffer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering...why would anyone wish to see a movie that praises adultery?

CDL

--------------------
Listen to "Light from the East" at www.byzantinecatholic.com radio

Posts: 10 | From: Joliet, Ill | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could ask the folks at hollywoodjesusif you like.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

- Posted      Profile for CDLauffer   Email CDLauffer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't see any comment on adultery. Could you direct me to one that does?

CDL

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

Praises adultery!!!???
The whole thing is a tragedy and not a simple catechism lesson in black and white.

Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CDLauffer:

CDL

Have you seen it? It does absolutely nothing of the sort. It shows the devastation and pain that denial causes, no matter how justified the reasons for that denial might have been...

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sorry for double post but I'm still thinking about this. Even if it DID "praise" adultery (whatever that means) why would that mean I shouldn't see it? Should I only see films where nothing ever happens that I disagree with or find negative? Should I therefore never watch a film where a person is killed, where people cause one another suffering, where someone overeats or tells a lie?

What a bland, bland world that would be.

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RainbowKate
Shipmate
# 9331

- Posted      Profile for RainbowKate   Email RainbowKate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It certainly doesn't praise adultery; if anything it does the very opposite. It shows the pain and devestation wrought upon families when people try to pretend to be something they are not.
Posts: 1227 | From: Left at the loophole | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
I don't think fionn was talking about a "dash" of Jesus so much as finding some hope in Jesus Christ. Something that is denied many gay people when they are driven away from the church. There are many ways in which the film could be instructive to churchfolk.

Indeed there are. Sorry, fionn, if I misinterpreted - I'm having an oversensitive day.

I'll also join in the chorus of those who are saying this film doesn't "priase" adultery. Since seeing it, I've been thinking a lot about what a classical-style tragedy it really is. So, citing my favourite classical tragedy again, I'd say this film praises adultery about as much as King Oedipus praises incest!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

quote:
Originally posted by RainbowKate:
It certainly doesn't praise adultery; if anything it does the very opposite. It shows the pain and devestation wrought upon families when people try to pretend to be something they are not.

Were the men married and did they have children? If the answer is yes and they followed their passions which resulted in the splitting of loyalties they committed adultery. I really don't care what people think about the blandness of my choices. My goal is holiness. If that isn't your choice that's your business. It's pretty clear to anyone that the point of the movie is to show that vows are secondary to passions. That is certainly not my choice for a way to live. If it's yours be proud of it. Don't pretend it's something other than it is.

I will not ever watch the movie. I don't believe adultery is a good thing.

CDL

--------------------

CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

quote:

What these men were is called married. They had taken a vow that that is their vocation. That is what they were. Every other relationship is secondary. It really doesn't matter how else you might justify their behavior. It is still adultery.

CDL

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

Clearly you haven't seen the film, so why even comment on it? I'm very offended by violence in filmmaking especially these days. But some films have themes beyond the violence. How about greed? I can't imagine only seeing films with orthodox Anglo-Catholic themes . It would make my life considerably poorer, I think.
badman
Shipmate
# 9634

- Posted      Profile for badman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is still adultery.

CDL

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Nobody has denied that for a married man to have a sexual relationship outside marriage, whether with a man or woman, is adultery. You are being challenged to say how the film *praises* adultery. Since you haven't seen the film, I suppose you can't say.
Posts: 429 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CDL.

Just cos a film shows something happening, eg adultery, it doesn't mean it's praising it.

And this may sound presumptious, but how can you tell what you think of the film, or analyse the spin it puts on their actions without seeing it?

I think in a way its similar to Munich, both were moving and powerful films that make you feel sad about the state of humanity and the way we treat each other.

[ 06. February 2006, 17:24: Message edited by: Manda ]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What these men were is called married. They had taken a vow that that is their vocation. That is what they were. Every other relationship is secondary. It really doesn't matter how else you might justify their behavior. It is still adultery.

No one's saying they weren't committing adultery. But just because adultery is depicted doesn't mean it's praised. As Rainbow Kate said, this film shows the pain and devastation that results when people are not allowed to be themselves. Had the two main characters been allowed to be themselves, they wouldn't have gotten married, at least not to women.

ETA: cross-post, obviously!

[ 06. February 2006, 17:26: Message edited by: RuthW ]

CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

quote:
Originally posted by badman:
quote:
It is still adultery.

CDL

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Nobody has denied that for a married man to have a sexual relationship outside marriage, whether with a man or woman, is adultery. You are being challenged to say how the film *praises* adultery. Since you haven't seen the film, I suppose you can't say.
The attempt to be "who you really are" as a defense of adultery is a defense of adultery. No one has to see the movie to read the synopsis and the defense of the theme that has been posted here. Who these men really were were married.

CDL

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the point CDL is that if they had been allowed to be who they were they wouldn't have got married in the first place. If they'd been allowed by the society to be together, this would have avoided much of the heartache and suffering that ensues on all sides.

--------------------

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

quote:
Originally posted by Manda:
Part of the point CDL is that if they had been allowed to be who they were they wouldn't have got married in the first place. If they'd been allowed by the society to be together, this would have avoided much of the heartache and suffering that ensues on all sides.

My point is that society has never barred anyone from being together with anyone else. The only limitation has been they can't, or shouldn't, call it marriage. It's a lie. But then I suppose in the Alice in Wonderland world in which Western Society finds itself insulting Christians is a way of life. So people call whatever they want to whatever they wish. There is no avoidance of heartache when the best definition of ourselves is following ones lusts. But if that's the best a person can do no one is really stopping them.

CDL

--------------------

phoenix_811
Shipmate
# 4662

- Posted      Profile for phoenix_811   Author's homepage   Email phoenix_811   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Were the men married and did they have children? If the answer is yes and they followed their passions which resulted in the splitting of loyalties they committed adultery. I really don't care what people think about the blandness of my choices. My goal is holiness.

First, according to this definition, they did not committ adultery. They followed their passions, but the following did not result in the splitting of loyalties. As is very clear in the written story, especially, the splitting of loyalties was prior to the following of passions.

I too have a goal of holiness. I think I would define that quite differently than you seem to be, however. Holiness is not an ethical category. Righteousness is an ethical category.

quote:
The attempt to be "who you really are" as a defense of adultery is a defense of adultery. No one has to see the movie to read the synopsis and the defense of the theme that has been posted here. Who these men really were were married.

CDL

No one is using the the attempt to be "who you really are" as a defense of adultery. No one is excusing them for committing adultery. Certainly, who Jack and Ennis really are caused them to sin (not homosexuality an sich but in committing adultery). Just as certainly, the adultery, at least as expounded biblically (committing adultery in the heart is the same as committing adultery physically), happened before any physical act took place between the two men.

What needs to be kept in mind is that the identity of the two men conflicted with their state of social being. This does not excuse what they did. But it should prompt forgiveness.

--------------------
"Preach the gospel to the whole world, and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

Posts: 487 | From: the state of confusion | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
My point is that society has never barred anyone from being together with anyone else.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

So all those anti-sodomy laws never had any effect?

CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
My point is that society has never barred anyone from being together with anyone else.

Are you suggesting that there are never consequences for our actions or that there can be a society that can eliminate them? That is laughable. If a person wishes to do whatever they wish they are free to do it. Nothing can stop them.

CDL

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Are you suggesting that there are never consequences for our actions or that there can be a society that can eliminate them? That is laughable. If a person wishes to do whatever they wish they are free to do it. Nothing can stop them.

CDL

How on earth did you get a suggestion of there being no consequences for our actions out of what I said. Of course there are consequences.

But the notion that gay people have always been free to do whatever they wanted is laughable. And stupid.

badman
Shipmate
# 9634

- Posted      Profile for badman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CDLaufer, you're new here - and welcome.

Since you haven't seen this film, maybe your thoughts on homosexuality, sex outside marriage, gay marriage and blurred boundaries, etc, should be on other threads. You'll find quite a few of them on "Dead Horses".

Brokeback Mountain is a film about love, not lust. And you need to be careful before you assume that people's ability to love, as opposed to lust, depends on their sexual orientation.

Posts: 429 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

Well it would be a spoiler to point out the particular consequences that ensues from them being gay, but they are certainly serious CDL, and can hardly be described as society allowing them to be themselves.

--------------------

CDLauffer
Apprentice
# 10983

quote:
Originally posted by Manda:
Well it would be a spoiler to point out the particular consequences that ensues from them being gay, but they are certainly serious CDL, and can hardly be described as society allowing them to be themselves.

Manda,

I think we agree, though I'm not sure.

Ruth,

I thought there were consequences for ad hominems such as you have thrown at me the last few posts.

Re: Consequences. If one chooses to not abide by natural law and the Church teaching one will have the consequences of such behavior. Until recently there were also societal consequences. So what? There are always consequences to actions. Again, it is not possible not to have consequences for actions. The film portrays two men who decide to abandon their families to whom they had made committments. Little else matters.

CDL

--------------------

RainbowKate
Shipmate
# 9331

- Posted      Profile for RainbowKate   Email RainbowKate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Were the men married and did they have children? If the answer is yes and they followed their passions which resulted in the splitting of loyalties they committed adultery. I really don't care what people think about the blandness of my choices. My goal is holiness. If that isn't your choice that's your business. It's pretty clear to anyone that the point of the movie is to show that vows are secondary to passions. That is certainly not my choice for a way to live. If it's yours be proud of it. Don't pretend it's something other than it is.

I will not ever watch the movie. I don't believe adultery is a good thing.

CDL

I never said adultery was a good thing; I certainly don't believe that it is. It always leads to heartbreak and brokeness. Were Ennis and Jack wrong in cheating on their wives? Yes, of course they were.

The point the film makes is that if society were different they would have remained a couple at the end of that first summer before either had become married. Jack wants them to lead a life together; Ennis has seen first hand what happens to men who "set up ranch together". It is, if anything, a film on what happens when we don't live our lives honestly. It in no way glorifies adultery. It shows the pain and anguish their wives endure, and the pain the men feel in their own dishonesty. That's why its such a beautiful film; it's about the frailty of humanity and where our mistakes get us.

If society were different there is no question that the two would not have married women, but remained together.

If you've actually lived with the consequences of being gay you're all too aware that this movie takes place in the same state where Matthew Shepherd, a young gay college student, was brutaly murdered only a few years ago. When you feel (as Ennis did) that your choice is being honest or being dead it's not so easy a choice.

Of course, you'd actually have to have seen the film to know any of this. Which you clearly have no interest in doing. So why are you here? I respect your right not to see, respect that the rest of us see the world in more than two colors.

Posts: 1227 | From: Left at the loophole | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016