homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Bizarre Practices The Second: Protestants (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Bizarre Practices The Second: Protestants
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I might be a young elf - - but I did mean about 1900. Still can't get used to the 21st C.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mostly, "X, , on your profession of faith, I baptise you in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit." Splash!!!!

I've also heard, "X, ....I baptise you in the Name of Jesus."

It's the latter that I heard at my friend's baptism at an independent evangelical Church. Which gives me a problem, in that I'm not convinced baptism in the name of Jesus alone is valid - read Matthew 28:19. As she doesn't reckon that my baptism (as an infant) is valid, that leaves us in an interesting position. I try not to think about it too much. But why do some Churches baptise in the name of Jesus only?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just popped "baptiz" and "name" into The Bible Gateway.

Every verse, bar the one that Carys mentioned, said about being baptised in the name of Jesus.

Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ."

Acts 8:16
because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

Acts 10:48
So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ

Acts 19:5
On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we're on the subject of baptismal attire/practices, I thought some folks might find a few baptismal pictures from St. Joseph RC Church in Greenwich Village interesting. As you can see, somber colorsseem to be favored during the baptism itself. After the baptism, the newly initiated change into white robes for confirmation.

Incidentally, some Catholic parishes have started baptizing adults by immersion, and even more are pouring water so the entire person gets wet, as in the pictures here.

FCB

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
Incidentally, some Catholic parishes have started baptizing adults by immersion, and even more are pouring water so the entire person gets wet, as in the pictures here.

How splendid.

White is a more appropriate colour to wear after the baptism, and in the early church, when most baptisms were carried out on Easter Sunday, the candidates would then wear their white robes until Low Sunday.

I believe also that at a time when very many Baptisms were also carried out at Pentecost, the number of people being baptised and then wearing white became so great that it became known as White Sunday (Whitsun).

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duns Scotus
Apprentice
# 2509

- Posted      Profile for Duns Scotus   Email Duns Scotus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
Quite right too. Generally you only say 'in the name of' but it gives extra time if dunking each time. While we're on this subject, what words are used in non-liturgical churches?

Carys

When I was an assistant minister in a Protestant German church they told me before my first baptism that I had to use the trinitarian formula unaltered.
Apparently one of my predecessors (young and foolish like we all were) had baptised "In the name of God who is to us father and mother, in the name of JX who is our Lord and Brother etc...."
Theologically perfectly ok (after all the entire imagery is biblical) if a bit unusual. So one should think. But a huge row followed when an elder complained to the Church HQ. The problem was that ecumenical recognition of baptism with Orthodox and RCC is in danger if we don't stick every word with the biblical words in Matth 28.
And the fear of having anabaptism going on is very strong...

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 6 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question of the words used in baptism is something I have looked at because of my own situation. I was baptised in a Baptist Church but now attend a CofE Church.

In order for me to be a member of the CofE it is necessary for me to have been baptised. The test for whether a baptism is "valid" in the eyes of the CofE is that it must have involved water and be in the name of the Trinity (see the rubric towards the end of the service of "Private Baptism of Infants" in the BCP, for example).

Because my baptism fell into this category it is regarded as valid by the CofE, but a baptism in the name of Jesus would not be so recognised (at lest, it should not, according to Ecclesiastical law). My Baptism would be recognised as valid by almost all Christian denominations and groups, except for the Orthodox and some protestant churches with strict requirements for baptism within their own churches.

But this is in danger of getting a little non-bizarre.

Did those of you baptised as adults have to "give a testimony" as part of the service, telling the church how and why you came to make the decision to get baptised? I did, and looking back on it I don't know how I managed it.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Bill Krouwel
Apprentice
# 1152

- Posted      Profile for Bill Krouwel   Author's homepage   Email Bill Krouwel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have the (rather charming) ritual of all holding hands and saying the grace together at the end of the service....this ancient tradition (dating from as far back as the 1990's) occasionally requires people to climb over pews.....this is a Baptist church, by the way

The little cups of grape juice are served to people where they are - probably to signify that those who've attained the dizzy heights of deacon-hood aren't any better than the other celebrants.....

AND doesn't everybody know that when Jesus turned the water into wine and drank some, it turned right back into water before hitting his stomach..... [EMAIL]null[/EMAIL]

Posts: 1 | From: Shepton Mallet, Somerset | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duns Scotus:

And the fear of having anabaptism going on is very strong...

I'm a good anabaptist.

Chapelhead said, "Because my baptism fell into this category it is regarded as valid by the CofE, but a baptism in the name of Jesus would not be so recognised (at lest, it should not, according to Ecclesiastical law). My Baptism would be recognised as valid by almost all Christian denominations and groups, except for the Orthodox and some protestant churches with strict requirements for baptism within their own churches."

We had a discussion about this, when some Anglican friends visited a baptism and some of the candidates were baptised "in the name of Jesus" and others "trinitarianly". They came to the conclusion that as it all took place in the context of a trinitarian service, the baptism was validly trinitarian, and the words were not to be taken legalistically.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
some of the candidates were baptised "in the name of Jesus" and others "trinitarianly".

Why? That just strikes me as bizarre.

Carys

--------------------

Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really should know the answer to this question, but what are Presbyterians?!

Bongo

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:

Bongo

Denominations that thinks that bishops stink´s of popery, and that priests and bishops are the same! So instead they usually elect a president over their church!

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
but what are Presbyterians?!

To an extent it depends where you are. In Wales it is the old Calvinistic Methodists. In England most of them united with the Congregationalists to form the URC - though not all did - and in Scotland the CoS and the Free CoS and the wee frees are all Presby (as I understand it).

Carys

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
what are Presbyterians?!

In the US, these are Presbyterians.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
what are Presbyterians?!

Seventeenth-century regicides.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Now, now HT - this isn't hell.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I'm a good anabaptist.

Are you sure? (about the anabaptist bit - I'm sure you're good).

Even in my Baptist days I would never have described myself as an anabaptist, which I regard almost as a term of abuse. I am/was a baptist, not an anabaptist.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Welsh Presbyterians and Scottish ones will baptise in the name of the Trinity. If it is a baby being done, the sometimes the baby is 'dribbled' 3 times. I baptise you in the name of the Father [dribble], I baptise you in the name of the Son [dribble], and of the Holy Spirit [dribble].

But for an adult, with full emersion, they they are done once,at the end of the 'formula'.

bb

It think

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bongo

I think Bongo's question was perhaps more along the lines of description, or dictionary definition, rather than "which groups are Presbyterians ?"

basically the governing of church and congreagtional matters is done by elders (who are members of the church / congregation)or presbyters, and not by Popes, bishops etc....

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

In the Methodist and Anglican church, presbyter is the term used for odained priest/minister.

But in the Presbyterian Church, presbyters are the congregation. All of the congregation are priests. The minister, and the elders are people that the people have deemed worthy to serve them.

bb

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is wrong with Anabaptists?
Outside continental Europe they are mainly known as Mennonites who apart from being pacifists are fairly mainstream. Also the English General Baptists (i.e. the non-calvinists) had their roots in the Anabaptist movement. It seems to be fashionable in the CoE and calvinist inclined churches to dis the Anabaptists and get them mixed up with the Munsterites who the Anabaptists under Simon Menno (hence Mennonite) also opposed.
I suppose the Amish also grew out of the Anabaptists and they might be considered a bit wierd.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
In the Methodist and Anglican church, presbyter is the term used for odained priest/minister.

But in the Presbyterian Church, presbyters are the congregation. All of the congregation are priests. The minister, and the elders are people that the people have deemed worthy to serve them.

Ditto Baptists.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite. So what exactly is the difference between Baptists and Presbyterians?

I mean in terms of leadership/government, theology, and idiosynchracies (sp?!), if any.

NB: I speak as a MOR Church of England gal.

Bongo

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what exactly is the difference between Baptists and Presbyterians?

I mean in terms of leadership/government, theology, and idiosynchracies (sp?!), if any.

In Canada, being formerly a member of a Baptist church and now a member of a Presbyterian church, the biggest difference that I see is that Baptists only baptize adults whereas Presbyterians baptize infants. Of course, there maybe other differences.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is true that baptists only baptise adults... as for presbys over here, I couldn't say.

Most of the other differences are structural and administrative, I imagine.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Quite. So what exactly is the difference between Baptists and Presbyterians?

NB: I speak as a MOR Church of England gal.

Bongo

Basically Church Government and Baptism.

Taking Church Government First
Presbyterians have a central form of Government which is usually a synod which rather like the synod of the CoE makes the decisions for the Presbyterian Church. The amount of power it has varies from Presbyterian denomination to denomination (a word I hate but I want to distinguish between say the Church of Scotland and The Wee Frees both of which are Presbyterians but are rather diffferent) So in some Presbyterian churches the synod has absolute power in other it is like the CoE's. Unlike the CoE's synod it is totally lay even the ministers there are lay (though since they believe in the priesthood of all believers you caould say that they are totally a house of priests!)
Baptists and Congregationalist churches have the local church as the ultimate authority
and all decisions are made by the church meeting of members of that local church - including the appointment and pay of any minister(s). However they do link together with other Baptist (or Congregationlist) churches in Associations or Conventions
voluntarily but it is the local church that appoints members to the association and decides whether it should be a member or not. In Great Britain most baptist churches belong to a local assocation and in turn the asociation co-operate in the Baptist Union of Great Britain, but in theory the Baptist Union has no power over its member churches. As membership is volentary there are other associations such as Grace Baptist which has nothing to do with the Baptist Union and is stricter demanding Calvinist beliefs.

In England most Presbyterians and Congrgationalists joined together to form the United Reform Church which has a hybrid form of church government.

OK now Baptism
Presbyterians go for infant baptism like the CoE, in fact their baptismal beliefs tend to be the same as the CoE. Congregationalists hold similar views.

Baptists get their name from their distinct teaching on baptism which is called believers baptism. That is infants are not baptised but only those who make a public confession of their faith are baptised. Inn the case of children of Baptists the children are allowed to decide if or when they are baptised (the most common tiome to choose is mid-teens). Before anyone can be baptised at least the minister must be convinced of them being a christian. However a conversion experience is not necessarily required as Baptists are not necessarily evangelicals although the majority probably are.

One further difference is that Presbyterians have historically tended to be Calvinist (though that is not so true today) while Baptists have been divided between Particular Baptists (calvinists) and General (or FreeWill) Baptists (non-calvinists) and only formed a union at the end of the 19th century when non-calvinism became the majority view amoung the particilars.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Hooker's Trick

# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Host mortar board in hand]

I don't know how bizarre Protestant or Baptist church governance is (I'll leave it for you to decide), but I do know that it is not a bizarre practice.

So please open a separate thread to discuss the ecclesiology of calvinists, congregationalists, presbys, regicides, baptists, adult-dunkers, Amish or any other such.

Here, though, can we please discuss the bizarre practice of public confessions of conversion?

HT [MW Host]

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a good anabaptist.

That's a contradiction in terms.

Cosmo

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:

Cosmo

Why, what have the Mennonites (or Amish) ever done to upset you?

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Here, though, can we please discuss the bizarre practice of public confessions of conversion?
[MW Host]

Yes please. I had to do it (and apparently so did daisymay, so let's have a few more confessions of profession.

[Aside]My great apologies if my previous comment seemed detreimental to those happy to describe themselves as anabaptist. I was thinking only in terms of the usual UK use of that term and in particular my own understanding of it. [/Aside]

[ubb]

[ 20 March 2002: Message edited by: babybear ]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

babybear
# 34

quote:

Cosmo, read the 3rd Commandment recently? Cos you have just broken it.

quote:
Name-calling and personal insults are not allowed, regardless of the context. The same goes for comment which stereotypes or attacks people on the basis of their race, nationality, age, gender, religious belief or sexual preference..... When discussing a specific people group, please mentally substitute the name of a shipmate for the group in question before you post your message.

If you want to start a thread discussing the merits and demerits of the Anabaptists, then please do feel free.

bb
----
MW Host

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

quote:
I don't know how bizarre Protestant or Baptist church governance is (I'll leave it for you to decide), but I do know that it is not a bizarre practice.

You obviously have never been to a Baptist Church Meeting - very bizarre

--------------------

Wood
# 7

quote:

What, you mean 'testimony'?

It's common in our church services but by no means all-pervading. It's usual for a personal statement of one's faith and/or conversion to be given before one is baptised, usually in the same service.

--------------------
Narcissism.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of the definition of "Testimony" found in "The Church-English Dictionary (Rowe, Parke, et al) as being "a story that has all the exciting bits at the beginning and then gets very dull".

I remember this happening in an Anglican church of my acquaintance. A, um, minister with a guitar ministry and his ex-model wife were leading the service. She gave her testimony - which involved 20 minutes or so of described what she used to do - modelling, hanging around in Hollywood, lying next to swimming pools, etc, etc - and then, noticing that she'd gone way over time, was concluded in less than a minute with something along the lines of "And then I became a Christian and now I do this."

Hmmm.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

LOL Dyfrig...

A couple of weeks agao, we had a 'testimony' from a woman who then went on to speak for half-an-hour on a variety of rambling subjects, some of them possibly quite offensive.

Our Pastor was not pleased. Neither was I, for that matter.

But when it's done properly - and honestly, testimony can be very useful, both as an alternative (ie. non-sermon) way of communicating beliefs, as something which can be both encouraging and challenging, and which can also help us to get to know people in the church other than the leadership.

It's not about 'therapy' - it doesn't work like that, and it's often more edgy that 'cuddly'.

And it doesn't have to be about conversion, either.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not having a go at daisymay herself for describing herself as a 'good anabaptist' but questioning, like Chapelhead, whether she really understands what that means.

Anabaptists or Mennonites are not fairly mainstream as Astro claims (in the way that Quakers or the Salvation Army are not fairly mainstream). Not only do they uphold the doctrine of the baptism of believers only (ie no infant baptism) they also deny that any baptism an infant received was not a true baptism and that they need to be re-baptised. That is a complete denial of the baptismal regeneration and a denial of the saving grace of God. After all, it means that we tell God if his grace is working or not. 'No God. You were firing blanks with little Leo twenty years ago. Now he's grown up, he can now tell you to forgive him. Thanks a lot.'

Not even the strictest of strict Pius X Society Catholics would claim that a Trinitarian baptism, done at Westminster Abbey or a tin hut in Indiana, needs to be done again.

That's what I mean.

Cosmo

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Seventeenth-century regicides.

Those are Independents/congregationalists, HT, Scottish Presbyterians opposed the regicide, accepted Charles II as King and went to war with Cromwell. In consequence thousands of Scots Presbyterians were killed fighting for Charles II.

I don't think the English Presbyterians supported the regicide either.

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
I'm not having a go at daisymay herself for describing herself as a 'good anabaptist' but questioning, like Chapelhead, whether she really understands what that means.

I would like to point out that I have already apologised for any offence my comment might have made (although none was intended). I would also point out that I am/have been someone to whom the term anabaptist could be applied (incorrectly in my view, presumably correctly in Cosmo’s view) and that, far from regarding anabaptists as ‘not good’ I have no problem with the views normally termed ‘anabaptist’.

Back to the thread…

Whenever someone is asked to give a testimony and talk about ‘their Christian life’ my thought is always to want to hear about their ‘non-Christian life’, which sounds much more interesting.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

babybear
# 34

quote:
That's what I mean.

But that is not what you said. By saying saying that "good anabaptist is a contradiction in terms" you took a little pot shot at anabaptists, and Daisymay considers herself to be an anabaptist. So by extention you were also having a go at her. That is why I included the quote from the 3rd C. It explain what is and is not acceptable.

I didn't think that you meant to have a go at Daisymay. So I didn't ask for an apology.

If people would like to continue to debate about anabaptists then please start a new thread.

bb
----
MW Host

Hooker's Trick

# 89

First of all thanks to Louise for setting me straight on Presbyterians. I was formerly of the opinion that all Puritans were Presbyterians. Much as I was under the impression that Fundamentalists and Evangelicals were synonymous, until Wood set me straight on that.

Now, these testimonials. I rather imagine them taking place like this:

Wood: "Hello, my name is Wood, and I am a Christian."

Baptists: "Hello Wood!"

Wood: "Before I was a Christian I whored around and drank myself silly."

Baptists: "Amen".

Wood: "After I found Jesus, I don't do that stuff anymore."

Baptists: "Amen brother!"

Wood: "Now that I found Jesus, I am saved."

Baptists: "Amen Amen."

Wood: "And now instead of boozing and shagging, I evangelise people."

Baptists: "Amen!"

Followed by some splashing in a large pool.

Now, I am sure it must not really be like that, so won't you please assist us?

By the way, Astro, I *have* been to a Baptist Meeting, in Virginia. It was not bizarre, but it was very boring. We all sat down in very uncomfortable pews. We sang a hymn and several (maybe 7?) men in suits filed in and sat on a dais in the front in big chairs like bishops' thrones. In turns, each one of them got up and read a lesson or lead a prayer. This was interspersed with time for quiet prayer. Then there was a very long sermon given by an elderly man in a suit. There followed a collection of money, more praying and lessons, and another hymn. The whole thing lasted nearly two hours. No one actually shouted amen or raised his hands in that air -- it was all very staid.

I had forgot about it until now. There was a pulpit and one or two lecterns and no Holy Table. And no altar hangings or coloured cloths at all. I assume the baptism pool was secreted under the dais, but I am not sure.

HT

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

HT, I would dearly like to take you to a Baptist service in the UK - not that I attend a Baptist church any more - just as I would dearly love to attend your church, which sounds most interesting. How I wish they weren't on the opposite sides of the pond.

What gets said when someone "gives a testimony" at a baptismal service? Well, looking back at my own baptism, I got up an explained how I was not brought up in a "religious" household and that church-going was not something that we did as a family. As a teenager a friend of mine became a Christian and in a fairly typical teenage way we talked about life, death, the universe and everything, including Christianity. He invited me to attend his (Baptist) church, which I did for a few months before deciding to attend the church I was being baptised in (which another friend attended). After learning more at both of these churches about God, Christ, Christianity and so forth I became convinced intellectually of the truth of Christianity and then determined to commit my life to the Christian faith. Consequent to this I decided to get baptised, as a public demonstration of my decision to "die to Christ" and commit to the Christian faith.

Now, that probably sounds horribly twee, but in the context of the service it seems very different (just as everyone taking one sip from big cup and then it being passed to the next person sounds pretty twee if taken out of context).

One of the great surprises of this thread is finding out how my particular corner of the Church is perceived by other parts of it (I sometimes think that "high-church" types think we "low-church" types live on another planet). We may be pretty strange, but our hearts are generally in the right place (as are yours, of course).

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

quote:
By the way, Astro, I *have* been to a Baptist Meeting, in Virginia.

That sounds like an apology for a worship meeting - what I was referring to is a "Church Meeting" i.e. a meeting of church members to discuss church business. I think that the nearest equivalent the Episcoplian church has is the vestry but that has a limited membership so less oppurtunity for agruements. Actually you tat lovers might enjoy Baptist Church (businness) meeting as most of the time is spent discussing what color flowers should be used, church decorations and other vital matters. While unimportant things like the church budget, pastoral matters and doctrinal discussions get dealt with very quickly, as most of the time has been spent on whether the vestry door should be painted with gloss or matt paint.

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Almost the only time a Church Meeting is of any interest is the first one after being admitted to membership, when you can read the minutes of the previous meeting to find out what was said about you during the discussion of admission to membership.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Wood
# 7

quote:

Now, these testimonials. I rather imagine them taking place like this:
Wood: "Hello, my name is Wood, and I am a Christian."
Baptists: "Hello Wood!"
Wood: "Before I was a Christian I whored around and drank myself silly."
Baptists: "Amen".
Wood: "After I found Jesus, I don't do that stuff anymore."
Baptists: "Amen brother!"
Wood: "Now that I found Jesus, I am saved."
Baptists: "Amen Amen."
Wood: "And now instead of boozing and shagging, I evangelise people."
Baptists: "Amen!"
Followed by some splashing in a large pool.

Now that I have recovered from my paroxysms of helpless laughter...

HT - first, you clearly haven't been to a business meeting. It's a different proposition entirely, although Astro is (hopefully) taking the mickey a little about the content...

Now. First: a 'testimonial' is a footie match rlayed in honour of a retiring footballer. A 'testimony' is exactly what it says - a bearing of witness.

Leave out the 'amen's', first. Only our American cousins do that, AFAIK. And the statements are rarely so simple. Think instead as a very short sermon, delivered using personal experience rather than whatever it is your preacher man uses to make his points with.

--------------------
Narcissism.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some Baptist churches that attempt to have the best of both worlds by "dedicating" babies, something arch-conservative Baptists criticise as being dry baptism.

Greta

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

"Dedicating" babies was quite ususal in the Baptist circles I frequented. And I would say it is not so much dry baptism as the Churching of Women without the overtones of ritual uncleanness.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

babybear
# 34

It also is about giving thanks for the safe delivery of mother and child, and thanks for the new life.

bb

HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It occurs to me that what one considers bizarre is based on one's history and comfort level. What is familiar is comfortable and makes sense (at least emotionally) because it is familiar.

For example: Those who do not believe in infant baptism consider it extremely bizarre that one would take a tiny baby, one who barely has sentience (I can probably find the exact age at which developmental psychologist Jerome Kagan postulates that sentience occurs in the human), and have a sacramental ceremony **done to** him/her, outside of the child's understanding and consent.

On the other hand, those who do not consider the apostolic succession to be important consider it bizarre that other people would consider that a mystical force is **handed down** by the laying on of hands. And that without such a proof of unbroken succession, the person saying the formula for doing the eucharist is not the proper person to do so and the eucharistic meal is therefore "invalid." Can the apostolic succession people really prove an unbroken line all the way back to St. Peter? Because I would consider a paper trail surviving that long to be very much miraculous!

So let's cut one another a little slack, shall we?

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nancy Winningham:
[QB]

Can the apostolic succession people really prove an unbroken line all the way back to St. Peter? Because I would consider a paper trail surviving that long to be very much miraculous!

It´s not nescessary to trace the line back to S:t Peter! There was after all thirteen apostles, including Paulus. If you read Eusebius and the other early writers, you will find that the notion of apostolic succesion is there from the beginning.

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

quote:

We had a discussion about this, when some Anglican friends visited a baptism and some of the candidates were baptised "in the name of Jesus" and others "trinitarianly". They came to the conclusion that as it all took place in the context of a trinitarian service, the baptism was validly trinitarian, and the words were not to be taken legalistically.

Carys,
I think it was just the idiosyncricity of the different people doing the dunking, and because there were many candidates, the baptisers changed every so often - they didn't have parents baptising their own children, for example.

The other thing was that the candidates gave their testimony while still dry, but while in the water they were prayed for and prophesied over, so it took a while for each baptism. And I think that the church as a whole woudn't have distinguished or bothered about the actual words, as they were not into the legality of the thing. The importance was the actual public witness to having accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour. That's what made the baptism valid, not a form of words, although since everyone was well taught , they would have automatically used the right words as they would come from deep within them.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Double post, and quoting from my post on 'baptism' thread.

My own children were dedicated, and the service is very similar to C of S "baptism', without the water, almost same words.

The bit that always moves me is when we hand the babies over to the minister or whoever is leading the dedication service, as a symbol of our recognition that the baby belongs to God, not us, and then are given back the baby in trust, so that we bring them up lovingly and carefully - a great responsibility and privilege.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016