homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Bizarre Practices The Second: Protestants (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Bizarre Practices The Second: Protestants
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Often, we don't have candles cos they're a fire hazard

In our church, we only really have them in the Midnight Meeting on Christmas Eve. Because it's dark.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
What is the rule on candles and crosses? I have been in Methodist churches that feature 2 lights on the Holy Table and a brass cross.

However, sometimes Protestant posters act as though candles smack of popery.

What is the story?

Once upon a time, the Methodist Church was part of the Church of England. Because the CofE had high churches and low churches, so did the Methodists. (Still has, but far more low churches).

Candles seem to come out at very special occasions in the low church, eg Advent, Christmas or Easter. Most of the time they are not seen except at alt.worship services.

As for crosses, it is quite common for a low church to have a cross on 'display'. Normally it will be a very plain one, with very little ornamentation. I have never seen 'Jesus on the cross' in a P church. (our hope is in the Risen Saviour).

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a carved wooden Jesus on a cross above the pulpit - I find I look at it a lot during the sermon (for all the best reasons of course). Our church is CofE, probably central; although some would say high, I don't think A-Cs would call it high.

re candles: fire hazard, fire schmazzard! One of the most moving services I have been to (last week) was at the local hospice carol service, held in a packed church, remembering those who had died, each person 'lighting up a life'. There must have been about 1,000 candles in the building and the atmosphere was terrific - calm, quiet and thoughtful. Give me candlelit services anyday (although I suppose they would cease to be special if done on that scale all the time).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
re candles: fire hazard, fire schmazzard!

The 'fire hazard' crack was a flippant reference to the Baptist church's tendency to be somewhat utilitarian in its use of stuff in worship...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Midnight Meeting

What's the deal with "meeting".

I've noticed this before as a protestant substitute for any of the following:

going to church

going to chapel

going to service (or Divine Service)

going to Morning Prayer (or Mattins)

going to Mass

I can understand why protestants eschew "mass". But why is it more Prot to go to meeting rather than to service?

Meetings are things I go to under protest in a conference room, and sit there being bored and scribble rude drawings in the margins of a note-book I keep for that purpose.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ht, i've only ever heard meeting used in reference to quakers, and possibly jehovahs witnesses. the term i've always heard used is "service".

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not come across English speakers using meeting for what I'd call a service, but it's very common amongst Welsh speaking evangelicals. Though as there are two verbs for meet, it avoids (for me at least) the connotations of business meeting as I'd probably use cyfarfod for that and my friends tend to use cwrdd for what happens in the Chapel, but that might be me being odd, I don't know whether cwrdd and cyfarfod show a North/south split.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

'Meeting': It seems to be a Welsh (particularly around South Wales) thing, and a Baptist thing, and it's not just Welsh speakers who have a monopoly on it.

I just picked it up. 'm not sure why they call it that.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried to reply to Wood earlier this evening but the boards crashed just as I was about to hit 'add reply':

re candles, yep I realised your remark was flippant, but it was interesting that when we were leaving the hospice service I mentioned above, holier than thou turned to me and said 'I dread to think what would have happened if there had been a fire'

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rob from Windang
Apprentice
# 1928

- Posted      Profile for Rob from Windang   Email Rob from Windang   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In reply to Wood: my Dad and Mum would/will often say they are off to the meeting (Meeting?) and we're from New South Wales. Dad's ex Brethren, Aussie of Scottish descent, Mum's ex-Anglican, Aussie of Anglo-Oz descent. They've been Baptists since before I was born (1955!) and as far as I'm aware calling the service/chuch "the meeting" was fairly common practice. Maybe it's a NSW Newcastle/Hunter Valley Baptist thing.

I've only recently joined the crew of the SOF and have just skimmed through some of the stuff here about Protestant church practices. Our Church @ Warilla (just south of Wollongong 1 hour south of Sydney) would make some of the correspondents on this subject faint I think. We don't do liturgy, we don't pass the peace, almost anyone can have a go at doing Communion (although their are 'standards') - even women! and my 18 year old son had a go at our Sunday Night Live! service using coke and Pringles. (Word of warning - never use Pringles the crunch when everyone bites into them totally destroys any reverential atmosphere you may have built up!). Our services start when the band (complete with drums) stops playing and the service leader jumps up and says 'G'day' or 'Good morning'. Announcements are at the start (as is prayer). No doxology and often the benediction is 'Thanks for coming, please stick around and join us for coffee or tea up the back!' Our ministers also never wear a dog collar and hardly ever wear a tie. Music is contemporary (whatever that means).

However it somehow works and most people seem to enjoy coming and worshipping God there.

Posts: 6 | From: Windang, NSW Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the use of "meeting"

In my experience of English Baptist churches, the term "Church Meeting" would refer to the meetings of those enrolled as church members (not necessarily all of the congregation) that were held to discuss Church business.

They would typically be held mid-week, in the evening, often every other month (frequency varying from Church to Church). The purpose of the meeting would be to discuss issues such as admission of new members to the Church, arrangements for forthcoming events ("What are we going to do for Harvest Supper?" and the like) Church finance, changes in staffing of the Sunday School/Junior Church etc. They are not primarily "services", but would obviously start with prayer and might include a Bible reading and brief exposition by the minister (particulalry relating the passage to the Church's current situation).

The meetings thus had a similar purpose to Annual Parochial meetings in the CofE.

I have not come across "meeting" used for a Church Service, although I have heard it used for a mid-week meeting (for Bible study, often held in someone's home). But this a more informal use of the word.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
HT asked:
But why is it more Prot to go to meeting rather than to service?

It isn't, it is just a different way of describing it, reflecting a slightly different theology.

"meeting"/"going to the meeting" - short for going to the meeting of the church. Basically, we are the church whether we are 'gathered' or not. - a church service is the meeting of the church.

I used to share a flat with 3 Brethern women, the rarely went to church, normally it was 'the meeting'.

I also remember it from 'The Waltons'.

There is also quite a range of ways that Ps describe the Mass. It ranges from the Eucharist, the Lord's Supper, Breaking Bread, Communion, the Lord's Table. Each shows a slightly different understanding of the same act.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
babybear,

I have even seen the term "Sacrament Meeting", which seems to combine a Catholic understanding with a very Protestant one.

Greta

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I have even seen the term "Sacrament Meeting", which seems to combine a Catholic understanding with a very Protestant one.

Greta

This terminology is used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (AKA the Mormons). Dose anyone know of any more "mainstream" group using it?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may not be the appropriate thread or board for such a question, but (hoping that babybear is not reaching for her biretta) do Protestants consider the Momons to be Protestant? If not, what litmus test do they fail?

Greta

Weslian
Shipmate
# 1900

- Posted      Profile for Weslian   Email Weslian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Britain, the Mormons are not recognised by any Christian church as being a mainstream Christian denomination. Their devotion to the book of Mormon is deemed to be heretical and to put them outside orthodox Christian faith. Along with Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Scientists they are not eligible for membership of ecumenical organisations like Churches Together in Britain and Ireland. I am not sure if this is the same in the States.

--------------------
Sex, Shopping, Work, Christian Doctrine, Entertainment, Art, Sport.

Posts: 563 | From: somewhere too posh for my own good | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
This may not be the appropriate thread or board for such a question, but (hoping that babybear is not reaching for her biretta) do Protestants consider the Momons to be Protestant? If not, what litmus test do they fail?

Greta

This is being discussed even as we type in "What is a church?" in Purgatory (or should that be "What is a Church in purgatory?")?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It should be noted that Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, and the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) all consider themselves to be Protestant Christians, but most Protestant Christians consider them to be heretics. One of my son's best friends is Mormon, and the leader of the local children's chess club just recently was baptized into the Mormon faith.

I live, interestingly enough, on the same road that has all three of these churches between me and a town that is very Bible Belt--hellfire and brimstone and Bible-thumping churches for the most part; no Catholic or Lutheran or Presbyterian or Episcopal church in the town--and "God Bless America" on the sign outside the high school, which is technically illegal on a public building (as I understand Supreme Court rulings). There is also rumored to be a snake-handling church nearby here, but I don't know exactly where--if the rumor is true, I will definitely mystery worship there!

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Greta

What do you mean by protestants?

Do you mean protestant christians?
If so then the question is no, as they hold beliefs that are not compatable with christianity. e.g. Jesus was created, there is a huge addition to the Bible called the book of mormon etc.

If you mean protestant relgionists, then I suppose they are along with Reform Jews, Methodists, Zen Bhuddists, and Baptists.

There are a few gray areas, Seventh Day Adventists - have been mentioned, some protestant christians accept them as christians some don't. From my very limited contact with them I would say that SDA's would accept the creeds, but add to them the OT food laws, worship on the 7th day, and the belief that Jesus has already returned to earth and is up in theair sorting the good from the bad. Also they hold the same beliefs about baptism and communion as most Baptists so.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about "hanging of the greens". I have seen Presby, Meth, and Baprist churches in the US advertise this event.

Is it particularly protestant to bedeck the church in greens for Advent/Christmas?

I've even heard of a couple (I believe that they were baptist) planning their wedding to coincide with Christmas because the church would already be "decorated".

HT

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been a bad week for Alasdair Morrison, the Member of the Scottish
Parliament for the Western Isles. First, he lost his job as Deputy
Enterprise Minister. Then it became public that his church, the Free
Presbyterians, had told him that as a he had opened the Gaelic National Mod
(his ministerial responsibilities included Gaelic culture) in Stornoway
last month, the church would not baptise his children. The Free
Presbyterians (a small sect with 13 ministers and an attendance of about
1000 at their services in Scotland) consider song and dance, which is a
feature of the Mod, to be sinful. Mr Morrison was brought up within the
church in North Uist, where his father was a Free Presbyterian Minister. It
is thought likely that he will move to the larger Free Church of Scotland
which, although strict, is not as narrow as the Free Presbyterians. How about this one then?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have the Free Presbies not in past years had a schism because Lord Mackay of Clashfern went to an RC requiem mass for a dead friend, so they excommunicated him?

They also banned line-dancing as sinful.

They seem to have a thing about driving out their handful of high profile members.

The Free Church (the bigger denomination) have had a split too over Professor Donald Macleod who some see as too liberal because he allows things like Christmas carols (there were also nastier allegations made against him).

Macleod's actually a very good preacher (i've heard him and I was the only woman in that church without a hat - not natural territory for a liberal like me! ;-)

I don't know if antipathy to secular music counts as a bizarre practice, but the lack of charity in refusing baptism to Morrison's children takes some beating.

On the whole, they're pretty scary.

I think Father Hummerstone from Great Torrington should be sent on a mission to the Isles to sort them out.

cheers,
Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
I think Father Hummerstone from Great Torrington should be sent on a mission to the Isles to sort them out.

You mean the Great Torrington site isn't a pisstake?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meetings, well yes as a Prot (although our lead elder always claimed that he wasn't a Prot as he had nothing to protest about, and was on good terms with the local catholic priest) we always went to mettings rather than services.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Hope
Shipmate
# 81

- Posted      Profile for Hope   Email Hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As another proddie (if I were to take a label at all which given that I live in Scotland I'd rather not, thanks) I have always gone to services. I'm racking my brains unsuccessfully for a "meeting" I've been to.

This is probably of interest to nobody but I'd like to mention my local Free Kirk (of Scotland) minister because he has helped me banish my misconceptions or at least generalisations about the denomination. He is not only completely sane but intelligent and broad-minded, and has been able to come to certain sensible beliefs which are not exactly encouraged in the Free Kirk but are matters of conscience rather than doctrine.

Just for the record.

Hope

--------------------
"Why does the water glow like that?"
-"The dream magic of the sea."
-"Phosphorescent algae."

Posts: 174 | From: Caithness (northern Scotland) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Frees are quite different from the Free Presbyterians, if that hasn't been spelled out, and shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.

(Although they do have a few extreme people too - as the case against Donald Macleod seemed to show up)

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, and don't forget the "free church continuing"

so we have

Free Church
Free Church Continuing
Associated Presbyterian (APC)
Free Presbyterian

is there still UPC (United presbyterian) ?

Anyone hazard a guess as to the differences between them all ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh goodness people, if you really want your minds to boggle, you can get hold of the handbook of denominations in the united states (which despite the title, covers all various religions, christian and not). 27 different baptist denominations, 7 different brethren denominations, 10 different church of god denominations, 4 different episcopal/anglican, 3 friends, 5 different mormons, 11 lutheran, 13 mennonite, 11 methodist, and we're only up to the m's. not to mention all the ones that i haven't bothered to mention cause theres only one denomination of 'em.

it makes for some fascinating reading.

americans, you should be able to find it in a library cataloged as 291.0973 h.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Papa Smurf

Which of these is the "Wee Frees"?

Thanks

Chapelhead

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's just your average Free Church.

but I'm not an expert.

Over Christmas I'll try and get someone to write it all down for me.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget the Wee Wee Frees, who split off from the Wee Frees when they thought the latter was becoming dangerously lax

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Here's a version of the 'drainpipe' diagram which maps all the splits and re-unions of Scottish Presbyterian churches.

It might help.

Louise

--------------------

babybear
# 34

Louise, if any other person had posted that link I would have thought that it was a piss-take.

Do you have any information about the Burghers and Anti-Burghers, and how they both managed to produce Old and New Lichts?

bb

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

- Posted      Profile for AbundantJoy   Author's homepage   Email AbundantJoy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings, All! I am very glad to get on this page after a few computer glitches. I really like this MW page. There is so much i want to respond to (since I have been wandering around in here reading the posts for a couple of days)I will probably post all the replies and thoughts under "a lil bit of everything" due to all the threads read. I will write it in good time and for those who need it, a list of order of questions, comments, replies, and personal wonderances can be downloaded from Adobe acrobat with the red-backed start screen.

As for the Altar calls, it is very interesting. In the protestant faith, altar calls are common and invite the listener to receive Christ as their Savior so that the blood of christ can atone for their sin and they can be brought in to right relationship with God and his son jesus christ by the holy spirit since the bible says that "no one comes to the Father unless the Holy Spirit draws him". There are also altar calls and whole services for the healing of the sick via the laying on of hands, anointing with oil, regular praying, Included in healing (and delierance) services, can be prayer tunnels in which the person is prayed for by altar workers (people who pray for you when you go up to the altar), intercessors (people dedicated to
intercede for God's people and others) and the pastors (main pastor, youth pastor, other pastors that may attend there) and regular christians who love God.
here is a text illustration.
the pluses are christians and the * are people walking and getting prayed for and anointed with oil.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If a person is plagued or starts manifesting evil spirits he or she is taken to the side to be prayed for or is surrounded by christians to be prayed for where they are at. (there are also special classes and services for that too, but back to the altar issue.)

People come to altar (the platform on which the pastors speaks) and kneel down or stand half crying and half praying. However, according to Ken who is catholic, the altar is sacred and holy and to be treated with the utmost reverance. In effect, If i remembering right, it would make light of the altar and because of the differant traditions of A/C and EBs, the concept of "a altar call" would be alien to them. (a/cs, that is. (I wanted to find site that explained this better but I can't. maybe I email ken later.)
I will leave you with something my pastor's often says. "we are but one expression of the body of Christ (in terms of worship, prayer, preaching and all the "tat" .) (I am so happy that ruthw put the defination to that word on the board because I was going up the wall trying to figure out what it was and shoddy clothing didn't fit.
You should have a thread called the weird stuff of ACs/Highs or may be one called If you do not come from a lit background, here is what I mean when I say.....(fill in the blank) (I.e. what is triuble...more on this in the "Lil" thread to be written later)

thank you for the enjoyable board!
God's blessings and peace and happy posting.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

- Posted      Profile for AbundantJoy   Author's homepage   Email AbundantJoy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Oh yeah, I noticed that you mentioned "the right hand of fellowship" which to me is the greeting of fellow christians and showing them that you are glad they are there. You may not of heard of its' cousin, "the left foot of fellowship". This happens to people who get kicked out of churches because of disputes of doctrine, theology, or personality. Happens to bapticostals alot. (as well as people from other denomations as well) What is a bapticostal you might ask?
A baptist that raises their hands, sings hymns, and believes in miracles and speaking in tongues as a Pent would (and can.)

All in all, a good mixtures of many of the wonderful atttibutes and practices from other denomanations helps you be a better christian any way.

Lastly, a lil more humor. After all, your board is spiked with all sorts of humor from light-hearted to sarcatic to witty to barbed to british :P. Why do Episcopalians make excellent painters? Because they always remember to put a good amount of coats on.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

Question : when you refer to tables in church and the pastor at one end and the people at other parts of the table, is this a literal table in the middle of the church or is this a figure of speech for the taking of communion? explain, please.

As for confession, the bible says: "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.(james 5:16).
So, confessing your sins to others has a biblical basis so to help one in their relationship to God and be held accountable for their actions as well. (side note: I want to comment that a church can have both accountability and strong leadership in response to a earilier post.) If they feel quickened to confess their sin, it is good that they have a pastor, christian friend or lay leader to confide in. I would agree with a earlier post that stated that humans can't absolve other people's sins. In fact, this is what infuriated the Priests of Jesus's day. When the paralysed man was brought to jesus, jesus said to him, "your sins are forgiven" because that is the most important part-forgiveness of sin and right relationship with God. The pharisees said in their hearts, Who is man, this man! that says I forgive your sins. This act (and jesus did it a couple of times) was saying I am God because only God forgives sins. This was major major no-no (blas.) for the Jews. Then Jesus read their hearts (discernement) and said which is harder ? to say your sins be forgiven or rise up and be healed? To show you that the son of man has the power of forgive sins (and in essence is God) I say to the man take up your bed and walk and the man is healed instantly (because salvation in God is forgiveness of sins followed by healing, delievering, and blessing and everything good that comes down from the Father of Lights. In fact, this directly correlates to Moses encounter with God's glory and God flew (or moved) passed him saying "The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."
Exodus 34:7-bible gateway)

Many times Christ would act in such ways to call to rememberance the acts of God in the OT and how he was God and the fulifullment of promise but not everyone caught on.

that's all.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

sigh, you people and your five dollar words.
I liked aetiology, though. That is very cool.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

To HT, I would agree with steven. (Mint choc chip) and two, to me, i would have no problem with the pastor just walking on stage and saying good morning let praise the lord for he is good isn't he?
AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

Where ARE all the protestants?
In their absence I shall have to observe that I certainly am glad that Catholic Christianity isn't farting about wasting their time doing something so silly as read the Bible in church.

I would hope and believe that this just you
ragging on E/Ps. I know Catholics read their bible despite stories otherwise.....As for reading the bible in church, it is marvelous to hear the word proclaimed and jesus exalted. It boggles me how many of the sermons in the MW area are 15min or less! If you ask why we speak so longer, I would ask the reverse: Why are yours so short! There are commerical breaks that are longer than some of the sermons listed. (Granted, if God touches it, 8 to 12 minutes is plenty of time, this is too short a time normally!!!!!!! In all seriousness, upcoming this week (starting on jan 7 until sat) we will be reading the Word and prclaiming it over tampa and other areas From 7am to 6pm and praying 24/7 for our city (tampa, florida) (all on this board are invited to pray and seek God for your own districts, tampa, the nation etc) thank you

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

I kid you not some of the questions and statements on this board shock me....not that they are rude or anything (well, as least on these threads Hell is a different story...) Questions like what a altar call and churches with no choirs and choirs that never wear robes. Most church I know (in the states) wear robes (and have different types or attachments for christmas etc) for at least morning service and all important services. I think the robes are optional for sunday evening and weds services. Also the preacher may not be wearing special priest gowns or stoles but he is dressed nattily in a nice suit and tie as it is proper for morning service or he is decked out in his three-piece looking very pastorly. (At least in my mind, the suit, three piece or not is like the priestly robes in that it gives him a air of sharpness and authority and it says this here is God's man) This distinction is made all the more clear with my college pastor and regular pastor. I see my regular pastor, pastor williams (pent) always in deluxe suit and in my mind he looks sharp. it is weird on those occacions when I see him at a bbq or something and he is dressed in jeans and a polo shirt (which is the "offical in-between wear for pastors). This is contrasted to my college pastor (methodist) who normally wears jeans and a polo or even "horrorS" shorts. He is just as much pastor in those clothes, but boy if he has to do a funeral or a marriage or go to another church for a service, he pulls out all the stops and wears this black suit that screams wow you look sharp and as one having (pastorly) authority. Sometimes pastors are dressed less than the suit and tie due to the audience (they want to appear approachable and human) and the simplest explaination for why they wear less is probably because they are under the lights for a long time walking and gestering and they are just too hot so they wear less to keep cool.
AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

Question: Why would HT (and why that nickname?) run screaming out of a pent communion? Some of those who are in the high tradition may feel uncomfortable due to non-lit service. but they are still welcome always. The elim pents sound like regular pents and the post about rules of things you can't do sounds alot like holiness pents.

two, in the post about the horrifed anglican who had lay leaders have communion on the beach...I would ask what was the intent..If they were just having a beach communion with fellow believers and they prayed over and blessed the bread and wine, and then acted in a godly way, I wouldn't see a problem with it. Now, if they were mocking communion or doing it with less than godly motives...then I could see the problem.

On a side note, i might as well just write everything here rather than a separate thread but then again. I believe objects can be blessed just as the aprons and napkins were sent out from Apostle Paul to heal the sick and open the eyes of the blind and deliver those who were posessed.

In regards to communion, (what is ribera and blackberry current?) I believe that they are three main beliefs about the power of communion. One is the catholic belief of transmutgation, which the bread and the wine actually become the body and blood of christ. The second believes that the bread and wine are merely symbols of christ's sacifice and are taken in rememberance of christ's communion and sacifice. Then, there is the third group which is in the middle. They believe that the bread and wine are not just symbols, but after being blessed, they are infused with the anointing of God so that they may bring in real time the healing that was represented in the stripes jesus took. (The person Should confess their sin before taking communion) If you confess your sins and then drink wine, (we drink welch Gj and another type of Gj) you have this burning senation in that all your sins are melted away. However, the third group does not believe it turns in to the actual body and blood. (i am in the third group)

In college our communion (methodist-CW) is intinction, we have a special chalice and plate for the elements and the elements are covered. For (CW) we use this bread called King maui bread and welch grape juice. (chapel usf uses wine and traditonal wafers and you can choose between intinction style or drinking from a shared cup of the Lord. )
At Cw, pastor keith recites the last supper narrative and then holds up the bread and prays and thanks god for it and blesses it and then breaks it. he prays and thanks god for the wine and blesses it too. Then he says, come as you are able." As you receive communion, (both places cUsf and CW) say,
abundantjoy, his body broken for you and blood shed for you so that you might be set free. then you would go sit down and pray personal prayers and then the helper would give keith communion and keith would give the helper communion.then we might pray again and then respectable eat the left over bread and wine since the communion is always fresh and new. At Chapel USf, (epl'ian, lutheren, church of christ, and pres'b) they have a special sink that has a drain that goes straight to the ground because it would be wrong to throw blessed wine down into the sewer. (I saw on a special one time Tim Allen, who was raised epl'ian and was altar boy and all and wondered if they had blessed plumbers to put those sinks in.) At my regular church, (pent) we have little plastic sealed containers that have the wine and the communion bread in them. Pastor Deb was really surprised when I told her this one time. We were talking after church about communion and I had mentioned that when you take the tops of the cups they make a pbts sound and she was like "they are sealed? Yes. She was in shock. She commented it could be communion on the go that came with a lil tape of preaching decorated in box. Joking aside, she had issues with plastic cups and throwing away blessed items. She would still take communion with us if she ever came to my church, though. If she is has to visit people she wears the black dress with collar (why dog collar ? isn't that a lil demeaning ? (same with "low") but other times it is the polo with slacks. Any way, the ushers pass out the trays with communion and people take them. I think the age limit is understanding of communion. I always make a little cross impression on the bread and as my g'ma always prayed "god help me to take communion worthly. then when ever one got one, the pastor (who shouldn't be the only one celebrating) reads the last supper narrative and speaks a little bit and then we all lift the bread together and bless it and pray over and then eat it together and then we lift up the wine and bless it and God for it and then we all drink it and then we pray both personal prayers and corporate prayers and then the usher come and get the lil cups. I think it is in the older church that still have little glasses.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

i have heard of prayer or revival meetings. some church services refered to as meetings but usually they are called services..
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by AbundantJoy:
Where ARE all the protestants?

In bed asleep while you were posting.

Welcome to MW, AbundantJoy.

You have asked quite a number of questions, and have raised various points. Don't be surprised if it takes us a little while to answer all the points. But some suggestions as to where to start in MW.

Anglo-catholicism for beginners is a good place to start reading, and also for asking questions.

Creating the MW Dictionary is where we are making a new dictionary for MW. We already have a couple of excellent dictionaries in the webguides, but in MW sometimes words have very specific meanings. And also the dictionaries don't have many non-Anglican or non-Catholic terms.

In the Styx, you asked about 'kirk'. It is a Scots word for 'church'. I believe it is from 'kirkos' (Greek, meaning circle). The congregation used to meet in circular buildings. When it is written as 'Kirk' then it usually refers to the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian).

bb
----
MW Host

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
in the post about the horrified anglican who had lay leaders have communion on the beach...I would ask what was the intent..If they were just having a beach communion with fellow believers and they prayed over and blessed the bread and wine, and then acted in a godly way, I wouldn't see a problem with it.

I haven't gone back over the thread to find the post referred to (it's a long thread). But my answer would be that in the Anglican church only an ordained priest is allowed to celebrate the eucharist and bless the bread and wine (or bless anything else if it comes to that). A lay reader is not permitted to do that.

If what they were using was reserved elements (i.e. consecrated on a previous occasion by a priest) then that could be permitted, but I would still question under what authority they had carried the elements to a beach (I think they would need the priest's permission).

I have Anglican friends who consider themselves to be quite high but wouldn't get worked up at this. To my mind that just shows how little most Anglicans know about their Church.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Louise, thanks for that diagram. I had to know all that stuff about Auld Lichts and New Lichts at uni .....and I've forgotten exactly their differences But, one important thing is that most of the churches have reunited and come together in the end, and ended up as CofS, even tho some people insisted on staying separate. ............................................One thing I miss is the congregation being able to choose the minister. Here in the CofE, I wait to hear the news of who will be our new vicar and we haven't even heard him/her preach, tho the PCC did get a chance to meet the short-listed candidates. So my sympathies are definitely with the Disruption of 1843 when more than half the church left in disgust at the removal of their (as they believed) God-given right to choose their minister.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

# 89

quote:
Originally posted by AbundantJoy:
Question: Why would HT (and why that nickname?) run screaming out of a pent communion?

Hello Abundant Joy and welcome to our little churchy corner of cyberspace.

It was actually Dyfrig who suggested that I might run screaming from Elim communion. I imagine he thinks that the practices of the Elim community would be so far at variance with the rubrics of the Book of Common Prayer that I screaming and running might be the natural reaction of a Prayer Book devotee like me.

As to your other question, I assume people call me HT because they cannot be bothered to type out "Hooker's Trick".

Oh yes -- Ribena is a soft drink, and blackcurrant is one of the flavours it comes in. Think "grape flavoured drink" as an American equivalent.

HT

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Louise, thanks for that diagram. I had to know all that stuff about Auld Lichts and New Lichts at uni .....and I've forgotten exactly their differences

One of the primary reasons my own denomination came into existance was this very problem.

On the American frontier in the late 1700's and early 1800's, there were many Scot-Irish immigrants who were not able to recieve communion because ministers were few and far between, and often of the "wrong" kind of Presbyterian church. The divisions made some sort of sense in Scotland, but were utterly irrelevant on the American west (i.e. western Pennsylvania and Ohio).

Alexander Campbell was raised in the Old Light, Anti-Burgher Seceeder Presbyterian Church, and was aghast that he was not allowed to commune with New Light Anti-Burgher Seceeder Presbyterians. This led to his departure from the Prebyterians and the beginings of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the US and Canada.

As for our "bizarre" practices:

1) Baptism by immersion, although we accept transfer from other traditions.

2) Weekly celebration of communion/Lord's Supper. We have a joke that you might be a Disciple if you visit another of our congregations and learn yet another way to "do" communion. Every congregation has a slightly different way of doing it.

3) In larger congregations, the minister usually wears a geneva gown and stole (I do this). In smaller and more rural congregations, he will wear a suit and tie.

4) Choirs most often wear robes, at least in larger congregations.

5) Ministers are called by the congregation rather than appointed. The call process includes consultation with the Regional Minister (analogous to a bishop in the ministry of oversight).

6) Communion is generally with the individual cups of Welch's grape juice. Our history includes strong prohibitionist tendencies. We are trying to live that down now. The bread is usually small unlevened wafers (about 1/8 by 1/2 inches). There is a trend among us to move to the single loaf of (pita) bread and intinction in a common cup. We will often do this on special occasions.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
I haven't gone back over the thread to find the post referred to (it's a long thread). But my answer would be that in the Anglican church only an ordained priest is allowed to celebrate the eucharist and bless the bread and wine (or bless anything else if it comes to that). A lay reader is not permitted to do that.

If what they were using was reserved elements (i.e. consecrated on a previous occasion by a priest) then that could be permitted, but I would still question under what authority they had carried the elements to a beach (I think they would need the priest's permission).

Thanks for the info, I appriacate it.
It is seem a bit strict, though.

cheers to BB for the un-kirking of sparkling grape juice to welcome me. Yes, I am normally in bed too.

I have Anglican friends who consider themselves to be quite high but wouldn't get worked up at this. To my mind that just shows how little most Anglicans know about their Church.

My friend Greg (who i will post some discussion in the L year T) and many others agree that many people don't know what their church believes. One time, a guy who went to a Methodist church told Greg that they don't do that tithing stuff at his church to which Greg reply, yes they do (but a lil stronger) so it is not just the anglicicans. (ps. is a AC the same a regular catholic or is one more strict than the other or etc. PS. Take time answering questions thank you for all
"tat" you have done.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

One thing I almost forgot to write.
HT, the question wasn't why your nickname was abbv. to HT, it was why the name Hooker's trick which means (in america) sexual favors from a prostitute. Hopefully, you think better of yourself than that. peace out.

AbundantJoy
Apprentice
# 2082

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
[QB]Hello Abundant Joy and welcome to our little churchy corner of cyberspace.

It was actually Dyfrig who suggested that I might run screaming from Elim communion. I imagine he thinks that the practices of the Elim community would be so far at variance with the rubrics of the Book of Common Prayer that I screaming and running might be the natural reaction of a Prayer Book devotee like me.

I was rereading this and I thought to type that I love to pray (and intercede) but usually in exposo form regularily or if God specially lays something on my heart.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016