homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Movie thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Movie thread
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phil Spector.

Not so much about his trials(he had two, but the film only shows a tiny sliver of the first, and none of the second), but about his relationship with his high-powered defense lawyer. Al Pacino and Helen Mirren play the leads.

Basically, about as much insight and entertainment as you can milk from an inconsequential celebrity trial involving a figure whose profile is long past it's best-before date. The script actually seems to acknowedge the questionable relevance of Phil Spector, in one memorable scene involving Mirren and one of her flunkies, right near the beginning.

Pretty solid performances from Mirren and especially Pacino, though it could be said that they're both just giving the umpteenth renditions of their trademark personas(yes, Al has a yelling monologue). But this might just be one of the times when phoning it in really can work.

Since Phil Spector was never much of a public figure to begin with, it's hard to know what to make of Pacino's interpretation, save to say that he comes off as highly eccentric but rather likable. I kind of wanted him to be innocent, to be perfectly honest(though given his past history, I kind of doubt that he was).

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And hey, if THIS doesn't whet your appetite...

[ 15. January 2017, 15:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Oh, and the other night, I watched We're The Millers, about a drug dealer who recruits three unrelated social-misfits to impersonate his wife and kids for a smuggling operation.

Somewhat disappointing, in that it started off looking like it might be sort of a slacker/stoner film, but ended up being more of a raucnhy bromance, minus the "bro" part. Nothing against bromances, but I'd rather watch a slacker flick, and that's where it seemed to be going in the first fifteen minutes or so, before all the cheap sex and ethnic jokes kicked in.

A few well-exectuted scenes and characterizations, nevertheless. If you liked the Hangover series, and you're in the mood, this might be worth a look.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG, Stetson, have you seen "Maggie's Plan"?

Synopsis: Greta Gerwig gets involved with a married man (Ethan Hawke),then three years later falls out of love with him and tries to hand him back to his ex wife (Julianne Moore, rocking a painfully phony German accent. But hey, it's a comedy [Big Grin] )

I thought of this because of your just professed love of slacker films and this one is like Jim Jarmusch meets Woody Allen. And I love Greta Gerwig. She is such an adorable schlemiel.

Anyhow, it really has that old school golden era of indie film feel, complete with ska soundtrack.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Thanks for the recom. I'll keep a lookout.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally got a chance to see Rogue One yesterday. Excellent movie, I enjoyed it immensely. The CGI was amazing.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Moana is typical of PIXAR/Disney in all the good ways. Beautifully animated, well acted and solid story.

Yes, yes, and yes. Moana is terrific. Strong female hero and (ISTM) very careful and respectful attention to details of the culture they were depicting.

This weekend I saw "Hidden Figures" and I can't recommend it strongly enough. It is the story of the African-American women mathematicians who were instrumental in the success of the American space program in the early 1960s. These women were patriots and heroines and the recognition is long overdue. All the performances are superb. The depiction of life in the Jim Crow South -- and the hurdles these women had to overcome -- are depicted well, and heart-wrenchingly. (Can you tell I liked the film?) Also, take a young person to see it. It's appropriate even for elementary-aged kids.
(I didn't get the math, either.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the Palm Springs Film Festival and got an early look at "The Red Turtle", a beautifully conceived art animation. Gorgeous! It was practically a silent film. The plot is very much like a version of a traditional "selkie" tale, of a sea creature, in this case a turtle, that unites with a human. I highly recommend seeing it if it comes your way.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
This weekend I saw "Hidden Figures" and I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Daughter-Unit and I saw it Saturday and feel the same as Mamacita. Hidden Figures was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It's shocking to be aware of how recently people were treated so unequally. Being forced to use the bathroom that's a half mile away because there were no "colored" bathrooms anywhere except that one building is enough to get my blood boiling!

See this movie. It is beyond good!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

Daughter-Unit and I saw it Saturday and feel the same as Mamacita. Hidden Figures was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It's shocking to be aware of how recently people were treated so unequally. Being forced to use the bathroom that's a half mile away because there were no "colored" bathrooms anywhere except that one building is enough to get my blood boiling!

Recommendation thirded by me and my 16-year-old daughter. I'm also reading the book on which the movie was based now, to get more of the story (I usually want to do that when I watch "based on a true story" movies).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Force Majeure Pathetic failure pf a film to show male inadequacy in the face of an avalanche.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw La La Land and enjoyed it very much. A true original movie musical that isn't animated -- those are rare. Emma Stone is luminous, truly beautiful in it.

I also saw The Magnificent Seven, the remake starring Denzel Washington. Awful. That's ninety minutes of my life gone; thank goodness I had my knitting.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago, someone told me I should look out for the TV series The Librarians, and I finally got round to getting the first season on DVD.
It was so much fun I immediately sent off for the three TV films, starring Noah Wyle, which had preceded the series.
The premise is that there is a magical Library, underneath the New York Metropolitan Library, which collects and makes safe magical artefacts. In the first film the Serpent Brotherhood are looking for the scattered pieces of the Spear of Longinus, in the usual quest for world domination, and only the new, clueless, Librarian and his Guardian can stop them. It's part Indiana Jones and part Doctor Who (without the time travel but with a main character who solves problems by cleverness rather than shooting at stuff). Great escapism, and the TV series is fun as well.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Found Streamers on You Tube. It's one of those movies I only really know about because I saw it reviewed on Sneak Previews back in the early 80s.

Robert Altman directs this screen version of a play about repressed homosexuality and violence at a US army camp during the Vietnam War. Pretty good, but doesn't do much to hide its ancestry as a stage play. Slightly claustrophobic, given that it all takes place in one room.

I'd speculate that this is what got Matthew Modine the role of Joker in Full Metal Jacket, though his character here is a little less cocksure and in command of things.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Some time ago, someone told me I should look out for the TV series The Librarians, and I finally got round to getting the first season on DVD.
It was so much fun I immediately sent off for the three TV films, starring Noah Wyle, which had preceded the series.
The premise is that there is a magical Library, underneath the New York Metropolitan Library, which collects and makes safe magical artefacts. In the first film the Serpent Brotherhood are looking for the scattered pieces of the Spear of Longinus, in the usual quest for world domination, and only the new, clueless, Librarian and his Guardian can stop them. It's part Indiana Jones and part Doctor Who (without the time travel but with a main character who solves problems by cleverness rather than shooting at stuff). Great escapism, and the TV series is fun as well.

Hi Eigon, would you recommend starting with the films or the series? I saw an episode of the series at my MIL's on SyFy and really enjoyed it.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started off with the first two episodes of the series, which set up the new Librarians, while the original Librarian Flynn Carson went off screen on his own quest - which meant that I got dropped in the middle of the action with no idea who this madman was!
Then I caught up with the three movies, which took Flynn from new Librarian through various adventures to become the experienced Librarian who appears in the series.
I think my favourite of the films was the third, featuring vampires in New Orleans.
I hope that helps you decide, Gill!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I saw La La Land and enjoyed it very much. A true original movie musical that isn't animated -- those are rare. Emma Stone is luminous, truly beautiful in it.

Very hot weather here in Australia this week (near to 40 degC!) so I decamped to air-conditioned cinema this afternoon. Wife was working in a cool library, to I went to a film that I knew she would not choose: La La Land, as she does not like musicals.
I found it likeable entertainment, but seriously doubt that it is worth all of the the 10 or so Oscars for which it has been nominated. The singing and dancing were both quite well done, but not up to the spectacular standards of Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers and Gene Kelly. But one highlight to me (as a Bollywood fan) was the dance at the Planetarium, where the lovers appear to dance among the stars to an appropriate song about "stars aligning".
I agree with Brenda Clough that Emma Stone gave a good impression of the tribulations and heartbreaks of a would-be film star, made more believable as she is not (to my eye) a classical beauty herself.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And on the next , equally hot day, we both went to the air-conditioned cinema to see United Kingdom, which is based on the true story of the marriage in about 1950 between a black African chieftain from Botswana and a white English woman, in the face of strong opposition from the British colonial office (prompted by neighbouring apartheid-era south Africa).
The first 10 minutes was a rather clumsy rush through their initial romance and rush to get married. (No , the rush was not for that reason, but because he was being called back to Africa to become the local king!) But the real meat of the film came when she moved with him to Africa, initially an outcast from both black tribe and from the local colonial society.
David Olewoyo and Rosamund Pike do a great job capturing the emotions of the couple , and showing how they stick together to win through in the end.
Although I can recommend this film to any one, we found it particularly pertinent as the Marama and I have lived through the decolonisation process elsewhere in the world. Indeed the Marama has even taught courses on the history of the British empire, and so knew quite a lot about the politics of this process in Africa and the role of the real Sir Seretse Khama, who became the first and still-revered president of his country, though she hadn't known before about his wife.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Deepwater Horizon.

Quasi-documentary style sprinkled with odds and ends from classic-era disaster movies. John Malkovich's villainous BP exec ordering the well to be opened was straight out of Irwin Allen.

Probably would have been better handled by Paul Greengrass(not that he was offered the job, as far as I know), but keeps you suitably occupied for a couple of hours. Some chatter on IMDB about BP getting all the blame for the spill, though I guess they were the ones held ultimately responsible in real life.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Arrival.

Engaging, but somewhat overly ponderous, sci-fi flick about UFOs appearing in Montana and the efforts of a professional linguist to understand and harness their language.

SPOILERS

The script seems to think it's presenting us with some profound insights, but the time-flattening premise is lifted from Slaughterhouse Five, and the ruminations on language and its relation to reality are along the lines of Eskimos Have Twenty Five Words For Snow.

[ 03. February 2017, 16:46: Message edited by: Stetson ]

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going out to see more movies in the cinemas these days, and a couple weeks ago chose Passengers because it was described as a Sci-Fi movie.

What I saw was a Harlequin Romance set in space.

As you can probably guess, the best part was the popcorn.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Grand Budapest Hotel a parable about the fading glories of Europe.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

A King In New York.

Late-period, non-tramp Chaplin film about an exiled monarch finding his way around NYC, eventually getting mixed up in celebrity culture and politics.

Usually billed as a satire of McCarthyism, that aspect actually seems tagged-on, essentially ensuing from a more-or-less chance encounter the King has with a boy whose parents are under investigation as Communists. More pertinent from a 21st Century persepective is the script's prediction of Reality TV. (I suppose Candid Camera might have been an inspiration in 1957, but the television program that entraps the king is a little more real-life than that.)

Also noteworthy is a series of movie previews the king watches on a visit to a theatre, presumably meant to showcase Chaplin's disdain for the cinema of the 1950s. Low-hanging-fruit attacks on violent westerns and gangster films, plus a rather distasteful(though fairly pedestrian) putdown of trans-gendered romance. Apparently, jokes about transgendered people going to Denmark date back at least to 1957.

[ 07. February 2017, 13:26: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

And really rather a funny film with a great cast.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Boyhood about growing up and asking what's the point of life.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw A Dog's Purpose today. It's not the best movie I've ever seen, by far. However, it was a very nice way to have an hour+ of entertainment.

The dog looking for his purpose (spoiler...in many different reincarnations) puts his memories to work in figuring out why he's here.

A group of adults from a local care facility for those with mental challenges were in the theater with me. It was so delightful hearing their exclamations of joy and excitement (and some sadness, too). They added to the emotions I felt watching and rooting for that dog.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The Cider House Rules about how abortion can help people.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Cider House Rules about how abortion can help people.

This is a good film. I run a semi-regular film club at church, and this is one of the films I'm showing in Lent, to illustrate choices between good & evil, not-so-good & not-so-evil, and shades in between. Not convinced by Michael Caine's American accent though [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Snowden.

Pretty much what I could have expected, having recently read the book. Fairly standard bio-pic, with only the occassional flash of the patented Oliver Stone style. More Wall Street than Natural Born Killers.

As someone who holds to the idea that Snowden acted out of moral impulse, my own views align with those taken by the film, so not much to take issue with there. Some of the technical stuff was a little above my head, as is usually the case with stuff like this.

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Snowden.

As someone who holds to the idea that Snowden acted out of moral impulse, my own views align with those taken by the film, so not much to take issue with there.....

Have you seen his interview with John Oliver? He comes across as having tried to make a right moral choice.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Little Miss Sunshine A highly dysfunctional family travels to a beauty contest

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Snowden.

As someone who holds to the idea that Snowden acted out of moral impulse, my own views align with those taken by the film, so not much to take issue with there.....

Have you seen his interview with John Oliver? He comes across as having tried to make a right moral choice.
No, but thanks for the heads-up. I've actually seen very little footage of the guy. Something about the case, though, just leads me to believe that he was motivated by concern for the public good, not by self-serving financial interests or narrow ideological sympathies. I guess maybe because he revealed it all to the media, rather than channeling it secretly to a foreign government.

[ 13. February 2017, 18:50: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:

And really rather a funny film with a great cast.
Funny as in weird IMHO.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Escaped the 40C+ weather last week to see Lion in an air-conditioned cinema. An amazing true story. At least I think it is pretty faithful to the story.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Avatar About humankinds’ exploitation of the environment – uses stunning CGI

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

I agree. Highly recommended, not just for the subject matter but also for the way the story unfolds and for the way the women respond with humour to situations which could have made them cry.
Example:
Prissy male white engineer: "You can't come to the daily briefing with the Air Force because there is no protocol for a woman to go to such meetings."
Black female mathematician: "But I can't start the calculations you want until you tell me 3 hours later what came out of the briefing . And there's no protocol for putting a man into space either, but that's what we're doing, so I'm going in."

Mrs T had a more political response: If that's what white America was still like 100 years after slavery was nominally ended, then it's no wonder that the reaction to having a black President and women in positions of power was so severe that they elected Trump.

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Escaped the 40C+ weather last week to see Lion in an air-conditioned cinema. An amazing true story. At least I think it is pretty faithful to the story.

Saw Lion last night in a tiny cinema in Rye. Very weird seeing these huge vistas of land, sea and sky in a small room that held about maximum 50 people. Great film though. The little boy who acted Dev Patel as a child was amazing, just incredible acting. Loved it.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Notes on Blindness about my former colleague John Hull - very moving, as was the man himelf.

--------------------

DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather enjoyed T2 a couple of weeks ago, different to trainspotting but as ever Spud is an absolute star.

On Thursday my lovely wife is off to a friends for the evening so it is a steak or possibly seafood and chips to settle down to watch a film I have not seen in ages by the Coen brothers called Blood Simple not a great film but very enjoyable noir-ish tale with M. Emmett Walsh as a disgusting private investigator.

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

"Toni Erdmann" a very funny (though sometimes bittersweet) German film about a 40 y.o. female management consultant, and her father who by pretending to be a life coach of her main client, makes a farce of her business meetings, while he tries to restore her humanity.

Apparently it's being remade by Hollywood for American audiences, who Hollywood believes can't cope with subtitles. I'll bet some of the best scenes are cut out in the American remake, especially (spoiler alert!) the hilariously misunderstood nude party. (Nudity is not much of an issue in Germany, home of the original "naturist" movement.)

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
[QUOTE].... I'm also reading the book on which the movie was based now, to get more of the story (I usually want to do that when I watch "based on a true story" movies).

Both "Hidden Figures" and "United Kingdom" are fine films, "based on" true stories told at greater length and in more detail in books. In both cases, the true story spreads over more years and lacks at least one key scene in the film. In both cases, the outcome of the key scene is true (the mathematician Katherine did play a serious role in working out astronaut Glenn's orbit; Botswana came to independence with control of its diamond resource) but the real life sequence of events to get to that outcome was more complicated than portrayed.

But such compression is in the nature of most (all?) film adaptations, so I don't think it matters - especially if in a "true" story the core truth comes through, which it did IMO in both these films.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went with a family with a 6-year-old to see Lego Batman. It was fun, especially if you know a great deal about the comic book character. But not a tour-de-force like the first Lego movie, which was spectacular.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
We went with a family with a 6-year-old to see Lego Batman. It was fun, especially if you know a great deal about the comic book character. But not a tour-de-force like the first Lego movie, which was spectacular.

We saw Lego Batman last night -- no 6-year-old to justify our existence, just me and my husband and our 17-year-old daughter. I loved it. It's the perfect antidote to the way the Batman movies have kept getting darker and darker and more intense and broody.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, a solid case can be made that while the main line of comic books and (Lord knows) the movies have lost their way, the children's versions of the Dark Knight hold true. The Batman Animated series is very nearly perfect.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are any Shippies attending any of the Borderlines Film Festival? It is about halfway done. There are a few films being shown that I wouldn't mind seeing if, you know, I wasn't an ocean or so away.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Defiance true story of Jewish resistance to the Nazis
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We watched Doctor Strange yesterday, and loved every moment. It's certainly different from other Marvel films.

We also re-watched Thor: The Dark World, and are looking forward to Ragnarok.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Wasn't Strange fun? Fully capturing the trippy drug-like imagery of the 1960s, when he first appeared on the scene.

I do not see every Marvel movie (they are too action-heavy, there's a limit to how much superheroic combat I can tolerate) but I have heard good reports of Logan, the new Wolverine film.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw Logan last night. It really is very good; it's unlike any of the other Marvel films and, I suspect, what DC would like their films to look like.

Be warned, it's extremely violent, though in a believable way. I find violence with real consequences infinitely preferable to the many films where the characters are beating the crap out of each other without leaving bruises or taking out unwitting police officers.

The actor playing the girl, Laura, stands up against Stewart and Jackman and there's an unexpected and non-comedic turn by Stephen Merchant.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I saw Logan last night. It really is very good; it's unlike any of the other Marvel films and, I suspect, what DC would like their films to look like.

They need to hire, and listen to, writers more than they need fancy directors. Seriously. This is why PIXAR was kicking Disney's arse until they merged. Story is king.

quote:

Be warned, it's extremely violent, though in a believable way. I find violence with real consequences infinitely preferable to the many films where the characters are beating the crap out of each other without leaving bruises or taking out unwitting police officers.

The actor playing the girl, Laura, stands up against Stewart and Jackman and there's an unexpected and non-comedic turn by Stephen Merchant.

Other than the whole mutant thing, I do think it was the most realistic of the recent superhero films.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016