homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Movie thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Movie thread
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Not exactly a movie, but a TV series I have just watched on DVD. It was shown last year on BBC 'Broken' starring Sean Bean as a Catholic priest in a gritty Northern setting.

Not an easy watch. There were days when I couldn't face watching another episode as I knew it would sting too much.

Realistic, messy, we see the priest, ministering to parishioners who find themselves in all sorts of tragic situations, while fighting his own demons. Absolutely amazing. As a portrayal of what it truly means (and costs) to try to offer genuine Christlike pastoral care in the real world, I don't think it has been bettered.

How did I manage to miss this when it was on TV last year? Anybody else seen it? What do the Catholics here think?

I'm not a Catholic.

I thought it was the best thing I saw last year. Massively moving and extremely powerful.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All The Money In The World.

Saw it on the weekend. Yeah, it was good, though, in keeping with the general trend of Ridley Scott's recent output, wasn't exactly cutting-edge in either it craftsmanship or narrative technique.

And granted, this could be a bit of kneejerk film-snobbery, but I found myself thinking that Kevin Spacey would have been more interesting as J. Paul Getty. Christopher Plummer is actually an actor of rather limited range, and his performance seemed like yet another rendition of the same partician, corporate villain he played in Wolf, 12 Monkeys, Syriana, and Inside Man.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too bad Spacey's character doesn't seem to match his talent.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm catching up on Disney! Bedknobs and Broomsticks. More than 30 years old, and dated, but quite entertaining.

Angela Lansbury, who plays the apprentice witch, has come a long way from the actress who featured in a book on "Broads". It must be an advantage not to be an ingenue or romantic lead - she has had a long-running career as a character actor - detective in "Murder she wrote", and also in theatre. And that's with multiple joint replacements.

I find cinemas' surround sound too loud, and am rarely around to watch films on TV, so rely on DVDs. Unless I'm at a friend who has catch-up - my TV is too elderly for that.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angela Lansbury is indeed amazing. Loved her small but effective role in the recent BBC version of 'Little Women' as Aunt March.

Back to 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' which really does look as if Disney wanted to do 'Mary Poppins 2 - now with added Nazis!'. I grew up with 'Disney Time' on TV every Easter and Christmas, so must have seen that football match dozens of times. But my favourite part is 'Portobello Road'. Who knew multiculturalism was so easy? Just ask the Sherman Brothers to write a catchy tune and get everyone to do a dance number. Sorted!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black Panther.

All the discussion of the cultural/political significance aside, It was nice to see a Marvel film that wasn't loaded with cross-references and in-jokes.

Though I gather the next installment is gonna have the hero teaming up with The Avengers, so I guess that was too good to last.

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Phantom Of The Opera.

Yep, THAT one. Lon Chaney, 1925. Another one of those "I can't believe I didn't see this before the age of 49" entrants for me.

I guess both the film and Chaney's performance live up to their time-honoured reputation. He certainly was an expert at conveying voiceless emotion(a generally required talent in those days, though he was probably better than most).

I did find find the film somewhat LESS romatic than the Lloyd Webber treatment(which I'd wager is now most people's idea of the story). You get the impression that the Phantom really is just a creep, not someone you would dress up as when proposing to your girlfriend(yes, I have heard a credible story of someone doing that, dressed in the Lloyd Webber costume).

I don't know if I had ever before seen a black-and-white film tinted in the way that this one was. Plus, the Masque scene is in actual Technicolor.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The Running Man.

I think this was the first time that I'd ever seen the whole thing in its entirety. "The Game Where The Players Die" does have an honourable enough pedigree(The Minotaur and all that), but I find it to be one of the more overused tropes in recent sci-fi, and I don't think it was much more original in 1987 than it is now.

Jabs at reality TV are both prescient, but for that reason, also a little stale by contemporary lights, since the rise of the genre has of course been accompanied by a rise in criticism of it("The Kardashians" now being short-hand for whatever aspects of pop culture that someone doesn't like). So that part of the storyline probably isn't as cutting-edge as it admittedly might have been in the late 80s.

Other than that, everyone does their job competently enough, especially Richard Dawson as a man-you-love-to-hate villain. Though, for true appreciation, it probably helps for that bit of casting to be a surprise. Which it probably isn't for most viewers now. (If they know who he is, which, if they don't, it's even less effective.)

[ 17. February 2018, 16:00: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Black Panther.

All the discussion of the cultural/political significance aside, It was nice to see a Marvel film that wasn't loaded with cross-references and in-jokes.

Though I gather the next installment is gonna have the hero teaming up with The Avengers, so I guess that was too good to last.

Whilst the MCU maintains continuity and twists its story-lines through each other, I don't think it is completely accurate to say that the Avengers films are instalments in the individual character's own story-line.
Whilst it the film suffered from a few flaws that, I think could have been tweaked, it was easily one of the top Marvel films, and I think the best. It also deserves a top place in the pantheon of superhero films, regardless of who made them.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one that saw Black Panther. Daughter-Unit, her dear hubby and I went together, and we really enjoyed it! The story was a good one for people like me who had never seen one of the comics. The fierce women were awesome!!!

Just a heads-up...there are two extras during and after the credits. Don't leave as soon as the movie is over!

I also saw The Shape of Water. I liked the film, but it was very odd. I don't think it counts as a spoiler to mention that it's a bit disturbing that the cleaning women were cleaning and cleaning, but everything looked dark and filthy. Let's just say, I wouldn't get in that tub!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Angela Lansbury is indeed amazing. Loved her small but effective role in the recent BBC version of 'Little Women' as Aunt March.

Back to 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' which really does look as if Disney wanted to do 'Mary Poppins 2 - now with added Nazis!'. I grew up with 'Disney Time' on TV every Easter and Christmas, so must have seen that football match dozens of times. But my favourite part is 'Portobello Road'. Who knew multiculturalism was so easy? Just ask the Sherman Brothers to write a catchy tune and get everyone to do a dance number. Sorted!

I remember loving Angela Lansbury as the (rather sinister) Grandmother in The Company of Wolves.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

I also saw The Shape of Water. I liked the film, but it was very odd. I don't think it counts as a spoiler to mention that it's a bit disturbing that the cleaning women were cleaning and cleaning, but everything looked dark and filthy. Let's just say, I wouldn't get in that tub!!!

Yes, wasn't it strange?
The Creature from the Black Lagoon in a Fred Astaire romance. I noted how all the good guys were the under-people of that time period -- women, handicapped persons, blacks, gays, creatures of unlovely species that were not cute. They were never the heroes of all the media stuff that we were shown, the TV, the movies. But they all worked together to help each other. The people at the top, the white men with the power who were confident they were the stars, would stab each other in the back at the drop of a hat.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Black Panther.

All the discussion of the cultural/political significance aside,

Except, let us talk about this a bit.
The world building was amazing here. Not perfect, but better than any Marvel attempt so far.
The others are either pretty much our world with a few fantasy elements or complete fantasy. For Wakanda they needed to create a civilisation and ethos that did into exist, yet still blended with reality. And without being a cliché stereotype.
Add in strong, fierce women who were not dominated by the males and address cultural issues and current politics: this film is larger than the sum of its parts.

[ 21. February 2018, 22:13: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

louis crandall
Apprentice
# 18781

- Posted      Profile for louis crandall   Email louis crandall   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from seeing The shape of water.
I thought it was an excellent film. hoping to see Black panther next Saturday.

Posts: 9 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
louis crandall
Apprentice
# 18781

- Posted      Profile for louis crandall   Email louis crandall   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also looking forward to seeing The breadwinner and Mary and the witchs flower- the latter made by studio ponoc who are Studio Ghibli alumni if not at the cinema then as soon as they come on dvd. also big fan of Makoto Shinkai.
Posts: 9 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
it's a bit disturbing that the cleaning women were cleaning and cleaning, but everything looked dark and filthy. Let's just say, I wouldn't get in that tub!!!

A symbol of America's guilt?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by louis crandall:
Just got back from seeing The shape of water.
I thought it was an excellent film. hoping to see Black panther next Saturday.

I saw it on Thursday - a modern morality tale.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Getting this in before the sinking...

Somewhat coincideantally, given subsequent events, I watched Dogma the other night, for the first time since it came out in '99.

I wasn't overly impressed with it the first time, and my opinion didn't change much upon a re-screening. There are some fairly amusing set-ups and runs of dialogue, but the overarching theology seemed derived from the plot-line of one of those ridiculous Catholic-themed horror films, like End Of Days. And at least those are usually redeemed by having cool visuals.

But credit to Kevin Smith for trying to grapple with religious themes in a youth-oriented ruanch comedy. Gotta go.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016