homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » I don't want to go to your wedding (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I don't want to go to your wedding
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
In the Orthodox church I am told that only priests are allowed to go into the sanctuary behind the altar rail. I assume this means they do their own vacuuming, plumbing repair, etc.

No one is allowed in the altar who does not have a purpose for being there. Since women are not clergy they don't have that reason to be there. Some of the more girl-cooties-fearing Orthodox don't even let them clean. You can be sure that a women's monastery, the nuns will be cleaning in the altar.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Actually, the comparison of Forward in Faith to patriarchy isn’t right.

They follow the vast majority of Christians in seeing women’s gifts and callings as distinctive.

They’re not against women’s ministry but against women’s presbyteral ministry – priests are servants – F in F don’t want to reduced women to the status of servants.

That's not what those of us looking in see - and that's not what women in those circles tell me they experience. It's all a boys club with clear misogynist tendencies and expressions
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding my own graduations from Universities unnamed, I would not have bothered with the fuss and feathers of the ceremony, Canada Post being good enough for me. But when Mother heard of my plans, or lack of them, for my BA, she burst into tears, me having successfully dodged graduation ceremonies at high school, and I had to go through with it, despite having a stinking cold.

I was wiser at my Master's graduation, and resignedly invited her along, but instead of having her cooing over the whole thing at a restaurant dinner, I insisted on a private dinner at the house I lived in, figuring that Mother would be distracted by two toddlers and a baby obviously to be (my friend was in the 7th month of her third pregnancy - they went on to have SEVEN children). That went well [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo
They follow the vast majority of Christians in seeing women’s gifts and callings as distinctive.

It irritates hell out of me when men assume they know what my gifts and callings are because I am a woman. It is true that there are differences between men as a group and women as a group, but there is a huge amount of overlap.

Very few women have the physical strength to be piano-movers, but if a woman has the strength and wants to do it, there is no reason why she shouldn't.

When I was in college, some of the male students told me I had the mind of a man. They thought they were paying me a compliment, but they were actually telling me I was a freak. I don't have the mind of a man; I have the mind of an intelligent woman.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by leo

It irritates hell out of me when men assume they know what my gifts and callings are because I am a woman. It is true that there are differences between men as a group and women as a group, but there is a huge amount of overlap.

Very few women have the physical strength to be piano-movers, but if a woman has the strength and wants to do it, there is no reason why she shouldn't.

When I was in college, some of the male students told me I had the mind of a man. They thought they were paying me a compliment, but they were actually telling me I was a freak. I don't have the mind of a man; I have the mind of an intelligent woman.

Moo

That's when you need that female piano mover to smack the smug off his face

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
I hate weddings - patriarrchy - so don 't go to any.

Hahahahaha

Yes, the man and woman decide to get married, he gives her a $5000 ring, she gives him a big kiss. She decides they're going to have a huge wedding with a rented hall, a catered dinner, a band and a $8000 dress; and her father is going to pay for it. She and her mother plan every last detail and make every decision with any ideas from the groom quickly laughed to the ground.

The big day comes and somewhere in between her grand entrance and the embarrassing vows she's written for the two of them, the pastor might be permitted to say the line, "Who gives this woman in marriage?" to the father. It's about as literal in meaning as her white dress. That's the sum total of your awful patriarchy.

You two are so right together...! It would make a great movie, you know, the ones where they seethe with hatred for each other, right up until the point they realise they're in love...

Seriously, though: While I'm plenty prepared to believe that weddings can perpetrate patriarchy, and may, sometimes, approximate Twilight's caricature, I have not, in my whole life, attended a wedding that is anything like what she describes. It's obviously a fairly traumatic and scarring experience. If it helps at all to restore your faith in humanity, Twilight, I had an $800* ring, a $600 dress, no band, 100 people to a buffet dinner, made all decisions (apart from dress) in concert with fiancee, with $1000 dollars provided by each set of parents and the rest coming from our own pockets. We were graduate students at the time, so the pockets weren't very deep. (I know, anecdata...)

I wore a white dress, which I had a 'literal' right to do, according to your styling. Though I'd have worn blue if I felt like it - or purple, or whatever. The whole virginity thing isn't important to me now, but it was at the time. And you'd better freaking believe no-one asked my father if he was giving me away! I had lived 600 miles away from 'home' for five years by that point - I was well and truly off his hands. Nor did anyone ceremonially unveil me, seeing as I'm not a painting, or a slab of granite, or a piece of merchandise (yeah, I see the patriarchy in that bit).

*That's NZD we're talking about - edging ever closer to parity with yours but at about 50 USC at the time I married.

The kind I described is the kind my husband's eight sisters had and the kind my cousin and her daughters had, but then they're all millionaires.

I, on the other hand eloped the first time and had a church wedding the second time, where I wore a blue dress that cost $19.99 and had 30 guests to a sit down dinner paid for by me with my minimum wage salary.

I'm also the only woman I know who has been married twice and never had an engagement ring of any kind -- and not because I said I didn't want one.

My point to Leo (and you) being that I've experienced all kinds of weddings and still don't see the horrid example of patriarchy in them. In fact what I see is just the opposite. A woman-thing done her way in the majority of cases, whether it be opulent or simple.

[ 30. September 2017, 16:52: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It irritates hell out of me when men assume they know what my gifts and callings are because I am a woman. ...

Ahh-men, and thank you, Moo.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A vast swathe of humanity would benefit from meeting my daughter. She's a US Army major. After she's done with you, you will know what a woman can do. And if you didn't vote against Obamacare, you might even have the medical attention you'll need.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Actually, the comparison of Forward in Faith to patriarchy isn’t right.

They’re not against women’s ministry but against women’s presbyteral ministry – priests are servants – F in F don’t want to reduced women to the status of servants.

That's not what those of us looking in see - and that's not what women in those circles tell me they experience. It's all a boys club with clear misogynist tendencies and expressions
I recently chatted with a local A-C vicar. He is very much in favour of women's ministry. He was a curate when the first ordination of women took place in this Diocese and his vicar actually banned him from attending! Fortunately he stuck up two fingers at said vicar (metaphorically I think) and went anyway.

[ 30. September 2017, 17:06: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo

Moo

I said' the vast majority of Xians' - over half of those are women.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Are you trying to argue that women can't be sexist? Or are you just too massively idiotic to realize that the statement is fundamental sexist, and that anybody who believes it is themselves sexist by definition?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Women's and men's roles are shaped by society. This impacts the way women's and men's vocations are seen and understood. I get highly worried that with some the ordination of women is seen as fixing all the injustices in the current situation. It then becomes an excuse for not looking at the ways their own behaviour limits and restricts the roles others may take within the church.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo

Are you saying that the vast majority of Christian women believe that there is no overlap between the gifts and callings of women and the gifts and callings of men? AFAIK I don't know any Christian women who believe this.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo

Are you saying that the vast majority of Christian women believe that there is no overlap between the gifts and callings of women and the gifts and callings of men? AFAIK I don't know any Christian women who believe this.

Moo

The vast majority of Xians are RC and Orthodox.

These churches teach that women cannot be ordained.

Over 50% s these churche’ members are women.

So, yes. There are women who oppose the OOW

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Correlation is not causation.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I estimate 50% of married people are women.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:

You take it for granted that all RC and Orthodox women agree with their church in this matter.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are women who oppose the OOW

...and every last one of them is sexist. Just like you, you giant logic-resistant bubo.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I know plenty of RC women who agree with their church's line that priests must be male. None of them would say anything at all like this earlier quote from you:

quote:
priests are servants – F in F don’t want to reduced women to the status of servants.
but would instead talk about the priest standing in persona Christi and about how maleness was part of that.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
There was a full bottle of Johnny Walker Red on each table at the start of the night. My wife and I left at the first available opportunity (our signature style) ...

There was a bottle of Johnny Walker Red on each table and you guys bailed?!? [Disappointed]
My piss has a nicer colour and probably a better flavour.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go ahead, do a taste test.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW to Cod:
Go ahead, do a taste test.

On the rocks, or straight up?
Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. This thread really went off (as in a party going off) didn't it.

I've tried to resist posting this, but I have terrible impulse control. Whenever I see this thread pop up as "I don't want to go ..." I am driven to sing the Elvis Costello song 'I don't want to go to Chelsea.'

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, my dear God. I think exactly the same thing every time I see the title.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always think of the song that begins, "Please Mr.Custer, I don't wanna go."
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
There are women who oppose the OOW

...and every last one of them is sexist. Just like you, you giant logic-resistant bubo.
How am I sexist just because I explain somone else's view?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

I know plenty of RC women who agree with their church's line that priests must be male. None of them would say anything at all like this earlier quote from you:

quote:
priests are servants – F in F don’t want to reduced women to the status of servants.
but would instead talk about the priest standing in persona Christi and about how maleness was part of that.

Nor should they - F in F is Anglican, RCs aren't.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably best not to try to explain someone else's view, especially with this particular Dead Horse!

A couple of relatively young women at Our Place are opposed to OOW (on theological grounds, AIUI). I respect their views, though I cannot understand them or share them, and I believe they respect mine in return. That said, we carry on together with being The Church in our parish.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting back to the subject of weddings, I see that the collapse of Monarch Airlines in the UK has affected one couple planning to get married in Gran Canaria, according to BBC News:

quote:
Alan Jee was due to get married in Gran Canaria on Saturday and arrived at Gatwick airport with 30 members of his family.

"I have spent £12,000 on my wedding and now I can't even go and get married," he said. "I am gutted, absolutely gutted, and my missus is in tears, an emotional wreck."

A shame, yes, of course - but the Marriage is more important than the Wedding, no? Hopefully, they'll survive the ordeal, perhaps going through a less-expensive ceremony here, and then live happily ever after.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Getting back to the subject of weddings

I approve and endorse this message.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Destination weddings are full of the most awful peril. It is tons easier and cheaper, always, to get married in the church near your home. The notion of going to St. Lucia, or Napa (where my sister had hers) is madness.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, the daughter of one of my former crewmates went to some Foreign Part to get married, at enormous expense of £££.

My crewmate came back with tales of a beach too windy for the ceremony to be held thereupon, raw sewage coming out of the hotel taps, faulty paperwork that wasn't accepted in the UK as proof of marriage, etc. etc.

I'm happy to report, however, that the happy couple rose to the occasion, and are still together (with about 6 kidz now, I believe)!

IJ

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Destination weddings are full of the most awful peril.

I'd argue that it's a wedding that is orders of magnitude more perilous than any destination.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

So now I'm thinking of a new trend of Extreme Weddings.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
So now I'm thinking of a new trend of Extreme Weddings.

New?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Most of those aren't extreme, they're themed. Extreme is zip-wiring over an active volcano.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

quote:

The official Roman Catholic line speaks of priest as servant.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Perhaps you missed my subtle direction earlier. Weddings, please, and their related enormities. Pretty certain the role of priests belongs on a different board.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I assisted backstage at a colossal wedding at our church, some years ago. Five bridesmaids, plus the bride, gathered in one of the rooms to dress. Alas, they had each brought a bottle. Six different horrible liqueurs, creme de menthe, Bailey's Irish cream, and so on. They passed these around and around and then tossed the empties into the wastepaper basket. Just imagining the witch's brew in their tummies makes me queasy. I was able to get them lined up to reel down the aisle, but the Lord alone knows what the reception was like. After that (the sight of the wastepaper basket was enough!) we got a no-liquor policy on the church campus.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hopefully they saved the [Projectile] for the reception (or the wedding-night bed.... [Snigger] ).

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

They didn't do it on the sanctuary carpet, which is all I cared about. We have wall-to-wall around the altar area, to hide the panel in the floor that covers the immersion baptism pool.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Most of those aren't extreme, they're themed. Extreme is zip-wiring over an active volcano.

Back in the '60/'70s, IIRC, when marriage practices in the US were loosening up, there was a couple who had a sky-diving wedding--as in, their clergy jumped with them, and the vows were done in mid-air. I presume their witnesses were also there.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Next stop, Pamplona.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vis-a-vis brides or grooms who are intoxicated: in the UK being drunk during the ceremony can be grounds for annulment with the reasoning that excess alcohol can bring the whole issue of true/informed consent into question.

In layman's terms: if you absolutely MUST have a drink before your wedding, are you sure the wedding is the right thing for you?

30 years ago the vicar of the parish where I worked refused to marry a couple because the groom was clearly smashed and incoherent.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish this couple had gone for Pamplona. It would have added some atmosphere.

I went. It was cold. Also watching endless montages of someone else’s family photos is not my idea of thrilling entertainment (at least four videos – they’ve now all melded into one dreary fuzz – of a good ten minutes each). The only bit that broke through the monotony with a helping of distinct annoyance was in the series “my girlfriends” where bizarrely none of the people shown were actually close enough friends to be in the room on her wedding day. And then up pops a photo of Bridezilla and assorted other guests of the female persuasion at MY wedding. She’s offended all her own friends so my friends were called on to sub. The photo went by rather quickly so I’m not 100% sure, but I think there was at least one person on there she’s no longer speaking to. I was Cross™.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But was the dinner good?

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

At my church the clergy have a rule: the marriage license has to be there. This rule was promulgated after some awful incident that was before my time, thank God, so I don't know the details. No license, no ceremony.
And thus at a wedding a few years ago, when the groom reported that he had left the license on the kitchen table, the rector stuck in his toes and refused to budge, even in the face of a churchful of guests and the entire bridal party. However, the reception was going to be in the undercroft. So the solution was simple -- everyone went downstairs and ate and drank and partied, having a wonderful time. The groom had to get into his car and drive back through traffic to fetch the license. He returned with the proper document, the happy congregation piled back upstairs into the pews, and the reception concluded with the actual ceremony. Everyone happy except, possibly, the groom, but one must hope that he had compensations.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At my church the clergy have a rule: the marriage license has to be there. This rule was promulgated after some awful incident that was before my time, thank God, so I don't know the details. No license, no ceremony.

I've always made sure we have it at least by the time of the wedding rehearsal, if not sooner.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
But was the dinner good?

IJ

So-so. The starter was average; main course actually rather pleasant; cheese and dessert not bad but nothing special and I don’t really like pièce montée (French choux pastry dessert traditionally served at weddings – very common but I am far from alone in finding it too sweet and rich for the end of a large meal).

The wine was not bad either but I am am present under doctor’s orders and thus couldn’t survive the interminable slide show by drinking myself into a stupor. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Actually, living in France, and not being allowed to drink wine, sounds like a form of Purgatory, so you have my deepest sympathy.

[Frown]

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016