homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » I don't want to go to your wedding (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I don't want to go to your wedding
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'all weird.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably because they fail to feed it with booze. A good fruitcake will put you over the limit after a slice.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, that depends upon just how thick the slices are.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
No structural integrity to maintain! No overengineered cake batter!

This and other comments about what goes into holding up a multi-tiered cake make me think none of you has paid much attention when one was cut. Bakers poke dowels into the lower levels and place a cake board beneath each tier; they don't rely on the cake on lower levels to support the rest.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good fruit cake should not only last the impending apocalypse, it should be able to provide shelter from the same to those hiding under its sultanaly eaves.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
A couple I knew saved the top tier of their cake for their First Anniversary. They lived in a small apartment with a tiny refrigerator and a freezer just big enough to hold the tier of cake. So for a year, they could never buy frozen groceries in advance of eating them, nor could they freeze leftovers. The First Anniversary came along -- the top tier had been made of Styrofoam.

Could have been angel food cake. There is no difference really, in terms of texture and flavour.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A good fruit cake should...last the impending apocalypse
Up the road here an elderly pair of brothers packed up the motorbike and bicycle shop their dad had started in the 30s, about 10 years ago (Just looked it up. 18 years ago. Hmmm). They found a fruitcake in a tin in the cellar. 'We think our Mum made it around the end of the war'.

I had a sniff. It smelt OK to me.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Captain Scott's fruitcake holds the current (currant?) record...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
It's probably because they fail to feed it with booze. A good fruitcake will put you over the limit after a slice.

A waste of good booze.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Americans Do. Not. Like. Fruitcake.

Speak for your west-coast self, cliffdweller. My mother's fruitcake—her grandmother's or great-grandmother's recipe—was awesome.

The problem is that most Americans have never had decent fruitcake. Much of what passes for fruitcake here is to fruitcake as Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
No structural integrity to maintain! No overengineered cake batter!

This and other comments about what goes into holding up a multi-tiered cake make me think none of you has paid much attention when one was cut. Bakers poke dowels into the lower levels and place a cake board beneath each tier; they don't rely on the cake on lower levels to support the rest.
I don't think the half-rate bakers were paying attention either.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

We finally finished off our wedding cake a couple of years ago, 8 years after the event. It was still lovely, although I think the tier we ate after 5 years was at its optimum booze/moisture ratio. We didn't freeze it, just wrapped tightly in foil and kept in an airtight container.

Fruitcake is the food of the gods. Along with Marmite, obviously.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

We finally finished off our wedding cake a couple of years ago, 8 years after the event. It was still lovely, although I think the tier we ate after 5 years was at its optimum booze/moisture ratio. We didn't freeze it, just wrapped tightly in foil and kept in an airtight container.

Proof we live in a fallen world; you were absolutely and completely correct until the penultimate word where you revealed your fallen, corrupt and totally depraved soul.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

Yeah, the gods

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just feel so immensely sad for y'all since clearly you have never experienced the wonderment of truly good cake as God intends it to be if you think fruitcake is at all an acceptable substitute... [Waterworks]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I, too, loathe fruitcake. Partly because of the particular fruit, I think. Is it citron? That would explain it. I hate that in other baked goods, too. And, if it's an alcohol-marinated cake, I can't have it, because I don't drink.

Now, a nice carrot cake/bread, or date, or banana, or zucchini, or pumpkin...yum! And, of course, dark chocolate cake.
[Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Yes, I, too, loathe fruitcake. Partly because of the particular fruit, I think. Is it citron? That would explain it. I hate that in other baked goods, too. And, if it's an alcohol-marinated cake, I can't have it, because I don't drink.

You don't have to put citron in fruit cake if you don't want to. Often I don't - just various kinds of raisins, and candied orange and lemon peel. I'm not much of a fan of glacé cherries. But whilst you can make a fruit cake without the booze, it's a pale imitation of the real thing.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't have to 'feed' a fruitcake with booze post cooking, you use it before so you get the benefits but the alcohol is evaporated off during baking.

For a Christmas cake I always soak the dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, currants, chopped dates) in a mixture of barley wine and rum for a week before making the cake. You end up with a moist cake but without any risk of being over the limit to drive. (Of course, one can do both: soak the fruit and feed the cake!)

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Yeah, the gods

Think I found me a new avatar.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Now, a nice carrot cake/bread, or date, or banana, or zucchini, or pumpkin...yum!

We had carrot cake for our wedding - a sheet cake, so no mechanical engineering involved. I don't remember if we kept a piece for later - I'm not sure there was any left.

But I am quite glad it wasn't fruitcake instead, as when my wife went to give me a bite she crammed the whole piece into my mouth. I ended up on the floor - a combination of laughing and gasping for breath - but finally managed to work through it enough to breathe. The same quantity of fruitcake could have been fatal.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Okay, so now I'm going to ask:

What the hell is this thing of the bride and groom feeding each other cake? Because it's not cute, it's grotesque. Stop it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
What the hell is this thing of the bride and groom feeding each other cake?

It's a metaphor for how awkwardly intertwined their lives are about to become, and how pathetically unaware they are about the intricacies of sharing life. It's insight into their 30.8% chance of failure.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What the hell is this thing of the bride and groom feeding each other cake? Because it's not cute, it's grotesque. Stop it.

Even worse is when they feel a need to smear the icing all over each other's faces. (After the bride probably spent an hour or so getting her make-up just right.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMO that’s into “You need to get a room” territory.

[ 19. October 2017, 22:46: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Presumably, if the wedding planning has been at all effective, they already have a room.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a metaphor for how awkwardly intertwined their lives are about to become, and how pathetically unaware they are about the intricacies of sharing life. It's insight into their 30.8% chance of failure.
I like it.

And is that 30.8%, their chance of divorce? The remaining 69.2% are happy, successful marriages not at all held together by responsibility, inertia and tired, sad resignation?

I reckon their chance of lasting happiness (based on unscientific sampling of the up-to-fifteen men who I trust to talk frankly to me about such things) is less than 10%. Much less, unless they stop humiliating each other at meal times.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is a transatlantic thing, right? I have only ever seen this in US films.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
I like it.

And is that 30.8%, their chance of divorce? The remaining 69.2% are happy, successful marriages not at all held together by responsibility, inertia and tired, sad resignation?

I reckon their chance of lasting happiness (based on unscientific sampling of the up-to-fifteen men who I trust to talk frankly to me about such things) is less than 10%. Much less, unless they stop humiliating each other at meal times.

I'd agree with your 10% number overall. My parents weren't too convinced, either. It's too early to say how it will work out, of course, but we're in the "happy, successful" stage and haven't reached "tired, sad resignation" yet. But it's only been 33 years...
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I think maybe it's like each having a wine glass, wrapping their arms around each other, and each drinking from the other's glass.

Either that, or they're exhausted and nervous, and don't know what they're doing.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yuk

I’m glad to say I’ve never seen such a thing.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

[Biased] "I'm glad to say I've never even *seen* a spade!"

--"The Importance Of Being Earnest"

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I just feel so immensely sad for y'all since clearly you have never experienced the wonderment of truly good cake as God intends it to be if you think fruitcake is at all an acceptable substitute... [Waterworks]

Substitute? Nay, not a substitute. I simply embrace the wide diversity of all of God’s cakes.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except those ghastly sickly cupcakes, more icing than cake and an abomination unto the Lord.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I think maybe it's like each having a wine glass, wrapping their arms around each other, and each drinking from the other's glass.

Either that, or they're exhausted and nervous, and don't know what they're doing.

The normal feeding is very much an American tradition, and yes, not unlike the drinking champagne with entwined arms (which is also sometimes featured in American wedding receptions, tho not as frequently as the cake-eating thing). Both my weddings involved the cake-feeding-- and since it was the good, non-fruitcake kind of cake, happily so. Don't think I've ever been to a wedding w/o it.

The smashing the cake in your new spouse's face is a newer innovation, doesn't really seem to have anything to do with being hammered, and it's definitely not erotic. It's just a sort of prank, but one that always seems mean-spirited. Sometimes they'll even tease like they're offering a bite, then wait til the last minute & spouse's face is close to do the smashing. I suppose some people like it, but I would have been really hurt had DH done this.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

As I said.

Grotesque.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cake feeding??? WHY?

I could understand it if the bride (or groom) had the dominant hand in plaster (or similar) but otherwise it strikes me as infantile and weird.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

As cliffdweller said, it’s pretty ubiquitous at American weddings. I’ve always heard that it symbolizes a commitment to provide for one another. (That symbolism is, of course, obscured beyond recognition by shoving the cake in one another’s faces.)

I’ll confess—I found it to be a rather light-heartedly sweet and intimate moment.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
As cliffdweller said, it’s pretty ubiquitous at American weddings. I’ve always heard that it symbolizes a commitment to provide for one another.

Given that I find most American cake to be overly sweet and superficial, but lacking in substance, this is really quite a splendid metaphor. [Two face]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Given that I find most American cake to be overly sweet and superficial, but lacking in substance, this is really quite a splendid metaphor. [Two face]

Ha! Can’t really argue, especially if one is talking about the typical white cake wedding cake. That does seem that be slowly changing though.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

We have white wedding cakes. Except they are iced fruit cakes. And are lovely.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

Ha! Can’t really argue, especially if one is talking about the typical white cake wedding cake. That does seem that be slowly changing though.
I had a chocolate cake - over 40 years ago. I didn't think of myself as a trendsetter; I just don't like the over-sweet "vanilla" cakes at most weddings and rarely even eat them. Many years ago I had an English boss whose non-English bride made him an authentic English wedding cake -- delicious!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I had a chocolate cake - over 40 years ago. I didn't think of myself as a trendsetter; I just don't like the over-sweet "vanilla" cakes at most weddings and rarely even eat them.

Ah, the memories. In these parts, the groom's cake, which is served at the rehearsal dinner, is traditionally chocolate cake with chocolate icing. That engendered quite the discussion when my parents and I were meeting with the chef to plan the menu for our rehearsal dinner, the gist of which boiled down to:

My mother: The groom's cake has to be chocolate. It’s always a chocolate cake.

Me: But I'm the groom and I don't like chocolate cake.*

We had chocolate cake.

Meanwhile, our wedding cake was more akin to a pound cake than a standard white cake.

* Yeah, I know, I’m weird. Definitely something I could post in the unpopular opinions thread.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:

I'm sure they are, as I like fruit cake.

But I don’t mean a white wedding cake; I mean what on this side of the pond is called “white cake”—a cake made with no egg yolks and with cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. Like this.

[ 21. October 2017, 18:49: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Each layer of our cake was a different flavor-- delightful! Something for everyone. Yet not a bit of candied fruit in sight, thank the Lord.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

I'm sure they are, as I like fruit cake.

But I don’t mean a white wedding cake; I mean what on this side of the pond is called “white cake”—a cake made with no egg yolks and with cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. Like this.

Oh dear Lord can you do nothing right?

That pallid over-sweetened abomination deserves only scorn. Now this is a cake of tradition, substance and indeed, actual flavour. And none of this arsing around with egg whites. Slap the ingredients in the bowl, spin them up, decant into a couple of well-greased tins and we're 25 minutes away from Heaven.

White cake indeed. Ghost cake, more like.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Oh dear Lord can you do nothing right?

That pallid over-sweetened abomination deserves only scorn.

Only from witlings or the ignorant. A good white cake—which, sadly, all too often is not what one encounters at weddings—is divine: light, moist, not particularly sweet, and a perfect vehicle for a good icing and/or filling.

I enjoy eating, and baking, a wide variety of kinds of cakes—most of which can be made well or not so well. But I guess if you think only one kind of cake fits all needs and occasions, or if you can only get one kind of cake right, then Delia Smith’s yellow cake recipe is as serviceable as any and better than many.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

It is not 'yellow' cake. It is the colour of honest-to-god eggs. It is golden, in the way a goddess is. Not like that daywalker pseudofoodstuff you appear to be championing.

As my national food judge mother would say: "Not according to schedule."

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
It is not 'yellow' cake. It is the colour of honest-to-god eggs. It is golden, in the way a goddess is. Not like that daywalker pseudofoodstuff you appear to be championing.

As my national food judge mother would say: "Not according to schedule."

Is that “shedule”? [Biased]

We call it yellow cake, because that’s what it is, including in the picture in the recipe to which you linked. (At least “yellow” is just as accurate for that color as “golden.”). Any huffing and puffing to the contrary isn’t likely to change that or get us to start calling it golden cake.

Most people here also do not call it “sponge.” A sponge is what you clean dishes or the bathroom with. Not an appetizing connection.

As for what I’m “championing,” I’m merely asserting that yellow cake—the most common type of cake here, and feel free to call it golden sponge if doing so prevents an aneurysm—is really good, that white cake can also be really good and is particularly appropriate for some occasions, the fruit cake can also be really good and is particularly appropriate for some occasions, etc., etc., etc. for many other kinds of cake. Not sure why that’s such a startling assertion.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

A good sponge should have its own flavour. It is a thing in its own right.

Your 'white cake' is a vehicle in the same way a rice cake is: a pointless carrier of more interesting comestibles. You may as well ice polystyrene blocks for all that it matters.

Also, 'sweet' is not a flavour.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also, 'sweet' is not a flavour.

Sweet is a characteristic and fits the way most appear to be using it.
And eggs are not honest to any god. They are a compromise between good and evil. Good in what they do for baking, evil when eaten for themselves.
There is a reason they smell of sulpher.

[ 21. October 2017, 22:26: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016