homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » I don't want to go to your wedding (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I don't want to go to your wedding
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really mean that, BTW. My sister lives in France, and one of the pleasures of visiting her is trying yet more of the local vintages (she's down in the bottom-right hand corner, in Aude).

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of spending a year in France. Oh, and here's an exceptionally hellacious wedding. "Bonds was overseeing the wedding at a Chantilly park, while the 35-year-old victim, Tyonne Johns, of the District, was catering it. Afterward, the pair and members of the wedding party got into a verbal argument over chairs while cleaning up. It ended with Bonds stabbing Johns with a three-inch pocket knife." He's been acquitted, however.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only bit that broke through the monotony with a helping of distinct annoyance was in the series “my girlfriends”
For a great moment I thought we were talking about illustrations for the Groom's speech. Now that would have style.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
The only bit that broke through the monotony with a helping of distinct annoyance was in the series “my girlfriends”
For a great moment I thought we were talking about illustrations for the Groom's speech. Now that would have style.
Nah. The groom was a definite side-show to the Bride’s Big Day™. We had dinner a couple of days ago with someone else who was also there and he agreed that in order of visibility, the cast was made up of (1) Bridezilla (2) Bridezilla’s large Southern family and trailing way behind (3) Groom. Groom’s family were made so invisible as to be hardly worth a mention. Essentially there was a groom because Bridezilla couldn’t have a wedding without one.

That said, apparently marrying oneself is now a thing. Why do I suspect most of the people doing it are women?

[ 06. October 2017, 07:58: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

That said, apparently marrying oneself is now a thing. Why do I suspect most of the people doing it are women?

Poor thing couldn't find a frog. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

More men are happy to self-cohabitate WBOC. They don't need a fancy ceremony to self-love. They have that well in hand.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
boom-tish

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm waiting for the Guardian article on it, how it's the coming thing etc.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm preaching at a wedding tomorrow. Should I get LVER to come and "mystery guest" it?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they having a pičce montée? [Snigger]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea: my responsibilities stop at the lectern!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

In that case I shall have to decline just in case. Two of the sweet claggy suckers in the space of a week is more than I can stand.

(Pičce montée is a bit like the French equivalent of turkey at a British Christmas dinner. Everyone insists on having it despite the fact that almost no one actually likes it.)

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am off to a wedding I don't particularly want to go to tomorrow.
I no longer drink, and I have no assurances that there will be dancing at the reception. I cannot even.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
I no longer drink, and I have no assurances that there will be dancing at the reception. I cannot even.

Enjoy the slideshow.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Pičce montée is a bit like the French equivalent of turkey at a British Christmas dinner. Everyone insists on having it despite the fact that almost no one actually likes it.)

I like turkey.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the pičce montée, LVER: a croquembouche can be lovely and despite looking pretty spectacular is really very easy to make.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Enjoy the slideshow.

Is France the only country in which a slideshow of the bride and groom growing up to the theme of The Persuaders is practically mandatory at the reception?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good free-range turkey is very enjoyable, very adaptable to a wide ranges of dishes and cuisines.

As to the croquembouche - very popular here as it's easy to serve, proportions easily variable and makes an acceptable end to a meal.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Enjoy the slideshow.

Is France the only country in which a slideshow of the bride and groom growing up to the theme of The Persuaders is practically mandatory at the reception?
The theme may vary.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

May it please God to stay so.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Enjoy the slideshow.

Is that what Sioni meant? Is that really a thing? I have never seen such a thing. I hope never to see such a thing.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last wedding I went to there were Morris dancers: I don't think the music was the Persuaders...

I do however now have that as an ear worm, which feels pretty hellish.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eerrghh. Not seen that, but I did attend a 'humanist celebration' at which two pretty glass jars of different (rather vibrantly) coloured sand were poured into one.

Beside being a rather eloquent demonstration of entropy, it also struck me as a compact and timely treatise on the futility of compromise; the eurky mix being an outcome no-one really wanted.

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

May it please God to stay so.
Particularly awkward when there's a large age gap so you end up with a photo of a 30 something guy next to a toddler

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Video with Persuaders theme: tick

Pičce montée: tick

But a good time was had by all.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:

In my college days, went to the Southern Baptist wedding of a high school friend. Well, bride's sister was a friend. I was mostly there for drinks and dancing. Mostly dancing.

First sign things were going off the rails: minister sped through "love is patient, love is kind" en route to "wives, submit to your husbands." Slowed waaaaayyyy down there.

Next sign: no dance floor. That's okay, I assume we'll just move some tables aside once the Obligatory Concrete Wedding Cake* is cleared away.

Next next sign: groom's fraternity brothers assemble for a presentation to the bride. "Whenever one of us did something special, we'd give him a bottle of cream soda. So now, Andromache, we'd like to welcome you . . ."
And they all file up with bottles of cream soda. I turn to Sister.
"Cream soda's a euphemism, right?"
"It was a Baptist fraternity. That's cream soda."
" . . . Baptists don't dance, either?"
"Nope."

*And la Vie, I'll trade you you piece montée for an American three-tiered wedding cake. In order to support the weight of the upper tiers, the lower ones have to be sufficiently strong, it has to look Perfect for sitting out during the soft jazz photo montage (and prior setup), the fondant decorations can't show the slightest sign of damage or deterioration during transit, setup, or waiting . . . meaning you get something built more for structural integrity than taste. Dry, tough, and bland interior with rock hard icing. You're supposed to save a tier and "enjoy" it on anniversaries—and it's a sort of cake that doesn't taste any worse after a year or two in the freezer.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have 'Wedding Cakes' like that in Ukland.

Very expensive ŁŁŁ too.

[Projectile]

After a year or two, you can collect various bits together, and build a shed that will survive the onslaughts of cockroaches and/or a nuclear holocaust.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

If it's by Huntley & Palmers, it will indeed still be edible.

Well, the CAKE bit, anyway - not too sure about the icing...

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tradition here is to keep the top tier of the wedding cake for the first christening. Our cake was 5 1/2 years old before our first-born was christened. The icing had to be re-done, but the cake itself was fine. I've eaten older wedding-turned-christening cakes than that.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple I knew saved the top tier of their cake for their First Anniversary. They lived in a small apartment with a tiny refrigerator and a freezer just big enough to hold the tier of cake. So for a year, they could never buy frozen groceries in advance of eating them, nor could they freeze leftovers. The First Anniversary came along -- the top tier had been made of Styrofoam.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keeping tiers in the UK works pretty well because they tend to be fruitcake which keeps better because you feed it with ALCOHOL.

Are the frozen tiers in US cakes maybe sponge?

My Mum was tasked with re-icing a friend's wedding cake (baked by her Gran) for her daughter's christening. It turned out to be booze-less and therefore green and mouldy [Projectile] One mercy dash to the supermarket for a half dozen Dundee cakes and no one was the wiser. [Snigger]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

quote:
"It was a Baptist fraternity. That's cream soda."
" . . . Baptists don't dance, either?"
"Nope."

I once went to a Baptist wedding (or it might have been free evangelical - I forget) where pretty much everyone was a Believer...except the best man.

Come the best man's speech, he starts with a few bland compliments to the bridesmaids, as you do, and then...

quote:
Anyway, a bloke goes into a greengrocers, and behind the counter is this woman with enormous tits.
Cue utter silence, tumbleweed in the aisles, and frantic stifled gasps of manic laughter from those of us around a slightly less up-tight table. I'll give you the rest of the joke, 'cos it's a good one.

quote:
So he says, 'I'd like a pound of tits / I mean a pound of oranges please', and the woman hands him a bag of oranges.

Later that night he's in the pub with a couple of mates. 'A weird thing happened this morning - I was in the greengrocers and I tried to ask for a pound of oranges. But instead, I asked for a pound of tits!' [yes folks. If it were possible, the silence deepens each time the fateful word is uttered].

One of his mates pipes up. 'You know that's what's called a Freudian Slip.'

'What's one of them, then?'

'It's when you say what's really on your mind, instead of what you thought you were going to say'.

At this, the second drinker pricks up his ears.

'Funny that - that happened to me just this morning. I was sitting at breakfast with the missus, and I went to ask her to pass the salt. But instead, I said "I hate yer, yer bitch, you've ruined me life"'.

He kept going, too. What a pro.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was the Best Man.

At a Baptist wedding.

Fortunately, not that one...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Killing me]

Most seemly and edifying.....not!!

IJ

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Well if we're into anecdotes... I was once at a wedding performed by a pastor who was really more of an evangelist.

Guests were greeted at the venue by a giveaway gospel of John. The reading was the story of the woman at the well in John 4, and the pastor took as his text verse 18:

quote:
you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband
The fact that he somehow went on from this to deliver an evangelistic message instead of doing anything remotely related to the occasion was probably a relative mercy, but guests could clearly be seen eyeing up escape routes.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Well if we're into anecdotes... I was once at a wedding performed by a pastor who was really more of an evangelist.

Guests were greeted at the venue by a giveaway gospel of John. The reading was the story of the woman at the well in John 4, and the pastor took as his text verse 18:

quote:
you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband
The fact that he somehow went on from this to deliver an evangelistic message instead of doing anything remotely related to the occasion was probably a relative mercy, but guests could clearly be seen eyeing up escape routes.
There's an excuse for that: he should have cited 1 John 4:18 (ie, the first epistle, not the Gospel) which reads "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not my anecdote but...

Organist friend was asked to play for nuptials in a hospital chapel and was happy to oblige, although found the fact that the chapel was in the basement betwixt the morgue and the boiler room a tad off-putting (vibrations when the boiler kicked in made the candles on the altar shudder).

Anyway, come the happy day this ancient looking cleric appears, leaning heavily on a stick, fiddling with his hearing aids and giving every appearance of being Mr Chips' older brother.

Service starts: bride enters, first hymn; then cleric booms out Man, that is born of a woman, hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. At which point the best man (never was a chap so well-titled) leant over, wrenched Prayer Book from the hands of cleric, swiftly found the Order for the Solemnisation of Matrimony, and handed it back. [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I once went to a Baptist wedding (or it might have been free evangelical - I forget) where pretty much everyone was a Believer...except the best man.

Come the best man's speech, he starts with a few bland compliments to the bridesmaids, as you do, and then...

I'm surprised the groom in question didn't know his best man well enough to think he might tell a 'funny story' of this type ... and warn him against doing so.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not convinced that the average bride, Christian or otherwise, would find this joke hilarious. Still, maybe it gave the couple a tale to tell at boozy dinner parties many years later. OTOH, if the joke turned out to be prophetic, who'd want to remember it?

[ 09. October 2017, 19:01: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re saving tier of wedding cake:

I don't know what the current trends are. But it used to be common for the top tier to be small, and inhabited by standing figures representing the bride and groom. (Some made of sugar or fondant, and some maybe made of plastic.)

That tier would be wrapped up, and kept in the couple's freezer until their first anniversary. Then it would be either completely eaten, or partly eaten and the rest saved for future anniversaries.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a traditional (yummy) fruitcake for the top layer, and pound cake for the part that was consumed at the time. The top layer, being well fortified, thus kept very well.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wedding cake was a sheet cake (chocolate!), so there were no tiers (cake, fruitcake, or Styrofoam) to preserve.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I don't know what the current trends are. But it used to be common for the top tier to be small, and inhabited by standing figures representing the bride and groom. (Some made of sugar or fondant, and some maybe made of plastic.)

I know we had tiers, and I think there were three of them, although I'd have to go and look at the photographs to check. One of the ladies from Mrs. C's church made a custom cake topper to look like us, which we still have. (A different church lady made the cake.)

I don't know whether we saved some of the cake or not - but it certainly didn't go in our freezer because we didn't have one. It's entirely possible we ate it for Christmas.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if we're going to talk about cake - count me in.

Instead of a singular wedding cake, I arranged for my favourite restaurant in the universe to provide my favourite dessert in the universe - a chocolate cheesecake (no longer available!!!). It was such an intense gustatory experience that it felt like the chocolate bypassed the usual absorption methods and went straight through the soft palate and into your brain. I assume that it was equal parts cocoa, cheesecake, and cocaine (perhaps explaining why it is no longer offered).

Note to self: family is overdue for a visit to Victoria.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mum made our wedding cake, my Dad iced it and I made the sugar flowers. We had three cakes directly on top of each other, smallest on top, no pillars - most unusual in 1979 🙂

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Yes, traditionally a white cake (no egg yolks), though I have been to numerous weddings (including my own) where the consistency of the cake was closer to a pound cake than a standard white cake.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father-in-law would have preferred one of these or one of these, but as he got married in the 1950s he was forced to eat cake.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Wow. How glad I am that I'm not likely ever to be married (again).

Trying to choose between PORK PIE and CHEESE.... [Paranoid]

Mmmmm......[drooly smiley]

IJ

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not so much "sponge cake" but "washing up sponge."

I've yet to see a bit of fruitcake in an American cake. Then again, we traditionally think of fruitcake as only for Christmas, obligatory (compare British attitudes on turkey), and booze-free. Think there might be room for improvement.

(There was much rejoicing when one musician friend skipped the cake and did pie and cheesecake on tiers. No structural integrity to maintain! No overengineered cake batter! Hooray!)

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:

Not so much "sponge cake" but "washing up sponge."

I've yet to see a bit of fruitcake in an American cake. Then again, we traditionally think of fruitcake as only for Christmas, obligatory (compare British attitudes on turkey), and booze-free. Think there might be room for improvement.

Americans Do. Not. Like. Fruitcake. With or without the booze, it is disgusting. I'd have to drink a whole lotta booze upfront to get soused enough to eat it. There is a whole genre of jokes about the horrors of fruitcake, and the theory that there is actually only one fruitcake in the world that keeps getting passed around, being regifted from one recipient to another.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016