homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican_Brat [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

- Posted      Profile for Ancilla   Email Ancilla   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Anglican_Brat [Yipee] [Yipee]

Seconded - congrats A_B [Smile]

Might I ask for people's prayers too please - I'm off to BAP on Monday [Help]

(those of you who aren't in the C of E, or went through this under a previous acronym, I mean selection conference [Smile] )

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go well, WH.

Treat BAP like a retreat, but with some serious self examination.

If you feel the need to do something (e.g. scream in the open air, prostrate yourself in the chapel, whatever), just go with it - it might make sense later.

Let the Spirit speak how she will.

[Votive]
3F

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May the Spirit be with you!

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come Friday, I'll have finished my first year of seminary! [Smile] It's been exciting, though more tiring than fun.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats Anglican Brat - now the fun begins ...

Hope you enjoyed your BAP WH - that soudns odd I know - but despite it being my BAP I did enjoy mine!

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishop made it official, I'm now a postulant! [Angel] [Axe murder]

Thank you for your advice and prayers. I will continue to pray for all people of our Holy Church to discover their calling, whether to the ordained priesthood, or deeper engagement with their baptismal vocation.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm being sent to bap. I'll know the date soon, but looks like being sept/october.

I want to scream arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggh and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at the same time. I've been exploring this for a long time, so the thought of a decision being made is very exciting, but the thought of it being made by someone I don't know is terrifying.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
religious kittens
Apprentice
# 9927

- Posted      Profile for religious kittens   Email religious kittens   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just say how much I like the H & A Day adjusted title for this thread! No-one's more scared than me at the thought I'm supposed to be a future leader of the church!
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, be afraid, be very afraid, mmmwwwhhaaaaaaa

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, once upon a time clergy seemed very senior and very important and appeared to know everything. We were in awe of them.

Now, people we knew as little children and even babes in nappies are being made priests and some of them are even being appointed as canons, bishops and other senior ministers. They, of course, cannot possibly know anything and the church is sure to be heading for hell in a handbasket.

I guess it was ever thus.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Took me a while to find the thread! Lol worked it out in thee nd though - I knew I posted on it last night so it couldn't have gone that far!
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

- Posted      Profile for Ancilla   Email Ancilla   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Hope you enjoyed your BAP WH - that soudns odd I know - but despite it being my BAP I did enjoy mine!

Weirdly enough, yes I did enjoy it, thanks [Smile] The group there was great - we all had a laugh together and at the end the panel secretary leading it said we were a particularly noisy group!

But now for the waiting...

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of Presbyterian curiosity...
I get that BAP is a selection conference, but what do the initials stand for?
Ta in advance - trusting that I am predestined to receive an answer from one of you [Biased]

[ 12. May 2011, 16:30: Message edited by: joan knox ]

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishops Advisory Panel.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosts: could this thread's title be edited back to the original please? I mean, I can take a joke, and all that, but now you have all had your fun doing chaos and all, can we have our thread back to normal so it looks rather more supportive than currently.
Thanks in advance....... [Smile]

Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, when I was going to change it back, my mind went blank [no comments necessary!] and I couldn't remember the original title - I hope I've got it right this time.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jengie! I'd worked out the 'B' for 'Bishop' bit but tiny brain was toiling with the other letters.

Out of curiosity what's the process for the different denom's represented by this thread? [indeed, what are the different denom's represented in the thread?]

FWIW, our [as in the Church of Scotland - presbyterian] equivalent to BAP, used to be called 'selection conference' - until apparently it was felt a little un-p.c. [and perhaps somewhat Darwinian...!]
Now we have 'assessment conference' instead, which is after the end of an 8 month placement with a congregation other than your own, towards the end of which is a 'local review' - with the minister of that congregation, someone from Ministries Council, and your Presbytery representative. If you get through the LR you then get to go to assessment conf., and if you succeed, you proceed to training - doing a B.D. and 3 placements, with several essays and 5 conferences kindly given to us all by Ministries Council to add to the fun.... Should you survive, you proceed to a 15 month full-time probation, after which, if deemed okay, you then look for a charge and are ordained into it.

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be more knowledgeable of the URC method due to my dad's field of work.

Stage 1: Approach your minister or elder
Stage 2: go through whatever informal procedures the congregations thinks it should do. You might well be sent to a Enquirers conference and also may have interviews or take services. A wise congregation would set up a discernment group for this stage (it might morph into a support/contact group later). As far as I know no congregations do.
Stage 3: have your name brought before church meeting. Church meeting has to support your candidature before you can go any further.
Stage 4: go through whatever hoops the synod think are necessary almost certainly including an assessed preach
Stage 5: vote from synod supporting your canditature.
Stage 6: Assessment conference
Stage 7: training, this always includes placement
Stage 8: If you complete successfully and you still have support of the denomination (yes I know of cases where that has not happened) then you may look for a pastorate.

You are then a minister but for two years you have a senior minister to guide you.

It used to be synod was the final arbiter of who went to training where, now it is assessment conference. You went to assessment and then synod with the assessment report made its decision. I suspect this was a case of changing what we could alter in the hope that that would fix it rather than fixing what was wrong.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

ahhh, our systems differ in that we do not need to have the support of our minister or congregation to explore the sense of call. In an ideal world, you'd obviously like to have that, but it is not crucial to the overall discernment process, which from go to whoa can take up most of a year. The supervising minister of the congregation you have your enquiry placement on is one of your assessors. For me, what transpired out of that process - which was fantastic - was that I have gained both a wise mentor and friend as I've continued on the way as a student minister.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joan knox:

Out of curiosity what's the process for the different denom's represented by this thread? [indeed, what are the different denom's represented in the thread?]

For the RCC, this is going to vary a lot depending on whether you're going with a religious order or a diocese, and then also vary depending on which order or diocese. Like Joan, there's no sense that the local pastor has to act as a 'gateway.' In some ways, it would be nice if that was a requirement (that's a way of being 'parochial' that would fit our theology well), but it's not how things have turned out.

For my community, here's how we run things in the US. (In different countries, we'd do some of this differently, to fit different cultures and different requirements from the local bishops).

1. First contact. You contact our vocations office. We send you a nice packet, put you on the mailing list for magazines, encourage you to read our vocations blog. We invite you to come for an informal weekend visit at either our graduate or undergraduate seminary, depending on whether or not you'd have a degree by the time you'd be entering.

2. Vocations mentor. After the informal visit, if things look good to continue discerning, we'd assign you a vocations mentor and try to get you connected with a local community if possible. If things keep looking good, you can ask to formally apply. The vocations office are not allowed to say no to anyone who meets basic criteria, but they can suggest that this might not be a good idea.

3. Formal visit. You come to the appropriate seminary (grad or undergrad) for a weekend, after having submitted a large application packet. You have a bunch of interviews, including a psychological screening. One of the interviews is always with one of our lay collaborators. The application packet and interview feedback is reviewed by our applications committee who makes a recommendation to the Provincial. The decision to admit or not rests solely with the Provincial. Applications Committee decisions are secret, but I think the Provincial normally but not always goes along with them.

3a. Old College. If you need more undergraduate studies, you go to our Old College seminary to get your bachelors. There's no tuition, but you pay room and board and get no stipend. Formation and community happen at the OC and Collegians get degrees at either Notre Dame or Holy Cross College.

3b. Candidate Program. Everyone goes through this the year before Novitiate. For people who entered with a degree, it's their first year in seminary; for those who entered straight out of High School, it's their senior year; for people who entered during undergrad, it's decided on a case-by-case basis what's best. Candidates live at Moreau (our major house of formation), take classes at Notre Dame (pre-reqs for the MDiv, normally mainly philo, but depends on candidate's preparation), do a placement at a local parish or in campus ministry, immerse themselves in house life. [There is no tuition or room and board, but there is also no financial support] If discernment leads them that way, they petition for...

4. The novitiate. The novitiate is the first year of membership of the order. [Financially, that means that the novice has no private income or expense; any income or expense is held in common.] It's a year away, on a mountaintop in Colorado. It's a year to come to know God more closely, the community more clearly, and yourself more deeply and from this, discern your vocation and train to live it well. You do one day a week of ministry as a hospital chaplain and half a day in a parish, but the rest of the time is lived in a monastic rhythm of silence, work and prayer. (Plus nightly conferences and occasional workshops). If discernment leads the community and novice in this direction, he petitions for...

5. Temporary profession. [This is the stage I'm in right now]. You make vows of poverty [forsake individual ownership to hold all possessions in common], celibate chastity [forsake exclusive relationships to hold brotherhood in common], and obedience [forsake individual decision making to make decisions in common]. We make these vows for one year at a time. During this year, you return to Moreau, but now as a member of the community. We study for the MDiv at Notre Dame, which involves coursework plus ministerial placements. You also have various roles in the house during the semester and summer assignments. This is the first stage when there's a presumption (though no obligation on either side) that'll you continue all the way to...

6. Final Vows. Once you profess final vows (same vows, but forever, not just a year), initial formation is over. The day after professing final vows, you are ordained deacon and serve in a parish or campus ministry until ordination as a priest about nine months later. Assignments then continue. Your final assignment (barring accidents) is: reside Holy Cross House (our nursing facility); ministry of prayer.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laxton's Superba:
Hosts: could this thread's title be edited back to the original please?

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I hope I've got it right this time.

boo [Frown]

You're no fun...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So here's the thing.

I'm an apostate [Smile] as I gleefully tell a lot of people and explain the difference when they want to know. I left Orthodoxy nearly five years ago due to a combination of doubt, a really Dona-tastic controvesy in my diocese and a lot of confusion over my sexuality. None of these things are really resolved but I've always had this sense that I am running away from more than that.

I have this really powerful sense that something in my life is not right. That I am not doing what it is I am supposed to be doing and what I am supposed to be doing is living in a religious community. I had a (very) bad experience living in an Orthodox convent for a while but I think that was a bad time for me as it was abroad and at a time when I had huge huge doubts and confusion (just before I left the church).

But basically I don't want to believe in God and a calling and living my life according to this massive set of rules and expectations while at the same time I really, really do. The tension in this set me running. And I am still running, just about as fast as my feet can carry me. I've spent four years now training to be a nurse because I know I want to spend my life trying to help people in the middle of thier suffering. But even that doesn't feel like it's enough.

I'm not a contemplative. I'm a doer. I can't live my life locked away from the world I want to help it. And I have no idea how to go about reintegrating the church back into my life or which church to even go to. Or outside of that if there's even an order of monastics that would let me use the talents and skills I have to help people outside.

Anyway. That's my incoherant splurge. I don't have anyone who will take me seriously when I say I want to be a nun (or rather that I think I should be) maybe I should just give it all up as a bad job.

Answers on a postcard.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Jengie indicated, the URC process changed slightly in the last few years.
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Stage 1: Approach your minister or elder
Stage 2: go through whatever informal procedures the congregations thinks it should do.

Stage 3: Meet the Synod moderator and be interviewed about your sense of call. If (s)he is convinced that you are ready, you get given the various forms which need to be completed. The synod may think that various additional steps would be helpful, such as a placement within a different congregation. Candidates without certain qualifications may be expected to undertake the lay training programme TLS on the university assessment track.

Stage 4: have your name brought before church meeting. Church meeting has to support your candidature before you can go any further.

Stage 5: interview with a panel from local churches other than your own. An assessed service must also happen at this point.

Stage 6: interview with a panel convened by the synod. This must support your candidacy, or the process will halt.

Stage 7: National Assessment conference - which both affirms, or not, that there is a call and makes a firm recommendation about appropriate training.
quote:

Stage 8: training, this always includes placement
Stage 9: If you complete successfully and you still have support of the denomination (yes I know of cases where that has not happened) then you may look for a pastorate.

New ministers have a pastoral support person and are expected to participate in ongoing ministerial education, which is particularly developed for new ministers, during their first three years in post.

'frin

[ 23. May 2011, 20:29: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macrina, I'm not sure I can be much help to you except to say that I know of some nuns who live in a communal house in a city and on of whom works as a teacher. I met her some years ago, and cannot remember the order, except I think they were anglican. Probably. Maybe.

But anyway, what I wanted to say was that it is far from impossible that you could find an order who would appreciate your gifts in terms of nursing.

If you are unsure where you should return to church if and when you decide to do so, why not spend some time sitting in the pews of a few different churches and see if anywhere feels like home. It's completely unscientific, but sometimes it works. And if it doesn't become clear at that point, it might give you some pointers on what you do and don't want from church at this point. Take things slowly. Someone once told me if the call is real it won't go away, and that has proved true. Take you time and deal gently with yourself.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macrina, what you're describing is apostolic religious life which, in Catholicism, developed out of vocations just like the one you seem to be experiencing to live religious life in community whilst working "in the world." There are many such communities out there, for men and for women. In fact, I'm a member of one (men's that is).

You mention that you're still working on going back to church. I think this is where your energy needs to be focussed right now. Responding to a call to religious life must flow from an authentic living of your baptismal apostolate, which has to involve membership and participation in a local community. Seek that and if the call to religious life still seems strong when you've fallen in love with a parish, carrying on seeking!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

You mention that you're still working on going back to church. I think this is where your energy needs to be focussed right now. Responding to a call to religious life must flow from an authentic living of your baptismal apostolate, which has to involve membership and participation in a local community. Seek that and if the call to religious life still seems strong when you've fallen in love with a parish, carrying on seeking!

I agree with Hart here.

Except it doesn't have to be a parish.

Look at religious orders in your area perhaps and attend services....?

[ 25. May 2011, 12:54: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
whiterobe
Apprentice
# 15020

- Posted      Profile for whiterobe   Email whiterobe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
For those who are in the official "discernment process", and for those who hope (or fear) the calling of God to some form of ministry (whether or not it may lead to ordination).

Campbellite,
your most unworthy servant

--------------------
"I used to have a bad memory; but I can't remember when!"

Posts: 8 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
whiterobe
Apprentice
# 15020

- Posted      Profile for whiterobe   Email whiterobe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
For those who are in the official "discernment process", and for those who hope (or fear) the calling of God to some form of ministry (whether or not it may lead to ordination).

Campbellite,
your most unworthy servant

[Hot and Hormonal] After a long time in the bilges I am seeing the Bishop in late Jul 11. Prayers needed pse

--------------------
"I used to have a bad memory; but I can't remember when!"

Posts: 8 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
whiterobe
quote:
After a long time in the bilges I am seeing the Bishop in late Jul 11. Prayers needed pse
Does this mean you are seeing the bishop with a view to being sponsored for a BAP?

[Votive] and enjoy the experience; our bishop (different diocese) does a very nice prayer and blessing at the end of the interview!

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck whiterobe, I love your description of being in the bilges.

I am still down there too, have seen DDO a couple of times and written him an essay on the church in the 21st century. Things don't seem to be progressing very fast. But maybe that is for the best?

Prayers for all on the discernment road.

Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

I've got my bap date, a load of scary forms to fill in and an appointment with the bishop to discuss the decision afterwards. It all suddenly feels very very real.
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for all on here. I'm enjoying my curacy enormously, and starting to get excited that I shall be ordained priest on Saturday the 2nd July, and say my first mass on Sunday 3rd. All prayers gratefully appreciated.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying for you and all the others being ordained this Petertide. It was great to chat againon Friday
[Smile] [Yipee] [Votive]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
It all suddenly feels very very real.
The 'it' for me is ditching the day job and starting theological college in September - it is scarily real!

So, I am looking for advice here. What three things will help me cope with the transition and, ideally, help me enjoy the experience?

--------------------

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macrina.

Your post is so jammed full of hope/possibility/ opportunity and new starts that i truly do not know where to start....

Enough to say that ...maybe... some of us will be praying for you, as you start to put the jigsaw peices together? I for one am going to be watching very eagerly as your life unfolds.

It's all a question of With Whom....Where...and When. The how and the why of it all will ( i think) come about quite naturally as you seek and wait and pray.

I am so pleased that you posted here.
[Smile]

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It all suddenly feels very very real.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'it' for me is ditching the day job and starting theological college in September - it is scarily real!

So, I am looking for advice here. What three things will help me cope with the transition and, ideally, help me enjoy the experience?

-
This time last year I was where you are now Aig.
Only to me it didn't seem real until the removal vans had been and taken away all our belongings- most of them into storage. You got me thinking about what three things helped me to make the transition.
1. A very supportive spouse who though he hasn't enjoyed it himself has been a rock to me throughout.
2. Knowing a few people at least by internet if not in person so they seemed like friends as soon as we arrived.
3. Knowing that this was what I had felt called to so for so long.
I must say I have loved all my first year here at college and am looking forward to my second year. It has been a joy to worhsip daily with others, to learn more about serving God and to feel God so close to me throughout the experience.
Now just waiting for the curacy news to start to filter through! [Help]

--------------------

Cenobite
Shipmate
# 14853

- Posted      Profile for Cenobite   Email Cenobite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aig:

I don't know which college you're going to, but as someone about to leave, my three tips would be:

1) Involve yourself in the life of the community in a way which suits your personality and gifts - the friendships you make at college will sustain you throughout your future ministry.

2) At the same time, make sure that you get yourself out of the college regularly - you need space to breathe!

3) Make the most of this opportunity to have new experiences and learn new things - especially look for variety in your placements - I did, and it has resulted in both a deepening of my relationship with God and a broadening of my spirituality.

[Votive] for you in this exciting new step in your journey!

--------------------
Cenobite: means "Common Life"; cenobites lived in community, serving one another and the rest of humanity.

Posts: 109 | From: On a journey of discovery. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For folk BAP-ing..................
[Votive] [Votive]

aig
Shipmate
# 429

Thanks Jante and Cenobite:

The supportive husband is ( I think) there - I'm doing the weekly boarding thing which also ticks the box for getting away!
I don't know any one either at college or going to college, but I am not too concerned about that - I like meeting new people.

I suppose my real question is: if it is so simple, why are people traumatised by the transition?

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Hi Aig
Sounds like you are sorted. Which college are you going to? Just in case its this one and I can say hello in person [Yipee]
Jante

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You ask "why are people traumatised" by the situation of going away to college?

I suspect that it has to do with the fact of leaving home and not knowing what the future will look like, in any way, or shape, or form. Offhand, I cant think of anything else which is comparable. Most of us have the security of a home base from which we can go out and to which we return, a place we have chosen to live, and doing a "job" or other activity which we have generally chosen. We do a days work, and go home. Church is an activity which while being extremely important, doesn't necessarily fill our whole horizon. We have friends, and hobbies...

When we go to theological college everything is up in the air. We may be living in a place not completely of our choosing, the things we are asked to do may be difficult (probably should be difficult) and will stretch us. We don't know where we will be in 2 or 3 years time, even geographically. Partners may be ambivalent about the whole thing.

And, in addition, for a number of us there is that little worry at the back of our minds..."maybe they have made a mistake...maybe God has made a mistake....maybe I have heard God wrong and shouldnt be even thinking about ordination."

Going to theological college while wonderful and scary and breathtaking and all those other things, can feel like a bereavement, as we come to terms with the loss of our old way of life and of other dreams of ordinations, and have to face the reality of the possibility that it will happen.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

Sorry Jante - it is not the same college.

St Everid - I'm sure you are right to describe the trauma in terms of displacement, loss and bereavement. I can relate to this; I and lots of colleagues, have just been moved from our lovely, purpose built children's centre and placed in a converted gym, in a Napoleonic fort, on top of a hill. Panoramic views of Portsmouth harbour and the Solent have not made up for the sense of being a displaced person.
However the fort is quite cool - I think the submarine outside the window and the tank at the entrance set the tone nicely..........

Will theological college be like this?

--------------------

aig
Shipmate
# 429

That should be 'St Everild' obviously...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aig:
...I think the submarine outside the window and the tank at the entrance set the tone nicely...

Onward Christian Soldiers or Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a mediocre and/or ill chosen theological college can result in a dreadful letdown, St Everild.

Such places do sadly exist and have put many people off or warped and twisted them terribly.

It's a bit like joining any institution. Some are good and nurture people well. Others can be quite destructive. Others just wet and ineffectual.

I have a dread of dioceses, such as my own, where there is really only one choice of college for potential ordinands to attend. I think the system in England, where you have a wide and genuine choice, far preferrable.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to vicar school this autumn. There isn't a tank at mine. This is SO NOT FAIR!!!
I'm OK with there not being a submarine either. It's not next to the river. I'm very reasonable like that.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis:
Prayers for all on here. I'm enjoying my curacy enormously, and starting to get excited that I shall be ordained priest on Saturday the 2nd July, and say my first mass on Sunday 3rd. All prayers gratefully appreciated.

I'm spending too long on Facebook. I was looking for the 'Like' button!
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blimey, it's been an age since I posted on this thread (well...the one before this to be accurate)though I have been following all your thoughts and wanderings from a distance!

Just want to say all the best to those who will be deaconed/priested soon, and those who'll be starting (or continuing) college. Hang in there, however scared you are!

I'm still on my own wandering. I wanted to leave the church after I was turned down but I didn't. Now I actually work for the church and I love my job, and I love teaching but...

(I don't know if this fits on a thread mainly about ordination, if not then I apologise.)

I'm looking at the possibility of becoming a Sister. My life would be a lot to let go of but, as I said about another vocational path a long while ago, we'll see.

I hope there are more young women (I'm 29) out there considering this path too. Hey, get in touch!!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016