homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations and good luck, Lucia! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news, Lucia!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A big [Yipee] for Lucia!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently in a hotel relaxing with a beer and dinner, as ready as I can be for an interview in the morning.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, hope it goes well!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Alan! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fingers crossed!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mutter mutter. Turned down for a few now, some adfter shortlisting ... and pulled out of one I would have loved but couldn't fit in with family circumstances. Mutter mutter. It's going to be a long haul.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

{{Zappa}} [Votive]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Mutter mutter. Turned down for a few now, some after shortlisting ... and pulled out of one I would have loved but couldn't fit in with family circumstances. Mutter mutter. It's going to be a long haul.

I assume that Clarence's other half has given you the info on the UCA.
[Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, here i am again.

I do Have employment; it's in effect flexi time....so can work when i want to and not when i don't.

But it is getting harder and harder to balance my health and the demands of my work. Today is the start of my fifth week off work and i see my gp this week to see where i go from here on out.

Qs:
* How easy is it to start something Totally different in one's late fifties?

* Does anyone here know of folk who have made this change?

* And at what point do people stop and say that our health is more important than the money?

Clarification, whilst the money would be extremely useful (and then some), we are not in the position of being homeless or broke if i didn't work. Just skint.

Cheers

[ 06. March 2017, 17:25: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If your work is that flexible, could you cut down your hours to just enough to make a financial difference, but not enough to harm your health?

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ideally yes...

In practice, there is a minimum number of days per week,that i have to work.
+
A maximum amount of weeks allowed off sick, before regulations kick in. i.e. i have to reapply ...with all the paperwork and finances that involves.

I've had a good run of over six months but an enduring health hassles has just bitten me on the bum.....ending in four weeks off (and counting). Anytime soon i'm going to have to re-apply.

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

so
do i stay with what i know.....am good at....and enjoy...but am knackered by
or
do i risk starting agin somewhere/ somehow?

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a longish wait (for reasons I won't go into here) I am finally due to start my new job on Monday! First time to work in my profession for over 10 years! Feeling a bit nervous, I hope I can fulfill the confidence they have in me being able to quickly get back up to speed with the work!

Also my husband has just had confirmation that he will start his new permanent job with a large charity on the Monday after. It will be great for him to no longer be on temporary contracts not knowing what is happening from one month to the next and to be working for an organisation whose work he finds inspiring and wants to be a part of.

So all change in our household! It feels like an important next step in seeing what the shape of our life will look like now that we are living back in the UK permanently.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats to you both, Lucia.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to both of you, Lucia, that's great news!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Lucia [Votive] [Yipee]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Lucia and Mr. Lucia! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to you both Lucia. May you settle in easily and quickly.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope the first day went well Lucia, and that your husband enjoys his job when he starts next week.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your good wishes! Had induction sessions all day yesterday with lots of other new employees. Today I spent my first day in my department, which I enjoyed. Mainly shadowing other people and learning how systems work at this stage. Colleagues seem friendly and the travel to and from work was better than I expected. So, so far so good!

[ 28. March 2017, 19:35: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking in!

I'm job hunting ... hate my role which has expanded from PA to "Office Manager" which includes HR and legal - and given that I hate bureaucracy and political correctness, it is somewhat bizarre. But I want to be a PA again - straight forwards. I also want to be closer to home.

Well, I've been looking for a while and hope to nail something soon. I'm in the fortunate position of being in role whilst looking!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's always easier to get a job when you're already in one, isn't it?

Best of luck, and happy hunting! [Smile]

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope so. I've actually been looking for 6 months. Probably not hard enough tho.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been out of the search for a while, but applied to a post recently, and got an immediate call back from the recruiter. I suspect that I am a strong candidate for the job. The main problem is that the job is 40 mintues one way from my house, deep in the suburbs, down a major highway with no transportation options.

Rolling with it for now, but that's a biggie, and I'm already a little sick thinking about the drive. Maybe they won't offer a major pay increase and I can turn them down? Ugh, after all this work, I feel like I owe it to my family to take an offer if it puts us on better footing, but I don't know about adding that much driving to my day, and the fact that it would mean an hour and a half less a day with my daughter.

[Frown]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If the pay increase were enough, would it be worth your while to move closer to where the job is?

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's kind of what we are looking at, but it would be a hard move to make, given that we love our neighborhood and I really love the church I attend, and especially singing in the choir, which is sort of my friend group. We have looked at some homes in the area, and you can live in the woods in the foothills, which would be nice.

Interview on Friday. We'll see what happens.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Despite my initial hesitation, I'm getting up for this interview. Shirt pressed, suit steamed, shoes polished, questions prepped. 1:00 my time, if you can spare a thought.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

[Votive]
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's two hours ago - if I have it right. I hope it went well for you Og.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Thanks everyone.

I kind of have the sense that it didn't go so well- I think they were expecting that I would be coming with a larger book of business than I can offer, which is a fair concern, although it usually gets a little more attention in an advertisement. But we will see- I'm still sending a thank you note. I'm expecting to hear back next week.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are Thank You notes expected, or common, in the US?

[Votive] Og. I think we are always harder and more judgemental on ourselves for interviews than what actually occurred. Too easy to ovethink that reaction or have that perfect answer 30 mins after the interview.

---

May I use this thread to ask a question about a role change? If not, ignore the below and my apologies. I realise I am lucky in having a job currently, but am curious about a change.

I have a data analyst job. My manager is leaving [Waterworks] , and came up and told me out of the blue, "if I want it", to consider applying for his job. No guarantee of course. I have no management experience.

I've just turned 4-0. And being a rainy Saturday I'm inside thinking about the future and such.

Have any of you made the leap up to management? Was it a strong desire to lead/manage, or is it all part of career progression? Were there any unexpected hurdles?

Is it easier to get jobs post-40 in management than in more technical roles, where you are competing against young whipper-snappers?

I still enjoy what I do, and I could probably hang on to some of the technical analyses. But managing people, while having an appeal, is an unknown and I'm not sure how I'd go.

Thanks.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, I've just told my employers that I hate being a manager and when my job is advertised they need to advertise it widely rather than internally as I won't apply for it - and they need to do this now, so my replacement can be in place for September. Anyone wanting to change education jobs has to hand their notice in by the end of May if they want to leave in July to start a new job in September. Fortunately the big white chief, when told, said he knew I'd been saying this for two years and was more resigned than anything else.

Managing people is a different ball game entirely from doing a job. People bring a lot of baggage to their jobs and roles and they don't always recognise it themselves. It takes a lot of time to manage people effectively and a certain mindset, which I don't have and know I don't have. There is also an assumption in workplaces that if you can do the job you can manage others doing it, but that misses all the other stuff that goes with management: working with people, supervision meetings, agreement of deadlines, interviewing replacement staff (and shortlisting and all the rest), staff meetings, delegation of work.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I have had it drilled into me that a hand-written thank you note should always be sent a few hours after an interview or networking meeting. Yes, it sounds completely archaic and a bit forced, but it's in every American university's career service office's handbook.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never received a thank-you note for an interview. Been an employer for ~30 years. One of the 'soft skill' things I do note is whether an applicant has paid attention. So I don't mind an email or call to answer a question which wasn't answered well or fully in interview. That is more impressive, but that's just me.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

I sent a thank you email after I didn't get a job. I had ballsed up the interview and was embarrassed and so noted that. I also received very constructive feedback where i had not performed in the interview. The thank you note led to an offer of temporary work.

Nothing happening in this corner of the universe with regards job hunting. I continue to be limply grateful for the current role.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am applying in the same week for a job as a barman and a job as a lecturer. Go figure.

The point in common though is that I'm terrified either way.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a year since my husband and I returned to the UK after working with the Anglican church in Kenya. I was able to return to supply teaching at my old school but then life intervened with our very poorly newborn grandson and my very elderly mother.
So funds have been in short supply in recent months.
After a year of applying for jobs and not getting an interview, my husband has been called for interview tomorrow for a part time admin job in our diocese here.
He really wants the job and we really need him to get it as I remain limited in how much supply teaching I can do with the other commitments we have.
So here's hoping!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Zappa and MrsBeaky [Votive] [Votive]
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just saw something funny on The Book of Face:

Interviewer: 'Do tell us a little bit about yourself'
Interviewee: 'I'd rather not, I really need this job!'

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, happily no longer undertaking paid work outside the home [Biased]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Prayers ascending, Zappa and Mr. Beaky. [Votive]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear at some point I may have to face management - being in my mid-40s I was very lucky to get the technical job I am in now, but sooner or later I will have to move to something that pays more of the mortgage off.

My very limited experience is that it's fine with one other person as you can form a partnership, but beyond that it's a case of stopping any shit falling by stabding under it. Lots of crap and no credit, which doesn't endear it to me.

Luckily no-one has suggested teaching to me recently, so I've not had to dismember them and hide the remains.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] The Intrepid Mrs S.

[Votive] Zappa and MrsBeaky [Votive]

Thanks for the comments on management. Helpful and wise words. Watching my boss deal with various things this week has cemented in my mind it's not a move I feel I want to make as yet. Feeling much relieved at the decision. Had a talk to him and it went well -- he understands where I am currently. Thanks again.

[ 26. April 2017, 08:34: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

As anticipated, no offer extended.

It's a bit frustrating to have blown an interview for a job that I was pretty qualified for on paper, but it was a really valuable experience. If I leave my firm, I would far prefer government work over private practice elsewhere, and I have learned that my resume and the present set-up of my firm really push me towards government employment as well. So I'll keep looking in that direction, and in the meantime think more about building client relationships and sources that I could bring with me if the right position opens up.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Og [Votive]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016