homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chive [Yipee]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, good news in vast excess at the mo. Long may it be so!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, chive, that's brilliant news!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations and best wishes, Chive! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I applied for a job at the start of the summer, and got a "sorry, but ..." reply. They have just advertised another position that looks identical. Is it worth applying again? And, not having had any feedback on the previous application (and, though I've met a few people at that department I don't really know anyone to ask for feedback), do I put in an identical application (excepting a couple of additional papers added to my CV) or take a guess at where I was weak last time round?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new job is turning into a nightmare and making me so unhappy and depressed - had not felt like this for many years!

Nothing wrong with the job as such but I just don't have the skills and knowledge to do it and feeling incompetent is awful. I have been trying to learn stuff but structure and opportunities are lacking - I am trying but feeling more demotivated by the day. There are also practical issues around the job being much more mobile than expected etc but those can be worked around.

I thought this would be a chance to flourish and find myself struggling not to cry, so the reality is hard to accept. Not sure what to do...

Thank you for listening and sorry about all the negativity.

Congrats to Chive and Mousethief though!

Posts: 127 | From: Cherry Tree Lane | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would apply, Alan. You do not know why they didn't bite the first time, nor what happened to the person they did select. She might've moved to France, or gotten a better offer, or joined a nunnery -- nothing to do with the actual job. Also, persistence does pay off, if they notice. I have a niece who applied for an internship, and they rejected her. She applied again (it was an elaborate process) and they were impressed that she was interested enough to keep at it. So she got the internship, did well, and is now a permanent hire.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan and Lia [Votive]
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there is no putting it off any longer. I need to start making moves back towards the world of employment!
This is a somewhat scary prospect as I have not had a 'formal' job for ten years while we have been living overseas. It's been great to be around home and not to have to juggle work and family responsibilities while our kids were young. However the cost of living in the UK is such that staying home is no longer an option! Both husband and I are looking for work as our current funding will finish by the end of October at the latest. So two job hunters in the house at the same time - could be interesting!

I'm hoping to return to my profession as an optometrist, but after ten years away I feel very rusty and would not feel confident to apply for a job (or see patients for that matter!). On the plus side I have done all my continuing education over the years and am still registered with my professional body so there are no official hoops to jump through to return to work. Surprisingly for a profession that has a lot of women practitioners there are no 'return to work' courses available, even though women are more likely to take a career break at some point. So I'm going to start by writing to local practices to see if someone would allow me to come in and observe and maybe do a bit of work with supervision and mentoring to get me back into the swing of things.

Although I actually quite like the idea of working again it's also quite a daunting prospect after all this time!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I applied for a job at the start of the summer, and got a "sorry, but ..." reply. They have just advertised another position that looks identical. Is it worth applying again? And, not having had any feedback on the previous application (and, though I've met a few people at that department I don't really know anyone to ask for feedback), do I put in an identical application (excepting a couple of additional papers added to my CV) or take a guess at where I was weak last time round?

You could also completely shock them (and bring yourself to notice) by enclosing a cover letter politely asking if they see any areas of weakness they think you could improve. Or ask one of your casual meetees if they would do you the favor of recommending a person you could ask, since people tend to like doing easy favors, and then you could say "X gave me your name."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lia, sorry to hear things aren't working out; is there any kind of occupational support system you could use to ask for advice (or even a sympathetic colleague/line-manager/whatever)? There's nothing worse than feeling that you're out of your depth, but it may be just taking you a little longer than you thought to get used to the new place - environment, colleagues and the whole situation.

[Votive] that things get better very soon.

Lucia, what you're planning sounds very sensible - start with small steps and take things as they come. Best of luck! [Smile]

eta: For myself, I've just submitted an on-line application for a job at a local university which looks as if it could have been made for me - it looks very similar to what I did for 15 years when we lived in Belfast, and is only about 10 minutes away from the future Château Piglet.

Wish me luck! [Smile]

[ 14. September 2016, 00:21: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how much I believe in luck but I certainly send you every good wish.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best with the job application, Piglet. That sounds ideal, anything with a minimum commute is good in my book.
Lia, I was going to suggest what Piglet has. Is there any sympathetic management you can talk to?

AlanC,It sounds worth applying again. Did you get any hints at all as to why they rejected your last appreciation, so you can tweak the new one?
I do two days a week and retire in five weeks time. In theory I know what I should be doing with that time, but IT infrastructure has just been updated and hasn't settled down yet, so at the moment I'm struggling. I've arranged a meeting with senior management for later today which I hope will give me a way forward, otherwise it's going to be a very dull five weeks.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucia:

You have been wise to have kept up with the professional registration and continuing education, despite the expense that I'm sure that entailed. It should make it much easier for a practice to take you on as a part-timer/ observer/ casual/ whatever.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done chive! Lia - I third Piglet's suggestion. If you have any colleagues who are nice people, they may be the best starting point.

Best of luck to Alan, Lucia, and Piglet. [Votive]

Over here, well the funding came through, all of our team got made permanent, and the management are seeing if they can fund another post in the team! [Yipee] I'm enjoying it whilst it lasts - the problem with being public sector is knowing that central government might just slice a chunk off the budget unexpectedly.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excellent news, CK - long may your permanence last (if that makes sense, which it sort of doesn't ...) [Yipee]

[ 16. September 2016, 20:27: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Excellent CK [Yipee]
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had some good fortune! In my quest to prepare to re-enter the optometry profession I had posted a thread about tips and advice for returning to work on an optometry forum that I look at (a bit like SoF but to discuss optometry!). Someone noticed my location and got in contact saying they have a practice in the same county and maybe they could help me with some discussion and practice sessions to help me find my feet again. Turns out their practice is just up the road from where I live. Went in today and met the optometrist who was really helpful, it's a lovely practice with modern equipment. Just the sort of place I would love to work! At this stage it's not a job but she is very happy to help me and is planning to open a new practice in the new year so might well be looking for the help of another optometrist.

I have now got an arrangement to go in next Tuesday morning to get familiar with the equipment, watch some clinics and have a practice on some of the staff! This is just the kind of help that I need. Feels like an answer to prayer!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news, Lucia!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, Lucia! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful news. How kind of her.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant news! All the best with that.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Excellent Lucia [Votive]
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Husband has an interview for a job tomorrow that he really likes the look of! But they have told him that there is another strong candidate who has already been called for a second interview... Oh well, it's all good interview practice whatever happens.
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one I wasn't offered after the interview.

Ah, well.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Another one I wasn't offered after the interview.

Ah, well.

[Frown] [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear that, St. E. - better luck next time. [Frown]

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Husband didn't get the job he interviewed for, however the agency that was advertising it have found him a temporary 3 month job that he starts on Monday. At least it will be some money coming in, a foot in the door to UK employment and hopefully something good to add to his CV.
Might be a bit of a shock being back at a desk working full time after nearly 5 months away from it!

[ 06. October 2016, 18:24: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear he didn't get the one he wanted, but as you say, getting a foot in the door (however temporarily) is always a good thing.

I reckon he should apply for as many jobs as he can while he's working - it's always easier to get a job when you have one, and his new employers can't object to that when the job he's in is temporary.

Hope it goes well for him on Monday. [Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A lady in the congregation heard that I was looking for secretarial work, and asked for my CV, which I sent to her, and I'm going to see her about a possible job at the local hospice.

I hope I have the right sort of "empathy" for a job like that; although it may not entail any contact with patients, I suspect it'll involve contact with their (presumably very stressed-out) families, which is something I have no experience of at all.

Wish me luck! [Smile]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've put out feelers for two truck driving jobs. I love driving (as long as the gear box is manual).

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

With some trucks there are loads of gears!

Great fun!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangely Zappa, that thought flitted through my mind for you earlier today. I think I was remebering the Wankydilla fire truck.

BIL used to drive the enormous truck a prominent nursery used here. Trips all over the place. At the bottom of the mountain leading out of Lithgow to Kurrajong road, he misjudged how steep it was. Got some way up, around some curves and had to stop. He backed the truck down around the curves for a couple of kms and started all over.

I have driven tractors and equipment but not trucks except a small 2 tonne Dyna. Am with you all the way on driving manual vehicles. I do not like automatics.

[ 12. October 2016, 05:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suspect you probably shouldn't watch the episode of Top Gear when they were driving lorries - they had all sorts of misadventures (but they would, wouldn't they?).

My "interview" (although it was really more of a chat) was very interesting - I think the job would suit me rather well (and it turns out there's no patient contact at all, and probably very little with their families either - that's all dealt with in the clinical department).

I'm trying very hard not to get excited.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Piglet [Votive]

[ 12. October 2016, 21:54: Message edited by: Doone ]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, I hope you hear good news about the possible job soon.
I retire next week and am dithering about whether to apply for Christmas jobs or not. I filled in half of the forms for a department store, but I really don't want to have to detail forty plus years of work just for a temp job, so I gave up on that. Maybe next year.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, both - I understand they've got another applicant* to interview on Friday, so I won't hear until then.

As for your retirement, I probably wouldn't even think about looking for a new job until at least after Christmas - just enjoy the freedom of not having to get up at x o'clock in the morning, and being able to do just as you please for a while.

Health to enjoy it! [Smile]

* With my luck, he/she will probably have an MBA, a PhD in office management and about 20 years' experience of every computer program known to man. [Roll Eyes]

[ 13. October 2016, 17:43: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I didn't get it. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Sorry Piglet [Frown] [Votive]
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sigh) [Frown]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I've been in a temporary post for two months of a four month contract. In a job I've loved but knowing that after Christmas I would be handing over to the new employee. This week had serious transition meetings, and some issues came up, meaning that either the new permanent employee has decided not to take up the position, or the employer has decided not to employ them. For obvious confidentiality reasons I don't know the full reasons relating to it, and I can't say any more than that about the post in question, other than that about 10 hours after whichever way around the discussion about them not coming occurred... I was offered the job permanently. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] No more job applications, and I love my job and did NOT want to leave it!
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news for you, Marsman. Good news is sometimes scarce on this thread, so thank you for posting and best wishes for you for the future.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Marsman! There are few things in life better than a job you really love.

Best of luck! [Smile]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Marsman [Yipee]
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations TJ!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Feeling a bit despondent about my job prospects today... [Frown]
I've done a bit of intermittent work experience to try and get back into my professional work but really I need regular sessions, ideally with someone around who I can ask for advice when necessary.
I had a conversation with an employment agency today so I now need to finish writing up my CV and send it to them. But I don't really feel confident that I can get on with the job on my own yet so not sure anyone is going to want to employ me. To be honest I find the responsibility of my profession a bit stressful, worrying about getting something significant wrong. I even wondered if I should think of doing something else! But it would be a pity to give up without giving it a good go again.
Problem is, financially I really need to find some paid employment sooner rather than later...

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Young Man has a Very Important Interview next week....

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Best of luck to Young Man! [Smile]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, the Young Man failed on the maths test - but did well in other areas, so he will try again.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016