homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Logic. You can't beat it.

Not even with a Louisville Slugger.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I expect the climate change deniers will claim that this shows that only in places where there is a majority not denying climate change, will it actually get warmer.

How can you explain that solid red Arizona is getting hotter?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
How can you explain that solid red Arizona is getting hotter?

The Almighty making a point? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WooHoo! It's a little after noon, and the temperature is only 67 degrees!!! We're promised tomorrow will be even cooler, then another cool front is coming down later in the week!

Thank you, all you Northerners, for sharing the cool, dryer air! [Yipee]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our 100º days have ended, and tomorrow is supposed to be the last day that we go over 90º!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
WooHoo! It's a little after noon, and the temperature is only 67 degrees ...

That's about what it was here today as well: very warm for these parts in late October!

Mind you, it was also absolutely p*ssing with rain, which my gardening friends say is a Good Thing. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A week before Halloween, and it is warm enough to cycle in shorts and sandals.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blame The Great Debaser* - he is obviously in league with Satan.

In any case, global warming is clearly Fake News put about by the dastardly Chinese, China being a large country surrounded entirely by a small ocean. Somewhere not the Atlantic.

(*i.e. your 'president').

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
(*i.e. your 'president').

IJ

Earlier today I heard him called The Great Pumpkin. The GP was a big disappointment to Linus, never showing up in the pumpkin patch with the expected gifts. I like the comparison.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, poor Linus - even though he always waited for the GP in the sincerest pumpkin patch he could find.

Such unquestioning faith....

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got maps, etc for my driving trip from Ottawa, Ontario to Phoenix, AZ. Leaving in two weeks. [Yipee]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Goodness, Sharkshooter, that's quite a trip!

Safe travels! [Smile]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's good to do that before the winter sets in -- it's no fun driving in a blizz. If you need crash space near Washington DC pm me.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It's good to do that before the winter sets in -- it's no fun driving in a blizz. If you need crash space near Washington DC pm me.

Thanks, but not going near DC this time. If I did, I'd stay at my wife's place. [Smile]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Goodness, Sharkshooter, that's quite a trip!

Safe travels! [Smile]

Thanks. Won't be back to the Great White North until April. i.e. after the snow is gone!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Got maps, etc for my driving trip from Ottawa, Ontario to Phoenix, AZ. Leaving in two weeks. [Yipee]

When do you plan to arrive in Phoenix? We'll have to plan a Shipmeet!

(I believe you said you would be south of the city -- the rest of the Phoenix-area Shipmates are to the northwest, north, and southeast.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Won't be back to the Great White North until after the snow is gone!

Sensible bloke! [Big Grin]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
quote:

When do you plan to arrive in Phoenix? We'll have to plan a Shipmeet!

(I believe you said you would be south of the city -- the rest of the Phoenix-area Shipmates are to the northwest, north, and southeast.)

I plan to arrive in Maricopa around Nov. 16 and I will have a car, so can go to where you are.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maricopa is about 30 miles south of where Pigwidgeon is located. It doesn't look like a difficult drive from there into Phoenix judging from the map.

Pigwidgeon might know the area better than I do and could suggest a restaurant where we could all meet. I think we should do it!

Maybe find a church that we could all MW on the 19th?

[ 27. October 2017, 22:58: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Sharkshooter, I've sent an email to the Phoenix-area Shipmates, so we'll be contacting you with some ideas. Will you be on the Ship while on the road?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{Pictures Ship atop car atop road.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

You mean something like this?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I thought of that as I was posting.

--------------------
~Tortuf

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Will you be on the Ship while on the road?

No. But will log in when I arrive. I will be staying spring.

PM sent with my email.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to read of the ute terror attack...

[Votive] for all in Manhattan, and all affected.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed. [Votive]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also from me.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autumn has finally arrived in Phoenix. I slept with the windows closed last night and will probably put the blanket on the bed this weekend.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Autumn has finally arrived in Phoenix. I slept with the windows closed last night and will probably put the blanket on the bed this weekend.

I wore a lightweight jacket the other day to go outside!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could you southern shipmates please send some warmth this way? It's been in the 30s all week, mostly overcast and drizzle. So naturally, the heat pump that warms our sanctuary decided to give up the ghost -- it could be two weeks until the replacement part arrives [Disappointed]
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got an old lady with no money in an apartment she owns where the boiler has given up the ghost. Trying to scout out help. 3 cats make it hard to find alternative housing, if it comes to that...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
quote:

I wore a lightweight jacket the other day to go outside!
I wore my winter coat yesterday.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As the temperature outside has dipped into single figures Centigrade I've just (reluctantly) turned the thermostats on for the base-board heaters and donned a pair of socks for the first time since early May. [Frown]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Being an ex-pat New Yorker, I am always mindful of the fact that October 15 is the date when landlords in New York City are legally required to begin supplying their tenants with heat.

I'm mindful of that as I lounge by poolside, of course. [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Being an ex-pat New Yorker, I am always mindful of the fact that October 15 is the date when landlords in New York City are legally required to begin supplying their tenants with heat.

And there always seemed to be a spell of almost-freezing weather a week or two before October 15.
[Frown]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may be visiting your fair land, going on a whistle-stop tour of various university campuses.

So far I have:

Georgia State
Indian River, Florida
Maryland, Baltimore County
Michigan State
Concordia University Wisconsin/Ann Arbor

Given I have 2 weeks I hope not more are added; I have a symposium to attend [in Austin] and may visit friends in San Jose too.

So start filling your diaries between Jan 30 and Feb 15 now so you have an excuse not to meet me. [Smile]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
I plan to arrive in Maricopa around Nov. 16 and I will have a car, so can go to where you are.

<<Bump>> The 16th is fast approaching. What plans have we laid?

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Wind chill is -20C this morning, as I pack the car for my drive.

Other than a couple side trips, I will be in Arizona until mid-April. I won't miss the cold and the snow.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's too bad we can't blend the cold and hot air together to make all the temperatures perfect!

My laurel oak lost a lot of its leaves in the hurricane (two months ago today!) and put out new, spring green leaves. It looks funny now, seeing the remaining older leaves falling while the bright green leaves are still on the tree. If all goes according to the regular schedule, the oak will bloom again next month!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I became a believer yesterday, flannel sheets on the bed, short sleeve and light weight clothes put away, and fuzzy PJ's worn.

I am happy to say all of Holiday shopping done. I like to avoid the rush and spend my Advent days in quiet baking. My favorite time of the year. I love Winter.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Arizona weather - Love IT. [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Arizona weather - Love IT. [Smile]

Welcome!

You arrived in much cooler, cloudier, damper weather than normal. It should be getting sunnier with highs in the 80s(F) soon.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Let's all plan on getting together after Thanksgiving, shall we?

Sharkshooter, you may want to know about the choral group I sing with. I believe Pigwidgeon is planning on attending the upcoming concert at Dayspring UMC. If you'd like to join us there, you can buy tickets on-line. They're more expensive at the door.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Let's all plan on getting together after Thanksgiving, shall we?

Sharkshooter, you may want to know about the choral group I sing with. I believe Pigwidgeon is planning on attending the upcoming concert at Dayspring UMC. If you'd like to join us there, you can buy tickets on-line. They're more expensive at the door.

Thanks for the reminder -- I just bought my ticket. We should try to get the other Phoenix Shipmates and all meet some time before the concert.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

The concert is at 7:30 which means I'll have a call time of 6:00. I'm not adverse to having an early dinner somewhere in the area provided you "get me to the church on time."

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
The concert is at 7:30 which means I'll have a call time of 6:00. I'm not adverse to having an early dinner somewhere in the area provided you "get me to the church on time."

The church isn't all that far from where we all met a few months ago...

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

That would be Rigatony's, yes? We'd have to meet at 4:30 to ensure I make the call on time. The date is Tuesday, December 12. Sharkshooter, what say you?

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Sounds good to me! See you there.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

sabine

Haha. I had to edit for the spelling of my in screen name [Smile]

[ 23. November 2017, 14:18: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016