homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is your earworm today? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is your earworm today?
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on Facebook, Joyful Noise started singing "Let's go fly a kite". Bother him! I shall be singing that ALL DAY. I don't know whether to be glad that it's blocking out the "Red and yellow and pink and green" of yesterday or not (thanks, Winchester meet!), but it's certainly got a firm hold on my synapses this morning.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Six days without earworms, after a dodgy couple of days with 'Jesus Calls Us O'er the Tumult', and then I get a a 24-carat 'this is gonna drive me nuts' one. One of the few earworms that is worse than Ravel's fecking Bolero...

What was commonly referred to when I was a teenager as

The Birdie Song!

You know the one I mean... [Paranoid]

Or as they sing it in France -

PD

La Danse des Canards The Duck Dance.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to Chorister, I now have 'We are climbing Jesus's ladder, ladder' stuck in my head ...

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Radio 4extra theme music...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is February and I live in the northern hemisphere so why have I got We plough the fields and scatter... on my brain this morning?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After watching the first half of the Spurs match I recorded Saturday (which was already 4-0 Spurs over Newcastle United!), my earworm is When the Spurs (saints) go marching in. It was frequently sung by the home side supporters at White Hart Lane.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangely enough, I had "For all the Saints" running through my head today while I was cleaning the house. I haven't heard it since last November and haven't recently heard anything that sounds similar (as far as I can remember). The sound in my imagination cracked on the high notes just as my voice does when I attempt to sing it.

Because I frequently play the finale of Haydn's Symphony # 82 when I need a mental boost at work, I sometimes get bits of that running through my head. It usually helps, too--so maybe it's not technically an earworm. I also play it when I'm anticipating an upcoming basketball game...and when I get over my team's heartbreaking overtime loss tonight, I'll be ready to hear it again. Not only does it actually remind me of basketball, it has that wonderful nickname: The Bear! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Theme song from High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling), since I heard a snatch of it on Something Understood (BBC Radio4) this morning.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a nice one yesterday when my little country congregation of 3 + me sang George Herbert's "Seven Whole Days". Well the keyboardist and I did.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lymasa
Shipmate
# 11397

- Posted      Profile for Lymasa   Email Lymasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calvin Hampton's Repeating Alleluia. The title says it all. Better than some things it could be, I suppose. (Had Mr. Cow stuck in my head for days on end, once!)

--------------------
I wish I were a jellyfish
That cannot fall down stairs. . .
GK Chesterton

Posts: 191 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I had a nice one yesterday when my little country congregation of 3 + me sang George Herbert's "Seven Whole Days". Well the keyboardist and I did.

Is that 'King of Glory, King of Peace'? That one always makes me smile, because of "Thou dids't note my working breast".

I have visions of an animatronic George Herbert, complete with fully working breast.

Presumably to supply "the cream of all my heart" mentioned later...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Lymasa:
Had Mr. Cow stuck in my head for days on end...

Mr. Cow?

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an advert currently running on ITV3 with Matt Monroe singing Born Free: had it running in my head for five days solid now.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you purchased the advertised product, though?

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's earworm, thanks to the wonderful new Muppets film, is "Life's A Happy Song".

Hey, it could be worse. It could be Manuh Manuh...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Big Bang Theory theme tune - ALL NIGHT.

Kept waking up and it was still going round in my head. Not that I don't like it, it's a funny song, but not a lullaby!

[tired and grumpy]

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to a conversation in the office, I now have the Grange Hill theme tune lodged in my brain. This sucks.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
American Pie

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Today's earworm, thanks to the wonderful new Muppets film, is "Life's A Happy Song".

Hey, it could be worse. It could be Manuh Manuh...

Or worse, it could be "Man or Muppet." Thanks to plays by Chris Evans on Radio 2 that has been my earworm, day and night for 2 days.

I'd rather have tinnitus back.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woke up today with "Me gustas tanto (I like you so much)" bouncing around in my head. Paulina Rubio. Very toe-tappy. Check it out.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you purchased the advertised product, though?

No. It was for something called FoxyBingo.com

The earworm has, thanks be to God, been less insistent today and is alternating with Wymmaway.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
American Pie

The original version or the abomination of Madonna's

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The original is rubbish: it rubbishes the great Rolling Stones. Could Madonna's version be even worse?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The Archers signature tune is a frequent earworm. I prefer the Archers Extra version, but as it is out of production now, I rarely think of it.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything by Adele. Lord, I love that album!

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like either version of American Pie, I just don't want it as an earworm, but I hear it so rarely that it tends to stick when I've heard it!

Happily, it's been dispatched by a Mozart piano sonata which has now taken up residence since I decided to bring it up to playing in front of other people standard again.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an advert on ClassicFM at the moment for some sort of sugar substitute and it's based on "Truly Scrumptious from Chittychittybangbang and it won't get out of my head....

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Winnow
Apprentice
# 5656

- Posted      Profile for Winnow   Email Winnow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm 'enery the eighth I am, 'enery the eight I am I am. I got married to the widow next door; she's been married seven times before, and every one was an 'enery, wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam, I'm her eighth old man I'm 'enery, 'enery the eighth I am ... {and it continues forever}!
Posts: 34 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

"The Hairbrush Song" fronm Veggie Tales, alas. Thanks to my son who was singing it, albeit with the words altered to "oh where is the wii remote ..."

--------------------

Lymasa
Shipmate
# 11397

- Posted      Profile for Lymasa   Email Lymasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Lymasa:
Had Mr. Cow stuck in my head for days on end...

Mr. Cow?
Sir Kevin:

Mr. Cow

But I wouldn't, if I were you.

--------------------
GK Chesterton

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Walking down evangelical memory lane )

Anybody remember the Butterfly Song?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lymasa
Shipmate
# 11397

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Walking down evangelical memory lane )

Anybody remember the Butterfly Song?

Do you mean the one that starts, "If I were a butterfly, I'd thank You, Lord, for giving me wings"?

--------------------
GK Chesterton

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
♪ ♫ ...If I were a wiggly worm, I'd thank you Lord that I could squirm.
If I were a fuzzy wuzzy bear, I'd thank you Lord for my fuzzy, wuzzy hair... ♫ ♪

Since Kelly has so generously shared her ear worm with me, I wanted to make sure that nobody else who knows it escapes. [Devil]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That song also has the Cartman factor, in that if someone sings the first line aloud, one finds one's self compulsively singing the rest through to the chorus.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

Okay... I am being driven slowly (or more quickly than I was previously) mad over a repeating song in my head since yesterday afternoon: "Candy Perfume Girl" by Madonna. Specifically the lyrics she draws out: "Diiiiid I liiiie to youuuu... my candy perfume girllllll..."

I went to bed singing that song and I woke up singing that song and I'm typing this singing that song and I... yeah, you know what I mean! [Help]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I had part of the Mass, one of the bits that is sung in modern English, stuck in my head yesterday. Failed to post at the time, but in six hours when I return home from the cathedral I'll let you lot know if it's back.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I had part of the Mass, one of the bits that is sung in modern English, stuck in my head yesterday. Failed to post at the time, but in six hours when I return home from the cathedral I'll let you lot know if it's back.

I'll trade you yours for more of "diiiiiiiiiiid IIIIIIIIIIIII liiiiie to you, my candy perfume..." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Kill me! Kill me now!!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
♪ ♫ ...If I were a wiggly worm, I'd thank you Lord that I could squirm.
If I were a fuzzy wuzzy bear, I'd thank you Lord for my fuzzy, wuzzy hair... ♫ ♪

Since Kelly has so generously shared her ear worm with me, I wanted to make sure that nobody else who knows it escapes. [Devil]

I was a convert to Christianity. I came to faith on a Saturday. The next day I went to church, as you do. The congregation of big mature grown-ups sung that as what I would later come to know as the offertory, with gusto. [Projectile]

I very nearly never darkened the door of a church again.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was lucky enough to be a child at the time. I do seem to remember the adults creasing up when they sang it though. I think we had extra [Eek!] verses too, but time has kindly expunged them.*

♪ ♫ ... wiggle my tail and I’d giggle with glee ... ♫ ♪

*They'll be back. Probably in the middle of the night.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the misfortune of having to sing that one recently (although it was Education Sunday, with a church full of several hundred children as well as a few brave adults, so I guess that makes it different). What was really unfair, though, was the alto who sits next to me telling me she knew the rude version, but then refusing to tell me what the words were. I mean, how unkind is that?

And if you must have such a song as an earworm, how much better to have the alternate version.... [Two face]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I suspect 1 Cor. 12.12-24 could lend itself to a few "if I were" compositions. "If I were a ...'

Whatever.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
The next day I went to church, as you do. The congregation of big mature grown-ups sung that as what I would later come to know as the offertory, with gusto.

Oh God. Bless. Them.
[Overused]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
The next day I went to church, as you do. The congregation of big mature grown-ups sung that as what I would later come to know as the offertory, with gusto.

Oh God. Bless. Them.
[Overused]

With actions?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That would be a sign of people truly fearless in the Lord.

When I was a youngster, I once lead a group of grown adults-- LUTHERAN adults-- in a couple choruses of "This little light of mine." I stopped after one bar and scolded them because they didn't have their little lights up. They complied.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
With actions?

Yup. Maybe Kelly was there [Eek!]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had an earworm buzzing around for a couple of weeks, and I'm very happy today because I've finally figured out what it IS. A little snatch of the 1st movement of Beethoven's cello sonata no.3.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

I listened to a lovely Youtube video tonight... some college choral group singing a version of "O Vos Omnes". Now THERE'S an ear worm I don't mind having. Beautiful music! I sang this in a choral group in Seattle and have loved it ever since.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paddy, that's a very classy earworm! [Smile]

Mine is Cwm Rhondda with the descant, which we sang at a funeral this morning.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nessun Dorma.

This is not a problem.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shine Jesus Shine.

This is a problem.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016