homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps to commune with the soul of my political mentor:

Highgate

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that doesn't sound like Sir John Betjeman, who went to Highgate School ... and Bernard Jenkin MP sn't old enough ...

What about Charles Clarke (former Home Secretary), who presumably leads us to Norwich (Thorpe)?

(I think we can include "Thorpe" as Mr. Clarke is a Labour politician - the mere mention of the word might still give Liberals apoplexy!)

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think most true Liberals will be apoplectic enough with what has been done in their name over the last few years!

St James Street

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your blue and red tokens are seriously tarnished and the yellow ones have fallen apart.

Only one place to go:

Custom House

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Chadwell Heath

And, as I pass GO I pick up 4 blue chips and a couple of purple ones!

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just don't replace the rainbow on your shoulder with the chips.

Upney

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Abermule

Oh dear!

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Well let's go to Disneyland Railroad Main Street

where there's an organ you may press ineptly to you heart's content...

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aldeburgh - home of Orlando the marmalade cat and also the excellent Cragg Sisters Tea Room where my wife and I partook but an hour ago.

Sadly the railway beyond Leiston was Beechinged.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

I hope you had a lovely time! I cleaned the house and nursed a streaming cold. [Mad]

Let's go to Norwich - just because we can.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we'll soon squash that ploy!

Guide Bridge

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

As a schoolboy I used to go to Pontypool Road in the weeks before Christmas to spot very rare (in this part of the world) Class 40 'Whistlers' on a goods special from Guide Bridge.

Which takes us to Newport (High Street)

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You raise me rare spotted Whistlers, and I raise you greater striped Insignias.

Llantwit Major

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As it's not quite Twelfth Night yet (well, not here anyway), BT's Defunct Stations Permit (2012 Festive Season) is still in operation, and he very kindly e-mailed me some green chips:

Tolleshunt D'arcy

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Birkenhead Woodside

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Sheffield Wicker

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I fear that any mention of "Wicker" draws us irresistibly to Southwest Scotland and, in particular, the Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Railway. There is a choice of location so why not choose Gatehouse of Fleet? - that gives me a chance to use up those pesky tartan chips that have been cluttering up the drawer ever since Alex Salmond announced the Independence Referendum.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Molesworth

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Yarck

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oh, great!

That means I can play Newton-le-Willows!

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Lowton

--------------------

Shipmate
# 2515

St John's Chapel (NER)
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Hightown

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Lower Edmonton (Low Level). [Smile]

[ 06. January 2013, 21:52: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holbeck (High Level)
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 2515

Tyndrum (Lower)
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All these ups and downs are making me feel dizzy. [Ultra confused]

Norwich should sort that out. Very flat, Norfolk. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As are the fens.

Ely

(If it's a sunny day visit the cathedral)

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Elie - Scottish Region.
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Lye

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

This is clearly getting silly - but I am afraid I am inevitably tempted by Eye - change at Mellis for stations to Liverpool Street.

On the other hand, you can still catch a train at Lye - something you haven't been able to do at Eye since (I think) the 1930s!

[ 07. January 2013, 08:20: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Rye

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which of course means I can fly to East Midlands Airport

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

On the 7th of the month? Very dubious...

We'll get back on the ground at

Rhoose Cardiff International Airport

which for better or worse is now the longest official station name in the UK!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm not sure that was a good idea but if you insist then I shall have to take us to

Bache

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah. Now that's interesting. I, the blue chips having been cached in, in order to avoid putting the eastern half of the network in Nidd, Zone 1 being currently +5 THAC0, notwithstanding the Dronfield Convention rules about passing loops, Goodge Street, once again, as is my wont, will play.*

*Sorry, once they've taught you Latin you can never quite drop the habit.

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

That, I'm afraid, takes us on an excursus to

Albano Laziale

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Heol Llanfair-ym-Muallt, naturally.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Well, at least no-one went to Wye!

The Italian connection was going to draw us to Clerkenwell - nearest station Farringdon.

However, the unpronounceable Welsh name has scuppered all that: the best we can do now is Roman Bridge on the Ffestiniog branch.

By the way, everything west of Holyhead is now in Spoon (not to mention submerged).

[ 07. January 2013, 12:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Erm, Leamington Spa?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Booooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Perfectly legal play, of course. The Boo was for the LSM, not for the play or the player.

You do realise, of course, that I'm faced either with the loss of my Queen*, or...

Dollis Hill

*Victoria, natch.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

However, the unpronounceable Welsh name

Shame on you, as a good chapel boy. "Hlan-vire uhm mee-alht" isn't unpronounceable at all.

"Ty'n y caeau" is more of a bugger, but there's no station there.

Which reminds me, the next BBC weatherman to mangle "Capel Curig" wins a wooden spoon around the back of the head.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

PHEW ... Thanks! (breathes sigh of relief) ... I'm having trouble keeping up with the pace of this game!

Leicester (Belgrave Road) - that'll fox them! And I can say it!

[ 07. January 2013, 12:10: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Since closed stations are still sugary (and to annoy KLB)

Leamington Spa (Milverton) for Warwick

[Devil]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

No, sorry.

Dollis Hill

(bad code puts you in spoon)

[ 07. January 2013, 19:43: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ince & Elton

Just for fun, really.

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Wonderful - that gives me a perfect reverse opposed diagonal to

Leamington Avenue

Now try to get to bloody Dollis Hill from there!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I won't even try - but a look on G++gle Maps suggests that we may be but a short stroll from South Merton.
Shipmate
# 76

It's not so much a case of trying to get there as trying not to.

So. I could play Euston or even, at a pinch, High Street Kensington. But both would essentially boil down to coming en guard in quarte, with the obvious downside.

Hence, Dollis Hill

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Well, linking with the Mrs Merton allusion, and since there's an 'n' in the month, we can have future stations as well as past.

Wythenshawe Park Metrolink

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016