homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 43)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going OK after 2 days at work. Bit tired, though!

mr curly

back on top

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news, Mr Curly. And Rexory, prayers continuing.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
He may be a devil to some, but he is a person daily taking up his cross to me.

Amen.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's to what awaits Beyond 2000 [Eek!]

To infinity and beyond!

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weird weather here today. Gales and torrential rain forecast for south of Sydney with some up here. Currently it's both sunny and raining. Son had to drive west for work this morning and said it was below zero at Badgery's Creek. Blanket of snow on Blue Mountains, more near BL's place, first time in decades. Also on Snowies and northern tablelands.

Last Friday it was 34° C.

On a good note, I have just realised I am walking without a limp for the first day since beginning of August. Very welcome.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With that weather, you had better stay inside, Mr Curly.

We had our 4mm of rain (the first for about 8 weeks) yesterday. Today we are having high and gusty winds.

Called FD yesterday. He seems to be getting on OK in his parish. Next time I am up visiting some of LKspouse relatives I hope to visit him and Clarence.

I am waiting for the hospital bureaucracy to approve my chaplaincy so I can start spiritual care visits. I don't know what is taking so long.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm at Erskine Park, not sure of the temp but it's bloody cold!
Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I disturbed shortly after 2am today to a still, quiet and dark house. The power had gone off. I called Essential Energy to let them know. They said that the crews were finding it hard to get around because of the snow. "It's not snowing here," I said.

How wrong I was. Two inches of the white stuff at 6am, with the power still off. Being on tanks, that meant no pumps and no running water, so I trotted along to the one gravity-fed tap to get water for coffee and for washing. Not running: frozen.

We had enough water in the jug to be able to heat on the stove and make a plunger of coffee (good thing there was some ground coffee or I would have been brushing the spills from around the grinder). But to wash the only remaining water was the half-full bucket in the shower.

Apparently the power is back on so I think it will be a bath tonight.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister used to live at Maroota near Wiseman's Ferry here. Tank water and frequent disturbances to power. Like you, that meant no pump. Eventually they rigged up a small pool which was filled periodically from dam. Gravity feed so toilet could be flushed. They usually had some drinking water from tank in a couple of containers.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Frozen pipes [Eek!]

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday we stowed away the winter duvet (doona?) and flannelette sheets. Today it is COLD. What are you folk going to send us over the ditch?

Sixty years ago we knew an orchardist near Nelson whose brother had an orchard in Tasmania. When the Aussie brother was struck by violent weather he'd phone his Kiwi brother to expect it three days later.

I suppose nowadays he'd text him.

Looking forward to summer.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Removed a VERY large decomposing python from the gutters today. [Projectile]

(kinda sad, too, because I like pythons [Tear] )

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

(oh, and 35°C. Which doesn't help pythons smell their best. We did get 22 mm of rain the other day, our first since Easter)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Dear God. Kinda puts Spiffy's skunk thing into perspective...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Brother had a decomposing possum removed from roof cavity recently. The are has just been re-roofed and hopefully entry points have been sealed up.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

And what snake is going to move into its territory. Hopefully not a brown.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One wonders what killed the python?

Crazy weather in Sydney today, snow everywhere on the outskirts of Sydney, brrrr.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It probably was feeling its own mortality, and simply found a kind, python-loving home upon which it could lay its weary head. [Tear]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe, Kelly but I think of bigger snakes or other things nastier than the python.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I was about to turn in, but I think I'll stay up for a while...

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

I have this problem with decomposing ex's.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Well, don't we all, really.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, but you grow lovely chrysanthemums, Kelly.

[Biased]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coldest October day in 44 years here yesterday. Today not much better. I hope Rowen is not expecting warmth as she comes north.

Not. Happy. Jan.
BRRRRRR.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
My sister used to live at Maroota near Wiseman's Ferry here. Tank water and frequent disturbances to power. Like you, that meant no pump. Eventually they rigged up a small pool which was filled periodically from dam. Gravity feed so toilet could be flushed. They usually had some drinking water from tank in a couple of containers.

When I lived in New Hampshire, my water came from a well. When there was a power failure, the well-pump didn't work. Fortunately, most power failures were predictable; I knew the storm was coming. I filled the bathtub with water for washing and toilet-flushing, and I filled covered pitchers with drinking water.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All back to normal. Long soak in the bath when we arrived home from work. Lasagne from the supermarket, Maggie Beer Tempranillo and a film we'd watched before.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
... Maggie Beer Tempranillo and a film we'd watched before.

Sounds like the start of a poem by the late John Betjeman, Vulpior.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A message for Mr Curly:

Even with heart medicines, the old ticker takes a few months to adapt after a heart attack. So you do get "aftershocks" - for reasons that I suppose are a bit like those that apply to earthquakes.

However it does adapt after a few months, provided your general health is OK. I am pleased to say that two years on from a [mild] attack I have recovered enough to take part in an occasional cycle race without being totally disgraced. (See the AS cycling thread).

So, to coin a phrase, don't lose heart !

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woo Hoo! I'm back on line having had to buy another USB dongle from the Evil Empire. Apparently the old one won't work with my operating system [Roll Eyes] .

Week one in the cattery went really well. Now for somewhere to live.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was wondering how you were going, James. Blessings for this part of your journey.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Tukai. I need to remember to be patient sometimes.

Today has been a good day. Until the gastro struck. [Projectile]

mr curly

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WTF??? Christmas decoratims all ready at a shoppig mall here!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
WTF??? Christmas decoratims all ready at a shoppig mall here!!!!!!!!

Australia is behind the times. I've seen those for weeks now. Quite a glaring colour scheme what with Thanksgiving just past and Hallowe'en yet to come.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Thankfully,
my town has no shopping mall, or Christmas displays yet.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

An unoccupied car dealership on the Pacific Highway near us has just opened as a Christmas decoration supa-store. A thin and whispy youth dressed as Santa was on the footpath waving to passing cars yesterday.

mr curly

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that the "new Santa"? Fit and healthy instead of fat.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
quote:

Yeah, that's my main concern. There's some big browns round here. I didn't do an autopsy on the snake but there are about three or four possibilities:
  • Cane toad
  • Swallowed too big an animal (there was a possum around) and became wedged in gutter (too decomposed to be sure if wedged)
  • attacked by our three dogs and died of injuries
  • old age. Oh, and
  • something else. God's punitive wrath for giving apples to Eve?

Dunno. I like to think old age.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Now if he had got into your whisky, the wrath may have made him legless

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that's my main concern. There's some big browns round here. I didn't do an autopsy on the snake but there are about three or four possibilities:
  • Cane toad
  • Swallowed too big an animal (there was a possum around) and became wedged in gutter (too decomposed to be sure if wedged)
  • attacked by our three dogs and died of injuries
  • old age. Oh, and
  • something else. God's punitive wrath for giving apples to Eve?

Dunno. I like to think old age.

Have you counted your children lately? Lothlorien's brother, who has possum problems, used joke about getting a python and going into business with it - he'd rent it out, put it into your roof, then when it's having its post-possum snooze, removing it and taking to to the next customer.

+Greg visited us this morning. Instead of the usual responsorial psalm we have on non-choir days (choir days has the psalm chanted) we had Psalm 23. He read a verse in creole, and we would then repeat the verse, but in a modern, colloquial NT English. He later threw away his notes and preached on the psalm verse by verse ex tempore. Very effective and very moving. Not sure if this is the right board, but the translation has the enemy looking on to the prepared feast, with implications of envy on their part. It gives a different slant to it. Until now, we've read it as showing care and protection.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore:
quote:

[Big Grin]

I have knelt on a gift of Betjeman. He donated the altar rail kneeler at my former church (my former UK church, not the local place I've given up on) in memory of his mother.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
+Greg visited us this morning.

Egad, he get's around! We saw him here, once.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

I have knelt on a gift of Betjeman. He donated the altar rail kneeler at my former church (my former UK church, not the local place I've given up on) in memory of his mother.
So it is contagious! [Biased]

Wonderful poet, though I would think considered a bit "dated" now.

OBTW I think you'll find many have given up on their local places. In retrospect I see it as often an act of genuine spiritual discernment.

--------------------
Well...

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowen has arrived. As a CostCo virgin, I am, it seems, to be deflowered this week. This is because I am too cheap to pay the $60 membership, but she, as a member, can sign me in.

I suspect shopping may have to be followed by a leisurely lunch to get our strength back up. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

Sir P, in my case I wouldn't be quite so bold as to claim genuine spiritual discernment. I do think the concept of God wanting each one of us in a particular church is a little tending to predestination.

BL, we have been putting off a trip back to Costco (and so a now-due membership renewal) because we are off on a combined work trip/holiday, and also because the credit card account is bursting from the Grand Final* trip to Melbourne. but on our return, we will be indulging in the happy pastime of shopping.

Make sure you take cash. Why cash? Firstly, because non-members cannot pay for anything except by cash via the member, and secondly because it will give you a rigid budget.

* Cheer, cheer the red and the white.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL assumes rightly.... I like being on vacation, especially when there are lovely folk around!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
Sir P, in my case I wouldn't be quite so bold as to claim genuine spiritual discernment. I do think the concept of God wanting each one of us in a particular church is a little tending to predestination.

I was basically speaking of the act of exiting a particular place, Vulpior, following a sort of hunch.

--------------------
Well...

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

I was thoroughly oriented yesterday [Snore]

Today I have been trained, tomorrow I get jabbed (again) then on Thursday I have to attend a focus group [Confused]

Somewhere in all that I hope to see some patients! It would be possible, it seems to me, to attend meetings, be told what a good person you are and never see a patient.

Is it any wonder I am supping a malt now? [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers plese, one and all: have to have a prostate biopsy tomorrow. The procedure is not what's owrrying me, but the possible results. So be an [Angel] and feel free to bang the gates of heaven!

Wityh thanks in advance - and will keep you updates as matters come to light.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

[Votive] EL

James, hope the new job goes well once you "really" get started.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
the act of exiting a particular place, Vulpior, following a sort of hunch.

the risk here is 'oh this isn't warm and fuzzy and all about me any more, I think I'll leave' ... most people I have observed spitting the dummy and leaving (no not all) have followed that siren.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016