homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, I have the Kindle app on my iphone (which is how I have read Mr Curly's books!). Not sure what other phones the app is available for, though.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Thanks for the link, BL. I did find it yesterday. When I first posted was only minutes after the news and I think they must have put it up later.

Huia, if you wash your new phone, put it in a bowl of uncooked rice and leave it several days. I've seen several rescue phones like this and grandson's iPod which took a dive to bottom of swimming pool for quite a while was also resurrected.

I put mine through the washing machine (as you do) and did the rice thing and it was OK, just had to get a new SIM card

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I put mine through the washing machine (as you do)
Been receiving dirty phonecalls perhaps? [Biased]

Sorry, but am quite frazzled. I can understand comfort eating. If I had chocolate in the house I would be eating it.

Day wrecked by disgusting delivery service from Colesworths.

Emails this morning to say they had no rice or grapes or the butter I use. Early delivery set up as I had things to do.. Several phonecalls and emails later, delivery arrives 3 hours late. By the time it arrived, my arrangements had been changed twice and then abandoned. All operators very polite but no use at all.

One told me it was the rain. I suggested that this was not exactly the first wet day Sydney has had. We've had rain for weeks and weeks. Their logistics people need to learn to compensate for Sydney's slowdown or standstill in wet weather by scheduling fewer deliveries in the one timeslot. One said they had refunded my delivery fee in compensation for a wrecked day. She was surprised when I said, "Big deal. All $5."

I started to put it away and realised it was only partly there. Over twenty items were missing. This time I rang them and worked my way up the line to a manager. She was about as frazzled as I was but very polite. Bigger discount on the next order (if any) and missing items will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Have had this confirmed and it's not in the truck so someone else has $120 of freebies including my chocolate. I'd go down to the service station but they sell only rubbish like cadburys or Nestle which I wouldn't buy. Not good stuff.

All up four emails, seven phonecalls, little satisfaction.

[ 02. March 2012, 02:36: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bad luck, Loth! Grrr. A bit of rain and traffic does not cause 3 hour delays.

Girl guide camp called off this weekend, so Mrs C and Little Miss won't be floating around on air mattresses under canvass this weekend. All cricket called off tomorrow - boys will be grumpy.

BUT arrangements have simplified. Family pizza and movie night brewing for tomorrow night.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have now buried the phone in a bowl of rice in the hot water cupboard - fingers crossed as the new phone is both wider and thicker which makes it a challenge fot my short fingers. The sim card still worked and is in my new phone. I always keep the same phone number as I've memorized it and am not sure I could remember another one. (probably I've left it a bit late with the rice, but nothing venture...).

Announcement from Bishop of Christchurch, Victoria Matthews today. The Cathedral walls will be demolished to the height of 2 or 3 metres. [Waterworks] (but I think it's the right decision). It has not been decided whether a new Cathedral will be built on the same site as futher engineering reports will be needed on the land. {I know that when the Visitors' Centre was added to the Cathedral about 10 to 15 years ago there was talk of the streams that run under the Square which may add to the instability of the land].

I knew the announcement was coming, and the contents weren't really a surprise but I am sad it has come to this. I said my goodbye to the building last year, but it's a bit like hearing someone has died when you had a strong suspicion, but not quite a certainty that they were terminally ill.

A storm is coming through over the weekend, not nearly as bad as some of you have had, but I went to the library today so I'm spending the weekend reading.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, is there any idea that they might do something like Coventry did after the war?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's rained here all day and it's pouring yet again here. DIL has been out at night on SES work and will probably be in the Hawkesbury River district all weekend. She's been a volunteer for six years now, has pretty well all the certificates there are and does a lot of training of new recruits. Warragamba Dam is full and it's spillway is now open for the first time in 14 years.

It's hard to think that it was about 28% full only a few years ago.

Apparently not only the severity of this system is unusual, but also it seems to be exceptionally slow moving. Many places will get yet another 200-300 mm rain in the next few days.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whereas we're getting very little.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh - I expressed my sorrow for Christchurch's cathedral on Facebook. Another huge sadness amongst many. [Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth is SES an emergency service? While I was up north I missed any news, so I didn't realize that the weather had been so bad over there.

The 3am forecast has just reported 21 severe weather warnings, (rain and severe gales) [Eek!] with power supply out in Auckland. I have located my torch and transistor just in case, but there is no weather warning for Canterbury.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Loth is SES an emergency service? While I was up north I missed any news, so I didn't realize that the weather had been so bad over there.

The 3am forecast has just reported 21 severe weather warnings, (rain and severe gales) [Eek!] with power supply out in Auckland. I have located my torch and transistor just in case, but there is no weather warning for Canterbury.

Huia

State Emergency Service
Out in all kinds of emergencies.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a major weather warning for the central and south North Island – gales, heavy rain, lots of events and services cancelled including Cook Strait ferries. Quite separate from what's happening over the Ditch, and expected to be gone by tomorrow.

I'm taking some (late) breakfast back to bed, but I did wrap up earlier to feed the neiighbour's cat.

[Votive] for those who are having a much worse time than we are in our small corner.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

DIL spent 14 hours at Wilberforce, downstream from Warragamba Dam on the Hawkesbury River. Chaos with evacuations apparently.

She's home for a few hours sleep and will be back there 5:00 pm today. It's a pretty little old town, one of several founded by Governor Macquarie on the river in early 18th century.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One amusing side of this relentless rain is the sheep in the paddock opposite my window. They are lying or standing under a group of trees chewing their cud. Every now and then one of them will dash out into the rain, gobble up some grass then dash back into the shelter.

[Votive] for all affected by the weather.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My father would make me hang my head in shame! Wrong century. Early 1800s.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

No weather here.

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ozchild No1 got remarried last friday. OzHeather & I have been babysitting the OzHorde while they honey mooned the Gold Coast [Biased]
Very tired now. [Snore]

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope the second marriage works out well, Ozo. [Votive] Ours did. They definitely can.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Amen

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spectacular morning in Sydney, finally some sunshine and blue skies after all the rain. Shame I have indoors chores to do [Frown]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Bloody lawns. I spent three hours mowing the lawns at my church at Batchelor yesterday. Today I'm spending the same number of hours mowing ours at home - normally my Saturday chore.

Bloody lawns.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Bloody lawns. I spent three hours mowing the lawns at my church at Batchelor yesterday. Today I'm spending the same number of hours mowing ours at home - normally my Saturday chore.

Bloody lawns.

Since when was lawn-mowing in the Rector's duty statement?

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Wet again now but there was some sun. Picture on Project 365 to prove it. Rain shortly after picture was taken.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Bloody lawns.

Since when was lawn-mowing in the Rector's duty statement?
When the irregular lush growth spots show where the bodies are buried...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just emerging from my first intensive at All Books. Not half as bad as I expected. Life in the parish is much more demanding!

Changes have been made to the ministry program. They work.

I do believe in miracles, I do, I do...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will note Zappa that I have long since changed jobs, nonetheless, I often, when a Drug & Alcohol counsellor worked hard to keep people away from the grass- so it cannot be helpful having the local rector busy growing it!

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Muahaha ... mind you when I suggested that to my parish council at St Myopia on the Swamp they took me seriously. We had just been notified that we owned some land in the feral goat blocks on the edge of the Divide (downhill from you, OzO) ... I said it could be good for a cash crop ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FD is enjoying the delights of taking 3 sessions to mow the paddock. He is also now becoming an expert on whipper snippers: we need one to deal with all the stuff around the fence lines.

On a different note, I was trying to explain the ABC Miss Fisher series to him. His reply: "oh, sort of an ABC version of Underbelly, then?"

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings everybody!

Just transitioning myself across from the newbie thread to say hello, and coming in on the end of the threads about mobile phones and lawnmowing.

Have just been issued a new mobile by work today. I'd only just received a new phone late last year because the phone before that died of old age, so now the company has done a deal with the service provider, who are giving us all upgraded phones. There's no more functionality than my old phone, and it has a combination of buttons and a touch screen, so it's harder to use. Net gain = nil, plus I have to go through it and set everything up again [Mad] . Might try Huia's trick with the washing machine... [Two face]

Zappa - bloody lawns indeed! We had new turf put down last October. On the instruction of the landscaping person, I went to Bunnies and bought a sprinkler, which I used twice before the big wet hit Sydney (at least Cryptogirl and Cryptodog enjoyed running around under it). Since the rain and the heat, it has turned into a jungle that grows faster than I can mow.

Have only seen episode 1 of Miss Fisher so far (further episodes banking up on the recorder). Apart from a few dodgy accents, it's pretty good stuff. Haven't done so well with "Woodley"... lots of talent in that show, but so hard to watch...

Thanks folks for the messages of welcome on the newbie thread, and to Lothlorien for your PM.

Cheers.
Cryptic

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
FD is enjoying the delights of taking 3 sessions to mow the paddock. He is also now becoming an expert on whipper snippers: we need one to deal with all the stuff around the fence lines.

On a different note, I was trying to explain the ABC Miss Fisher series to him. His reply: "oh, sort of an ABC version of Underbelly, then?"

Tell him to get a life! [Big Grin] I'm thoroughly enjoying the series, I've read most of the books and, given that it is a one hour show, they have stayed remarkably close to the original!

Welcome Cryptic.

7 sleeps to go! [Cool]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As JtC so eloquently put it - welcome, Cryptic [Biased]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Oh, I forgot the comma! [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, Cryptic, welcome to the ship.

Well, yet another injured bird has found its way to my house. This one is a scaly breasted lorikeet, which appears to have been attacked by a cat. It has a wound on it's wing (fortunately no longer bleeding) and the wing itself is either wrenched or broken... Think it's going to take a while before this little guy can be released.

Athrawes - coming up for air after 2 weeks of the new C2C curriculum [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

Hey there Cryptic, welcome aboard.
I admit to having a pathetic wish to see what would happen if you were called to Hell- but for the less than admirable reason that I could make puns about people having cross words with Cryptic!
[Biased]
But otherwise- I wish you well here in this fine company.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Cryptic.

Just want to say that I want to resign from motherhood. *sigh*

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

[Votive] BL

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Will this rain never end?

Country towns are being flooded as the vast amounts of water move downstream.

Here in Sydney I need the lights on to wash up at 9:00 am. We've had 100 mm rain overnight, lots of places are up around 150 mm. Road closure, landslides on some roads, railway stations flooded.

The intersection I overlook is about half a metre deep with rain coming down Great North Road and also slope from Burwood. Parramatta Road is closed i both directions at Leichhardt.

We have fog and it's pouring. [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Hi Cryptic.

Just want to say that I want to resign from motherhood. *sigh*

Oh dear, BL. Probably different causes but I'll join you.

--------------------

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you shipmates for the welcomes!

Ozowen - I'll try to avoid cross words or even crossing swords - that wasn't punny at all! [Roll Eyes] otherwise straight to Hell for me!

Banner Lady - I think that the wish to resign from motherhood applies equally to fathers as well [Help]

Lothlorien I think we're nearly neighbours and we were watching the same rain this morning, so much of it. Wet, wet, wet...

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I meant to add earlier, Cryptic, that you're very welcome at the Sydney lunch meet for Mr and Mrs tree Bee if you can manage it. Details on Sydney Meet thread in All Saints.

Stormwater canal picture
here. It had been even higher earlier. Fairly sure I have marked this as public and not in the family Flickr group.

[ 08. March 2012, 00:04: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
Wet, wet, wet...

Come north to the dry parts.

--------------------

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

Thanks Lothlorien for the invitation to lunch, but that's a work day.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, Cryptic...

The rain is kinda scary here, in far east Gippsland.... I am presently cut-off from tomorrow's confernce. Is that a good or a bad thing, I wonder?

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stay safe and dry, Rowen!
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to all wet people - we didn't give it to you, honest! Seriously, I hope it stops raining so heavily *soon*! We've all had enough!

Well, small bird has broken his wing. He's pulled all the strapping off, as you do, and seems to be trying to eat it, instead of the lori-porrige I've given him. He's also on anti-biotics for where the cat chewed him. It'll be 4 weeks before he can be released into the wild again.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As I hinted, Mertide, Kuruman (though she's currently Elsewhere™) and I are experiencing very understated wet. Move north and dry out, I reckon. If this is a wet season up here, then we had far wetter on the sides of the north (albeit in winter) and youse southerners are far, far wetter.

Though maybe a wee tad humid.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

Not at all wet here in the West. Heatwave weekend coming up, they tell us.

--------------------

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm told it's the dryest Wet for years, which at least means less stingers. Could be a long hot Dry though. I have oldtimers balefully telling me the wet's about to start - in March. I'm working in Katherine next week, so I hope it stays dry for the drive.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Wave as you drive past, mertide. I see our illustrious paper is blurblibg about a cyclone again.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016