homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The USA thread (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The USA thread
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are winding down a trip to the UK and unfortunately brought the weather we were trying to escape from.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clarification -

We brought heat to the UK. Unfortunately, we did not bring cool temps and rain to Texas.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once in a while you get a sign that you've been spending waaay too much time on the Ship:

I'm on the annual vacation with my huge hilarious extended family of in-laws, and we were playing Reverse Charades, which is a hoot. It's played as teams, and my team drew the word "Limbo." All I could think of was the Ship's board, and I completely froze, thinking of Deep Theological Thots™ and of famous old Ship threads. Fortunately my teammates kicked right into gear and started pantomiming the Limbo dance, because I was useless!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm dragging this thread up from the second page to tip my hat to our local transit agency.

Usually, when the bus monopoly announces service changes, it means that the buses will be running less frequently.

The new weekday service on El Camino Real (the main corridor around here) now runs every 15 minutes instead of every half hour. The PR person for SamTrans said that the goal is to make carrying a schedule unnecessary: just walk out to the road and a bus will be along any minute.

It sounds obvious, but the obvious is rarely simple when you're trying to get somewhere.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(unsettled)

So, we are having this bizarre lighting storm that involves no rain and no thunder. Just a big flash over the fog every 5 minutes or so.(At least in the Bay Area.)

It's really creepy. I prefer my lightning with a warning signal.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I walked to the bus in the midst of that non-storm. I kept waiting for the other shoe (and the rain) to drop.

An FB friend reports that the whole thing was very much present in La Honda. Don't know why I didn't hear any lightning where I was.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are also getting lightening and no rain. We are on red alert for forrest fires. Not sure what good it does to know we are on alert, we can do nothing about lightening strikes. So far so good, no smoke.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
report from the Canvas Palace, late night edition: snuggled in blankets next to the fire and witnessing not just nature but NATURE! in the form of rain and howling winds coming down the mountain, followed by swiftly moving, glowy clouds, followed by glorious MOONSHINE of the bazillion-watt variety that I could probably read by if I wasn't happily snuggled up and just watching and listening and witnessing.

Despite everything, living in a hard shell means you miss a lot. squirrels waking me up at 4 am - not so good. Hearing ravenwings and living a storm is glorious.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
See, that I could dig. I kinda like storms-- much more than dry spells, for sure.Passive-aggressive stealth lightning is just-- weird.

Didn't help that I was deep in the Fog Belt, though. I wish I had been in Pacifica.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Impressive pic, Kelly.

We almost never get real lightning storms in the Bay Area. I remember driving home through one. I was heading north along 280 (almost as high as you get on the Peninsula) with great sizzly lightning strikes hitting the ground on either side of the freeway. These were the big, fuzzy-edged things that look like an inspiration for the Star Wars movies. I was very glad to get home that night.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hey, a tree in the back of my house got hit years back-- that was pretty real to me [Big Grin]

Fond memories of my older sis running upstairs to cower at the foot of my bed while I chirped,"Just pretend it's fireworks!"

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
report from the Canvas Palace, late night edition: snuggled in blankets next to the fire and witnessing not just nature but NATURE! in the form of rain and howling winds coming down the mountain, followed by swiftly moving, glowy clouds, followed by glorious MOONSHINE...

'Round these here parts, Moonshine has a whole 'nother meanin'.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Hey, a tree in the back of my house got hit years back-- that was pretty real to me [Big Grin]

Fond memories of my older sis running upstairs to cower at the foot of my bed while I chirped,"Just pretend it's fireworks!"

Back when I was a wee lad in the Boy Scouts, our troop went on a camping trip as Boy scouts are wont to do and, arriving after dark, could not find our assigned campsite. So we found one that was unoccupied and made camp.

About midnight, there was a powerful storm; wind, thunder, lightning, the works. At one point there was an especially great and almost simultaneous crash of lightning and thunder! we knew it had hit something really close.

The next morning, we went out to gather firewood as Boy scouts are wont to do and found the campsite we had been assigned to. In the middle of that campsite was a tree. Shattered into a million splinters from a quarter inch up to fifteen feet long. They covered the entire site. Had we found the site were supposed to have been in, I would not be here to tell this tale.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
report from the Canvas Palace, late night edition: snuggled in blankets next to the fire and witnessing not just nature but NATURE! in the form of rain and howling winds coming down the mountain, followed by swiftly moving, glowy clouds, followed by glorious MOONSHINE...

'Round these here parts, Moonshine has a whole 'nother meanin'.
yeah yeah. thought of that and decided I loved the word with MY meaning.

here we call it either rotgut or just homebrew. quality varies from just bad to gawdawful.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:

The next morning, we went out to gather firewood as Boy scouts are wont to do and found the campsite we had been assigned to. In the middle of that campsite was a tree. Shattered into a million splinters from a quarter inch up to fifteen feet long. They covered the entire site. Had we found the site were supposed to have been in, I would not be here to tell this tale.

,,,but what a fantastic tale!
[Cool]

We had the boomflash thing right above out house-- the next morning we saw the redwood sapling* in the backyard had a limb dangling off of it.

The last lightning storm we had around here-- last year? Year before?-- I sat on FB teasing my sis about her fear of lightning. (also I figured staying on line with her and chatting about dumb, non-storm related stuff would calm her down. I remember my attempts to soothe her interrupted by somebody-or-another gasping at the fact that we were on the computer during a lightning storm-- something about the conductivity of the electrical system? Not sure. Did nothing to help my sis's panic. [Big Grin]

*redwood sapling= I think it was about 30 years old at that point.

[ 22. August 2013, 02:44: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lay in bed last night and looked through the skylight to watch the lightning. It wasn't a big storm.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had thunder this morning on my way to work. Made it to the bus just as the rain started, and there was a deluge while I was en route. By the time I got off the bus, it was down to not much more than a drizzle, then it cleared up entirely.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
See, that I could dig. I kinda like storms-- much more than dry spells, for sure.

I really need to do a good carnauba wax job on my new Ford Focus - it is metalflake black and water spots do not just wash off. I have only washed it four times in six months but I do like rain! Too bloody hot otherwise.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ugh. [Disappointed]

Said freaky lightning storm started a rim fire up in Yosemite, which is defying firefighters efforts to control it (at this point.) One of the big problems about this, aside from the obvious destruction of a treasured national park and danger to the people living in the area, is that the ash and soot from the fire is threatening the Hetch Hetchy water system, which provides water and hydroelectric power all the way down to the Bay Area, and farther if I am not mistaken. What a mess. [Frown]

Yosemite is a special place to everyone in my family-- years of visiting it. I first read the Lord of the Rings while sitting in a tree overhanging the Yosemite River. I hope those gloomy clouds off the Pacific mean rain. [Frown]

[ 24. August 2013, 06:41: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Not to be outdone, a Louisiana bayou decided to start inhaling trees.

Mother Nature needs a Midol.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had our weird lightning here two weeks ago.
After midnight, I was driving home from a performance of Gotterdammerung when I started to see occasional flashes with no thunder coming from various different places. I seriously was worried that my retinas were detaching after six hours of Wagner. Eventually it was happening frequently enough that I knew it was lightning.
As I got home it started to rain. A half hour later it was pouring with lighting and thunder for a half hour, which is rare here. Then it moved on leaving only the heavy rain. A great night to listen in bed to the storm.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
th no thunder coming from various different places. I seriously was worried that my retinas were detaching after six hours of Wagner.

I can understand your confusion.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend told me an interesting story.

When she went to her dentist, his receptionist asked her if she would like to adopt a puppy--a beagle-lab mix. It turned out that the mother dog had been killed by a bear, and they were trying to find good homes for six unweaned puppies.

As my friend said to me, a puppy that has received no training from its mother may be difficult to get along with.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, MOO, it's cleaning and adoption for you? I'd rather have a root canal and no puppy, thank you. [Snigger]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This week, we've had some lightning displays up in the mountains, but no precipitation to speak of. I heard tell of some tropical depression that will be sending up some rain, but frankly, I'll believe it when I see it.

When we do get a lightning storm, I crank up the cameras and try to catch a strike, but I'm always a shutter stroke off. DARN IT.

I think we got a photo of the meteor shower, though. JB says he might have some with his film camera, so we'll see the photos this week. Nobody does film processing anymore, so it takes a week to send it out. <sigh> Digital has spoiled us, no more anticipation, it's all right there immediately. [Paranoid]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter's wedding is less than a week away! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Is it that same day as Hart's final vows? Maybe I can light a candle for y'all at Notre Dame...

OK, I know there are a lot of NPR fans out there, so I need to share this moment-- I get into my car after running errands to hear Selected Shorts starting-- a host I don't recognize right away announced that the first story will be "The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury.

"Cool!" I thought.

...and it will be read by Stephen Colbert.

"SCORE!" I yelled aloud in my car.

He did it brilliantly, of course, and then the host came back on It turned out Elijah Shepherd had been replaced tonight by Neil Gaiman ("COOL!!") who then announced that the next story was one of his absolute favorites, "The Catbird Seat" by James Thurber.

Cool! (and Thurber is one of my favorite authors, too, so I like Gaiman so much more now knowing if I ever wind up at a cocktail party with him in it, I can just steer the conversation to Thurber.)

Station break, and Gaiman re-introduces the story, which he says will be read by Leonard Nimoy!

So, in a nutshell, it was one of the most stellar episodes of "Selected Shorts I have ever heard, both in story quality and in voice quality. And Gaiman did well as a host-- the cherry on top. [Big Grin]

[ 01. September 2013, 04:12: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

.. and then I turn on the TV, and the first thing I see is Kirk and Spock fighting the hot lava pizza monster thing.

What is the Universe trying to tell me?

[Seriously, that thing looks like the crappy cardboard pizza they used to serve us in my elementary school cafeteria. We used to beg for seconds. [Snigger] ]

[ 01. September 2013, 04:21: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! A day off!

I'm mostly relaxing today. Some friends and I will have a pizza party later on. What are y'all doing?

Tomorrow, I hit the ground running. It's the start of the new music season at church with rehearsals and planning (my personal planning is completed [Yipee] ) and all that. The next thing you know, it will be Advent...then C********!!!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had me a genuine day off yesterday for the first time in a very very long time. Lounged around the house in the morning, went to a dove shoot in the afternoon, drank beer and ate BBQ bologna with some old and new friends, then watched the race with my best buddy. Never even once set foot in the bar. It was awesome!

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I like Gaiman so much more now knowing if I ever wind up at a cocktail party with him in it, I can just steer the conversation to Thurber.

Always good to be prepared for things like running into Neil Gaiman at a cocktail party! [Biased]

And thanks for telling us about this -- I'm off to find it on the web ...

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

My daughters wedding was yesterday and went wonderfully!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

mine gets married saturday and I'm beginning to lose my mind, so you give me hope!

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

You too will survive, Comet. Relax and enjoy it.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had a bit of rain here recently. Eight inches so far this month. My swales were full of little tadpoles (and other less nice things). Apparently, the wee froggies have decided that my bedroom is an appropriate nursery. Yesterday I found a tiny frog, about a half inch long and maybe 3/16ths wide. It was just hanging out on the floor. So I took him outside.

Today, I found four little frogs, and a baby lizard in my bedroom.

How the heck did they get in my house? They are way too small to jump onto my window and find a way in.

But, it could be a whole lot worse. At least they are cute things rather than roaches and snakes and such. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I wish you would send some of that rain our way. We don't have a drought because it was extremely rainy earlier in the year, but it hasn't rained hard for a month or so.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I wish we could equalize all the rainfall in the country right now, Moo! I'd be very glad to share with you, and I bet those folks in Colorado would, too. [Frown]

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aaaargh, me hearties! Tis talk like a pirate day!

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Tired of all this rain, you can have some of ours, MOO

(tried to put this in Pirate Talk, but couldn't)

AAARRGH

[ 19. September 2013, 19:38: Message edited by: Ye Olde Motherboarde ]

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's just after 1 AM, my time, and later this morning, I'm serving as liturgist at church. This will be the first time I've had any formal role to play in any organized church setting since 2005. I'm a little nervous, but also pretty excited.

I think I've finally found a church to call home here in my little notch in the Bible Belt. What I do for a living tends to make me a bit of an outsider when it comes to church around here. It's hard for folks to understand that I can run a den of sin and iniquity and still be a believer. When I started going to my current church, I met with the pastor and one of the first things I told him was what I do. His response was, "That's so cool!" He's come out to the bar and hung out with my regulars, just as an average guy, not trying to save them, not trying to preach, just talking sports, farming, travel and the weather. For someplace like where I live, this is bigger than huge. And, he recognizes that a lot of what I do is prety much the same as what he does, just with cigarette smoke and cold beer.

Long-winded way of saying I'm really happy that I've found a church to attend again.

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's brilliant Bess - all the best for later, you'll be fine.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

Thanks. It feels like coming home after a long journey.

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Is it that same day as Hart's final vows? "Cool!" I thought.

...and it will be read by Stephen Colbert.

He did it brilliantly, of course, and then the host came back on It turned out Elijah Shepherd had been replaced tonight by Neil Gaiman ("COOL!!") who then announced that the next story was one of his absolute favorites, "The Catbird Seat" by James Thurber.

Cool! (and Thurber is one of my favorite authors, too, so I like Gaiman so much more now knowing if I ever wind up at a cocktail party with him in it, I can just steer the conversation to Thurber.)

Station break, and Gaiman re-introduces the story, which he says will be read by Leonard Nimoy!

So, in a nutshell, it was one of the most stellar episodes of "Selected Shorts I have ever heard, both in story quality and in voice quality. And Gaiman did well as a host-- the cherry on top. [Big Grin]

Neil Gaiman was in Seattle last month as part of a book signing tour and teaching a SF writers workshop. He said it was the last signing tour because he now instantly sells out 500 seat auditoriums and feels obligated to chat for a moment with anyone who wants to while having the book signed. So the reading is followed by 4 hours of signing and usually a plane to the next city.

His newest book "The Ocean at the end of the Lane" is fabulous btw.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin] Poor guy. Nice guy, sounds like, too.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly - don't you follow Neil Gaiman on Twitter? He really does come over as amazing. They serialised The Ocean at the end of the Lane as the Book at Bedtime on Radio 4 earlier this year and I really want to read it now. When it's out in paperback.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Kelly - don't you follow Neil Gaiman on Twitter?

Well, he hasn't sent me a personal invitation.

[Biased]

(I don't do Twitter much at all. Facebook is more than enough for me. He has a lovely speaking voice, though.)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently, according to offspring - really worth following on Tumblr

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Bess, that sounds like a wonderful pastor and a wonderful church.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Lord, save us. Can we just do without huge rainstorms? Had another storm last night that was loud and very wet. North of us, rain and snow ------ YES, SNOW! west of Denver in the mountains.

I don't mind a little rain, but arroyo running, roof leaking rain is NOT FUN!

We have guys doing the roof this week after the solar panels come off. Got the supplies from the hardware store to start work and the weather should be sunny. [Yipee]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

bunch of snow on the mainland overnight. here, just rainrainrain which is unfortunately normal. the clouds lifted enough to show us all the fresh snow on the peaks, though. here it comes!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016