homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 2014 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2014 Celebrity Death Pool
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The singer Pete Seeger is now receiving his reward for his life of campaigning.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Pete Seegar, and though he didn't gain me many points I'm sorry to see him go.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
I had Pete Seegar, and though he didn't gain me many points I'm sorry to see him go.

Ditto, Not that I wanted to see him go.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin who is a professional musician and indie producer spoke of having the Seegers to his home for use of his studio where they did some recording. It was a real experience and an honor. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maximillian Schell has died. Age 83. Can't do a link on my stupid iPad. I'll provide one once I get to a real computer.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

Link...
Schell

--------------------
I need a quote.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Philip Seymour Hoffman takes his last bow.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Just saw this on my news feed. Sad loss.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Just saw this on my news feed. Sad loss.
Fuck. [Votive]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly, Og. RIP Mr.Hoffman. [Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad as well, I am, but angry too. All that talent wasted on a fucking needle.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this All Saints, now?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Typical. I added a few baseball players to my list this year, but missed an (in retrospect) obvious one:

Ralph Kiner is gone, goodbye.

Hall of Fame player, then a memorable broadcaster, known for his many malaprops (he once forgot his own name, calling himself "Ralph Korner")(and, the classic, on Father's Day he stated that he wanted "to wish all the fathers in the audience a happy birthday.").

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Is this All Saints, now?

People have been making comments about specific deaths on the death pool thread for the last several years. I'm sure the Circus Hosts are on top of it.

[ 07. February 2014, 03:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one had them, I'm sure, but Gabriel Axel, director of that wonderful film Babette's Feast, is partaking of the heavenly banquet.

And I mention Deogratias Muganwa Byabazaire, Bishop of Hoima, Uganda, who is now giving thanks to God in person, merely because of his wonderful name.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christopher Barry has directed his final cliffhanger.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got Shirley Temple? 15 points if so.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

[Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, came here to check on here.

There's one lady that is gonna get a "well done, good and faithful servant!" [Votive]

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

Sid Caesar is doing Your Show of Shows in the Great Beyond...

Variety

[edited to correct spelling]

[ 12. February 2014, 23:30: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me, Kyzyl, but he deserved to have his name spelled correctly.

I remember him on TV in the 50s with the late great Imogene Coca, and of course in such films as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, which was a veritable gallery of greats, some in cameos: Jimmy Durante, Jack Benny, Ethel Merman, Spencer Tracy, and of course Terry-Thomas.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Forgive me, Kyzyl, but he deserved to have his name spelled correctly.

I remember him on TV in the 50s with the late great Imogene Coca, and of course in such films as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, which was a veritable gallery of greats, some in cameos: Jimmy Durante, Jack Benny, Ethel Merman, Spencer Tracy, and of course Terry-Thomas.

Thanks, I hate typing on my iPad.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

Ralph Waite of The Waltons, NCIS, etc...

Ralph Waite

--------------------
I need a quote.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Another baseball death that was not on my list (I am beginning to detect a pattern):

Jim Fregosi, former Phillies manager, has died. He took the Phillies to the World Series in 1993 with a team that had been a last-place team the year before. (The Phillies lost that World Series to Toronto, but that is a story for another day.)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Tom Finney, Preston North End and England footballer, has died at 91. He was one of England's top half-dozen players and played right across the forward line.

There will be the usual armbands and minutes of applause on Saturday but very few people will be asking "Who was he?"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a Muppet Family Reunion. John Henson, son of Jim, joins his father.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

She's on my list. Not that I take any pleasure in it; I admired her a lot.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

No one had this fellow, I'm sure, but I humbly submit that his death goes toward proving the existence of God.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a loony! [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about "Do not put God to the test"?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The truth is, so many of the people who insist on the importance of the biblical text, of taking the text at its word, are those who actually ignore those bits that they don't like.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*polite cough*
Not saying this sounds like it might be heading toward a discussion of practical implications of an actively lived hermeneutic of biblical inerrancy (though that might be interesting), not saying we're getting too far off the given topic of reading obits of interesting people and seeing who has connections with the Dark Angel, but I don't want to have to say either of those things. Talking about dead people is cool; dead horses, not as much.
Ariston, Circus Host

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Ariston - sorry. What we meed is more dead people.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is over a month ago now, but I was surprised that none of you mentioned the death of Phil Everly of the Everly Brothers. None of you are of my dad's vintage, obviously.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure on 3 January:
Phil Everly, RIP [Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh sorry, I missed that! I do remember looking, though.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Ah this is better - new dead people.

Christopher Malcolm From Rocky Horror and Ab Fab has died.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Those of us who grew up during the Vietnam War era will rejoice that Garrick Utley will be reporting the news in heaven for us to read when we get there.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Miss Amanda hates to give the impression that she reads nothing but the obituaries, but no one has yet noted that Maria Franziska von Trapp is now hearing the sound of a different sort of music.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

Harold Ramis is battling another kind of ghost...
Who you gonna call??

--------------------
I need a quote.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought these comments by Ramis about Groundhog Day might be of interest to Shipmates.

[ 25. February 2014, 22:49: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paco de Lucía, the Spanish, spanish guitar genius died today, okay I should have said flamenco, but when do I get to put spanish twice in a row else?. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNmCZfU0_d4 for a live concert vid.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that you needed the comma between Spanish and spanish. But you are right, opportunities like this should not be wasted.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fine Irish actor Jimmy Ellis, probably best known as Sergeant Bert Lynch in Z-Cars, has died at 82.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bob Crow has died.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Bob Crow has died.

That is a sad loss. He was a proper, decent trade unionist. Always prepared to speak his mind, and always standing up for his workers. There are no others like him sadly, who believed in his principles, and put them into practice.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sarah Palin is happier today.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Anything that makes Sarah Palin happy is bad.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tony Benn has died, aged 88.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Those of us with a more left-leaning political position are having a bad week.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016