homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Things I Want To Know, etc. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Things I Want To Know, etc.
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Where's that 'Things I want to Know' thread? That was useful, that was.]

There are five named Admins. The Famous Five. But I noticed that if you do a search in the Directory, selecting Administrator in the Member status box, it throws up 21 results of people who have Administrator status, some of whom are hardly famous at all. No offence.

Is this one of those lifetime honorary titular things, like the President of the USA, wherein one is never an ex-Admin?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

That would be the thread with a title like "things I want to know, but don't need to know". Where that is is probably one of those things you don't need to know [Biased]

[Actually, I think you'll find it in Oblivion]

quote:
There are five named Admins. The Famous Five. But I noticed that if you do a search in the Directory, selecting Administrator in the Member status box, it throws up 21 results of people who have Administrator status, some of whom are hardly famous at all. No offence.

Is this one of those lifetime honorary titular things, like the President of the USA, wherein one is never an ex-Admin?

There are five active Board Admins, who are the primary people dealing directly with the hosts and you lot. Some people who have retired from those positions continue to do important jobs in the background (such as handling the registration process). Of course, the senior officers on the Ship are also admins here. And, we've got a couple of volunteers who handle technical issues and developments. On top of that, former admins who wish to retain their admin status do so, they provide the benefit of their wisdom and experience to the rest of us and step in to help out if needed.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the Unsung Heroes. Would it be terribly cringemaking to thank them for their efforts? I guess it would.

Thanks, Alan.

BTW, have you ever considered having,'It's probably in Oblivion' as a sig.? [Biased]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

That would be the thread with a title like "things I want to know, but don't need to know".
why thank you - it's nice to find a thread one started some time in the dim and distant past was useful. [Smile]

[Fixed code]

[ 14. November 2010, 23:02: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Two questions.

How do I find the Oblivion board? Usually, it's listed in Recent Visitors, so I use the link there to navigate to it, but when nobody's visited the board recently I can't do this.

Also, how do I code text as superscript? I tried the UBB code [sup]text[/sup] to no avail.

I know, I've been here long enough...

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like this² ? =
code:
 Like this² ? 

It depends what you want to make super - 1 is 185, 2 is 178, 3 is 179. Beyond that, who knows?

Or you can hold down the alt key and enter 0185, 0178 or 0179 and it will appear like magic.

Oblivion is at http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=70 - just change the number at the end of any forum to 70.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Brilliant. Thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a link to the Oblivion board on the Intro text for Limbo.

If you do a Google search for "special HTML characters" you'll find loads of places that list the various ways you can get superscript numbers and other funky stuff. Then just practice on the UBB practice thread to make sure they actually work here.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Yes, I thought of HTML code, but it's for a sig, so I didn't suppose that would work.

How does one insert a blank character, to work effectively as a space, for example to indent a new line of text?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
#_nbsp_;

remove underscores

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, I thought of HTML code, but it's for a sig, so I didn't suppose that would work.

How does one insert a blank character, to work effectively as a space, for example to indent a new line of text?

I don't know, but we have a dedicated
Technical Support thread for this sort of question. You might also want to try the UBB Practice Thread too as people are often able to answer question. Let's try and keep this thread for the "want to know but don't need to know" type trivia.

Spike
Styx host

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
#_nbsp_;

remove underscores

Much obliged, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'll take it to the UBB practice thread (thanks, Spike).

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell, my mistake. Replace the # with &. Sorry.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something I'd like to know: has the "votive candle" smiley always bounced up and down (and it's just that I haven't noticed it), or has someone given it a new lease of life recently?

[Votive]

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's nodding its head in time to the music!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I can remember it's always been animated.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it must be an IE8 quirk. It's always been animated in that the flame has always flickered sideways, but I don't remember the actual candle itself jumping up and down as well - and it isn't doing this in Opera.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
It's nodding its head in time to the music!

It looks more like it's jumping up and down to the Hallelujah Chorus.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm using Firefox for Linux and it's not jumping, just the flame.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not doing it in XP Pro and Firefox, and I checked XP Pro and IE8 (shudder) - just the usual flicker.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A the top left-hand corner of each thread it says "Source (consider it)". I've only just noticed this - has it always been there? And if not, is someone in the know considering whatever it is?

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Admins have the ability to change some bits of text that appear in various places in the software. New admins face a considerable temptation to play with the fancy buttons they find at their disposal.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Alan - I think I see. With great power comes great responsibility!

[ 09. December 2010, 21:05: Message edited by: mrs whibley ]

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Or maybe 'With great power comes great opportunity'.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a box at board home saying "currently ringing alarm bells" or "welcome to" or some such, with the name of the newest member. That seems to have disappeared. Or has nobody joined lately? [Paranoid]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's on the Directory search page.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure there was something announcing new members on the Board Home page too, previously.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for over 5 years anyway.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
no - I'm with Eutycus on this one - sure it was there until quite recently.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I think it said "welcome aboard XXX"

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

I'm with Euty and Jenny Ann. I'm sure I've seen it on the home page in the last few weeks, but in any case I spotted a friend joining via that box in June, and I rarely go to the Directory search page.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes it was definitely there until a week or two ago. I looked it up on the Internet Archive and the most recent old page was from 2008 (see here) and it shows up there (the text says 'Newbie alert for xxxxx'). OK that wasn't VERY recent, but certainly less than 5 years ago!

[ 15. December 2010, 08:48: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Yes - that's what I've seen recently rather than the full box that's on the Directory page.

--------------------

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was there until a couple of days ago. If memory serves, it disappears when the PTB have a little clearout and delete a registration e.g. a sock or spammer. It should appear again when the next new apprentice signs up. (I think!)

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Well that goes to show you I seldom go to the Ship's home page then. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I found a cached version of the 'board home' page with it on from Dec. 8 and would have posted it here before all you lot but my computer has since developed a mind of its own requiring external surgery. [Mad]

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears the Newbie Alert is back. We have a new member named Bigfish.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

<rushes to grab cached version of board home without newbie alert...>

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the place to ask whether it is somewhere possible to see a list of all shipmates with a particular avatar?
I took a fancy to look who else had picked the same as I have.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
Is this the place to ask whether it is somewhere possible to see a list of all shipmates with a particular avatar?
I took a fancy to look who else had picked the same as I have.

Yes: No.
Sorry.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

I notice sometimes a post starting a new page in a thread sounds like the poster had known beforehand that his post would turn a new page.

Is it possible to somewhere see that my post will be the one to start a new page? (Or are the ones which I saw achieved by using the "edit" button?)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Post number 50, 100, 150 & etc are at the top of the page. You can see by the bar at the bottom of the page of your browser if you hold the mouse over the little page icon what post number you're on.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are using firefox you might need to hover your mouse over the square blob between the poster's name and the date of posting - the last bit of information shown on the bottom of your browser window contains the post number.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. That square blob is the page icon.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find the Post Count Landmarks thread; I'm sure I'm just exceeding my usual levels of stupidity, but has it moved/had its title changed for the new year?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this must be it! (and congrats for reaching 4000!)

[ 10. January 2011, 18:52: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
If you are using firefox you might need to hover your mouse over the square blob between the poster's name and the date of posting - the last bit of information shown on the bottom of your browser window contains the post number.

Pedantic aside - that's actually the reply number since the opening post in each thread is 000000.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Thanks folks!
Never in a zillion years would I have figured that out by myself.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
I think this must be it! (and congrats for reaching 4000!)

Thank you on both counts. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Next post flips the page.
Wanna bet?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016