homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B1.1 was delivered this morning somewhat battered after coming off his moto cross bike yesterday. No school and no cadets for him today, as one leg needs time to heal. It appears he was doing wheel stands without all his protective gear on.

[Disappointed]

Suggestions for suitable punitive measures, please! Unless you think lack of sympathy from his nanna is getting the point across. (I have my doubts.)

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is bike also out of action? Perhaps a delay in getting it fixed or replaced?

Eldest grandchild, 17 in January was captaining a state side in soccer in holidays. His team won their two matches on first day. However he was taken out by losing side doing other teams a favour. Right at end of second game he was tackled heavily. Nowhere near the ball, just an act of revenge. One badly dislocated knee was result. It was put back in by trainer and he had strapping and physio, but no more play except for a token five minutes in last game.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish I could do wheelstands [Frown] . Is the enforced time off his bike a punishment in itself?

I spent a large part of the school holidays cutting up, laminating and cutting again some copyright free junior maths activities that a teacher had downloaded from the internet. I wish we had this kind if stuff when I was teaching as I always though maths was short changed compared with reading at the junior level (5 and 6 year olds). The internet makes sharing ideas and resources so much easier and photocopying is so much easier and more attractive than using a banda or gestetner was.

I enjoy being part of a school too. Watching children learn is exciting. In some ways I wish I had never left teaching all those years ago, but I did it to go to uni so I could learn to be a better teacher - then, halfway through my degree, the government of the day declared that any break in teaching service meant being at the bottom of the list when being considered for jobs. It was a very short-sighted policy in my opinion, even though it allowed me to get a post-graduate degree paid for by another government department [Razz]

Huia

[ 12. October 2015, 05:23: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I still come across some banda pages among my resources.
Decades ago (it must have been) we cleared out a cupboard in the church office, and there was a huge stack of banda carbons etc no longer of any use to anyone, no doubt bought at a good price one fine day.

Why do I not play my beloved vinyl records, several hundred of them? I'm too lazy to keep getting up to turn them over. But before they came, it was 78s, that needed changing every few minutes. How life has changed. And I haven't dreamed of getting an MP3 or whatever it's called.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm deserting the antipodes for a couple of weeks ... go well without me!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(PS ... taking Vegemite with me)

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
I still come across some banda pages among my resources ...

There are few things in the world more evocative (or perhaps more intoxicating) than the smell of a freshly-printed banda page ...

**sigh**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And what are carbon pages good for these days? I have just unearthed two ancient boxes of these. I am sure they would be useful in some craft activity - just not sure what???

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to a Sydney Anglican induction tonight! Many moons since I've been to one of those.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
And what are carbon pages good for these days? I have just unearthed two ancient boxes of these. I am sure they would be useful in some craft activity - just not sure what???

Your grandkids would love to draw on them!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Preferably straight onto the carpet.

A busy few days last week in Adelaide - where despite the Purg thread about bottled water, I followed my usual practice and bought bottles so that I could have a decent cup of tea. It's strange that the bad taste seems to vanish in coffee.

Back yesterday afternoon to a magnificent concert with Kathy Selby and a couple of her friends run by the Mozart Society. She really is a consummate professional musician, nothing seems to throw her at all. As usual, we ran into Lothlorien's brother there and caught the train back with him. He reports having caught a funnel web in his pool through the week. Very early in the season for that.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He and son took the spider up the road to hospital to be used in production of antivenene.

He said the concert was last for the year and that he enjoyed it.

Why oh why does the autocorrect insist on showing off its knowledge, or lack thereof? Twice it replaced concert with Cicero. From my readings of Cicero. I doubt he would be well impressed.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't see why your autocorrect wouldn't recognise the word "concert". [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Neither do I Piglet. I suspect it may have been predictive text feature. I turned off both that and autocorrect some hours ago. Sandemaniac took the mistake kindly but I felt bad and so turned both features off. However I see it is still correcting things to Pandemoniac so can't have done it on computer, only iPad. Next task...

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have spell-check turned on, but I am free to ignore what it flags up.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Travelling again, this time en route to the Solomon Islands. Getting to the Solomon Islands from Darwin is one of the few regrets I have about moving to Darwin: it is another layer of complexity!

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Twice a week direct flights from Sydney have made the trip less complex down here. Friend is over there till Friday, against advice from many friends. His health is not good but adequate but when tired he gets very vaguel.

Last trip he almost missed connection in Brisbane, left a bag which disappeared in terminal. He has twice missed flights when the change in Brisbane was mandatory. That flight, which still exists, starts in Sydney from domestic terminal and he went to International. Twice in two trips!.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Travel well, DD. And prayers for Rowen, who has been unwell while traveling. May all your journeys be bracketed by kindness. Hope Loth's friend finds his way home too.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, BL. He is a worry, and like most of us, he is stubborn. He was to have had company but that arrangement fell through till next June. He secretly bought ticket, knowing that friends would not be happy.. The lady at front desk in hotel in Homiara knows him from previous visits and seems to have recognised his problems.

She arranged pickup of camera from airport, is overseeing some of his arrangements. He left camera in plane on arrival. She will get him on plane on Friday. This flight unfortunately needs change at Brisbane on way back to Sydney. That means a change in terminals, so we pray all goes well.

Best wishes and prayer too for Rowen.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've been avoiding the Oz Lounge since you booted us out of the rugby, but now that we were Officially Robbed™ I can pop my snout round the door again ... [Big Grin]

Save travels, DD, and [Votive] that Rowen's travels aren't jiggered by ill-health.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

History repeats itself in my family. My son drives a Renault Mégane, diesel, and he and friend have just today picked up a Renault seven seater van. The name of the place sounded familiar so I did a bit of research. It is the same seller of continental cars where Dad bought his Citroen DS, before any of my sons were born in 1970s.. Now a much bigger operation than the small caryard it was then.

Son was close to his grandfather so was thrilled when I tracked down the link and will email them tomorrow.

[ 22. October 2015, 08:45: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My dad had two Citroens (both diesels) over the course of about 20 years.

For some reason (I'm not sure what) there are absolutely no French cars in Newfoundland, not even comedy 2CVs. The only time you'll see one is with Saint-Pierre/Miquelon plates; SPM is a tiny island off the coast of Newfoundland, but it's actually part of France, with French cars, Euros, a French MP and wonderful food.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heading west to Perf in late November, chaps. Ship meet? Lunch 23-25th?

Too much is going on around here - I've got full time work until Christmas, so at least there will be turducken on the table. Meanwhile, it's like a military operation getting everyone to their activities - and somehow I missed getting to watch Biggest bat the First XI from 6/176 to 7/290 and hit the winning runs against their local arch-rivals.

I'll be pleased when this cough has gone, and when my tax is done - and when we knock off the last 30 hours in the log book so we have a third driver in the house.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Those hours take a lot of getting, don't they. Eldest grandson is in much the same position.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

B1.1 is beginning to look like he needs to be taught his way around a shaver. I expect his mother and I will not be much help here.

I suppose he can always tell his schoolmates he is doing Mo-vember, and he certainly looks very grown up with the neat mo forming on his upper lip but I do not even know what school policy is regarding face hair these days. Particularly as some faiths do not cut hair, and man braids, man buns and face stubble are now all considered cool.

It will probably be his liking for cadet training that forces any action to be taken. I am tempted to surreptitiously add a packet of shaving gear to his army kit....

[ 26. October 2015, 19:06: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That is one part of raising three boys which I have no memory of. Perhaps their father dealt with it.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Heading west to Perf in late November, chaps. Ship meet? Lunch 23-25th?

[Yipee] [Yipee]
Prolly best to organise via FB. AP, Jimmy, and rexory don't seem to come on board much anymore. I think jugular is still away at that time, but we can check that out. And Celsti has been otherwise occupied with birth-giving and so forth, as far as I know.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evensong might see this, however. Are you around, cobber?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banner Lady, would his grandfather be any help?

He will need to be shaven for cadet camps - at least here they were and are. I can speak from uncomfortable experience in saying that razor and shaving foam are a bit awkward to manage particularly on the promotions camp at Singleton in August. Buy a cheap rechargeable electric for him and that will see him through. I did for Dlet. Would that they had existed in my day.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Evensong might see this, however. Are you around, cobber?

Thanks for the heads-up. Lunch would be lovely. Eastern CBD suits me but I'm flexible for food.

(Celsti's been giving birth to people now?? Sheesh, what a crowd-follower...)

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Thanks GD. I have talked to TP who rightly says his dad and other grandfather need to be involved in whatever is purchased - but he concurs that your solution would be the easiest and safest for any sausage fingered acne prone youth.

At least he is not sausage fingered when it comes to weapons training, which is a relief. He may not be able to lace his boots well, but he is in the top 20% in marksmanship. Now its the other 80% I can worry about, given that more army personnel become casualties from training accidents than any other way.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My grandson goes to a really truly Christian School, so I don't have to worry about cadets and sausage fingered adolescents. (Please note my sarcasm!!)

Actually, while I would not send my children to the school, I think they have done a good job with eldest grandson and the girls love it. Compared with pretty well any other school in the area, they are outstanding and have a good reputation. Just very strongly evangelical. Reports even have comments on spiritual development, Bible knowledge, child's ability to pray in public and so on.

Sport does not play the same part as at many other schools, although I note they are more than happy for grandson to bring them glory on sporting field with his abilities to excel in many sports.

[ 28. October 2015, 22:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going back up-thread a bit to shaving, I recall that I taught myself when the time came although I had watched dad and 2 elder brothers so I knew the theory well enough.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Target practice at school used targets leaning against the embankment for the train line and of course live ammo. A cadet placed at each end would whistle when a train was about to pas, wave a red flag etc. No untoward incidents reported. But that was in the days when a lot of the boarders came from the country and were used to rabbit and fox shooting, and many of the rest of us had cousins on properties also. Good on him if he's a good marksman. I was much better than I was at either rugby or cricket, and although I have not fired a rifle in a good many years could probably still do well.

Blade and foam is not easy on camps, usually far too cold to want to stand around shaving with a razor. In my day, electrics were little known, let alone rechargeable battery models. And a blade was a single use Gillette with a wickedly sharp edge. Today's SMH had an advertising insert from a chain which sells electric shavers. Well under $50 will get a decent brand. I was not aware of father/another grandfather on the scene but of course they should be involved.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

GeeD, the father is a permanent invalid thanks to chronic drug abuse, and lives with his parents out in the country a couple of hours away. His saving grace is that he genuinely loves his kids, even if he is totally inept at most of life's responsibilities. We try to stay on speaking terms with everybody despite the estrangement from our daughter. This weekend's visit to the country has been cancelled because the boys dad is once more in hospital, so the purchase of a shaver may well devolve on to us anyway. B 1.1 is away on cadet camp again the weekend after this, but may get away without a shaver until Christmas.

Never crossed my mind I would one day be having to broker boys shaving purchases!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Going back up-thread a bit to shaving, I recall that I taught myself when the time came although I had watched dad and 2 elder brothers so I knew the theory well enough.

I can't remember how I learned ... I was about 74 before I needed to though. [Roll Eyes] I've just given it up again for a few months.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... I was about 74 before I needed to though. [Roll Eyes] ...

Wow, that long ago!

[Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you BL - I was not aware of that very difficult domestic situation. Obviously his father should be involved if possible, but in his absence the support of both grandfathers sounds the way around it. Good luck.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well my daughter, husband and children are as I write mid air en route for home in the Far North of NZ. We had a wonderful time together back in the UK for youngest daughter's wedding.
My grandson is now speaking with a strong Kiwi accent which surprised (why I just don't know, because of course he would!)) and delighted us all. He also speaks Greek as his dad is a Greek New Zealander but not sure whether that accent is affected too... [Biased]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Did your grandson order fush and chups? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly the accent is stronger at that end of the country. If he was living in Southland he would probably roll his r. I can usually pick a West Coaster (South Island) too, but I don't quite know how.

I am [Yipee] having finished planting 20 lavender plants along my driveway. This is one of the getting back to normal after the quakes things, which is the kind of life affirming stuff that gives me a lift. Actually it's better than it was before the quakes as the driveway itself has been replaced as well. Now going off to a pre-school market.

I love sunny Saturdays although we had a late frost this morning).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... Now going off to a pre-school market...

Do you buy the schools or the kids? [Eek!]

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Did your grandson order fush and chups? [Big Grin]

Yes he did ask for "Chups"!
We also had great fun figuring out why an almost 3 year old would be talking about "beer"....he meant the teddy-bear

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Spring planting projects have made our courtyard a lovely place to walk through - and occasionally, when crazy busy life permits, to sit in. Still trying to source some pink woodland violets locally, with no success, but arranging some troughs of seaside daisies and violas to flank the low steps was one of TP's best ideas yet. Looks really lovely, and will stop small grandchildren from falling over the side.

Apricots and cherry plums are plumping up nicely - I hope there are no more severe hail storms between now and harvest time.

Apparently we don't have rainstorms any more, we have "rain events". The one predicted this week seems to have largely been a fizzer so far. But the garden is looking green and lush after a little light rain.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just dropping in to say "well done" to the Kiwi rugby team, and to wish you all the best in the coming hangover. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Just dropping in to say "well done" to the Kiwi rugby team, and to wish you all the best in the coming hangover. [Big Grin]

It's been very exciting and I'm happy to join in the national burst of affection, admiration and pride.

But I'll be glad when all news programmes, in all media are no longer AllBlacksAllBlacksAllBlacksAllBlacksAllBlacksAllBl........

GG.

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

For the next 24 hours it will be FlemingtonFlemingtonFlemington over here with Melbourne Cup fever gripping us all. Yesterdays news is already forgotten. I have just spent the last 30 minutes trying to find a printable form guide to take to my mother in the nursing home and I am already over it. Lots of on-line links and loops and very little allowed to be printed from them.

She always loved horse racing, and is glued to all the Spring Carnival races on tv. Like the Queen, she would study the form guide each morning over breakfast. But I fear I have failed her today, apart from the most basic chart of who is running.

As for me, I will be ignoring the whole shindig as usual.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Some good news to start the week. Son and girlfriend have announced their engagement. I have known officially for some weeks now. She is a lovely girl and has been a tremendous support to him. This was not something he had been seeking after, it just happened through meeting through mutual friends.

I am happy for them both.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

BL, I too ignore the Cup. Sometimes I have even fogotten all abou it.

As a child I used to watch the trotters at the Royal Easter Show with my grandmother. I was always sorry for the one who came last.

I aso remember that two horses died last year at cup festival.

Just not my scene at all.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Congratulations Loth, your family deserves some good news. May it be a long and blessed relationship - they have a good start with you praying for them.

B1.1 missed cadets again last night because his leg wound has opened up again, with much weeping and bleeding. He said he just bent his knee to sit at school and the scar popped. By dinnertime the dressings put on at school were sodden and he and his mum were having trouble finding something absorbent to put on it. TP was getting impatient as the fish curry he had just cooked was on the table. I quickly dealt with the situation so we could all sit and eat in peace.

Afterwards, his mum decided to wash and strap the wound properly. She and B1.1 were both absolutely horrified to see I had used a sanitary napkin under the bandaging.
"You didn't!" they chorused.

I told them that as such sanitary items are used for the absorption of bodily fluids I didn't see what the fuss was about, and that if B1.1 was going to be in the army he would have to get used to using whatever was at hand that was fit for purpose. My parting shot was that he should be glad he didn't have a chronic nose bleed as I might have shoved a tampon up his nose!!!

[Razz]

(and no, I wouldn't really do that...)

[ 02. November 2015, 19:34: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016