homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Videos and images of worship, redux (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Videos and images of worship, redux
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure this warrants a thread of its own, but check out:

Church Rescue

a new TV show on the National Geographic channel (or on their website, right now). A team of pastors who call themselves the "Church Hoppers" travel around to churches to help them move beyond their issues. I wasn't very hopeful about the show, until I actually watched it. Now I hope it lasts. The idea of a reality show about fixing churches is an odd premise, admittedly, but it was interesting anyway.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr Desmond Morse-Boycott 'makes' a boy-bishop c.1935: here.

(h/t Watts & Co.)

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a brilliant Introit for Midnight Mass [Smile]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An explanation of the Divine Office by Fr. Jeremy Driscoll, OSB filmed at Mt. Angel Abbey in Oregon: The Divine Office

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Archdiocese of Chicago released a video that gives a simple explanation of the structure and meaning of the Catholic Mass. The video also offers glimpses of different churches around the archdiocese.

Draw Near - A Video Guide to the Catholic Mass

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

Here's a video of a Mass from the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius in Chicago. It's celebrated ad orientem by Auxiliary Bishop Joseph N. Perry of Chicago. The video was filmed several years ago so what is heard is the previous English translation.

Pontifical High Mass for the Feast of St. Peter and St. Paul (Ordinary Form)

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

Lucian Pavarotti and his father Fernando sing "Panis Angelicus" during Mass at Modena Cathedral in Italy.

Panis Angelicus - Pavarotti Father & Son Duet

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

If you've never been to an Armenian Divine Liturgy, here is your opportunity:

Armenian Orthodox Divine Liturgy narrated in English

It lasts about an hour.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WOW!
Loved the wee bells! "Angel voices" indeed!
And a Lady Lector!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

We now turn our eyes farther east to India* with a guided tour of the Holy Qurbana of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. They are a part of the St. Thomas Christians of Kerala, India. Their Catholic counterpart is the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church.

The video is narrated in English. The narration goes over most of the praying and singing but it makes up for this by being very thorough and informative. The video lasts about 48 minutes.

The Divine Liturgy in the Syrian/Indian Orthodox Rite (Introduction of the Mystagogy of the Rite)

*Actually it looks like this video was filmed in the U.S.

[ 24. March 2014, 20:11: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full video of Choral Evensong and Solemn Benediction at St. Thomas the Apostle, Hollywood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Cyp7BdUKUgM&app=desktop

[ 25. March 2014, 21:45: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

We now hop on a freighter, cross the Indian Ocean and head to Egypt for a Coptic Divine Liturgy celebrated in English at Heavenly Cathedral, Sharm El-Sheikh on the Sinai Peninsula:

The Coptic Orthodox Divine Liturgy in English Complete

Grab some popcorn, folks. The video lasts about an hour and a half.

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

The complete 2014 Easter High Mass at Saint Thomas the Apostle, Hollywood, is available on You Tube.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
The complete 2014 Easter High Mass at Saint Thomas the Apostle, Hollywood, is available on You Tube.

Thank you for this. They do a valuable service by keeping up with social media and videos online. If only all churches did the same. The liturgy is an interesting mixture of different traditions. I'd suggest that anybody watch it at least for the biretta waving during the closing hymn, and the rector's rendition of its second verse: "Ba dum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum..." (The side comments alone imply that this is a fun group to be a part of.)

[ 25. April 2014, 22:33: Message edited by: Olaf ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

I'm very glad you enjoyed it, Olaf.

I'd also recommend the Facebook pages of both Fr. Davies and the parish (SAINT - not St. - Thomas the Apostle, Hollywood).

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Photos and video from my community's recent celebration of Profession of Perpetual Vows. It felt very different to be there for the first time as a finally professed religious throughout that Mass! (As opposed to last year when I became one during it...)

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the video and photos, Hart. They certainly bring back memories of that joy-filled celebration (making me a little misty, in fact).

The fourth photo, with the panoramic shot of the basilica, is terrific and really gives a sense of its beauty and splendor.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMAGES?!?

[Disappointed]

THREAD CLOSED

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago there was a video that went viral of a Gospel procession at an Easter Vigil. The priest (or deacon) twirled while carrying the Gospel book to the ambo, the acolytes danced with their torches, etc. It was tacky but mesmerizing. When Microsoft ate my favorites, I lost it. Googling and searching Youtube have not found it. Does anyone know where it is?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Several years ago there was a video that went viral of a Gospel procession at an Easter Vigil. The priest (or deacon) twirled while carrying the Gospel book to the ambo, the acolytes danced with their torches, etc. It was tacky but mesmerizing. When Microsoft ate my favorites, I lost it. Googling and searching Youtube have not found it. Does anyone know where it is?

I THINK I have it on my hard drive - but looked and found 'access denied' so not sure why or what that means.

It think it was from S. Gregory of Nyssa San Franscisco

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an Episcopal church in northern Virginia which had some of the most dazzling thurifer action I have ever seen. We were attending an investure. That kid made the censer whirl around and around his head, over the heads of the open-mouthed congregation. He also did figure eights and loop de loop.

This was in the days before YouTube video, but I hope the lore has been handed down and that images exist somewhere.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There was an Episcopal church in northern Virginia which had some of the most dazzling thurifer action I have ever seen. We were attending an investure. That kid made the censer whirl around and around his head, over the heads of the open-mouthed congregation. He also did figure eights and loop de loop.

This was in the days before YouTube video, but I hope the lore has been handed down and that images exist somewhere.

showing off - gives anglo catholics a bad name

thurifers should be smelt and not seen

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

The device I'm currently using doesn't support the plug-in required to view the video so I can't verify but I'm fairly sure that this is the one you mean.

I actually came here to post this video of the ceremonies from feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The service is from the cathedral of St Irenaus, part of the Orthodox Church of France.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither a video nor an image, but a recording of our All Souls Mass : Nov 3 2014

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

figure 8s are illegal in some places as a result of the risks of broken chains and flying coals ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
This has recently been released - just some highlights:

Carol Concert

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC broadcast Carols from Kings from 1954 this evening. The link is available on iPlayer for 29 days but I suspect it's not available outside the UK. It's b/w and supposed to have been digitally remastered, which make one wonder what the original condition was after 60 years.

Apart from the limitations of both sound and television technology in 1954, other things to note are,
- It may just be me, but I felt they sang everything just ever so slightly slower 60 years ago.
- There is something incredibly 1950s but it's difficult to say exactly what, about the intonation of the chanted collect and other prayers at the end.
- The blessing at the end is given the old-fashioned way with the right hand raised and stationary. Except among the strictest evangelicals it's usually given with a sign of the cross these days.
- The interior shows what King's College Chapel was like inside before the vaulting was cleaned and the east end completely altered to display the Rubens in the 1960s.

I'd be interested in any other comments.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other comments. So all males, however young, had to use Brylcream in 1954.

Watching it on the telly in my childhood, the solo at the start was sung at the back of the nave, rather than as here: a chorister at the front of the procession, nearly at the screen, with a choirmaster beside him keeping time. (You can't trust these young lads, yer know.)

But what a relief, a service starting in total silence rather than vacuous chat (as it still does).

God bless us all, as Tiny Tim says.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A 360 degree loop with a thurible is being shown on UK TV news today. The feat (or folly?) was recorded at the Christmas Day Mass in Canterbury Cathedral, presumably as an alternative entertainment instead of the Archbishop's sermon, which was cancelled due to him having a cold.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Yes - it seemed very slow.

I preferred the old altar with its 4 candles.

The intonation of the collect and blessing isn't that different from the way it is still done in some places, though kings have dumbed it down for some years now and said the collect - and the one for Xmas Eve, not the day itself.

It looked as if the dean's cope was purple, for Advent, rather than white for Xmas.

Crucifer without taperers back then.

Gospel read by a laymen (or a clergyman not in a cope and no gospel procession.)

The hair styles were awful back in those days.

Unobtrusive conducting by Boris Ord, not the passionate flinging and flailing of arms one sees often today, even in procession.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
... Gospel read by a laymen (or a clergyman not in a cope and no gospel procession.) ...

Is a reading from a gospel technically a gospel rather than a New Testament reading if it's not in a eucharistic service?

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Readings never come from the gospel in the RC office, so the question doesn't arise.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Readings never come from the gospel in the RC office, so the question doesn't arise.

???????

King's College Chapel is CofE and depending on how one dates these things, has been since 1529 or 1558. So, although that's an interesting titbit that I'd never heard before, it doesn't have much bearing on the point here.

One doesn't treat the New Testament reading in Morning or Evening Prayer differently depending on whether it is from one of the four gospels or not. Although I suspect Leo might have been thinking specifically of the In Principe which usually comes last in a carol service, by that point there will have been several gospel readings from St Luke and St Matthew. They are either all 'the gospel' in the liturgical sense or in this context that's a wrong categorisation. Although I suspect Leo knows a lot more about these things than I do, in this case, I think it would be a categorisation error.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

That's sort of what i meant.

The reason why i differentiate the John 1 reading from the other gospel readings is that people remain standing for it and it has procession with acolytes.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There does seem to be a practice of highlighting the final Gospel at a Carol Service (often the Johannine Prologue) with lights, Alleluias, and in our case, incense as well. All of which does provide a suitable climax to the service (and gave me the chance to re-introduce a modest amount of Holy Smoke at a neighbouring parish's Carols by Candlelight)..... [Snigger]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if requests are allowed, please forgive me and disregard if not.

It's about on-demand church service videos.

I currently watch the services from Trinity Wall Street and Brick Presbyterian, NYC; St. Andrew & St. Paul, Montreal and the Presbyterian Cathedral, São Paulo. I used to watch Washington National Cathedral's until Dean Samuel Lloyd III left.

While I'll keep getting my high church fix from Trinity, I'd really enjoy seeing some lower, by-the-book, Evangelical (not Charismatic) Anglican worship for comparison. Especially if the preaching is good. Any hints?

Also, are on-demand service videos an American thing? Aren't there any CofE/CofI/SEC/Kirk shacks doing it?

--------------------
"We cannot let individualism make corporate worship impossible!" (iMonk)

I'm on Facebook too!

Posts: 286 | From: Franca, SP, Brazil | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bumping prior to Board clearance*

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I came across this clip from Farnborough Abbey of the first vespers in the Benedictine form for the third Sunday of Advent.

My frivolous question is: There are two men in dalmatics supporting the becoped abbot. One of the dalmatics has a bar of embroidery on the chest and the other doesn't. One of them wears a black biretta and the other one a white biretta. Why the difference? Is one a monk and the other not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxpZW4qx5Uw

--------------------

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be the answer to the biretta question....

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I came across this clip from Farnborough Abbey of the first vespers in the Benedictine form for the third Sunday of Advent.

My frivolous question is: There are two men in dalmatics supporting the becoped abbot. One of the dalmatics has a bar of embroidery on the chest and the other doesn't. One of them wears a black biretta and the other one a white biretta. Why the difference? Is one a monk and the other not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxpZW4qx5Uw

Not sure about the biretta question (*deletes anti-biretta tirade*) but my guess is that the embroidered dalmatic is for a deacon and the plain one is a subdeacon's tunicle.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

That's what I wondered, which is why I didn't call them deacons, but I thought the RCC abolished subdeacons some 50 years ago.

Not that the man has much to do but hold up the end of the cope.

I was a bit surprised at a Benedictine Abbey being so Brompton Oratory (although the ceremonial there is far more complicated for Vespers.)

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The RCC did abolish the subdiaconate in 1972, but at Solemn Masses in the Extraordinary Form, using the 1962 Roman Missal, a cleric still acts as subdeacon. More often than not, the cleric (before and after Vatican II) is not actually a subdeacon, but is a priest acting as a subdeacon of the Mass. The same goes for the deacon of the Mass. The cleric in question here is a Norbertine Father, web page, and this order wears a white habit, and biretta, on the occasions when they might be used.

Also, the orders whose charism is to celebrate only the 1962 missal, such as the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, and the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest, have permission to continue the minor orders and subdiaconate. As a result, they have ordination ceremonies where a bishop ordains them to each of these orders.

[ 30. July 2015, 19:26: Message edited by: Ceremoniar ]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Does use of the Benedictine office count as part of the extraordinary rite?

Was there a generally accepted Vat II revision it?

PS The OSB doesn't have permission to use the 1962 missal, does it? Or are Benedictine abbeys liturgically autonomous?? So it looks like someone dressing up as a subdeacon. Very high church C of E.

[ 31. July 2015, 07:38: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
any priest of the Roman rite has the permission to use the 1962 Missal,if his parishioners wish it.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does use of the Benedictine office count as part of the extraordinary rite? Was there a generally accepted Vat II revision it?

Yes. The successor to the Breviarium Monasticum is the Thesaurus Liturgiae Horarum Monasticae of 1977. It's a "treasury" or directory of materials according to which a Benedictine monastery may construct its own Office. There are certain basic requirements as to number of offices, elements required in each office, psalm distribution schemas, minimum of 75 psalms per week, etc., but lots of options.

The TLHM is available (all in Latin) online here.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Was Farnborough using the old one though? 4 psalms, reading, office hymn, Magnificat.

I was expecting to recognise the tune to the office hymn, which I would have thought was Creator Alma Sidera (or as we schismatics call it Creator of the stars of night). Was it a different hymn or tune?

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Forgive my illiteracy in Latin. Conditor alme siderum, not what I said above.

I've just looked it up in my Solesmes Antiphonale and the tune is the same as in dear old English Hymnal.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

From Farnborough Abbey's website:

" For the Mass, both the Ordinary and Extraordinary forms of the Roman Rite are employed. The community has an indult from the Holy See which regulates certain monastic usages of the 1962 missal.

The liturgy is, as the Second Vatican Council reminds us, the ‘source and summit’ of the Christian life."

So they have permission for subdeacons presumably, which would explain the tunicle.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

What's an indult please?

The automatic spellchecker tried to convert it to insult, by the way.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
What's an indult please?

A favor granted by the Apostolic See (the Pope or a congregation) that is an exception to the law.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016