homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm a bit confused by LeRoc's link - when I click on it, this is what comes up - a games site?

If you click on the jpg link (just under "Download") it will open a picture of where he was.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All I get below the "download" button is an advert for vapour cigarettes.

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess something went wrong with the tempsend link. It should have stayed there for a week. Sorry about that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I guess something went wrong with the tempsend link. It should have stayed there for a week. Sorry about that.

OK - so where did you go? [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in Brazil for an extended Christmas holiday. As some of you know, I have a house there. (The question "where do I live?" is a bit difficult for me to answer right now, as I'm travelling a lot between Brazil, the UK and Africa at the moment. I guess I consider Brazil my home.)

I posted a picture I made myself, but it was a bit like this.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am indecently proud of myself.

Improbable as it may sound, we had leftover Champagne (because had to have it for the galette but didn’t want to get completely sozzled on a work night).

I give you: roasted cod steak with beurre blanc au Champagne, served with risotto (made with fish stock). I used a ring to make a perfect circle of the risotto, with the fish on top and the sauce spooned over and even made a balsamic reduction to decorate the plate. The balsamic reduction actually was necessary, I think, because white plate – white risotto – white fish is all a bit samey. OTOH I also discovered that making it stinks, eeew boiling vinegar [Eek!] .

This is the one and only time in my life I have looked at something I cooked and thought “this plate looks like it was served in a fancy restaurant”.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you took a picture!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite right, BC - we can't have her bragging like that without photographic evidence ... [Devil]

We had a v. good lunch yesterday in a new-ish "boutique" hotel called JAG; I very rarely order cod in restaurants, but I had roasted cod on a bed of warm potato salad with tomatoes, olives and arugula and it was absolutely ace. D. had moose masala, which was equally delicious.

Mine came in one of those cast-iron skillet thingies set on a board, and his in a balti-dish, but this in no way detracted from our enjoyment. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Relaxing now in the cool of the evening ( 22degrees) with a glass of the red stuff to hand. Went to Hout Bay this am and had lunch there. A decxent sized King Clip plus chips plus 2 glasses of the red stuff cost me £10. No spinach in sight. I had hoped I might bump into Michaela Strachan from Springwatch who lives in Hout Bay but she obviously hadnt heard I was in town. Ahh well, you only win some.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hasten to add they were only small glasses.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I have no idea what a King Clip is, but anything that includes two glasses of South African red stuff for £10 sounds pretty good to me. [Smile]

One of our favourite restaurants (sadly now defunct) when we lived in Belfast used to sell very nice Red Stuff called Cape Bay Pinotage, which we liked so much I think we actually drank them dry of it ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a local fish, piglet. I would have gone for a chenin blanc myself.

I have particularly fond memories of the hotel/wine estate where I've stayed several times where it was practically coming out of the taps. The wine that is, not the fish. That would have been worrying.

[ 11. January 2016, 15:21: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A somewhat belated Happy New Year!

Christmas seems like a very long time ago - I've been back at school a full week now, although I've still not had a full class of children! Here's hoping all the sick ones recover.

Reading all about people's lovely food - I was out on Friday night, and ate far too much, though it was all lovely. Ed's Diner first of all for burger, chips, onion rings, coleslaw etc, then on to the Haagen Daaz cafe for ice cream. Then I had to walk very carefully back to the station, as I was feeling very very full. Worth it though.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It's a local fish, piglet. I would have gone for a chenin blanc myself ...

With a fish dish, I think I would too. I once mistakenly paired salmon with a glass of red wine, and the effect was most unpleasant - each made the other taste of iron-filings. [Frown]

After about a week when it's been more-or-less too cold for meaningful sn*w, the temperature's crept up above 0° and the rain they've been promising us is finally tipping down, which is a Good Thing: the more residual sn*w it shifts, the better.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The nearest thing o red wine that I have had with fish was a Touraine Rose. That was a fairly dry wine and went well with Zander (pike-perch) in a creamy sauce. Then again, that is probably my favourite fish.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was that in Hungary? That's the only place I've ever eaten Zander.

Brown trout is good with Pinot Gris, or perhaps Muscadet although that might be too dry.

Portuguese cod with Vinho Verde (well-chilled) is great, but not to everyone's taste.

[ 12. January 2016, 08:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cod can go surprisingly well with certain red wines.

In the 19th arrondissement there is an amazing restaurant run by the Compagnons du devoir – a sort of semi-masonic organisation the main ethic of which revolves around hard work and a job well done. They consider that one should work not just to earn money, but in order to be a useful member of society. For that reason, their restaurant is relatively inexpensive (23€ for three courses IIRC) and very, very delicious.

They serve a dish which is cod cooked in red wine. It works extremely well.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Was that in Hungary? That's the only place I've ever eaten Zander.

Brown trout is good with Pinot Gris, or perhaps Muscadet although that might be too dry.

Portuguese cod with Vinho Verde (well-chilled) is great, but not to everyone's taste.

It was in France, probably ten miles from the winery and the fish could have come from even closer.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Angel]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Somewhat Interesting Weather™ here today; it started to sn*w just after D's lunch-time organ recital, and the schools in and around St. John's were closed for the afternoon (not quite sure why, as by the time it started, the kids would have been only about half-an-hour from going home anyway).

It then turned to freezing rain (which is really horrid) and then to ordinary rain (which is good, as it might clear away the sn*w), so although it's forecast to freeze again overnight, there's little likelihood of a sn*w-day tomorrow.

What I do have tomorrow is an early start: one of my colleagues phoned this evening to say that my boss has called a meeting for 8:30 in the morning (I don't usually start until 10), and my presence is required. As I'm a nocturnal piglet, this doesn't make me happy at all.

Oh well, I suppose it'll be an hour or two in the holiday bank - better go and get some sleep ... [Snore]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogielet 2 is home this week, he's soinf Airbus A320 simulator work. They do this twice a year to practise things they can't in real life (hopefully) like a fire in the hold/engine failure/etc.

Trust our heating to pack in when there are four of us in the house and it's snowing outside! The bloke is coming to look at it tomorrow.

I'm off to puppy class this morning [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

It's snowing in England? Not seeing anything here in MK.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had our first snow of the year in Stirling (mid-Scotland) yesterday, it settled and is still here this morning but is only a light dusting really so hopefully won't cause too much chaos. Yesterday evening when I was driving home from picking up the Elf Lass from nursery it felt a bit hairy even though the snow wasn't deep, as it was still coming down thick and fast so I had to keep my wits about me driving in the dark. Her nursery is a mile down a country lane which most of the time is brilliant as she sees lots of horses/tractors/etc and gets all that fresh air, but when it snows I'm always nervous as the road is a bit on the bendy side and drivers do tend to hare down it a bit too fast for my liking.

We're hopefully going out for a walk later today, I'm hoping she'll sleep in the buggy (that's the plan, although she's less likely to co-operate these days - 2 year old prerogative, apparently) but will pack her wellies and padded clothes just in case she insists on walking.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No snow here either, though apparently they had it in Bicester this morning and it wasn't forecast. I think it's the only place in the county that got any snow.

[ 14. January 2016, 11:12: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No snow in London today, though my aunt in Brighton had some last night. Not sure how much, though.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You rarely do in MK. Something to do with its position relative to the Chilterns, I seem to remember.
I do recall one day when it did snow quite heavily, on a Friday afternoon, I think. Offices closed early, everyone left at the same time and suddenly all the roads around the centre were gridlocked. It took me 45 minutes to drive from the centre to somewhere near Oldbrook (usually a 5 minute drive if that) and finally I had to abandon the car in a carpark and walk home. (In my defence I usually had to drive around visiting schools during the day so I had to have my car with me. Otherwise I'd have walked to work!)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Met Office is now warning of snow, sleet and rain in Wales, S/W England and the West Midlands. I expect we'll see some snow hereabouts but doubt it will settle. Some cars will probably arrive tomorrow proudly bearing a couple of inches of show.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We haven't had any snow just ICE everywhere. Allegedly the main roads have been gritted and salted but yesterday the roads were so bad that three school buses were in separate accidents (i don't think anyone was hurt). As a result this morning quite a few school decided to open later but that doesn't help those of us who work in other places... Yesterday and today I was an hour late to work because that's how late my bus was. Hopefully we won't get too many more icy days (doesn't help that we also get rain to make extra ice).

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As forecast, last night's rain has frozen in Patches of Treachery™, probably because we didn't put any salt down on the steps. [Frown]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

My sister arrived from Knysna to spend 3 days with 7s in Cape Town. Tomorrow off early in the morning for a conducted tour of kirstenbosch Gardens after which we may go along the coastal road towards Cape Point.

I see from my tablet that Caddington had snow today.We had sunshine here - again!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a bright and frosty morning here with just a light dusting on Blackford Hill. But we saw several cars with impressive coatings of snow - presumably in from the Alpine fastnesses of Penicuik or the like.

The weather app thinks it might snow here tomorrow and fersure it's going to snow Monday.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At last! Proper winter's coming. Not that I like all the slippy stuff, but I do like my climate to have a place for everything, and everything in its place.

Although I had to look at the weather warning twice - the first time I read it, I saw it as "Warning of yellow snow"! [Eek!]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sioni, you live much nearer the coast. Climate can be very localised - I worked in Merthyr, which is a lot higher than my town, and the difference could be quite noticeable. Mind, there were times when Darllenwr worked at the Mint when his colleagues couldn't understand why he had had difficulty getting in, and it's common to hear of people working in Cardiff having to explain why they can't get in from the Valleys.
Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got out of the car this evening in a country village into a night of burning cold and no street lights, only a sickle moon and the stars for illumination. But the sky was lit up with a wonder of constellations - Orion, and the Plough, and so many other winter stars, all in a vast net spanning the heavens, and it was even possible to see galaxies, and the kinds of stars you never see in a town because of the haze of light. My fingers went numb pretty quickly but the sight of the night sky was breathtaking.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
quote:

You rarely do in MK. Something to do with its position relative to the Chilterns, I seem to remember.
I do recall one day when it did snow quite heavily, on a Friday afternoon, I think. Offices closed early, everyone left at the same time and suddenly all the roads around the centre were gridlocked. It took me 45 minutes to drive from the centre to somewhere near Oldbrook (usually a 5 minute drive if that) and finally I had to abandon the car in a carpark and walk home. (In my defence I usually had to drive around visiting schools during the day so I had to have my car with me. Otherwise I'd have walked to work!)

Apparently it snowed for 15 minutes this morning. I missed it.
I remember that occasion Dormouse. Mr Bee needed to, er, go, and it took his bladder a long time to recover from the trauma of holding on during such an unexpectedly long journey.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Sioni, you live much nearer the coast. Climate can be very localised - I worked in Merthyr, which is a lot higher than my town, and the difference could be quite noticeable. Mind, there were times when Darllenwr worked at the Mint when his colleagues couldn't understand why he had had difficulty getting in, and it's common to hear of people working in Cardiff having to explain why they can't get in from the Valleys.

Very local indeed! Cardiff is about 15 miles west of Newport and the weather *always* changes en route, unless the weather is at one extreme or the other.

As for not being able to get in from the valleys, it's tricky "up the hill" where we are, less than 200' ASL but barely a mile from central Newport, as we get sn*w when it's merely wet in town and we're on a road that makes an excellent toboggan run!

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

Just off to Kirstenbosch Gardens. They apparently have a rope walkway slung high between the trewss which sould be interesting. A challenge to my vertigo. Its just down the road from here.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Do you mean something like this, Shamwari?

If so, rather you than me! [Eek!]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

In the event it was nothing like that Piglet. The bridge did run along the tree tops but it was as solid as could be. Steel stanchions, wooden walkway and safe as houses. The gardens are superb. They got a Kew Gardens expert in at the beginning and they now rival ( and better) anything that Kew can offer. Had lunch in the restaurent and I had fish ( spinach on the menu again !!) but the portions were huge. Now having a (very quiet ) evening as the rest of the family are out galivanting. The social life they lead is way beyond my ability to endure.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Our heating remains orf! They are waiting for a part, apparently. It takes me back to the days before central heating, as it has been below freezing outside all day - brrrrrrrr!

My son is visiting this week. It's been very pleasant. We went out for a meal yesterday evening and will enjoy a bottle of red this evening. (Watch that diet Boogie!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's definitely not the weather to be without heating. I was in Bradford today and they had gritted the pavements. There was a layer of ice outside the media museum, which is where I went to watch The Revenant (Leonardo DiCaprio vs a bear) which is 2hrs of solid wintry weather. Brr.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A couple of years ago, just after New Year and before we were back at w*rk, something went very wrong with Newfoundland Hydro, and the entire island was without electricity for a whole weekend.

A weekend when the outside temperature was hovering around -10°C. And the only form of heating chez Piglet is electricity ...

I know I'm far more likely to complain of being too hot than too cold, but even I was feeling it more than a touch brrrrrrr. [Eek!]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Just waiting for the promised snow to arrive; it's due after dark. The roads have already been unpleasantly icy and after seeing a cyclist crash onto the car park on black ice the other morning I'm not risking the steep hills and bends outside town for now.

Walking down the street this morning, I was amused to see a young Polish couple, swathed in thick coats and woolly hats and looking distinctly chilly, sitting out at a table on their tiny balcony, having coffee and a cigarette as they chatted, for all the world as if it was spring. But good for them for being brave enough to do it at all in winter.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cold here too - according to the Met Office we are in the middle of the promised 100 mile wide strip of snow and ice...getting up tomorrow morning and leaving the house at 7.30am will not be pleasant, and neither will be walking to church on ungritted pavements.
Has anyone discovered boots which actually grip on ungritted pavements? Since breaking my ankle 18 months ago I am rather more nervous of slips and falls...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Has anyone discovered boots which actually grip on ungritted pavements?

A couple of years ago I discovered a sort of rubber overshoe with studs which you just slip on over your normal footwear and enables you to walk on snow and ice without breaking your neck.

There's a variety of these around. As soon as you get onto non-snow/ice, just whisk them off, stuff them into your bag and carry on.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We use these (I use the 'walk' model, TME uses the 'pro' model - we both think they're great). Honestly, the best £14.99 I ever spent. I am one of those with quite a penchant for comedy falls, but I have never felt even remotely skiddy when I've had them on (you just have to remember to take them off if you are indoors or on a bit of pavement where there isn't ice). This week we've had a bit of snow, which has become compacted, and I feel completely confident walking on it wearing these.

[No they aren't paying me - but I do really rate them!]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went up to Brecon today. I've never seen so many cars parked near Storey Arms, there were lots of people tobogganing and a steady stream of people climbing Penyfan.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a great believer in Doc Martens, especially when they're new and stompy, but the price appears to have increased by £30-40 in the couple of years since I got my last pair. Might have to look for an acceptable alternative.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The ground here at the moment is vacillating between crunchy snow and Patches of Treachery™, so flat shoes or boots should probably be the order of the day.

Having said that, I got a pair of these in the sales just before Christmas (they were actually my Christmas pressie from D.) and they're so comfortable, and so me that I've been braving the treachery in them (the soles and heels do have quite good traction control).

At this time of year, I rarely walk more than the length of myself anyway, as it tends to be fairly unpleasant underfoot ... [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 16. January 2016, 22:25: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

Wonderful evening out last night courtesy of son and DIL. We went for a meal ( Italian) and then to the theatre to see Swan Lake on Ice. An international Touring Company (mostly E. Europeans) performed wonderfully well. I have only watched ice skating routines at Winter Olympics ( on TV) before. This was something special. Wonderfully athletic dancing, familiar tunes, great special effects made it an extraordinary evening. Ice skating enables a fluidity and speed beyond normal dancing. It was quite special.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016