homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies to Swiss Shipmate - it was a Christmas card!

DUH!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was really early for your birthday card. [Killing me]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even if I were a Bath Person rather than a Shower Person, reading wouldn't be practical as I'd have my contact lenses out, and if the water was hot enough to be of any use, spectacles would get steamed up.

Then again, I don't read in bed either: there just isn't a position in which I can get comfortable to do it. My reading is done on the sofa.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Ah, there are ways round this - dipping them in hot water before you get in the bath, certain sprays etc - but possibly the best way is to put on an audiobook or the news quiz on bbc iplayer [Smile]

Might I kindly suggest the 'News Quiz Extra', from Radio 4 Extra? It comes at an extravagant length of 45 minutes, and many extra bits left out of the regular version. - It's available the following Tuesday. Once you've listenend to that, you'll never want to go back to News Quiz Proper! So much more fun! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

(ETA appropriately enthusiastic smiley!)

[ 28. January 2016, 10:17: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not even quite the end of January and we're already up to a storm name beginning with G. How are we going to get through the rest of the year, and will there be a Storm Xerxes?

I've been playing Piglet's online Scrabble game. It won't let me have words like "Bited" or "Fowlee" (if you can have a fowler, surely there must be a fowlee, no?) but otherwise very enjoyable. Have got to Assistant level so far. [Cool]

Anyway, baths are good because you can have a range of bubble baths. I've never been keen on the ones that smell too much like food (who wants to emerge smelling like chocolate?), but there are plenty of good ones about.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I very rarely get above 2000 points* in the three rounds you get in the online game; having said that I just played a game and got 232 points for the word EXAMINATIONS.

Who's a clever little piglet? [Cool]

* which takes you to the rank of "Initiate"; I think for that many points you ought to be at least "Assistant Librarian". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Our esteemed weather forecastists don't seem to know whether they're coming or going: for the last few days, they were telling us that from today to tomorrow (Friday-Saturday) we'd be getting about a foot of snow*. Even the Council must have taken it under their notice, as they cleared the heaps from around the streets over the last couple of nights.

However, this morning all they're threatening is "scattered flurries" for this afternoon and about 6" of snow, turning to rain. Actually, I'd say 6" was a bit more than a scattered flurry, but what would I know? [Big Grin]

* about the most useless combination imaginable: enough snow to make getting about a complete pain in the ear after I've finished w*rk on a Friday so no possibility of a snow-day.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I very rarely get above 2000 points* in the three rounds you get in the online game; having said that I just played a game and got 232 points for the word EXAMINATIONS.

[Overused] I'm in awe. The little Scrabble character must have gone utterly berserk with joy. Fantastic stroke of luck getting that one.

I managed to clock up 1227 last night so will see how this evening goes.

Just thinking about dinner. I've been thinking about getting a Chinese takeaway all day but think I may cook my own, with egg fried rice.

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Not even quite the end of January and we're already up to a storm name beginning with G. How are we going to get through the rest of the year, and will there be a Storm Xerxes?

They've been naming them since october, so presumably they'll start again at A next october.

Here's their list of names anyway.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I've been playing Piglet's online Scrabble game. It won't let me have words like "Bited" or "Fowlee" (if you can have a fowler, surely there must be a fowlee, no?) but otherwise very enjoyable. Have got to Assistant level so far. [Cool]

Ahem. Because I needed more distractions on the Internet... Thank you [Biased]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry about that, Ferijen. [Devil]

We had a couple of friends round for supper this evening (hence my very late appearance by the Saintly Teapot).

As it was a very informal sort of do, I decided to go completely retro and did chilli con carne, rice, garlic bread and salad. I reckon it was the first time I'd made a herb-and-garlic loaf (the sort where you cut it not quite through and spread the butter in between the slices) in about 30 years.

I'd never done it with a loaf that I'd made myself before though ... [Cool]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused] Domestic Goddess Piglet [Overused]

A flying return visit to the Mall this morning to pick up some Mascarpone and a block of Parmesan then held up on the way back by a march of the fascists - there were possibly 20 of them but that is still 20 too many! Some of their utterances make Donald Trump seem completely reasonable!

I feel a pasta dish coming on sometime soon with a Mascarpone and Gorgonzola sauce and with a little zing of chilli.

We like food.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Welease Woderwick: I feel a pasta dish coming on sometime soon with a Mascarpone and Gorgonzola sauce and with a little zing of chilli.
This is my permanent state of being [Big Grin] Enjoy!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Morning all [Smile] I'm currently enjoying toast for breakfast, with my friend's home-made marmalade. Delicious!

Life has been somewhat stressful recently, but I seem to finally be learning to deal with it well by giving myself plenty of downtime on difficult days.

I also had a lovely trip out in the week to Lates at the Science Museum in London - once a month, they open in the evening, and it's adults only with all kinds of interesting talks and things to make and do. Plus, they sell alcohol all over the museum, so this time I had the pleasure of talking to one of the guys working on the Philae lander while sipping a G and T. [Big Grin]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, remind me not to play scrabble with you - I got 256. For the whole game.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
moonfruit: I had the pleasure of talking to one of the guys working on the Philae lander while sipping a G and T. [Big Grin]
That's at least 20 cool points.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

Aha. My secret is to avoid words that score less than 30 points minimum. The game can take longer but I like seeing the little character do his dance. I'm not up to Piglet's standard though.

Fun day in Oxford yesterday, lunch at Le Petit Blanc and a climb up the tower of St Michael at the North Gate, which is the gentlest of the three towers open to the public. I've done it before, but my friend hadn't, despite having spent most of his life in Oxford. You get a 360° panorama over the city and a realization that it nestles within a gentle valley, as you can see out to the countryside and hills. Also some small but pleasant discoveries locally and the enjoyment of foreshortened perspective as landmarks don't appear where you expect them to be.

Rounded off with a trip, as ever, to the Ashmolean to see some old favourite paintings. So a good day.

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Aha. My secret is to avoid words that score less than 30 points minimum. The game can take longer but I like seeing the little character do his dance. I'm not up to Piglet's standard though.

Fun day in Oxford yesterday, lunch at Le Petit Blanc and a climb up the tower of St Michael at the North Gate, which is the gentlest of the three towers open to the public. I've done it before, but my friend hadn't, despite having spent most of his life in Oxford. You get a 360° panorama over the city and a realization that it nestles within a gentle valley, as you can see out to the countryside and hills. Also some small but pleasant discoveries locally and the enjoyment of foreshortened perspective as landmarks don't appear where you expect them to be.

Rounded off with a trip, as ever, to the Ashmolean to see some old favourite paintings. So a good day.

Wow! I like that idea of finding words with min 30 points. I'm lucky if I get 3 letters. But practice practice and I need a new toy given I've just uninstalled Candy Crush Jelly and Soda!

The trip in Oxford sounds heavenly. It's on my list of things to do, one day I'll go to the Ashmolean.

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The trip in Oxford sounds heavenly. It's on my list of things to do, one day I'll go to the Ashmolean.

If you do get over Oxford way, let us know on here and a Ship-Meet might be possible! I would say that the Ashmolean really needs a day to itself - my usual tactic is to choose an area I haven't been into for a while and amble round it. (Except for the week when I was helping someone shepherd Year 5 classes round it... [Ultra confused] )

Despite the greyness of the weather I'm in a good mood. We have our first flowers in the garden. [Yipee] A large pot of snowdrops have started to bloom. Maybe by the end of next winter I'll have a tree ready to plant them under.

(edited as even with preview I still missed a typo!)

[ 31. January 2016, 14:38: Message edited by: Celtic Knotweed ]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Fun day in Oxford yesterday, lunch at Le Petit Blanc and a climb up the tower of St Michael at the North Gate, which is the gentlest of the three towers open to the public.

Have you tried the cupola of the Sheldonian? A very easy climb, a look at Wren's fascinating roof, and then hidden views of the historic heart of the place (it seems that I am learning to love it again... funny, that!). BTW, CK, put the kettle on please, I fancy a brew.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Have you tried the cupola of the Sheldonian? A very easy climb, a look at Wren's fascinating roof, and then hidden views of the historic heart of the place (it seems that I am learning to love it again... funny, that!).

Yes, I missed Oxford a lot once I left. I haven't been up the cupola of the Sheldonian. I haven't done Carfax Tower yet either; the stairs always put me off and these days I seem to have less of a head for heights, but it might be worth a go one day. St Mary the Virgin has great views if you can stand the endless narrow spiral staircases (there isn't room for people to pass each other coming up and down) and the vertiginousness of it.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oxford is on my bucket list as somewhere I want to visit properly.

I managed a couple of things this weekend which amused me A weekend trip to Brighton meant I got to properly explore it. I saw the new i360 in construction, the Lanes and all sorts of things I've heard of and never seen. Plus I went to see ISIHAC* at the Brighton Dome.

I've been to Brighton a few times on the back of a vintage (1938 Dennis?) fire engine for the Historic Commercial Vehicle London to Brighton run and rally but never got to explore Brighton as the group I was with just headed us to a pub and that's how we spent the time between arriving and the return journey. It is held in November and was memorably cold as I was volunteered to travel there and back on the fire engine, rather than the support vehicle, because I dressed for winter sailing and had enough clothes on, unlike most of the others.

ISIHAC was interesting. I partly wanted to see it after a discussion on here, where I'd said I felt it was scripted and was told otherwise. But having seen it live, I'd say 80% scripted. I could see the scripts in their hands for most sections of the show and there were no give away pauses, note passing or anecdotes to cover thinking time you see on unscripted live shows. (Miles Jupp was there in place of Graeme Garden and did that trick of shuffling his script pages, then standing them on end to pat them into a neat pile.) It didn't stop it being very funny.

*I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - the origin of Mornington Crescent.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
quote:

Aha. My secret is to avoid words that score less than 30 points minimum. The game can take longer but I like seeing the little character do his dance. I'm not up to Piglet's standard though ...
I have had an embarrassing amount of practice ... [Hot and Hormonal] I like it when he does his 40+ points dance, and gets excited if you get a word of seven or more letters.

I don't know Oxford at all - I've been there once and all I can remember was that I was suffering from a filthy headache at the time, and we went into a pub so that I could get a glass of water to put down a couple of paracetamol. Not really the introduction to a place that one would choose. [Frown]

Because D. comes from East Anglia (and did his PGCE in Cambridge) we've always gone for the Light Blue: if we're there when the choirs are singing, a pilgrimage to King's and/or St. John's for Evensong is de rigueur.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Plus I went to see ISIHAC* at the Brighton Dome.

How the Hell did you manage to get tickets?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Have you tried the cupola of the Sheldonian? A very easy climb, a look at Wren's fascinating roof, and then hidden views of the historic heart of the place (it seems that I am learning to love it again... funny, that!).

Yes, I missed Oxford a lot once I left. I haven't been up the cupola of the Sheldonian. I haven't done Carfax Tower yet either; the stairs always put me off and these days I seem to have less of a head for heights, but it might be worth a go one day. St Mary the Virgin has great views if you can stand the endless narrow spiral staircases (there isn't room for people to pass each other coming up and down) and the vertiginousness of it.
I lived in and around Oxford for years but did very little of the tourist stuff. I'm looking forward to rediscovering the place when we move back to the area in the summer. Maybe I'll go and climb up the various towers!

I used to work very close to the Ashmolean museum so would sometimes go in at lunchtime to wander around, seeing different sections of it in bite sized chunks! One of the good thing about free entry to museums - you don't feel you have to do it all in one go. I don't know if it is still free these days?

I remember when Le Petit Blanc opened! I haven't been there for years either, perhaps another place I shall need to re-acquaint myself with!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Because D. comes from East Anglia (and did his PGCE in Cambridge) we've always gone for the Light Blue: if we're there when the choirs are singing, a pilgrimage to King's and/or St. John's for Evensong is de rigueur.

I went to Cambridge once, about 25 years ago. It struck me as being more like Oxford than Oxford was, if you know what I mean. As it wasn't the easiest of journeys from Oxford (convoluted rail or lengthy bus) I haven't done it since.

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
I used to work very close to the Ashmolean museum so would sometimes go in at lunchtime to wander around, seeing different sections of it in bite sized chunks! One of the good thing about free entry to museums - you don't feel you have to do it all in one go. I don't know if it is still free these days?

Yes it is, but the museum has been extensively rebuilt inside so it won't be as you remember. I also used to live and work in the area, and remember Le Petit Blanc opening, though I can't now remember whether it was cars or a piano salesroom before.

Let us know if you feel like a shipmeet when you're back. There are usually prix fixe menus in some good places which are value for money, and special offers pop up now and again.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

I reckon CK has cultivated an Inside Track. Not easy mind, I think you have to attend a whole series of "Quote, Unquote" to get into the ballot for a recording of ISIHAC.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I think you have to attend a whole series of "Quote, Unquote" to get into the ballot for a recording of ISIHAC.

Isn't there an easier way? Like measuring the grass height at Eastbourne bowls club every hour, whilst also checking on the relative wetness of the paint in the toilets?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Let us know if you feel like a shipmeet when you're back. There are usually prix fixe menus in some good places which are value for money, and special offers pop up now and again.

Yes, I like the idea of Shipmeet! The only time I've met up with any Shippies was at Greenbelt a few years ago. Might have to wait until we've got our life in order a bit. I can't quite imagine what it is going to be like living in the UK again after 10 years away! (Even though we've been back to visit each summer) What do you UK based shipmates think will be the biggest changes we notice?

[ 01. February 2016, 12:21: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What do you UK based shipmates think will be the biggest changes we notice?

It used to rain a lot - now it rains all the time!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I could say that about the last time we were in Cambridge. It absolutely chucked it down all day, and because there was some kind of University thing going on at King's, the queue to get in to Evensong went from the Chapel entrance to the porter's gate halfway down the next side of the quad.

I was a very soggy piglet by the time we got in, but it was worth it.

Usually the weather phenomenon I associate with Cambridge is cold - the wind there comes straight from Siberia - but I don't mind; if I'm well wrapped up I love Cambridge on a crisp, dry, cold November day.

[Smile]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Terry Wogan won't be doing Children In Need... [Frown]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

I reckon CK has cultivated an Inside Track. Not easy mind, I think you have to attend a whole series of "Quote, Unquote" to get into the ballot for a recording of ISIHAC.
I paid for them. ISIHAC is a paid for ticket I am on the mailing list and Brighton is the nearest possible date I could make.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

An Englishman visiting from the USA who'd been living there for some years remarked on how multicultural it had become.

I think it's also become quite a lot more security conscious than it used to be. CCTV is almost everywhere now, as well as a more visible police presence in cities, and bag searches at tourist attractions. The armed police at major railway stations can be disconcerting but they are also reassuring.

Alternatively, the first thing you notice might be the weather: there seem to be a lot more weather warnings, gales, storms, floods and so on than there used to be.

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Changes in UK over 10 years - what an interesting heavenly-esque q.

Very difficult to determine as the changes have al crept upon us by inches and so we won't have noticed the difference.

Shops. No more Woolworths, more poundland and more Tescos. Nearly every town in England has Tescos.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

My last time that I was in the UK was longer ago, but one of the big differences I saw coming back is that all pubs are now part of chains.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Yes, I like the idea of Shipmeet! The only time I've met up with any Shippies was at Greenbelt a few years ago. Might have to wait until we've got our life in order a bit. I can't quite imagine what it is going to be like living in the UK again after 10 years away! (Even though we've been back to visit each summer) What do you UK based shipmates think will be the biggest changes we notice?
After just three years away in the mid-nineties I returned and immediately thought "Have they all forgotten how to drive???" Maybe it's a function of crowded roads, higher performance cars, young people with money, old people still driving but, whatever, driving had got worse. And we had been living beside the Mediterranean.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
My last time that I was in the UK was longer ago, but one of the big differences I saw coming back is that all pubs are now part of chains.

No, not all. But it's heading that way.
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As someone who has recently returned to England after 13 years in Scotland...
There are a lot of speed cameras. And the ambulances are really really day-glo bright. And there seems to be a bit of a thing for tribute acts (still) in that they seem to be able to fill venues that the acts themselves would struggle with. And the food is much better than I remember!

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been visiting England as a tourist for about 25 years (I think this coming summer will be my 13th time). Sometimes people who visit occasionally notice things that people who live there don't, because they happen gradually. I think the biggest differences I've noticed over the years are the increased number of chain stores, and stores that are open on Sundays.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Every time we come "home" we seem to notice more new buildings: Kirkwall, where I grew up, has ballooned in the 28 years since we left. The town centre hasn't changed all that much (they're hardly going to dismantle a 12th-century cathedral [Big Grin] ) but on the periphery a new road or row of new houses always seems to have sprung up since last time.

I'd agree that the eateries have improved: these days even fairly ordinary-looking pubs in England serve very good food (and mostly at very reasonable prices), and there are a few excellent restaurant chains.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
No more Woolworths, more poundland and more Tescos. Nearly every town in England has Tescos.

On a tangent, there seems to be a peculiar British thing that we put an S on the end of supermarket names for some reason. I've also heard people refer to Aldis, Lidls, Asdas and in the old days Safeways when they were still around. Oddly, it never seems to happen to Waitrose though. Maybe they're too posh for that sort of thing.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's because of Sainsbury's. That's how their company logo has it.

[ 02. February 2016, 07:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Sainsbury's makes sense as its someone's name, as is Morrison.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's a good point: now that I think about it, I would refer to "Tesco's" (and probably Lidl's and Aldi's), but not to "Costco's".

I suppose the fact that Waitrose ends with an "s" sound makes it seem like a possessive already.

I wonder if their greengrocery department spells it "Waitro's"? [Devil]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I do my shopping at Co-op's.

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

I hadn't spotted the rogue "S". Have I sinned by missing an apostrophe out of some of them??
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I hadn't spotted the rogue "S". Have I sinned by missing an apostrophe out of some of them??

If the "S" shouldn't be there no one should worry about a missing grocer's apostrophe.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Aargh! I'm already wondering how I will ever get used to British weather again! On the rare occasions that we might get a few days in a row with rain here I've had enough of it by day 5 at the most!

quote:
An Englishman visiting from the USA who'd been living there for some years remarked on how multicultural it had become.

I think it's also become quite a lot more security conscious than it used to be. CCTV is almost everywhere now, as well as a more visible police presence in cities, and bag searches at tourist attractions. The armed police at major railway stations can be disconcerting but they are also reassuring.

Multicultural is fine with us! I think after the experience of living overseas for 10 years we would find monocultural quite weird!

Sadly we are also very used to being security conscious. After the various terrorist attacks we've had here in Tunisia last year we are used to police with guns around. There is an armed police presence outside our kid's school gate and even outside the church on a Sunday... (This comes under the heading of things I am not going to miss from here!)

quote:
After just three years away in the mid-nineties I returned and immediately thought "Have they all forgotten how to drive???" Maybe it's a function of crowded roads, higher performance cars, young people with money, old people still driving but, whatever, driving had got worse. And we had been living beside the Mediterranean.

I suspect it will still have some way to go to compete with Tunisian driving. More to the point we will need to remember to drive in the British way! If we drove in the UK the way we do here I suspect we would be liable to either cause an accident or provoke a road rage incident...

Thank you for all your other comments. On our summer visits I too had noticed how many of the same shop chains are everywhere! And now all the supermarkets seem to have their mini stores all over the place as well as the giant superstores.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Following a particularly manic January, we took ourselves off for a long weekend in Bordeaux.

The weather was filthy. Consequently we spent much time on the inside of various eateries [Big Grin] . I had been sick with a nasty virus thing and not wanted to eat much of anything last week, but over the weekend well and truly got my appetite back. I highly recommend a completely unexceptional looking brasserie near the cathedral where for the princely sum of 13 euros you can get steak and chips, dessert and coffee. 'Twas yummy.

Sunday we saw some relatives. This also involved patronising a restaurant and sampling the local booze. I am now completely fooded out.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016