homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Boogie: Nearly two weeks now and still our boiler is out of action.
In the Netherlands you have 24/7 service for this kind of thing.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boiling a kettle for hot water may be an old-fashioned way of doing things, but it does work when you need it to. There have been occasions when I've had to resort to this.

[ 21. January 2016, 19:12: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But the amount of hot water is much less than needed. For a hairwash, just enough to supply a tepid bowlful for the lathering and after that it's cold rinsing.

At the moment, main use for water is setting bowls of it on the bedroom radiator. I hung new curtains yesterday and the consequent upturn in atmospheric dust has given me a sore throat and a racking cough (the headache, I think, comes from the resultant sleeplessness). And I do hate the Self Help pages which, once they've gone through the advice about gargling etc feel compelled to add that if you just vacuumed a bit more... Fine, here's nine rooms and a flight of stairs and either a cleaner that could feature in those Pull a Truck competitions, or one which is light but chokes to a halt after one or two rooms.

[ 21. January 2016, 19:52: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My first thought was 'wow-nine rooms!' then I counted ours and we have nine too!

But I do vacuum every single day [Angel] - two hairy dogs cause this state of affairs.

I usually soak in the bath for a good 40 minutes a day as I have psoriasis - my skin is now shouting out for a lovely long bath.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very damp here in Narnia today. It's spurring me to think I probably should get on to hiring someone to fix our leaky gutter- it drips over the flat roof on the bay window, causing a leak inside. I've had a couple of patch repairs done but it probably just needs the gutters redoing. I hate organising for work to be done, though. It is just so much faff and stress.

Hope your new boiler is in soon, Boogie!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We only have showers here, which is probably good in our climate. A good soak in a tub is an attractive feature of visiting UK occasionally but here would just make me feel even more sweaty!

We are back from the mountains, the days were warm enough but the nights were still quite cold [by my standards] - we did a very pleasant 2 hour walk around a tea plantation one days and a stroll around town the next day, also taking in bits of a wedding or 6!

Today a more local historic tour around the area taking in a church, an old and now ruined seminary, a synagogue, a mosque, a Jewish cemetery and finally a Hindu temple - all in the same village! A 14th Century local landowner got the Religious Diversity message centuries before most of the rest of the world!

We then had more food. Our guests seem to like our local fare.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never have baths of the bath tub kind; I hate them. I much prefer a shower.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Château Piglet has one bathroom with a shower and one with a bath; having his-and-hers suits us perfectly as I like showers and D. likes baths.

A year or two ago, D's bathroom developed Plumbing Issues and we had to make do with one for several months - no fun when you've become used to having My Bathroom and His Bathroom ... [Help]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have "dicing with death" electric showers here....which is great (the shower not the potential hazard) after a hot and sweaty day in the field like today.
But sometimes I really long for a nice hot bath filled with something that smells nice to relax in.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
MrsBeaky: We have "dicing with death" electric showers here....which is great (the shower not the potential hazard) after a hot and sweaty day in the field like today.
One of these exploded above my head once. Standing naked in a rain of sparks is, erm … interesting. Since then, whenever I'm in Brazil or Africa I shower cold.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc I think we had a conversation about this a couple of years ago- those showers sure are dodgy!
But here in the North Rift we are at such high altitude that it is often cold and a cold shower really would be a bridge too far!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to live in West Africa. On warm days our water was not particularly cold or refreshing as the pipes ran close to the ground surface. In the cool season, on the other hand, it was uncomfortably chilly.

In any case the supply was unpredictable. A colleague got into the shower one day, got nicely wet, turned off the shower and soaped all over. When he turned the tap again ... nothing.

We all kept 40-gallon drums of water in our bathroom to cover all eventualities, but they were a pain to fill (often at 2am!)

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nothing beats the pleasure of relaxing in a hot bath, ideally by candlelight, with bubble bath, and maybe even a book. You can't read in a shower, either.

There may be some people who find showers relaxing, but I tend to think of them as designed for busy people on the go. Also, they dry my skin and hair out to needing lotions and conditioners afterwards.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you wear reading glasses etc you can't read in the bath, either!

I can't remember the last time I took a bath...a long hot shower every morning is the way to go. I wish we had his and hers bathrooms, a la Chateau Piglet....

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
I can't remember the last time I took a bath...a long hot shower every morning is the way to go.

Same here -- I just don't see the appeal of a bath. I think the last time I used one was following eye surgery when I wasn't allowed to shower.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

I haven't found that a problem, personally.

I just don't see the appeal of a shower (in fact I wouldn't want to rent anywhere that was shower-only), but to judge from the ever-diminishing bubble bath and soap sections in the shops, more people seem to be buying shower gel than bath stuff and soap these days.

[ 23. January 2016, 07:06: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Why ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the first ten years that I lived in Paris I only had a walk-in shower because it was the only thing that would fit. Many Parisian buildings were built before running water was generalised and so the bathrooms are tiny.

Finally! I now have a tub and I have a bath every. single. day. Bliss.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I generally shower for speed, and also because it Wales me up in the morning, but I agree there is little to beat the joy of a long hot bath, especially with candles and a glass of wine.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
quote:

Why ?
Because they steam up and slip down your nose.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, there are ways round this - dipping them in hot water before you get in the bath, certain sprays etc - but possibly the best way is to put on an audiobook or the news quiz on bbc iplayer [Smile]

[ 23. January 2016, 18:31: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
I generally shower for speed, and also because it Wales me up in the morning, but I agree there is little to beat the joy of a long hot bath, especially with candles and a glass of wine.

I have never understood the barthroom candles thing - I just imagine I,ll either accidentally knock them in the bath or or burn some personal pheripheral [Eek!]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Depends on the candle.

Plain and simple - "hurricane glasses".

Pillar candle. The fatter kind of candles don't overbalance, and the flame doesn't usually reach the outer edges of the wax but will burn down leaving a kind of wax shell around the outside, and the light glows through that. This kind of candle doesn't really need a holder until it's been going for a bit, though you should always have one - a saucer would do. If there's any kind of draught in the area it will direct the flame.

The stained glass effect - there are lots of different holders for tealights.

And there's an entire range of scented candles in glasses.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
For the first ten years that I lived in Paris I only had a walk-in shower because it was the only thing that would fit. Many Parisian buildings were built before running water was generalised and so the bathrooms are tiny.

Finally! I now have a tub and I have a bath every. single. day. Bliss.

From what I have seen Parisian apartments are tiny, so one generally has a choice between a bath or a kitchen.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Chateau Piglet has one bathroom with a shower and one with a bath; having his-and-hers suits us perfectly as I like showers and D. likes baths.

When Mr S and I came to have the bathroom and the en-suite redone, we argued so much about what we wanted that in the end we agreed to disagree and I took the bathroom, he had the en-suite [Yipee]

While I like the occasional bath (after a hard day's gardening, f'rinstance) I think I've had one bath since then (> 2 years ago) as it takes So Damn Long to fill the bath and I am not the most patient person in the world. But as Piglet says, bliss to have your own space for ablutions!

Mrs. S, loving her own bathroom

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect that Château Piglet has been the victim of somewhat bodged renovations over the years. D's bathroom is on the top floor, with the bath below the slope of the roof, and would probably have been a more sensible site for a shower. I have trouble standing up in it, so I imagine it's a lot worse for him. [Big Grin]

Mine is on the middle floor, and has far more space, but for some reason a previous owner put a shower-stall in it, although there would be ample room for a bath. If money were no object (ho ho) we'd possibly have the fittings replaced in a more sensible order, but that'll have to wait until our numbers come up ...

It's that sort of house: it's probably somewhere over 120 years old* and was likely divided as a "rooming-house" in the past.

* quite a rarity in downtown St. John's - there was a huge fire in 1892 which devastated most of the city, but we think our house pre-dates it.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Oh, hell. The US snowstorm is heading our way, bringing rain and flood warnings and a possible 8" of rain.

Storm tracks can change but best to keep an eye on the forecasts over today and tomorrow. [Frown]

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I go to the gym four times a week

Thought you'd slip that one in to make the rest of us feel like lazy slobs, did you? [Biased] Sympathies about the cold, though, and the lack of baths. I mostly shower but like to have the option of a bath and on the occasions when I'm thoroughly chilled a hot bath is the only thing that warms me up.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am just preparing for a trip out tomorrow.

My (now former) parish priest is being ordained bishop at Westminster Cathedral tomorrow. A group of us from my parish are going down to spectate. It's quite a distance (6.30 start for a noon kick-off) to do in one day on a coach, so we'll be picnicking down the M1.

Should be interesting, but we're all a bit gutted as he was very well liked and had only been with us 7 months (it's possible these things are connected, I wouldn't like to speculate [Biased] ). So long as no one starts singing, we'll be fine.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Oh, hell. The US snowstorm is heading our way, bringing rain and flood warnings and a possible 8" of rain.

Storm tracks can change but best to keep an eye on the forecasts over today and tomorrow. [Frown]

I know, enough. Don't get me wrong, I have immense compassion for those caught in the snow of the US and those who have lost their lives, and involved in the clear-up but more rain? Seriously? And sheep are busy lambing, the poor farmers I hope they have their sheep in. Homes which were flooded are more or less dry and I'm worried they will flood again.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had friends from UK here for the last three weeks and I had the onerous task yesterday of telling them that when they land the weather might be a trifle difficult.

They were not impressed!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
D's bathroom is on the top floor, with the bath below the slope of the roof, and would probably have been a more sensible site for a shower. I have trouble standing up in it, so I imagine it's a lot worse for him. [Big Grin]

Mine is on the middle floor, and has far more space, but for some reason a previous owner put a shower-stall in it, although there would be ample room for a bath.

I don't understand. If you can't stand up in D's bath, you couldn't use a shower stall in that space at all. At least with a bath there are things you can do sitting down...
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I probably didn't describe it all that well; there's about a foot of flat ceiling above the tap/shower-head end before the slope of the roof kicks in, so it's possible to stand at that end, and shower basins tend to be a little lower to the floor than baths, which would give a bit of extra space.

Talking of showers, that's a v. scary forecast - eight inches of rain???? [Eek!]

Stay safe everyone. [Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Herself visited in hospital this morning, apparently a little after we had gone two nurses visited with her blood sugar results and gave her a right dressing down which will probably be reinforced by the Dr sometime soon.

Guests should be boarding the first flight on their way home about now. Himself and I are both shattered - he has gone to bed and I shall be heading for mine very soon.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy the sleep WW and the sense of quiet after the guests. I enjoy that feeling after having had a family of parents and grandchildren sleep overnight here. Fortunately that does not happen often.

Prayers for herself too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the dismal start to the day (cricket), I'm now a little relieved after having won an appeal against my local council for wrongfully revoking my single occupier discount for council tax. [Razz]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is going on with councils. Mine revoked mine too. I assume it's because they are increasingly strapped for cash so are finding areas they might be able to get more income from and changing first and requiring you to action to get it back.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:

Quite the opposite for me. I hate baths and can never get comfortable in them. On the other hand, I find a long, hot shower is excellent for clearing the mind and is particularly helpful when I have an engineering problem to solve. Finishing off with a brief cold shower to stop the sweating and shivering is stimulating and refreshing, and is my perfect start to the day.

My Dear Wife, who is a librarian and should treat books better, can soak in the bath for an hour or more reading while I bring her mugs of coffee.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
My Dear Wife, who is a librarian and should treat books better, can soak in the bath for an hour or more reading while I bring her mugs of coffee.

Does she pour the coffee into the bath to keep it warm? If not, that water must be getting pretty cold by the time she comes out, an hour after getting in. Unless she can withstand scalding temperatures at the start.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

Does she pour the coffee into the bath to keep it warm? If not, that water must be getting pretty cold by the time she comes out, an hour after getting in. Unless she can withstand scalding temperatures at the start.
No - she tops it up all the time. One hand on the tap, one on the book. I'm glad she doesn't drive like that.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

quote:

Maybe it's a librarian thing. I do that too - though I do it less now I do most of my reading via my Kindle.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The new boiler is being fitted tomorrow - hurrah!

The engineer person eventually condemned it as it was needing part after part after part. Luckily it was 100% insured, so that's £1,400 we won't have to fork out!

Baaaath tomorrow, yay!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... I do it less now I do most of my reading via my Kindle.

Probably just as well ... [Eek!]

Glad you got sorted out, Boogie - there's nothing worse than dysfunctional plumbing.

There's a batch of freshly-made French sticks in the kitchen - help yourselves. [Smile]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Glad you got sorted out, Boogie - there's nothing worse than dysfunctional plumbing.

[Killing me] Snarf!

Know that from experience, do you little piggy? [Biased]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Still knackered after having guests for 3 weeks, it's a bit like the jet lag they'll doubtless be feeling but without the cold winds and gales and rain.

[Big Grin]

What is excellent is to be eating less, despite Himself's best efforts! Today a normal breakfast and since then a little beans on toast [WW-style] and then a light fruit salad and that will be me for the day.

Herself is still in hospital but might possibly be discharged tomorrow or Friday - she is happy about this and I have told her I am happy as long as she stays on her diet and keeps her blood sugar low - she is 40 in March so this is her last chance to have the babies as they have said no more IVF after 40th birthday. She really has to toe the line and do this but her blood sugar is all over the place.

A birthday card has arrived from a shipmate in Switzerland so many thanks - you know who you are!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Good luck to Herself.

My niece had last chance IVF and now has 3 year old twins who keep us all on our toes!

Boiler man is still here so we suffer a little for great impending gain. No water, no gas no electricity just now - erk!

I have been head-hunted!! I work one afternoon a week doing art work with year six children in a primary school. A visiting head teacher asked for my details so I'm going to do the same for her. It feels great to still be wanted and appreciated for what I do!

(But two afternoons a week is quite enough w*rk thanks - hehe!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

[Killing me] Snarf!

Know that from experience, do you little piggy? [Biased]

I'm sure I don't know what you mean ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Well, just place her mugs a little bit too far away for her to reach - that'll teach her!

On the other hand, you may prefer to enjoy the Peace and Quiet while she is immersed (unless, of course, your plumbing is so dysfunctional that it continually gurgles and groans).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The taps over my bath come out from the wall at right angles to the bath, about three quarters down its length (rather than at one end as is more usual here). This means I can easily reach the hot tap for a top up without moving the rest of my body - perfect for reading in the bath. I don't have anyone to bring me cups of tea though [Waterworks]

A friend of mine trialled a plastic map reading pouch so she could read her kindle in the bath, but I'm not brave enough to try that.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

You can get special sealed bags for electronic devices...perfect for tab each, so I'm told, equally good for reading one in the bath!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016